• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space |OT|

Draft

The ripper is easily my favorite gun. I just unlocked its final damage upgrade, and now there's like a little explosion when it shoots the blade out :lol

McLovin

I can't believe I'm gonna say this but EA is becoming one of my favorite companies. When they release a good game its really good. I'm only halfway through chapter 3 and I can't believe how awesome this game is. Apart from some of the monsters the game has some pretty awesome graphics. If they ever do a multiplayer DLC I'll be all on that day one.

ZROCOOL

aka II VerTigo II
Question: Do you have to be signed on xbl to use the DLC suits? Because i'm trying to load my saved game offline and unplugged from the net, and its not letting me.

Bought the game last night, and I have to admit, I was startled in a few areas. I got to a part where there was a dead monster on the ground. I thought to myself, "they're probably going to try a cheap scare and have it jump up at me." Sure enough, this happened, but I wasn't expecting the damn thing to leap up at me AFTER I killed it. :lol

That surprised me, for sure. Now, time to exit the thread before someone spoils something.

McLovin

II VerTigo II said:
Question: Do you have to be signed on xbl to use the DLC suits? Because i'm trying to load my saved game offline and unplugged from the net, and its not letting me.
I changed mine at the store.. its the suit that costs 0.
Edit- By the way the PS3 suit is pretty bad ass. How does the 360 one look?

Hunter D

Resident Evil 5 has a lot to do if it wants to surpass this. This game's battle mechanics are better than Resident Evil 4's and the game is actually scary too.

Hunter D said:
Resident Evil 5 has a lot to do if it wants to surpass this. This game's battle mechanics are better than Resident Evil 4's and the game is actually scary too.

Let's not go crazy. it IS Resident Evil 5 and Capcom afterall...

ZROCOOL

aka II VerTigo II
McLovin said:
I changed mine at the store.. its the suit that costs 0.
Edit- By the way the PS3 suit is pretty bad ass. How does the 360 one look?

I know about changing the suit, but when I tried loading my saved game. It says " Slot whatever has DLC but is missing and cant be loaded."

Edit- And the 360 suit looks sweet with the green light on the mask.

Zeliard

Draft said:
The ripper is easily my favorite gun. I just unlocked its final damage upgrade, and now there's like a little explosion when it shoots the blade out :lol

I like that weapon too. It's gotten a lot of hate around here, and it's true it's not as effective as some of the other weapons in some situations, but I think it might be the best weapon in the game when you're up against a single enemy. Usually when you have the saw out and it's cutting through an enemy, they can't attack, and even just one saw at the lowest upgrade level lasts long enough to be able to finish off most enemies if you dismember them right. It's a good ammo saver. And unlike the contact beam, it doesn't require any charge at all.

Dave1988 said:
Yeah, THE masters of rehashing...

Fixed.

There are plenty of companies out there that make money off iterative releases. Capcom just happens to be very good at it.

With that said; Dead Space! I wanna have it's babies!

Zeliard said:
I like that weapon too. It's gotten a lot of hate around here, and it's true it's not as effective as some of the other weapons in some situations, but I think it might be the best weapon in the game when you're up against a single enemy. Usually when you have the saw out and it's cutting through an enemy, they can't attack, and even just one saw at the lowest upgrade level lasts long enough to be able to finish off most enemies if you dismember them right. It's a good ammo saver. And unlike the contact beam, it doesn't require any charge at all.

It's my primary weapon now. I got a tonne of ammo drops for it even though I was focusing on improving the Line Gun. Now I'm improving the Ripper because i don't see myself running out of ammo for it anytime soon. it works great against the fatties. Secondary fire and snipe a leg off a fatty waaaaay down a hall and watch it crawl after you....good times.

They do shit against those black/charred/heavy duty necromorphs that come from the fleshy bat creatures that hump the human corpses.

LukeSmith

Newb question. I'm a wuss, playing on medium, I DL'd the Elite suit after I saved and quit at the first checkpoint 10 minutes in. Reloaded, now how do I use the overpowered-ness?

Returners

LukeSmith said:
Newb question. I'm a wuss, playing on medium, I DL'd the Elite suit after I saved and quit at the first checkpoint 10 minutes in. Reloaded, now how do I use the overpowered-ness?

you get it when you reach the first store. Which is either at the end of Chap 1 or start of Chap 2.

LukeSmith said:

You have to get to the first Store at the end of the first chapter before you can change into the suit.

Hunter D

bigdaddygamebot said:
Let's not go crazy. it IS Resident Evil 5 and Capcom afterall...
I've played through RE4 a lot and the only part of that game that ever made me feel scared was the very first time you run into the regenerators. I'm almost done with the first chapter and this shit already scares me. The controls in this game are also better than the controls in resident evil 4. I'd be disappointed if resident evil 5 has controls similar to RE4 and no way for you to at least walk and shoot like this game.

LukeSmith said:

it's not often I get to do this so...

read the thread nooben-sauzen!

Azar

So far I've been playing through on Medium with the normal suit, and I have to say I'm glad I didn't go with the DLC suit because it's not especially challenging as it is. I have died a few times, but only once from enemies. The others were...environmental hazards. :lol

Game's really fun, though. Can't wait to start playing again as soon as it gets dark. I know when I finish I'm going to be torn between playing again on my file to upgrade my weapons, or starting over on Hard with the DLC suit.

Hunter D said:
I've played through RE4 a lot and the only part of that game that ever made me feel scared was the very first time you run into the regenerators. I'm almost done with the first chapter and this shit already scares me. The controls in this game are also better than the controls in resident evil 4. I'd be disappointed if resident evil 5 has controls similar to RE4 and no way for you to at least walk and shoot like this game.

