• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space |OT|

robochimp

Well I think I got ahead of myself with selling things buying nodes and upgrading the cutter and my suit both with nodes and the level.

I don't have enough ammo to kill the brute. Are the little limbs on the brute able to be cut off for more damage. I've tried but the don't seem to be doing anything.

robochimp said:
Well I think I got ahead of myself with selling things buying nodes and upgrading the cutter and my suit both with nodes and the level.

I don't have enough ammo to kill the brute. Are the little limbs on the brute able to be cut off for more damage. I've tried but the don't seem to be doing anything.
stasis then shoot at his exposed back, I have cut the arms off from the back so try that.

robochimp said:

Blergh.

That kinda sucks. You could always try to stasis it, then grab something with TEKE and run around behind it and start launching items at it's back. You're in for a tough fight.

Jirotrom

Zeliard said:
Also alternate between the two guns, so that they don't both overheat at the same time. Only fire them both at the same time for the bigger asteroids, since they split up into more.
this... its what i did.

Zeliard

robochimp said:

If you're talking about that guy that shows up in Chapter 4, the best way to kill him is to stasis him and then shoot his back with the plasma cutter. The flamethrower works well too.

teepo

i can understand some of the low scores, since they all were played on either easy or normal so they can rush through the damn thing.

been playing this game on hard and its amazing.

Zeliard

CoilShot said:
stupid question but what is the point of upgrading air?

Yeah, I haven't seen the point of that, so far. Then again, on medium, there hasn't been any point in upgrading hit points for me either. Not when leveling up your suit increases your defense.

teepo said:
i can understand some of the low scores, since they all were played on either easy or normal so they can rush through the damn thing.

been playing this game on hard and its amazing.
Same here. It is just about perfect in terms of difficulty, although I am stuck on the turret part. Why did they have to make this part so difficult?

CoilShot

Zeliard said:
Yeah, I haven't seen the point of that, so far. Then again, on medium, there hasn't been any point in upgrading hit points for me either. Not when leveling up your suit increases your defense.
well I'm on medium also but still don't see the point of upgrading it

Movement

CoilShot said:
stupid question but what is the point of upgrading air?

I guess you haven't gotten to that part in chapter 5 i think were you have to
run across the ship to shoot the asteroids and if your suit doesn't have like 75 seconds you will die

Zeliard

Up through Chapter 5, at least, you're never in a vacuum for all that long. Nothing that a single air can wouldn't get you through, if even that. I'm assuming that changes in later chapters.

schild

Mango Positive said:
What the GOD DAMNED MOTHER FUCKING FUCK?!?!

You know the part. I don't even have to spoiler it. It's the part where you try to do something at least 20 times and never get any further. You know... the part that's virtually impossible? How do you get past that part? I can't get any god damned more coordinated than I am. The movement is too slow / imprecise to do what I need to do! What cheat code did you guys use to skip this part?

Tee hee.

Shoot the things on the columns.

Talk about the only part that drove me nuts.

Jirotrom

Eltacoman said:
I guess you haven't gotten to that part in chapter 5 i think were you have to
run across the ship to shoot the asteroids and if your suit doesn't have like 75 seconds you will die
not true... just use air cans.

Ricker

Zeliard said:
It goes by pretty quickly.

You can only carry and equip up to four weapons at a time. The rest you have to keep in the safe at the store.

Ahh damn that's why,thanks...off goes the flamethrower for now,pretty useless so far.

Now it's chapter 5:
Stupid invincible creature! Don't do that to me! I'm trapped in the area where the good doctor vents all the air into space. After that first room with the invincible dude and all the non-invincible dudes, I have virtually no ammo and no health. The only usable weapon is the charge shot, which isn't very effective. The little creatures are giving me a very hard time, as I don't have enough ammo to shoot them. I've been putting them in stasis to run by them, but then I'm eviscerated in the next room by the preggos and Mr. Invincible. I am killed before I can get the door open to the next room. I don't have a save to load to before this point, so it's either start over, or make it through with what I've got. How much further past that room do I have to go? Also, is there a decent way to kill the little creepy crawlies without the use of flame?

