• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space |OT|

Halvie

Banned
Don't have any other ammo type yet, so maybe it was a good idea to just go with the suit. I upgraded the damage on the cutter, but only have one more of the upgrader things so can't do another one for a while. Thanks for the help!

RavenFox

Banned
Zeliard said:
I think what goes up when you level your suit up is the defense and the number of inventory slots, so you wouldn't get physically stronger or anything. But you should be taking a lot less damage than you normally would with a level 1 suit.

Agreed. Not to be a graphics whore or anything (its gameplay is great, regardless), but I don't think enough people are talking about Dead Space's graphics, especially relative to how much talk Killzone 2's visuals get. My jaw has dropped several times while playing. By a wide margin the best-looking console game of the gen, with its only real competition out of announced games being Gears 2 and Killzone 2.

My goodness the graphics indeed
engine room when ignited-outside the ship walks-bridge with planet looming below and asteroids pounding the hull
. PS3 version-god bless the chips.
Saw post page before PS3 verison 720p and 2xAA. Man does it show. I was looking at the character model up close when I was at the store. His helmet is smoother than a 1000 year old stone on the ocean floor.

Bebpo

Banned
On ch.3 now and TBH I'm disappointed with the visuals. It looks worse than Bioshock IMO. The first issue I have is how the shadows (or at least certain types of shadows) are horribly pixelated. I hate when things cast a shadow on my guy because suddenly I have a bunch of moving square pixel shadows on my back and it's really distracting in a hidef looking game like this.

My other issue is the alaising. That guy on B3D who said it was 2xAA also said it was his first attempt and that it's not definitive until someone who knows what they are doing can confirm. Maybe it's 2x...but if this is 2x than the game really needed 4x. Just standing still looking at my guys face the lines on his helmet are all jaggy and shimmering. Certain rooms just look bad like the medical room in the light. When the game looks bad it's really noticable because usually it looks pretty solid.

The saving grace is that like what happened with Silent Hill 5, as long as you are in dark areas in DS you can't notice any of this stuff and a lot of the game is in generally dark areas. It's only when lights are on and shining do you get a lot of shadows or alaising issues.

At least the framerate is great. But overall the IQ is less than I expected tbh. I got the PS3 version so maybe the X360 one is different, but it definitely isn't a top-tier graphical showcase IMO.

RavenFox

Banned
Bebpo said:
On ch.3 now and TBH I'm disappointed with the visuals. It looks worse than Bioshock IMO. The first issue I have is how the shadows (or at least certain types of shadows) are horribly pixelated. I hate when things cast a shadow on my guy because suddenly I have a bunch of moving square pixel shadows on my back and it's really distracting in a hidef looking game like this.

My other issue is the alaising. That guy on B3D who said it was 2xAA also said it was his first attempt and that it's not definitive until someone who knows what they are doing can confirm. Maybe it's 2x...but if this is 2x than the game really needed 4x. Just standing still looking at my guys face the lines on his helmet are all jaggy and shimmering. Certain rooms just look bad like the medical room in the light. When the game looks bad it's really noticable because usually it looks pretty solid.

The saving grace is that like what happened with Silent Hill 5, as long as you are in dark areas in DS you can't notice any of this stuff and a lot of the game is in generally dark areas. It's only when lights are on and shining do you get a lot of shadows or alaising issues.

At least the framerate is great. But overall the IQ is less than I expected tbh. I got the PS3 version so maybe the X360 one is different, but it definitely isn't a top-tier graphical showcase IMO.

your set is cracked or calibrate it.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Up to level 7 now, this game is pure win.

