• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space |OT|

Nizz

I really want to get this game :( Not enough $$ on my end. A lot of this seasons' games I'll be enjoying them vicariously through GAF...

senahorse

Mar_ said:
10woca8.png

Looking forward to Dead Space. Has it already been rated by the Australian ratings thing? I'm wondering if we'll have another banned game on our hands.

Yes, MA+

FrankT

MikeE21286 said:
I saw that this got a 6.5 in the newest (dec) issue of OXM.

Anyone else confirm this?

Also in that issue: (FYI)
Fallout 3 -10
Fable 2 - 9.5

Saw that on another message board as well. Not sure if it is true however as I normally get my copy well before they hit the store and I believe the source said they saw it in store. However, knowing OXM and their scoring it could very well be true.

Dartastic

Jtyettis said:
Saw that on another message board as well. Not sure if it is true however as I normally get my copy well before they hit the store and I believe the source said they saw it in store. However, knowing OXM and their scoring it could very well be true.

If that is the actual score, OXM is stupid and wrong. This game=very good. :D

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I preordered on EB and they sent me a code for a free Scorpion Rig...but the code doesn't work. WTF. :(

Wag

I guess I will be in the minority by saying I will be getting the PC version. I have the hardware for it (E6600@3.2GHz, 8800GT SLI, Vista 64), so why not? In any event, I also have the 360 Wireless Controller for Windows so if I wanted to use that instead of KB+M I could use that too.

It's nice to be able to play PC games on my HDTV.:D

todahawk

Azar said:
Something akin to RE4's Mercs mode sure would've been a nice addition to the singleplayer, but this still sounds fucking fantastic.

same here, i was really hoping they'd have something like mercs for deadspace. maybe a patch or DLC?

I'm picking this up Tuesday on the way home from work.

Wag said:
I guess I will be in the minority by saying I will be getting the PC version. I have the hardware for it (E6600@3.2GHz, 8800GT SLI, Vista 64), so why not? In any event, I also have the 360 Wireless Controller for Windows so if I wanted to use that instead of KB+M I could use that too.

You're never alone when you're a PC gamer.

*leans in for hug*

HugBasket

Banned
those comics were awesome, i'm totally getting this game now

at first i didn't think there would be much story to back it but after those i have a ton of faith in this game.

dear every other company releasing a game this fall, ea just kicked your hype building ass

Wag said:

Me too!
33287kz.png

Has there been any impressions or pictures from it? I hope it can be made to look at least as good as the console versions.

Azar

greenjerk said:
same here, i was really hoping they'd have something like mercs for deadspace. maybe a patch or DLC?

I'm picking this up Tuesday on the way home from work.
I think it's really unlikely. =\ It'd be awesome, but I doubt it would happen.

I watched the animated comics; was awesome and getting the game day 1 now. But I can't help but feel like I would rather play the game having not seen the comics and going in with the story of what happened with the colonists left ambiguous. Granted I have no idea exactly how the storyline is going to start off in the game, but still.

Wag

WHOAguitarninja said:
Me too!
[Has there been any impressions or pictures from it? I hope it can be made to look at least as good as the console versions.
When you can run the PC version at resolutions of 1080p and above (not including enhanced AA, etc,) that alone will make it look superior to the console versions.

Wag said:
When you can run the PC version at resolutions of 1080p and above (not including enhanced AA, etc,) that alone will make it look superior to the console versions.
Definitely, but every now and then a game comes around that for no apparent reason is gimped on the PC.

Wag

WHOAguitarninja said:
Definitely, but every now and then a game comes around that for no apparent reason is gimped on the PC.
I seriously doubt this will be that one.

Jirotrom

WHOAguitarninja said:
I know what you mean... Im waiting for pc reviews as I have a 4870 waiting to be pushed a little.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
I think I might pre-order at best buy for the art book and buy the scorpion suit on PSN, which means PS3 version for me. :D

I've already pre-ordered the blu-ray movie on amazon.com

Guts Of Thor

Thorax of Odin
Still debating whether to get this or not. I'm already getting Saint's Row 2 the same day.