Don't play RE4 to be scared. Play it to be impressed. If you want to be freaked out, play ANY of the Silent Hill games...yeah, any of them.

You could also try Condemned.

Just Google RE5 and you can read a zillion things about it including the optional control scheme.

But back to Dead Space. Yay for this game. There wouldn't need to be any further releases this month and I'd be satisfied.

RavenFox said:

whoah. Whuuuuuuuuut the fuck is THAT?!?! I haven't come across that yet.

LukeSmith said:

You have to use it at a store (It will say Elite at bottom for 0 credits). You'll find that later on in the chapter.

ZROCOOL

aka II VerTigo II
Well it seems you need to be logged in xbl to use the DLC. =\ Odd

Anywho, I need help on chapter 7:
Destroying the 4 gravity tenthers, I found 2 but I can't find the other 2.

II VerTigo II said:
Well it seems you need to logged in xbl to use the DLC. =\ Odd

You have to jump onto the asteroid and walk outside the ship to get to the other two.

II VerTigo II said:
Well it seems you need to be logged in xbl to use the DLC. =\ Odd

Look on the other side of the "rock"

Draft

Zeliard said:
Might be? It's pure death. Pure death! Single enemies? Nuts. I chop crowds.

ZROCOOL

aka II VerTigo II
UnholySpectacle said:
You have to jump onto the asteroid and walk outside the ship to get to the other two.

:eek: oh man thanks! And getting back in is somewhat hard.

Edit- also thanks bigdaddygamebot

JimiNutz

Banned
Gonna pick up Dead Space as soon as I get my 360 back from MS, and am really looking forward to it, but am trying to decide how I should play through it first time.

I saw on this weeks 1UP Show that the default weapon is supposedly really effective, especially once it's maxed out, and that you can probably play through the game using nothing but this starting weapon. I had therefore planned to play through the game on normal, only using the pistol to add a bit of challenge. Does this sound like a good idea for a first play through? Will it be too difficult?
I'm also thinking about playing through it on hard first time, but with the scorpion suit equipped because I don’t want it to be too frustrating first time through.

Which option do you think would be best?

~Kinggi~

Banned
NutJobJim said:
Gonna pick up Dead Space as soon as I get my 360 back from MS, and am really looking forward to it, but am trying to decide how I should play through it first time.

I saw on this weeks 1UP Show that the default weapon is supposedly really effective, especially once it's maxed out, and that you can probably play through the game using nothing but this starting weapon. I had therefore planned to play through the game on normal, only using the pistol to add a bit of challenge. Does this sound like a good idea for a first play through? Will it be too difficult?
I'm also thinking about playing through it on hard first time, but with the scorpion suit equipped because I don’t want it to be too frustrating first time through.

There is an achievement for playing the game with just that weapon. So yeah that is probably a good idea.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Team Klimt said:
I unlocked the Military Suit after clearing the game but I haven't equipped it yet. I'll update with impressions if there is any noticable difference.

It's a level 6 suit, I'm guessing the only difference is even higher defense.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
MorisUkunRasik said:
how many chapters are there? i'm on chapter 6
when nicole is trying to unlock the door from across the room and you have to protect her

There are 12 chapters.

Azar

NutJobJim said:

I wouldn't recommend it, just because the other weapons are damn fun. I wouldn't want to limit myself, personally. It's more enjoyable to mix and match!

fernoca

Darn! Why some devs always need to add "things like that"....like to add variety to the games!?!
Some weeks ago, The Force Unleashed with
the whole pulling down the ship with Force debacle, plagued with erratic directions displayed at the screen, so you were..forced to basically pull it down by your own
......now Dead Space with
the whole shooting asteroids thing.. ..the weapons overheat in a matter of nothing, there are blindspots ans to top it all you start with 85%..just with a few hits you're under 50% warning, then 25% critical..then throw someone telling you "just a minute"...a minute passes..."give me some more time"..
.... :mad:

Amazing game anyway.

Papercuts

I just did the
asteroid segment
on chapter 7, probably died more there than I have the whole game, but that whole part was awesome once I realized what to do.

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
UnholySpectacle said:
Just beat it, this game is awesome. Not sure if I can do another playthrough though. The game was excellent but I'm not feeling the desire to do it again.

How long did it take?
Would you say it was as long as RE4?

Zeliard

Just finished Chapter 6. That might've been the best chapter so far. It was a lot more open than the previous ones with the multiple objectives, and the map started to come in real handy. Great boss fight too, though it was a bit easy for me since I happened to be loaded with a bunch of contact beam ammo. Looks like that weapon is what the War Hammer/Scythe is to Ninja Gaiden = the boss killer.

Papercuts

Zeliard said:
Just finished Chapter 6. That might've been the best chapter so far. It was a lot more open than the previous ones with the multiple objectives, and the map started to come in real handy. Great boss fight too, though it was a bit easy for me since I happened to be loaded with a bunch of contact beam ammo. Looks like that weapon is what the War Hammer/Scythe is to Ninja Gaiden = the boss killer.

I found it hard to hit with the Contact Beam, I needed to stock up on Plasma cutter ammo for it.

I thought the same thing, but now I'm thinking chapter 7 is my favorite...each one just seems to get better.

MiniDitka said:
If you could only pick one of these which would you choose, Line Gun, Force Gun or Contact Beam?

I'm starting to think Force Gun is one of the best weapons in the game, and I haven't even upgraded it yet. I'd stick with it, though I use the plasma cutter and those three guns you listed for my full arsenal anyway.

Top Bottom