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
So what's the general consensus? Better/scarier/more eery with the music off or on? I'm gonna try off tonight (have been using strictly headphones so far).

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
This game seems to easy on normal, and I was getting destroyed on hard. I wish there was a nice middle ground. :/ Otherwise, I'm loving it.

bob_arctor said:
So what's the general consensus? Better/scarier/more eery with the music off or on? I'm gonna try off tonight (have been using strictly headphones so far).

I find the music in this game a bit TOO gaudy and Hollywood-horror-movie-ish. Better sense of silence and isolation when you don't have swelling strings constantly warning you about everything scary or dangerous.

Mango Positive said:
Now it's chapter 5:
Stupid invincible creature! Don't do that to me! I'm trapped in the area where the good doctor vents all the air into space. After that first room with the invincible dude and all the non-invincible dudes, I have virtually no ammo and no health. The only usable weapon is the charge shot, which isn't very effective. The little creatures are giving me a very hard time, as I don't have enough ammo to shoot them. I've been putting them in stasis to run by them, but then I'm eviscerated in the next room by the preggos and Mr. Invincible. I am killed before I can get the door open to the next room. I don't have a save to load to before this point, so it's either start over, or make it through with what I've got. How much further past that room do I have to go? Also, is there a decent way to kill the little creepy crawlies without the use of flame?

Telekinesis is your friend. Crush them with items.

That's what i love most about this game. the cluster-fucks I get into because I was an ass and didn't conserve ammo appropriately...it really makes it challenging but in a fun way.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
revolverjgw said:
I find the music in this game a bit TOO gaudy and Hollywood-horror-movie-ish. Better sense of silence and isolation when you don't have swelling strings constantly warning you about everything scary or dangerous.

Awesome. Can't wait for tonight. :D

Zeliard

bigdaddygamebot said:
Telekinesis is your friend. Crush them with items.

That's what i love most about this game. the cluster-fucks I get into because I was an ass and didn't conserve ammo appropriately...it really makes it challenging but in a fun way.

I find I've been underusing telekinesis, but it's pretty useful. There are usually a lot of random items lying around to throw at people, including explosives. TK + explosive comes in handy when dealing with those little mobs of creatures if you don't have a flamethrower on you (or ammo), and even just mobs in general.

I like the nod to Half-Life 2 with those saw blades lying around at some parts, which you can launch at enemies with kinesis.

revolverjgw said:

I want the horror movie feel. Everyone knows that if the game were "realistic", the first creature would kill you and the story would end.

Movement

Zeliard said:
I find I've been underusing telekinesis, but it's pretty useful. There are usually a lot of random items lying around to throw at people, including explosives. TK + explosive comes in handy when dealing with those little mobs of creatures if you don't have a flamethrower on you (or ammo), and even just mobs in general.

I like the nod to Half-Life 2 with those saw blades lying around at some parts, which you can launch at enemies with kinesis.

How do you launch items when you have then in kinesis?

Baron

I started my game at 10 AM a couple of days ago, and am enjoying it thoroughly. I turned it on again last night at 10 PM and was playing till almost 3 AM last night, and it was a wholly new experience in the dark night-time. I'm only playing it at night from now on.

I will say though, I am playing my game on the easy setting. I freak out too much at these scary games, near-paralysis levels of fear, and I need a super-easy game to balance that out. My game timer is at 6 hours now, and I haven't even completed Chapter 2 yet. I just play very slowly and cautiously, stopping and peering down every corner and slowly tiptoeing through new areas, retreating to safety very often. I'll easily wind up dragging my game out to 20-25 hours at this rate. I enjoy it despite the fear of cardiac arrest! :D

Zeliard said:

The medium sized "chests" that are lying around...those fuck shit up when you crank a space zombie with them. They almost always get knocked down and give you some breathing room and if you're on your game, you just Teke the chest again and get read to shoot it at the same mob or another one...

