• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space |OT|

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Dr. Acid Avatar said:
Does this game have multiple difficulty settings? Perhaps I'm wrong but there's only one setting?
You have Easy, Normal and Hard right off the bat and you unlock Impossible upon completion.

Chiggs

Gold Member
loganclaws said:
The PC Zone review mentioned that the PC version has terrible mouse input lag and accuracy. It's really too bad, this happens when they emulate the analog stick through the mouse. Extremely annoying, feels like your mouse is going through molasses.

Thanks for the info. Looks like I'll be playing this with a controller.

Stike

So, since there is no info about the suits in the OP (aside the pics):

It looks like both suits are available on both online networks (PSN/XBL) but only one suit is a limited time free download. The other suit is $2.49.

I downloaded the Obsidian suit already, yet the game still has to arrive :lol

sol_bad

Karma said:
I must be blind because all I see is Dolby Digital. What audio support does the PS3 version have that makes it superior to the 360 version?

The PS3 always has superior sound! :eek:P
Like I said in another thread I am not sure as to why this is. But every multi platform game I've played has sounded clear and crisper on the PS3. Also bass is much more defined on the PS3.
Bioshock in particular sounds way too bassy on the X360. It's like the bass is over powerful and drowns out the other audio. It's hard to explain what I mean but if you have watched a movie in Dolby Digital and than in Dolby True HD you'd know what I mean.

Draft

K.Jack said:
MOMMA NOOOOOOOO!
Most people who trumpet praises for SS2 (not saying you) haven't even [I]played[/I] the original to know the difference.

Anyway, I just don't see two many more ways to sneak Shodan into a game, without the story coming off as contrived.[/QUOTE]That's me, actually. Have never played SS1. Bought SS2 on a whim because it was in a bargain bin. It is now one of my favorite games.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
greenjerk said:
Ars thinks Dead Space is pretty scary... http://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.ars/2008/10/10/is-dead-space-scary-yes\

It doesn't look like I'll be able to pick the game up day one but I'll be getting it Wednesday on the way home. I'm gonna turn off all the lights and hook up my headphones and hopefully get the shit scared outta me.
Or buy some depends. This way you will be guaranteed to withstand all the scares and hee haw. Or do what I did and install a toilet near the TV so I can play it without regrets :O

ThomPayne

K.Jack said:
I pride myself on having not seen one second of gameplay, other than the commercial than I saw by accident last night. Or maybe I'm stupid...
Same here. Just the general gist of the game and small amount of screens I've seen have been enough to make me want the game, and be completely surprised by everything in it.

newsguy

What's up with the story order going Comic -> Movie -> Game if they're shipping the game before the movie dammit! I'm going to have to Tarantino this bitch.

cresto

This game looks fucking awesome, and scary as hell. My only but is that its SP only and I usually can't justify a game for that alone. I did pick up Mass Effect and had an absolute ball playing it (minus the stupid disc read error since my replacement unit sucks balls). And I know I have to pick up Fallout 3 because, well, its Fallout 3.

So, I know it is still early, but do you guys think you can convince me to spend 60 bucks when i only make 70 a week for this game?

Movement

ergo said:
This game looks fucking awesome, and scary as hell. My only but is that its SP only and I usually can't justify a game for that alone. I did pick up Mass Effect and had an absolute ball playing it (minus the stupid disc read error since my replacement unit sucks balls). And I know I have to pick up Fallout 3 because, well, its Fallout 3.

So, I know it is still early, but do you guys think you can convince me to spend 60 bucks when i only make 70 a week for this game?

You only make 70 a week? I hope you dont live on your own.
But then don't buy it, rent it.

ergo said:

You mean, this thread still hasn't convinced you yet?

Truespeed

ergo said:

The game was recommended by Oprah's Video Game club. Is that convincing enough?

sonicmj1

newsguy said:
What's up with the story order going Comic -> Movie -> Game if they're shipping the game before the movie dammit! I'm going to have to Tarantino this bitch.

If the trailer was anything to go by, you should ignore the movie.

newsguy

sonicmj1 said:
If the trailer was anything to go by, you should ignore the movie.

Really? Is there a link (please don't bein the OP). I watched the comic and while it was by no means amazing, it's nice to have a backstory.