Level 5(I think) was incredibly tense:
The Regenerator would never let up. The final part of the fight had me feel safe for a minute when I went through the door, I went to heal myself and he jumped out the vent and scared the hell out of me.

todahawk

One of the local TRU finally got the game in today so I left work early, swooped in and snagged the 2nd to the last ps3 copy! :D

I went downstairs, turned off all the lights and hooked up my 5.1 headphones and started the game. I'm thinking, how scary can this be? I played about 30 minutes and shut the fucking thing off. Maybe I'm tired and stressed from teh work week but the tension is unbelievable. Scariest game I ever played (so far). The atmosphere, music, sound.... everything works well together. I'm spinning and checking 6, checking and rechecking vents. I love it so far and was expecting to be underwhelmed.

graphics are sweet and much better than i expected, even from watching the trailers. they could easily make this into a movie. I sat and stared at one of the early dead bodies and marveled at the anatomy. You could see the dudes liver and stuff. But every time I heard a noise I had to keep looking up. :lol

i hadn't planned on using the DLC suit but i'm seriously considering it now. I'm such a chickenshit with this game for some reason, I want a nice security blanket!

Bebpo

Banned
RavenFox said:
your set is cracked or calibrate it.

It's ISF calibrated and other games look great. The IQ is just not that clean on the PS3 version. More devs need to do whatever Kojima did with MGS4 as even though MGS4 was <720p it was clean as hell with near-perfect IQ.

Sean

Banned
Halvie said:
Just started chapter 2 and am loving the game. Any opinions on what to get for the second gun? I still just have the plasma cutter...ended up spending a big chunk of my credit on the lvl 2 suit..was that dumb?

Personally I love the Ripper. Use stasis to slow enemies down and then shoot saw blades to sever all their limbs (you can control it with the analog stick briefly) :D

Movement

Chapter 5 help

The room after you see the scientist guy the 2nd time. Is it impossible to kill the regenerator? I just keep puting him in stasis then killing the other things but I'm guessing he can die. Any advice on how to beat that stupid part, I keep getting stabbed then my arm, leg and head ripped off very violently:lol but really i almost threw my controller lol.

Papercuts

Eltacoman said:
Chapter 5 help

The room after you see the scientist guy the 2nd time. Is it impossible to kill the regenerator? I just keep puting him in stasis then killing the other things but I'm guessing he can die. Any advice on how to beat that stupid part, I keep getting stabbed then my arm, leg and head ripped off very violently:lol but really i almost threw my controller lol.

Get him in that middle area, use stasis and try to blow a leg off or something. Then run through the door where the doctor was, you can hit a switch to freeze it.

For me Dead Space is not a scary experience, it's the moments in between all the encounters that gets me. It's the escalation of tension that gets to me. From jumping at shadows of beasties flitting across a lit doorway behind me that aren't there when I spin around. The rolling brownouts that freeze me dead in my tracks, has me whip out my gun just to have a light source that I nervously dart around the room until the power fluctuates back on. The ambient sounds of whispering in the background, a random metal tool being suddenly dropped, objects I disturb by accidentally bumping into them or the broken but still active machinery. Having to stomp on corpses so they can't rise up against me. Pulling my gun out and aiming at some vent or a blood spattered hole in a wall I'm walking by, expecting something's going to try and take a swipe at me. This is what gets to me.

It's almost a cathartic release when some gurgazoids do finally come bursting out of a vent, lurch up off of the ground, come charging at you from around a corner or through a door you've just opened, you finally have something to lash out at. The problem is once you put them down it's always back to you, that creepy ship and the wait for the latest horror.

RavenFox

Banned
Hey what's the word on the force gun?

Bebpo said:
It's ISF calibrated and other games look great. The IQ is just not that clean on the PS3 version. More devs need to do whatever Kojima did with MGS4 as even though MGS4 was <720p it was clean as hell with near-perfect IQ.
ok cool

MiniDitka

bigswords said:
Try to move closer it's hard to aim from afar.

Edit: Ohh have you upgraded your cutter yet? At least you'll need one or two points of damage upgrade to make things easier.