Baron said:
I started my game at 10 AM a couple of days ago, and am enjoying it thoroughly. I turned it on again last night at 10 PM and was playing till almost 3 AM last night, and it was a wholly new experience in the dark night-time. I'm only playing it at night from now on.

I will say though, I am playing my game on the easy setting. I freak out too much at these scary games, near-paralysis levels of fear, and I need a super-easy game to balance that out. My game timer is at 6 hours now, and I haven't even completed Chapter 2 yet. I just play very slowly and cautiously, stopping and peering down every corner and slowly tiptoeing through new areas, retreating to safety very often. I'll easily wind up dragging my game out to 20-25 hours at this rate. I enjoy it despite the fear of cardiac arrest! :D

I feel like a total redneck saying this, but here goes: Man up, pussy!

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Zeliard said:

I think you have 60 seconds default, right? I upgraded air once and have 90 now, there are some longer segments later on with enemies and everything too.

Halvie

Banned
Chapter 5 help:
I am in the room trying to get the alien sample I think. The room is locked and there are about 10 monsters in it..including the one that keeps regenerating. What are you supposed to do? Waste all your ammo on a guy you can't kill? I got to the part where the girl opens to door but I was out of ammo and had 1k credits so I just let myself die. Is there a way to beat that section without wasting all your ammo?

ZROCOOL

aka II VerTigo II
Halvie said:
Chapter 5 help:
I am in the room trying to get the alien sample I think. The room is locked and there are about 10 monsters in it..including the one that keeps regenerating. What are you supposed to do? Waste all your ammo on a guy you can't kill? I got to the part where the girl opens to door but I was out of ammo and had 1k credits so I just let myself die. Is there a way to beat that section without wasting all your ammo?

You kill the ones that dont regenerate, so dodge him and go for the other ones.

codecow

Mango Positive said:
What the GOD DAMNED MOTHER FUCKING FUCK?!?!

You know the part. I don't even have to spoiler it. It's the part where you try to do something at least 20 times and never get any further. You know... the part that's virtually impossible? How do you get past that part? I can't get any god damned more coordinated than I am. The movement is too slow / imprecise to do what I need to do! What cheat code did you guys use to skip this part?

I hope you're using both buttons to fire in this mode, left trigger fires from the left gun barrel.

codecow

robochimp said:

The coolest way to kill (how I do it):

Stasis him and run around to the back. Pick one leg. Keep unloading on that leg. It will chop off. Then he changes his attacks so he fires this big turd balls at you. When he does this, TK it and shoot it back at him.

Jirotrom said:
dont purchase the saw, or the flamethrower or the force gun... purchase everything else.
limit your money to purchasing nodes and maybe, maybe a few air cans.

The Force Gun is practically all I used! It's essentially Dead Space's shotgun - and the secondary launches grenades! It really can't be beat when powered up. It also has the cheapest ammo from the store which is ridiculous because it does so much damage -- and up close, where most of the fighting in this game takes place.

Buy it. Upgrade it. Dominate.

The hardest enemies by far are those sac-things stuck to the walls that keep birthing the tentacle-baby-things. Launch some Force Gun greandes at 'em and they go down much quicker.

Papercuts said:
I think you have 60 seconds default, right? I upgraded air once and have 90 now, there are some longer segments later on with enemies and everything too.

And every time you do upgrade your Hit Points, your suit will automatically refill your HP -- so if you are super low, level up your rig using nodes and save yourself some health packs. You end up with 9 HP sections in your spine if you level all the way too -- there are definitely times you'll need it, especially later in the game. Even with a level 4 or 5 suit.

If you power up your Air all the way you end up with 120 seconds of air (maybe more actually.... can't remember exactly) so I never had to worry, even when fighting enemies and doing puzzle sections in Zero G. Save those inventory slots for ammo instead of air cans. Sell them at the store for more credits to upgrade your Rig and Force Gun.

RavenFox said:
Guys whats the word on the contact beam?

I'm still feeling it out. The primary fire is awkward and doesn't seem to be that stellar.

the secondary fire is a short range, area-affect all around Isaac. worked great for defense when i've used it.

