• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space |OT|

Truant

U K Narayan said:
:lol

It didn't stop the game from being scary, though!

What I like most about System Shock 2, is that it places you in situations where you can freak the fuck out, and waste all of your stuff. You can't do this, though. You need to be smart. You need to keep a cool head and make sure you use what's right -- because if you don't, you're screwing up your chances for survival.

Dead Space is actually reminding me of System Shock 2 A LOT. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if there was a twist in the game involving Shodan or The Many.

That would blow my mind.

Costanza

Banned
SumGamer said:
I did get a chance to play the retail version of the game for 4 hours straight, courtesy of EA.

The game has a nice pace, at default difficulty, it's not too hard or too easy.

Smooth animation(with a few shoulda-done-it missing but no big deal), solid framerate.

Superb sound, biggest pros of this game, it completes the space and terrifying feeling to the game, sweet stuff. Gameplay mechanic picks up from other games but blend into one excellent game.

Story telling is great, no gameplay is interrupt, no more play-> watch-> play->watch->play kinda thing, I really dislike those. Great presentation, surprised me a few times.

Level design is really great combining with backtracking and quick waypoint which make the experience much smoother. Puzzle element is all around ship

Each weapon is more suitable against a type of alien. Upgrading is rewarding from time to time. Use rare to find 'Node' to upgrade to prevent you from buffing up too much in the early part of the game (Node can be bought for a hefty price though).

Lighting is great but not the best I've seen(It's in the space so, you know) but great.

Flame Thrower. Gotta mentioned that sweet looking baby.

Seems to has a nice length, 4 chapters in 4 hours by staying on track alone (use the waypoint). No wondering.

Nice control, almost perfect. Love it.

Spooky.

Strategic dismemberment.

My complains are
- A bit too slow to turn around, it's kinda help building the tension but kinda annoying at the same time.
- Awkward camera angle, this rarely happen but when it does, it could be fatal(Only happen to me once).
- Weapon swapping animation, it's just a little thing that bugs me. Isaac lower his right hand to his waist and pop the new weapon replace into his hand to use. You will only see this when you turn the camera facing Isaac, so it won't really bug you anyway.
- No voice for Isaac although other characters voice is great. (Dear EA, that's not what made Zelda famous)

Last week, I thought I'll get this game used. Now, I think I'll be pick this up day one, no regret.

BTW, I also heard that in the PC version the level layout and objective location is different from the console version as well.
Great impressions. Can't wait to play it.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
I pride myself on having not seen one second of gameplay, other than the commercial than I saw by accident last night. Or maybe I'm stupid...

Day One. I'll start it after my second playthrough of Silent Hill Homecoming. Survival Horror - I love thee.

Despite the iffy-dialogue, the animated comic series is really interesting. I love what I see so far, was hyped from its E3 debut, and now I can't believe it'll be here Wednesday. Awesome.

GodofWine

I have such a hard time buying a game with no online / MP component now....but I want this....aw hell...PS3 day one I presume...

( <----- going poor )

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Karma said:
What audio support does Dead Space PS3 have?

270145_lback.jpg

HugBasket

Banned
U K Narayan said:

It didn't stop the game from being scary, though!

What I like most about System Shock 2, is that it places you in situations where you can freak the fuck out, and waste all of your stuff. You can't do this, though. You need to be smart. You need to keep a cool head and make sure you use what's right -- because if you don't, you're screwing up your chances for survival.

Dead Space is actually reminding me of System Shock 2 A LOT. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if there was a twist in the game involving Shodan or The Many.
doesn't ea own the rights to system shock?

Munin

As long as things like "Strategically dismember...limb by limb" are printed as features on game boxarts, people shouldn't act so surprised when their beloved games become subject to criticism by outsiders.

Stuneseht

After watching all of the comics and the dev videos...
I Pre-ordered It yesterday!!
Is it me or does Dead Space seem to be this years Bioshock

HugBasket

Banned
Stuneseht said:
After watching all of the comics and the dev videos...
I Pre-ordered It yesterday!!
Is it me or does Dead Space seem to be this years Bioshock
Not even close.

This forum the day the Bioshock demo appeared was insane. Interest in the game appeared out of nowhere and the forum became full of Bioshock jokes. "The cake is a lie" doesn't even touch the effect Bioshock had on the forum.

I figure those who know of the game will buy it and those who don't won't.

Dezcom

Kweh said:
Anyone know if this uses the controller triggers alot?

IGN says:

-PS3-
Aim - L1
Run - L2
Fire/Melee - R1
Secondary Fire/Stomp - R2

-360-
Aim - Left Trigger
Run - Left Bumper
Fire/Stomp - Right Trigger
Secondary Fire/Melee - Right Bumper

Kweh

Dezcom said:
IGN says:

-PS3-
Aim - L1
Run - L2
Fire/Melee - R1
Secondary Fire/Stomp - R2

-360-
Aim - Left Trigger
Run - Left Bumper
Fire/Stomp - Right Trigger
Secondary Fire/Melee - Right Bumper

Thanks. Will probably get the PS3 version then!