Yep, I have it upgraded a bit and the good news is I just beat it(thanks to your help). Wow! that battle was feakin epic. Time to take a break. :lol

Papercuts

RavenFox said:

It's a powerhouse, even moreso than the Line Gun. The normal fire is helpful in a bind, and can dispose of a whole batch of those really small bastards at once. The alt fire makes a powerful explosion that can knock out 2-3 normal enemies with a well placed shot.

Spoo

Just finished it. Pure awesome from start to finish. I can't think of one thing about it I didn't like, actually.

One of the best games I've played this year alongside GTA4, MGS4, and SH:H.

RavenFox

Banned
Papercuts said:
It's a powerhouse, even moreso than the Line Gun. The normal fire is helpful in a bind, and can dispose of a hole batch of those really small bastards. The alt fire makes a powerful explosion that can knock out 2-3 normal enemies with a well placed shot.
ooohhh thank you sir.:D

robot

chespace said:
Not questioning the helmet motif but the fact that he put it on as soon as the player took control of the character seemed a little too contrived to me. You can't see his face! Because he's... YOU!

Also, I started this on HARD.

I like my games challenging and/or scary/immersive.

Am I going to regret this?

I heard Medium was lame.

You can actually see his face right before he puts his helmet on. There's a brief moment where you can spin the camera around and see him.

And his helmet is awesome. If I had a helmet like that I'd wear it every chance I could get. I bet he couldn't wait to put it on.

Pein

Banned
So just put on the obsidian suit and its so freaking awesome looking, glad I got the ps3 version just for this.

The flame thrower is a pretty meh weapon uses to much ammo and the plasma cutter just feels more efficient the fire effects are great though.

jaundicejuice said:
For me Dead Space is not a scary experience, it's the moments in between all the encounters that gets me. It's the escalation of tension that gets to me. From jumping at shadows of beasties flitting across a lit doorway behind me that aren't there when I spin around. The rolling brownouts that freeze me dead in my tracks, has me whip out my gun just to have a light source that I nervously dart around the room until the power fluctuates back on. The ambient sounds of whispering in the background, a random metal tool being suddenly dropped, objects I disturb by accidentally bumping into them or the broken but still active machinery. Having to stomp on corpses so they can't rise up against me. Pulling my gun out and aiming at some vent or a blood spattered hole in a wall I'm walking by, expecting something's going to try and take a swipe at me. This is what gets to me.

It's almost a cathartic release when some gurgazoids do finally come bursting out of a vent, lurch up off of the ground, come charging at you from around a corner or through a door you've just opened, you finally have something to lash out at. The problem is once you put them down it's always back to you, that creepy ship and the wait for the latest horror.

Well put, man.

RavenFox

Banned
jaundicejuice said:

Wow man just wow. You nailed it.

HugBasket

Banned
chespace said:
Because they just crashed into the Ishigura and nobody else on the bridge had their special janitor suit on? I dunno, it just seemed so abrupt. Without prompting, and with nobody doing anything special other than leave the bridge to check out the derelict ship, my guy decides to put on this super heavy looking medieval helmet.

I bought into the milleau right up until that point. I'll play the game of course, but I'm just nitpicking since this game is getting all this word of mouth OMG-RIDLEY-SCOTT-ALIENS-CAN'T-PLAY-FOR-MORE-THAN-2-HOURS-HYPE.

I loved the intro with the scrambled video that's a cry for help and you have no idea what's happening.

Then the helmet. Whee!
that isn't hype, that's just pussies

why not argue that he came there without any engineering equipment? that his main weapon is an engineer tool but it shoots stuff. that he doesn't respond to any questions.

or perhaps the "if there systems are offline you'll have to boost the signal." "I know that. . Boost the signal"

or

"so that's the Ishimura." " That's the U-S-G Ishimura!"

anyways, none of that bothered because the game is still awesome

RavenFox said:
very nice for a couple moments in chapter 5.

also great for killing babies and clearing a path

~Kinggi~

Banned
Best thing about this game for me is the art direction. Everything is beautiful to look at. Wonderful mix of colors. Greens, blues, reds, oranges, all blended together to create a very atmospheric and rich world. Amazing what they can do with an interior of a ship. Gameplay and sound of course is phenomenal as well. Everything really polished.

