• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space |OT|

Philthy

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
Those green cases can be stomped for items? Damn and here I thought they were nothing.

I felt dumb when I realized the blue lockers can be opened. I didn't know you could even open the lockers! Can't get the red ones opened, though.

Alex P

I'm stuck again. Chapter 5 I believe.

Back in the medical pavilion. I've met the guy who goes crazy, he sent the regenerative necromorph after me the one time. I made it out. Now I see him a second time and I get locked in an examination room with the regenerative necromorph again and WAY too many others. Is there a secret to this or do I have to take them all out? Because I've been trying for almost two hours. Fuck, I knew Hard was a bad idea.

Draft

I only made it through chapter 2 last night before heading to bed, but that still entailed like 2 1/2 hours of playtime. The greatest compliment I can pay the game is that when I started, I cracked open a delicious Newcastle, and when I finally paused the game to go take a piss, I realized I'd left a third of the damn thing untouched after the first few minutes of playing.

A Newcastle! I let it get warm!

This game is basically amazing. This game is, in a lot of ways, more of a spiritual successor to System Shock 2 than Bioshock ever was. The character customization is not exactly RPG level, but it is still WAY up there. You have a ton of choices on how to proceed.

Combat is immensely satisfying. The atmosphere is top notch. The sound design is top notch. The graphics are top notch. The UI is top notch. Every part of the game shines with polish. Dead Space was clearly a labor of love from a talented team of people, and that shows everywhere.

My initial hype for Dead Space was born of its similarity to RE4. What I am pleased to report is that as much as it has in common with the True Game of Forever, there's just as much that Dead Space does differently.

Absolutely a huge game, highly recommended, and a real contender for GOTY.

EA. Challenge Everything. Renegade Team. :worship

ultron87

Most of the way through chapter 3.

Most intense moment so far
When the tentacle thing grabs you as you enter a corridor and it starts slowly dragging you towards its death hole. I started out by frantically hitting the A button, but that did nothing. I was about to helplessly let it drag me to my death when I realized I could still shoot. That was awesome and had been nicely foreshadowed by the various small holes you see punched through walls

I dunno about all you people comparing this to Bioshock, but this game's aesthetic is so close to Doom 3's that there can be no argument. It's like Doom 3 with enemies that don't happen to be flying skeletons with rocket launchers.

Fonds

Draft said:
I only made it through chapter 2 last night before heading to bed, but that still entailed like 2 1/2 hours of playtime. The greatest compliment I can pay the game is that when I started, I cracked open a delicious Newcastle, and when I finally paused the game to go take a piss, I realized I'd left a third of the damn thing untouched after the first few minutes of playing.

This game is basically amazing. This game is, in a lot of ways, more of a spiritual successor to System Shock 2 than Bioshock ever was. The character customization is not exactly RPG level, but it is still WAY up there. You have a ton of choices on how to proceed.

Combat is immensely satisfying. The atmosphere is top notch. The sound design is top notch. The graphics are top notch. The UI is top notch. Every part of the game shines with polish. Dead Space was clearly a labor of love from a talented team of people, and that shows everywhere.

My initial hype for Dead Space was born of its similarity to RE4. What I am pleased to report is that as much as it has in common with the True Game of Forever, there's just as much that Dead Space does differently.

Good to hear, especially from you.

garath

Oh and it's worth mentioning separately, the UI is amazing. I can't believe no one thought to do a UI like this one before but it is splendid. Really aids the atmosphere.

Philthy

ultron87 said:
I dunno about all you people comparing this to Bioshock, but this game's aesthetic is so close to Doom 3's that there can be no argument. It's like Doom 3 with enemies that don't happen to be flying skeletons with rocket launchers.

This is what I was getting as well. With a hell of a lot more lighting, or at least a way to turn the lighting on.. Sometimes. They handle it the way Doom 3 SHOULD have handled it. The only downside I can think of for this game is that the creatures don't seem to be all that detailed for some reason. Your main character and the other people you are with all look fantastic, but the creature models seem like they're from last generation, while everything else looks current.

Either way, this game is awesome. Not quite as scary as Doom 3 was for me, but it is much more enjoyable so far I think. The puzzles, weapons, and zero G are a BLAST.

This has been really well-received throughout the 'net. It would be almost remiss of me not to support such an apparently top-notch single-player survival-horror/action game given that is among my favorite genre/subgenres in gaming. Depends though on CC having it (for $10 card) or Best Buy matching.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
o dear god. the refueling station. the broken tram. in the thick fog. the necromorph roars.

This game god damn wins

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I just beat it. Holy shit holy shit holy shit. Everyone on the team gets free sexual favors if they come to my place.

Dead Space just said "ante up" to every other game on the market this year.

what a fucking badass game. Oh god wow.

Draft

Y2Kev said:
I LOVED it.