The Contact Beam is essentially the Spartan Laser from Halo 3. You charge it for a few seconds and then it fires a sniper-like directed blast when you let go of the fire button. It's a really good 1-hit kill on most enemies even at the base damage level (that is on Medium). You'll want to keep your distance when using it. It's good against the pregnant-wall-sac-thingys especially.

This is how I played:

Force Gun - MY ABSOLUTE FAVE! - just like a shotgun, the finisher for downed enemies (secondary is a super-strong grenade launcher to hit distant enemies)

Contact Beam - distant enemies (secondary is a ground-pound in case you get jumped up close when using such a long-rage weapon)

Pulse rifle - keep a bead on fast moving distant enemies -- especially useful against the big tentacles that you fight at various points.

Line Gun - small, tentacled critters and anything where you need to take their legs out quick

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
goddamit that basketball game is freaking annoying. Im trying to pass level 7 right now!
I really wanna know whats in those last 3 lockers because I dont want to miss out on anything good.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Team Klimt said:
The Contact Beam is essentially the Spartan Laser from Halo 3. You charge it for a few seconds and then it fires a sniper-like directed blast when you let go of the fire button. It's a really good 1-hit kill on most enemies even at the base damage level (that is on Medium). You'll want to keep your distance when using it. It's good against the pregnant-wall-sac-thingys especially.

This is how I played:

Force Gun - MY ABSOLUTE FAVE! - just like a shotgun, the finisher for downed enemies (secondary is a super-strong grenade launcher to hit distant enemies)

Contact Beam - distant enemies (secondary is a ground-pound in case you get jumped up close when using such a long-rage weapon)

Pulse rifle - keep a bead on fast moving distant enemies -- especially useful against the big tentacles that you fight at various points.

Line Gun - small, tentacled critters and anything where you need to take their legs out quick
It's awesome that we played entirely differently. I used the plasma cutter, ripper, pulse rifle, and the line gun.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Team Klimt said:
And every time you do upgrade your Hit Points, your suit will automatically refill your HP -- so if you are super low, level up your rig using nodes and save yourself some health packs. You end up with 9 HP sections in your spine if you level all the way too -- there are definitely times you'll need it, especially later in the game. Even with a level 4 or 5 suit.

If you power up your Air all the way you end up with 120 seconds of air (maybe more actually.... can't remember exactly) so I never had to worry, even when fighting enemies and doing puzzle sections in Zero G. Save those inventory slots for ammo instead of air cans. Sell them at the store for more credits to upgrade your Rig and Force Gun.

Yeah, I knew about the HP refill, really useful.

bigdaddygamebot said:
I'm still feeling it out. The primary fire is awkward and doesn't seem to be that stellar.

the secondary fire is a short range, area-affect all around Isaac. worked great for defense when i've used it.

The Contact Beam's primary fire is best used alongside stasis, but only on bigger enemies.

Edit: People actually use the Pulse Rifle? :p

I tried it out when I first got it, couldn't dismember at all and drained ammo like nothing. Does it get a lot better when upgraded?

Papercuts said:
Edit: People actually use the Pulse Rifle? :p

I tried it out when I first got it, couldn't dismember at all and drained ammo like nothing. Does it get a lot better when upgraded?

Indeed it does! You can basically sever anything with one quick pull of the trigger if your aim is good enough. You can carry up to 175 rounds when maxed out as well. You can take out the big tentacles REALLY quickly with sustained fire too (it almost felt like cheating... ;P)

I really want to use the flamethrower on my second playthru because I never leveled it up and I have a feeling it will fucking OWN if it gets maxed out. I never gave the Ripper a fair shake either...

I unlocked the Military Suit after clearing the game but I haven't equipped it yet. I'll update with impressions if there is any noticable difference.

MercuryLS

Banned
Lé Blade Runner said:
Thanks to this thread, the game is now a 'must buy' instead of 'a strong maybe'. Heck, I can't wait to get my hands on it. :)

I just went out and bought the game myself because of this thread. So far I'm not disappointed.

Top Bottom