Bebpo

Banned
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/bebpo/oct18_2008003.jpg
Here's the jaggies I get on my 34" XBR960 HDTV the majority of the aliasing is only really apparent on all the sharp edges of the main guy, but since he's always in the picture... :p

Then I went and tested it on a ISF calibrated 60" 1080p 8th-gen Pioneer Plasma and the jaggies were about the same (pic is dark, but what's visible are pretty much the jaggies):
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/bebpo/oct18_2008018.jpg

And the shadow stuff I was talking about is here:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/bebpo/oct18_2008028.jpg
Though the shadows are a lot more noticable in motion because the pixels move around like dancing pixels on his back.

Still the game is a lot of fun and wow playing it on a 60" is sooooo much more fun than on my 34". My tv's starting to feel old ;_;

~Kinggi~ said:
Best thing about this game for me is the art direction. Everything is beautiful to look at. Wonderful mix of colors. Greens, blues, reds, oranges, all blended together to create a very atmospheric and rich world. Amazing what they can do with an interior of a ship. Gameplay and sound of course is phenomenal as well. Everything really polished.

The art direction is amazing. Every room I go into has interesting details and fits logically into the world. And it never feels like a cut and paste, everything looks and feels painstakingly crafted (aside from the samey-looking tram stations, I guess). I expect a cool new look to every corridor I go down.

EGM92

This game looks really nice, I hate survival horror, but I might be looking to pick this up soon. Does the PC version come out this month? Are there any differences between console and PC port?

Thanks.

Bebpo

Banned
U K Narayan said:
Man, I can't believe someone is complaining about the fucking helmet in this game.

Just play the game and enjoy it, or get the fuck out.

@_@

Because you can't enjoy a game while talking about the graphical shortcomings that you'd like fixed in future games? Or that maybe will be fixed with the PC version?

I think most of the graphical nitpickers have left gaf over the last few years. Hell even dark10x hardly ever nitpicks stuff visually anymore and he used to be more sensitive to stuff than me. I guess we've all just lowered our standards at this point in the gen.

HugBasket

Banned
Bebpo said:
@_@

Because you can't enjoy a game while talking about the graphical shortcomings that you'd like fixed in future games? Or that maybe will be fixed with the PC version?

I think most of the graphical nitpickers have left gaf over the last few years. Hell even dark10x hardly ever nitpicks stuff visually anymore and he used to be more sensitive to stuff than me. I guess we've all just lowered our standards at this point in the gen.
would you prefer a stepback in graphics to the ps2 era so we can clean out all the jaggies or rather have what we have now?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Bebpo said:
@_@

Fuck off. Keep that pretencious shit to yourself.

Somnia

Just beat the game. Took roughly 9 1/2 hours on hard. By far one of the best gaming experiences I've played in a long ass time. Great way to start the holiday season.

Spoo

Bebpo said:
I guess we've all just lowered our standards at this point in the gen.

Any graphical problems inherant in the engine is probably something, at this point, well known to EA's internal studio. If there's a sequel to Dead Space, or the engine used is applied to another game, we will probably see improvements in it.

Personally -- and I do like to think I have a keen eye for these things -- I didn't find any of the visual problems in Dead Space particularly nagging. It could be that the game itself excelled in so many other ways that I was expecting, that it was hard to call bullshit when I noticed the aliasing on the shadows, etc (Or SH:H dumbed my nagging reflexes, since that game had much more noticible shadowing problems imo).

Regardless, they did, in fact, create a custom engine for their game, and I think that these days (the next-gen days), that's rather fucking amazing since they could've just gone the UE3 route, sped development up 10x, and just released a game with the same old problems we expect of all UE3-based games (sans the occasional awesome exception).