I'm credits are HUUUUGE. This game better sell like a fucking shitton.
Just out of curiosity, and maybe spoiler this for the more sensitive, but at the end of the game, how upgraded were you? What level suit? What level HP/air supply? How many guns had you maxed out? That sort of thing.

garath

Draft said:
Just out of curiosity, and maybe spoiler this for the more sensitive, but at the end of the game, how upgraded were you? What level suit? What level HP/air supply? How many guns had you maxed out? That sort of thing.

And total playtime?

Y2Kev

My plasma cutter was maxed out in terms of damage and upgraded in capacity and reload time. After I got the level 4 suit schematic I just switched over to the Scorpion Rig since it was a marginal upgrade and I then spent my power nodes on maxing out HP (did not touch air). I have a few upgrades in the Ripper and one power upgrade in the Line Gun.

This isn't really a huge spoiler but it is about a post-game bonus:
you get 10 power nodes upon completion

Not a story or gameplay spoiler, but don't put your controller down when you beat the game.

Game clock says 9 hours, but that doesn't count deaths and stuff...I'm gonna guess it was closer to 11 just based on my memory.

Somnia

Don't know if its been mentioned, but for those comparing doom 3 stuff with this there is a text file you pick up early into the game that talks about a Carmack. I assume its homage to the Carmack.

Zeliard

I've decided that even though the PC version is out in 4 days, and I'd probably be able to max it out and then some, I'm gonna go snag the PS3 version after work today. I just want to play this game, badly, and I know for a fact that I'll love it (and I also need to fill out my PS3 library a bit more).

One thing that makes me less hesitant to pull the trigger on this compared to most other games is the inclusion of New Game +. I've said it before and I'll say it again, New Game + should be mandatory for every game out there that it would work for, which is the vast majority of them. That option alone adds immeasurable replay value to a game, especially one that's combat-heavy and doesn't feature multiplayer.

I can easily see Dead Space being one of those very few games where I start a new game literally right after watching the end credits roll (I also did this with Rachet & Clank: Future and Ninja Gaiden 2, as far as this gen goes). R&C: Future took it to another level though by allowing you to actually keep upgrading weapons over the usual limit and to snag new armor exclusively in New Game +, which was a truly awesome touch, and one I'm not expecting Dead Space to feature. These are things that devs need to be doing for their single-player games.

Draft said:
This game is basically amazing. This game is, in a lot of ways, more of a spiritual successor to System Shock 2 than Bioshock ever was.

This is promising.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Y2Kev said:
My plasma cutter was maxed out in terms of damage and upgraded in capacity and reload time. After I got the level 4 suit schematic I just switched over to the Scorpion Rig since it was a marginal upgrade and I then spent my power nodes on maxing out HP (did not touch air). I have a few upgrades in the Ripper and one power upgrade in the Line Gun.

This isn't really a huge spoiler but it is about a post-game bonus:
you get 10 power nodes upon completion

Not a story or gameplay spoiler, but don't put your controller down when you beat the game.

Game clock says 9 hours, but that doesn't count deaths and stuff...I'm gonna guess it was closer to 11 just based on my memory.

This is a brilliant idea! Glad to hear you liked it all the way through. Work is dragging by at a snail's pace, argh. Of course then I have to wait until late tonight anyway to get the full effect...

stuminus3

I just spent some time reading some of the comments on this forum from back when the game was first announced.

It's amazing how sometimes the GAF can misfire so wildly, yet never learns from past mistakes. :lol

Captain N

Alex P said:
I'm stuck again. Chapter 5 I believe.

Back in the medical pavilion. I've met the guy who goes crazy, he sent the regenerative necromorph after me the one time. I made it out. Now I see him a second time and I get locked in an examination room with the regenerative necromorph again and WAY too many others. Is there a secret to this or do I have to take them all out? Because I've been trying for almost two hours. Fuck, I knew Hard was a bad idea.

just push in the right stick and it will tell you where to go from there.

Draft

So that's great. Just like I thought, you need to make actual decisions regarding your character's development. Favoring one weapon over others, or concentrating on armor or the stasis power or the like. Very neat, very good.

Y2Kev

Alex:
do you see the cryogenic chamber in the center of the room? You have to chop his legs off and then run to the panel that activates the chamber, freezing him. You cannot kill him, so you are supposed to run if you don't see the chamber.

Captain N

I'm in Chapter 5 and will someone give me some tips...
I am at the initate feeding system and I press it..and nothing really happens.

Costanza said:
I think it will. Everyone's been saying its sold out everywhere. Unless they just undershipped...
it's a bit of both.

i genuinely hate to say i called this ages ago. Dead Space has been Bioshocked. essentially, it's flown under the radar until about a week or two before release. many many companies base their first shipments on preorder numbers which is usually okay...

but when hype for a game suddenly balloons out of nowhere just before release, the first shipment is going to be woefully inadequate. i've been saying all along that it'd happen to Dead Space. i've been telling everyone at the EB i work at part time to preorder if they had anything more than a passing interest... but nobody wanted to hear.

then, in the last week we suddenly get swamped with people calling about it and asking about it. telling them they need to preorder... they were all just 'nah, i'll just pick it up next week'.

turned away so many people last night. sent them all to other stores but those were sold out shortly after we started doing that. it was kind of depressing knowing all these people were missing out. i didn't take any solace in having called it.