I never thought this game would come together and be great but it looks like it may have. IGN's Video Review definitely piqued my interest. Maybe I'll rent it. Don't think I want to pay full price especially with so many other big games coming right around the corner.

K.Jack

HugBasket said:
doesn't ea own the rights to system shock?
Yes, and I pray that they don't decide to use it. I'd hate to see SHODAN retconned to be shoehorned into part III.

Prezhulio

MisterAnderson said:
Who says that the PS3 version has superior sound?

teepo said:
i'll be getting the ps3 version just for the superior sound.

i think he just might be assuming the sound will be less compressed because of blu ray. (maybe optical out?) pretty big assumption though if so.

I just hope the price for this on the PC is low as fuck over here, too. Every EA PC game I see over here is dirt fucking cheap. I see Crysis, Crysis Warhead and Mass Effect floating around here for less then $20

Banned
MisterAnderson said:
Who says that the PS3 version has superior sound?

teepo said he was getting the PS3 for superior sound. I was asking what the PS3 version had that was superior. All I see is Dolby Digital which both the 360 and PS3 have.

K.Jack

Draft said:
Shodan is alive and well at the end of SS2.
This I know well. I don't believe I implied her termination, I just don't want her in every installment.

Draft

K.Jack said:
This I know well. I don't believe I implied her termination, I just don't want her in every installment.
Well what the fuck bud, she is System Shock. You don't "shoehorn" Shodan into a System Shock game. You design a System Shock game around Shodan talking shit to you the entire time.

HugBasket

Banned
just noticed this

when getting greeted to the to the ship two voices say the ships name, one sounding like a female and the other i believe to be the guy/girl who voiced The Many in SS2.

i'll have to find some gameplay of the ss2 to find out if i'm right

can't seem to find the exact spot but there is a part kind of early on where
you have a vision of the many hivemind or something, camera floats through a fleshy atmosphere and it sounds like the many is talking to you

i swear that it is the same person

piece in dead space i'm talking about http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqhRsqdBe3M&feature=related

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
The PC Zone review mentioned that the PC version has terrible mouse input lag and accuracy. It's really too bad, this happens when they emulate the analog stick through the mouse. Extremely annoying, feels like your mouse is going through molasses.

So I preordered Deadspace at Gamestop yesterday and the guy mentioned I'd get an artbook when I came in to pick up the game. So I assumed that it would also come with the code for the scorpion armor. But I just called to ask about it cause I was curious and he said all they are giving out is the artbook; he said he hasn't heard about the scorpion suit offer.

So fuck. Now I have to waste more gas today to go somewhere to preorder that offers this dumb scorpion suit so I don't feel like I'm getting ripped off.

MisterAnderson said:
So fuck. Now I have to waste more gas today to go somewhere to preorder that offers this dumb scorpion suit so I don't feel like I'm getting ripped off.

A) The Scorpion suit can be purchased through DLC for $2.50, so consider that against gas/time wasted.

B) The Scorpion suit is just going to make the game easier, and judging from reports the game is already easy.

MisterAnderson said:
So I preordered Deadspace at Gamestop yesterday and the guy mentioned I'd get an artbook when I came in to pick up the game. So I assumed that it would also come with the code for the scorpion armor. But I just called to ask about it cause I was curious and he said all they are giving out is the artbook; he said he hasn't heard about the scorpion suit offer.

http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?Product_ID=67935

Gamestop is offering it for Instore pickup or Shipped, though I preordered the game Friday and haven't received the code yet

Solideliquid said:
PS3 1080p? SWEET!

Is there an install? Unlike most I prefer to use my HDD for something useful, like making my games faster.

You can read the supported resolutions line, but can't read the box immediately to the left? :lol

edit: I guess you're referring to optional, permanent caching. Which in case it probably is an option since apparently the PS3 version has less loading.

Valkyr Junkie said:
You can read the supported resolutions line, but can't read the box immediately to the left? :lol

edit: I guess you're referring to optional, permanent caching. Which in case it probably is an option since apparently the PS3 version has less loading.

15qt36o.jpg

K.Jack said:
Yes, and I pray that they don't decide to use it. I'd hate to see SHODAN retconned to be shoehorned into part III.

It would be really nice to see a re-release of SS2, or at least make it available on Steam since I really want to play it.

K.Jack

loganclaws said:
The PC Zone review mentioned that the PC version has terrible mouse input lag and accuracy. It's really too bad, this happens when they emulate the analog stick through the mouse. Extremely annoying, feels like your mouse is going through molasses.
MOMMA NOOOOOOOO!
MommaNOOOO.jpg

I need more sauces on this :(
Draft said:
Well what the fuck bud, she is System Shock. You don't "shoehorn" Shodan into a System Shock game. You design a System Shock game around Shodan talking shit to you the entire time.

Well, you're talking to a guy who ranks the original System Shock over its sequel, and now you ask me for optimism when the original team who made it is gone:lol . They're both in my top 5 PC games of all time, but they're two unique experiences. I got that game on my twelfth birthday.... those were glorious times.

Most people who trumpet praises for SS2 (not saying you) haven't even played the original to know the difference.

Anyway, I just don't see two many more ways to sneak Shodan into a game, without the story coming off as contrived.

Top Bottom