In the game I played (PS3 here), the framerate was great, the textures were high res, the lighting was unbelievably (do not confuse lighting with shadows), and the models were quite good -- especially Issac's model.

So, instead of bitching about how there's aliasing issues here or there, how about focusing on the things they did well... since there's no doubt that anything they didn't do particularly well (very little) they already know about.

I honestly think Dead Space has some of the best visuals I've ever seen. A lot contributes to that (art assets, mise en scene, etc), but still, to say that our expectations of next-gen graphics has gone down, and use DS as an example -- I call bullshit on that, I really do. This game occasionally made my eyeballs pop out with how awesome it looked 90% of the time.

Big-E

Just beat Chapter 4 now and my God this game kicks ass throughout. I am playing on hard and I find I am running out of ammo fairly quickly now. I predominantly use the cutter because I feel that is the only weapon that is doing something against them and has a lot of ammo around. The gun that shoots out the wide line has really expensive ammo and the flamethrower doesn't seem to work to well. What weapons do you recommend I stick with?

I beat the game yesterday. It took me about 16 hours on medium. Best SP experience I have had since Bioshock. I highly recommend it to the SH/Sci-Fi crowd. Awesome game.

Bebpo

Banned
Spoo said:
Any graphical problems inherant in the engine is probably something, at this point, well known to EA's internal studio. If there's a sequel to Dead Space, or the engine used is applied to another game, we will probably see improvements in it.

Personally -- and I do like to think I have a keen eye for these things -- I didn't find any of the visual problems in Dead Space particularly nagging. It could be that the game itself excelled in so many other ways that I was expecting, that it was hard to call bullshit when I noticed the aliasing on the shadows, etc (Or SH:H dumbed my nagging reflexes, since that game had much more noticible shadowing problems imo).

Regardless, they did, in fact, create a custom engine for their game, and I think that these days (the next-gen days), that's rather fucking amazing since they could've just gone the UE3 route, sped development up 10x, and just released a game with the same old problems we expect of all UE3-based games (sans the occasional awesome exception).

In the game I played (PS3 here), the framerate was great, the textures were high res, the lighting was unbelievably (do not confuse lighting with shadows), and the models were quite good -- especially Issac's model.

So, instead of bitching about how there's aliasing issues here or there, how about focusing on the things they did well... since there's no doubt that anything they didn't do particularly well (very little) they already know about.

I honestly think Dead Space has some of the best visuals I've ever seen. A lot contributes to that (art assets, mise en scene, etc), but still, to say that our expectations of next-gen graphics has gone down, and use DS as an example -- I call bullshit on that, I really do. This game occasionally made my eyeballs pop out with how awesome it looked 90% of the time.

I agree with you on most of those points. It's a good looking game and the engine is really solid which is impressive from a new team. Still for me the game doesn't live up to the gaf visual hype that it's one of the best looking games this gen. If I wasn't going in expecting AAA perfect visuals, I'd probably be impressed considering the staff and the engine.

I know a lot of people couldn't give a care for the IQ in games. I know because I've seen plenty of games with awful IQ being loved for their visuals without a mention of the IQ. It's almost like 30/60fps where it bugs some people but not others. But for me good IQ is half the battle.

Still this is mainly nitpicking as the graphics do the job and the gameplay is great producing an overall quality title. I'm just curious if the PC version looks absolutely amazing.

HugBasket said:
would you prefer a stepback in graphics to the ps2 era so we can clean out all the jaggies or rather have what we have now?

The preferred method is to get both. You can use this statement you're saying in any thread. You can say it's impossible to speak negatively of Saints Row 2's graphics because they did the best they could and further improvements would require a stepback in graphics. The best looking games out there find a way to balance fantastic textures, lighting, geometry, models, framerate, IQ, and of course art design so that every category gets an enthusiastic thumbs up and the visuals are amazing.