Truespeed

AgentOtaku said:
Trophies...yay or nay??

EDIT: nm...reread the first page, so suppose they should be in it

Only 49 of them. Plus the secret trophies:

Brute Force ( Bronze Trophy)
Kill a Brute

Exterminator ( Bronze Trophy)
Kill the Leviathan

Get off my ship! ( Bronze Trophy)
Kill the Slug Boss

Mindless Prey ( Bronze Trophy)
Kill the Hive Mind

Playing Catch ( Bronze Trophy)
Catch a Brute or Leviathan Pod using Kinesis

Kickin it ( Bronze Trophy)
Escape from a Lurker's grab attack 10 times

Don't get cocky, kid ( Bronze Trophy)
Survive the ADS Canon with over 50% Shield strength remaining

Slugger ( Bronze Trophy)
Kill the Slug Boss with more than 50% Shield strength remaining

cresto

Eltacoman said:
You only make 70 a week? I hope you dont live on your own.
But then don't buy it, rent it.

I only work 1 day a week because I have class 6 days a week and its only just for small things. I am spoiled and my parents take care of the rest. haha, im a lucky bastard.

RavenFox

Banned
Event Horizon
Super Nova &
Sunshine

My top 3 in preparation to watch before the game launches. Check them out fellas or watch them again.

SonComet

newsguy said:
The movie is awful. Just awful. Don't worry about getting it.

Tokubetsu

Costanza said:
Sunshine <3333

Such a good movie.

Yea, the atmosphere in Sunshine was PERFECT throughout. Even with the full crew, it still felt like every character was "alone" up there. The build up to the end was great. Really gorgeous looking movie too. If any part of the presentation in DS (atleast, the space stuff) reminds me of Sunshine while playing I'd fall COMPLETELY in love.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Okay, after reading the new reviews, I'm re-hyped. Too bad I gotta wait an extra week for the pc version.

LukeSmith

Tokubetsu said:
Yea, the atmosphere in Sunshine was PERFECT throughout. Even with the full crew, it still felt like every character was "alone" up there. The build up to the end was great. Really gorgeous looking movie too. If any part of the presentation in DS (atleast, the space stuff) reminds me of Sunshine while playing I'd fall COMPLETELY in love.

Aside from the totally hackneyed, forced introduction of a completely contrived and uninteresting "villain."

Shawsie64

Banned
LukeSmith said:
Aside from the totally hackneyed, forced introduction of a completely contrived and uninteresting "villain."

Yeah i didnt like that movie, it was pretty much the same as event horizon only event horizon was good.

HugBasket

Banned
ergo said:

I know the story of Fallout 3, I've seen the ending. Seriously, get Dead Space.

This GI-Joe PSA is a brief summary of the Fallout 3 story.

Tokubetsu

LukeSmith said:

Yeah, i could have done without that whole shit but I guess they needed to go somewhere right?

cresto

Tokubetsu said:

Definitely one of my top sci-fi movies. Didn't really follow what the hell was up with the second half of the movie. Is it based off a novel (like everything these days)?

Xater

RavenFox said:
Event Horizon
Super Nova &
Sunshine

My top 3 in preparation to watch before the game launches. Check them out fellas or watch them again.

You are missing The Thing there.

RPS37

Matt Leone's 1UP.com review is up.
B+

Ars Technica said:
We've been looking forward to Dead Space for quite a long time now, and I had the entirely terrible task of spending most of last night and today playing the game. While I won't talk much about specifics until we run our feature review, I will say one thing: the game is scary.

Matt Leone said:
I've never understood the appeal of scary games -- or movies, for that matter. Considering Dead Space is marketed as a horror game -- "a bloodcurdling interactive horror experience," according to the official site -- I found myself strangely comfortable with it at first. Then I realized something: It isn't really a horror game. Or at least, not a very scary one

Dante

Having my buddy pick this up for me at the EA store for $20 Can't wait, It's pretty rare that I use my EA hook-ups too often, but it seems this year I'll be using them a lot.

Momar

aka Ryder
Bah at the negative PC impressions, now I gotta get this for console :| PS3 it is then (until more PC impressions come)

Top Bottom