Zeliard

plagiarize said:
it's a bit of both.

i genuinely hate to say i called this ages ago. Dead Space has been Bioshocked. essentially, it's flown under the radar until about a week or two before release. many many companies base their first shipments on preorder numbers which is usually okay...

but when hype for a game suddenly balloons out of nowhere just before release, the first shipment is going to be woefully inadequate. i've been saying all along that it'd happen to Dead Space. i've been telling everyone at the EB i work at part time to preorder if they had anything more than a passing interest... but nobody wanted to hear.

then, in the last week we suddenly get swamped with people calling about it and asking about it. telling them they need to preorder... they were all just 'nah, i'll just pick it up next week'.

turned away so many people last night. sent them all to other stores but those were sold out shortly after we started doing that. it was kind of depressing knowing all these people were missing out. i didn't take any solace in having called it.

I wouldn't say the demand is very heavy as a general rule. I'm going to pick Dead Space up from Circuit City after work today since it's on my way, and when I called this morning they said they had 15 copies of the PS3 version alone. So, your mileage may vary. If the big game shops like EB and Gamestop are sold out, try something like Circuit City or Best Buy.

Alright I know I'm a little late to the party here but wow... this game is amazing.

Just got to chapter 5 after about 6 hours of game time (in game clock says less but I know I've died so much and it doesn't add the time up)

Starting on hard difficulty I thought was a mistake at first. I was honestly battling for my health and ammo at every turn. I've died more times then I can count on my apendages. So far the story is really interesting and I'm curious to see what's going to happen. I do feel now that I'm learning very well how to handle the different enemies and I think your almost forced to playing on hard. I'm definetly enjoying hard mode now!

Now imo, each chapter offers up something unique or awesome. For anyone that has gotten far or completed it. Does this happen throughout?

Mad props to EA for this though. THIS GAME BETTER SELL GOOD!

C.Dark.DN

Banned
I signed up for GameFly the other night so I could get this game or Saints Row 2. Problem is, they are low in stock so guess what shipped!

Lego Batman. :lol :(

My sister wants to co-op it, so I added it. Should have sorted my queue better.

PatzCU

Zeliard said:
I wouldn't say the demand is very heavy as a general rule. I'm going to pick Dead Space up from Circuit City after work today since it's on my way, and when I called this morning they said they had 15 copies of the PS3 version alone. So, your mileage may vary. If the big game shops like EB and Gamestop are sold out, try something like Circuit City or Best Buy.

I got mine from Circuit City last night, I got the last copy around 7pm. Unfortunately, I had to explain to them that it was $10 off with an instantly redeemable gift card. They ring the game up, it rings up at $49.99, and then they ring up a gift card at $10. I didn't (stupidly) realize until I got home that they had actually charged me for $10 gift card instead of taking $10 off the price of Dead Space. UGH!

Needless to say, i'll be paying another visit to Circuit City today.

Y2Kev

Captain N said:
I'm in Chapter 5 and will someone give me some tips...
I am at the initate feeding system and I press it..and nothing really happens.
Look down into the feeding system.

Zophar

Zeliard said:
For what it's worth I stepped into a Toys'R'Us looking to pick it up and there was 5-6 people there all trying to buy it and all of them were pissed off because they didn't have the game in yet.

There was a couple of copies for sale at the Best Buy right next door.

Y2Kev said:
Alex:
do you see the cryogenic chamber in the center of the room? You have to chop his legs off and then run to the panel that activates the chamber, freezing him. You cannot kill him, so you are supposed to run if you don't see the chamber.

Nah, he's talking about when:
You enter the dark flickery large surgery room and all the doors are locked. You get attacked by the big fucker and his buddies. You just gotta survive the 2 or 3 waves of enemies before Kendra unlocks the door

Alex P

fistfulofmetal said:
Nah, he's talking about when:
You enter the dark flickery large surgery room and all the doors are locked. You get attacked by the big fucker and his buddies. You just gotta survive the 2 or 3 waves of enemies before Kendra unlocks the door

Yeah, that's the part. It's kind of ridiculous.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Fuuuuck, gamefly didn't send it to me, even though I have an open slot and no other game.

I'll probably just cave and buy it tomorrow.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Draft said:

I can't wait to sit down and play this tonight. I really have a feeling I'll feel the same about it. There's not many game that get feeling of isolation right, so it's a very unique feeling when they do, and this one looks like it gets it right even from the trailers.

mizuk_i

Papercuts said:
Fuuuuck, gamefly didn't send it to me, even though I have an open slot and no other game.

I'll probably just cave and buy it tomorrow.

I did send them a support thing to complain no idea if that even helped though.

_tetsuo_ said:
o dear god. the refueling station. the broken tram. in the thick fog. the necromorph roars.

This game god damn wins

Oh how i laughed :lol

Thanks to this thread i dont think my hype could get any higher! Roll on the 24th!

Top Bottom