Anyhow the visuals in Dead Space are great, I just don't think it's the best looking game ever. Jeez, everyone loves a fight these days :p I mean the first time I post some nitpicks I have on the visuals the next poster tells me my tv must be broken or a pos tv. It's like every game that is good must be perfect and no one can talk any ill or they'll get a fight.

HugBasket

Banned
Bebpo said:
The preferred method is to get both. You can use this statement you're saying in any thread. You can say it's impossible to speak negatively of Saints Row 2's graphics because they did the best they could and further improvements would require a stepback in graphics. The best looking games out there find a way to balance fantastic textures, lighting, geometry, models, framerate, IQ, and of course art design so that every category gets an enthusiastic thumbs up and the visuals are amazing.
There is no both, people continue to ignore the shortcomings of consoles. Our expectations for graphics are pretty high and to run it with all the AA to make it perfect just isn't possible with the 360 and since developers are lazy with the PS3..

Anyways, consoles are always going to have this problem until the big graphic leap isn't that big and the focus can shift to cleaning and not wowing.

If you need your cleaned up games now then play on the PC.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
I need some Chapter 7 help.
How do I stop those giant blades from spinning around the astroid? I need to plant the beacon on it but I can't seem to slow the blades down with Stasis or anything else.

Halvie

Banned
Only on chapter 3 and starting to find the lack of ammo/money annoying. Should I try using more than just the plasma cutter? Does it get easier to manage or harder as the game progresses?

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Halvie said:
Only on chapter 3 and starting to find the lack of ammo/money annoying. Should I try using more than just the plasma cutter? Does it get easier to manage or harder as the game progresses?

Uh, yeah. Relying on one weapon isn't a good idea. I tend to have plenty of ammo, just not for any one gun.

AniHawk

So for those who've played both, is it safe to say this is kinda like Resident Evil 4 in space?

...or is it more like a really well-done Alien: The Game?

How's the level design?

C.Dark.DN

Banned
He needs his helmet

"Weightless and decompressed environments also appear in Dead Space, and Isaac can navigate through them using his pressurized suit and magnetic boots. Some levels even lead out onto the surface of the ship's hull."

Spire said:
How do I stop those giant blades from spinning around the astroid? I need to plant the beacon on it but I can't seem to slow the blades down with Stasis or anything else.

You jump on the astroid as soon the blades start moving and then run to the top of the astroid before they start up again. Make sure you destroy the two generators by slowing them down and shooting the blue area in the generators before you go up to the astroid. You have two more up there as well, plus you place the beacon on top.

SonComet

Spire said:
Wait for them to move to the side opposite of you. Jump on it. Run out into space. Stop the other two things holding it. Plant the beacon while in space. Wait for the giant things to move out of the way. And jump back into the room off the asteroid

Guess I was beaten while figuring out the spoiler tags, lol. Anyways, just beat CH10 and this game is awesome.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
AniHawk said:
So for those who've played both, is it safe to say this is like Bioshock in space?

...or is it more like a really well-done Alien: The Game?

How's the level design?

Eh, kinda. On 1UP Yours today Shane said this was originally a System Shock game and that isn't surprising. It feels more like System Shock than Bioshock did. I'd say Bioshock has a better story while Dead Space has better combat and light RPG elements. Dead Space is also scarier than Bioshock, but that's not saying much.

SonComet said:
Wait for them to move to the side opposite of you. Jump on it. Run out into space. Stop the other two things holding it. Plant the beacon while in space. Wait for the giant things to move out of the way. And jump back into the room off the asteroid

eastside49er said:
You jump on the astroid as soon the blades start moving and then run to the top of the astroid before they start up again. Make sure you destroy the two generators by slowing them down and shooting the blue area in the generators before you go up to the astroid. You have two more up there as well, plus you place the beacon on top.

Oi, thanks for the help.

Top Bottom