Did this game get pushed back by a week? I thought it was coming out on the 14th but TRU has it shipping on the 20th?

Costanza said:
I just realized that my PS3 harddrive is full and I don't want to delete anything right now. Does anyone know if the game needs an install? If it does... then 360 version it is.

also I picked up the artbook at best buy. awesome stuff :D

270145_lback.jpg

nathkenn

Borg Artiste
Guts Of Thor said:
Still debating whether to get this or not. I'm already getting Saint's Row 2 the same day.

Did this game get pushed back by a week? I thought it was coming out on the 14th but TRU has it shipping on the 20th?

Console ships on the 14th, PC on the 20th

verio

I really dislike scary games, but I so want this game. Why?! WHY?!

I'll probably pick it up if it's at TRU this week.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Never really played a PC game that has frightened me... well except maybe the original Doom and then later Doom III.

I'm probably going to play this on 360, but have my buddy hook me up with a copy on PC.

PC gamers unite.

SumGamer

I did get a chance to play the retail version of the game for 4 hours straight, courtesy of EA.

The game has a nice pace, at default difficulty, it's not too hard or too easy.

Smooth animation(with a few shoulda-done-it missing but no big deal), solid framerate.

Superb sound, biggest pros of this game, it completes the space and terrifying feeling to the game, sweet stuff. Gameplay mechanic picks up from other games but blend into one excellent game.

Story telling is great, no gameplay is interrupt, no more play-> watch-> play->watch->play kinda thing, I really dislike those. Great presentation, surprised me a few times.

Level design is really great combining with backtracking and quick waypoint which make the experience much smoother. Puzzle element is all around ship

Each weapon is more suitable against a type of alien. Upgrading is rewarding from time to time. Use rare to find 'Node' to upgrade to prevent you from buffing up too much in the early part of the game (Node can be bought for a hefty price though).

Lighting is great but not the best I've seen(It's in the space so, you know) but great.

Flame Thrower. Gotta mentioned that sweet looking baby.

Seems to has a nice length, 4 chapters in 4 hours by staying on track alone (use the waypoint). No wondering.

Nice control, almost perfect. Love it.

Spooky.

Strategic dismemberment.

My complains are
- A bit too slow to turn around, it's kinda help building the tension but kinda annoying at the same time.
- Awkward camera angle, this rarely happen but when it does, it could be fatal(Only happen to me once).
- Weapon swapping animation, it's just a little thing that bugs me. Isaac lower his right hand to his waist and pop the new weapon replace into his hand to use. You will only see this when you turn the camera facing Isaac, so it won't really bug you anyway.
- No voice for Isaac although other characters voice is great. (Dear EA, that's not what made Zelda famous)

Last week, I thought I'll get this game used. Now, I think I'll be pick this up day one, no regret.

BTW, I also heard that in the PC version the level layout and objective location is different from the console version as well.

Linkzg said:
Why sadness? there is no installation on the PS3.

And is it 1080p native or upscaled?

I really need to stay out of this thread. It just makes the fact that I don't own a PS3 or 360 unbearable. But, I'm so interested in this game and I want to know what people are saying.

RadioHeadAche said:
I really need to stay out of this thread. It just makes the fact that I don't own a PS3 or 360 unbearable. But, I'm so interested in this game and I want to know what people are saying.

$199.99......jump in :D :lol

Concept17

RadioHeadAche said:

You know what you must do.

Linkzg said:
Why sadness? there is no installation on the PS3.

And is it 1080p native or upscaled?

Uh....when was the last time any major release was native 1080p? You better just hope they both 720p :lol

Costanza said:
I just realized that my PS3 harddrive is full and I don't want to delete anything right now. Does anyone know if the game needs an install? If it does... then 360 version it is.

also I picked up the artbook at best buy. awesome stuff :D

Its 600KB. That is nothing, very small. Remember, PS3 was the lead platform for this game. No shitty port here.

MWS Natural said:
Uh....when was the last time any major release was native 1080p? You better just hope they both 720p :lol

Then why do they list 1080p on the back there? I checked my other PS3 games and the only other one that says it is GT5p.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
chespace said:
Never really played a PC game that has frightened me... well except maybe the original Doom and then later Doom III.

I'm probably going to play this on 360, but have my buddy hook me up with a copy on PC.

PC gamers unite.
There's a PC version? Oh.

I'll buy that version then. *heads off to find best UK pre-order price*

Linkzg said:
Then why do they list 1080p on the back there? I checked my other PS3 games and the only other one that says it is GT5p.

Because 1080p is one of the "Supported HD Video Outputs" as listed on the back. That has nothing to do what resolution the game is rendered at.

chespace said:

PC gamers unite.

You need to play System Shock 2 friend.....like fucking now!

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
AgentOtaku said:
You need to play System Shock 2 friend.....like fucking now!

Played that actually. And yeah, those monkey sounds... fuck you for reminding me again! :lol

SS2 rocked.

Truant said:
:lol

It only took two or three AP rounds to kill them.
:lol

It didn't stop the game from being scary, though!

What I like most about System Shock 2, is that it places you in situations where you can freak the fuck out, and waste all of your stuff. You can't do this, though. You need to be smart. You need to keep a cool head and make sure you use what's right -- because if you don't, you're screwing up your chances for survival.

Dead Space is actually reminding me of System Shock 2 A LOT. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if there was a twist in the game involving Shodan or The Many.

Seeing as how my 360, PS3 and PC are all hooked up to the same 37" 1080p panel, the same 5.1 setup and played from the same couch I'll be going with the version that lets me play at native resolution.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
WHOAguitarninja said:
Have there been any impressions of the PC version? I'm curious if PC users will be able to up the shadow resolution since it appears rather low on consoles.
We could in Mass Effect, so hopefully that's the case here too.
WHOAguitarninja said:
wassup.jpg

Best System Shock 2 quote:

"What is a drop of rain, compared to the storm?
What is a thought, compared to the mind?
Our unity is full of wonder which your tiny individualism cannot even conceive."
-The Many

todahawk

SumGamer said:
I did get a chance to play the retail version of the game for 4 hours straight, courtesy of EA.

The game has a nice pace, at default difficulty, it's not too hard or too easy.

Smooth animation(with a few shoulda-done-it missing but no big deal), solid framerate.

Superb sound, biggest pros of this game, it completes the space and terrifying feeling to the game, sweet stuff. Gameplay mechanic picks up from other games but blend into one excellent game.

Story telling is great, no gameplay is interrupt, no more play-> watch-> play->watch->play kinda thing, I really dislike those. Great presentation, surprised me a few times.

Level design is really great combining with backtracking and quick waypoint which make the experience much smoother. Puzzle element is all around ship

Each weapon is more suitable against a type of alien. Upgrading is rewarding from time to time. Use rare to find 'Node' to upgrade to prevent you from buffing up too much in the early part of the game (Node can be bought for a hefty price though).

Lighting is great but not the best I've seen(It's in the space so, you know) but great.

Flame Thrower. Gotta mentioned that sweet looking baby.

Seems to has a nice length, 4 chapters in 4 hours by staying on track alone (use the waypoint). No wondering.

Nice control, almost perfect. Love it.

Spooky.

Strategic dismemberment.

My complains are
- A bit too slow to turn around, it's kinda help building the tension but kinda annoying at the same time.
- Awkward camera angle, this rarely happen but when it does, it could be fatal(Only happen to me once).
- Weapon swapping animation, it's just a little thing that bugs me. Isaac lower his right hand to his waist and pop the new weapon replace into his hand to use. You will only see this when you turn the camera facing Isaac, so it won't really bug you anyway.
- No voice for Isaac although other characters voice is great. (Dear EA, that's not what made Zelda famous)

Last week, I thought I'll get this game used. Now, I think I'll be pick this up day one, no regret.

BTW, I also heard that in the PC version the level layout and objective location is different from the console version as well.

awesome. thanks for posting your impressions.

Top Bottom