• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space |OT|

Bebpo said:
@_@

Because you can't enjoy a game while talking about the graphical shortcomings that you'd like fixed in future games? Or that maybe will be fixed with the PC version?
What? THE HELMET? You think THE HELMET is a graphical shortcoming?

What.

I'm sure it's been mentioned already but the similarities to System Shock 2 are uncanny. 'The Many', Hydroponics, upgrade nodes, audio logs, weapon upgrades, decaying spaceship... and I'm only on Chapter 4. I bet there's still 1000 more references to go.

Hunter D

Deadspace is the most visually impressive game I've played for consoles. The only flaw in the graphics is that there is no self-shadowing.

Man, I didn't even get far - thanks to all the stuff I had to take care of, before work. (I only got to the second save point. :lol)

I can't wait to get home. I want to play more.

It's funny. Dead Space seems to be everything darkSector was supposed to be. Or -- at least it's similar to what darkSector was supposed to be.

It's 4:30 in the morning and I just finished the game on Medium (9 hrs 15 min). I thought it started out pretty slowly and like most of you, I couldn't shake how much this game owes to System Shock -- or more fittingly Bioshock. The level design and pacing are ridiculously similar for the first half of the game, but then Dead Space really kicks it into high gear. I can't vouch for the story as it is quite cliched given the setting -- but the presentation of everything in this game is top notch -- easily the best I've seen this year so far.

The boss fights are absolutely spectacular in this game. I never saw that coming, and in all honesty I must encourage everyone to try this game -- and if you can -- finish it. The presentation and mechanics of the final boss fight in particular were really great. It's going to be tough to top these epic battles in a shooter. I can't think of any in the last few years that even come close. Dead Space is easily up there with RE4 in the boss gameplay department.

Hats off to EA Redwood Shores. You turned me from skeptic to a huge fan with the last half of the game. Stick with it guys -- it only gets better as you keep playing.

You unlock some cool stuff after you finish the game as well so there is definite replayability here.

AND FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DOWNLOAD THE EXCLUSIVE SUITS!!! They are Level 5 suits with the largest available inventory and they are FREE! You'll save yourself about 100,000 credits in the game if you grab one of these. If you aren't sure if you are getting the game, download the suits anyways because they won't be available for long and they will save you so many headaches just in the inventory space alone. You get 25 slots instead of the default 10 -- and you'll need 'em.

Wow -- I just meant to jump into the thread and say "great game!" You can PM me if you have more specific questions.

Spire said:
I need some Chapter 7 help.
How do I stop those giant blades from spinning around the astroid? I need to plant the beacon on it but I can't seem to slow the blades down with Stasis or anything else.

You don't stop them.
You time it right. Gravity leap to the asteroid and plant the beacon and then LEAP THE FUCK AWAY as quickly as possible. it's all about timing sir. If you have 5.1 surround, you'll hear the insta-gib arms passing underneath/behind you as you leap away JUST in time.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Rlan said:
There was a Dead Space Review on Gametrailers... but it's been taken down.

Anyone know why?
Yeah the HD-version of the review didn't work.

Zeliard

Halvie said:
Just started chapter 2 and am loving the game. Any opinions on what to get for the second gun? I still just have the plasma cutter...ended up spending a big chunk of my credit on the lvl 2 suit..was that dumb?

You want to level up your suit whenever you can. You get more inventory slots, which is huge in this game since it's so easy to run out of space, and your defense also increases which means that if you're playing on medium you can essentially ignore Rig upgrades like hitpoints and save your nodes for other stuff.

Hunter D said:
Deadspace is the most visually impressive game I've played for consoles. The only flaw in the graphics is that there is no self-shadowing.

Dead Space is the best-looking console game that's been released. Did someone earlier really say Bioshock was better-looking? :lol Even the PC version of Bioshock doesn't look better than the PS3 version of Dead Space, and I can say that since I have both of those exact versions.

Zeliard

dk_ said:
Just got the game.

Maaaaaan, the Obsidian suit looks absolutely STUNNING. I hated that default one....

You should know that the Obsidian suit is already at level 5, while with the default suit there is a level 1-5 progression throughout the game. So if you use the Obsidian, you should probably start the game on hard since you'll be overpowered (as far as defense) at the start.

your_fat_uncle

Neo Member
Just beat the game. Last fight? Awesome? End to the story? crap. Overall, it's a fantastic game. The ending is the only part that I really hated about it.

RavenFox

Banned
your_fat_uncle said:
Just beat the game. Last fight? Awesome? End to the story? crap. Overall, it's a fantastic game. The ending is the only part that I really hated about it.
your opinion is yours to cherish

Am I stupid for not using the DL suits on my first play-through? I would save loads of credits, but I would also feel cheap for not upgrading the suit gradually in the course of the game as it was intended. EA probably should have just left them as unlockable.

dk_

Zeliard said:
You should know that the Obsidian suit is already at level 5, while with the default suit there is a level 1-5 progression throughout the game. So if you use the Obsidian, you should probably start the game on hard since you'll be overpowered (as far as defense) at the start.
Ah, ok. :-/ Then I'll use the default suit again. So with each level, the default suit looks better? It's so bland right now...

MyEpitomeCliché said:
Am I stupid for not using the DL suits on my first play-through? I would save loads of credits, but I would also feel cheap for not upgrading the suit gradually in the course of the game as it was intended. EA probably should have just left them as unlockable.
Yeah, just got the Obsidian suit and I didn't know it's already level 5. :-(

m I stupid for not using the DL suits on my first play-through?
No, I'm doing the same. I'd prefer to experience the natural progression of the gameplay first and then I'll happily use one of the DLC suits on a second harder play through.

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
Such an unbelievably awesome game. For the longest time I thought I had become desensitized to survival horror games. RE4 was an excellent and at times very tense action thriller, but I haven't been royally freaked the fuck out like this since RE2.

Jirotrom

AniHawk said:
So for those who've played both, is it safe to say this is kinda like Resident Evil 4 in space?

...or is it more like a really well-done Alien: The Game?

How's the level design?
a little of both.

kurahadol

I'm just starting Chapter 2 now and I just had a quick question. Should I be buying weapons or will they come to me later in the game? I just purchased the Level 2 armor because I figured that was essential.

Amazing game so far, I have to somehow juggle this in with the Resistance 2 beta :lol

Jirotrom

kurahadol said:
I'm just starting Chapter 2 now and I just had a quick question. Should I be buying weapons or will they come to me later in the game? I just purchased the Level 2 armor because I figured that was essential.

Amazing game so far, I have to somehow juggle this in with the Resistance 2 beta :lol
for me... upgrading weapons much better than upgrading armor... but im cheating using the downloaded armor. Still though, i dont let enemies touch me because me line gun and that other big gun that you get second is so powerful.

kurahadol

Jirotrom said:
for me... upgrading weapons much better than upgrading armor... but im cheating using the downloaded armor. Still though, i dont let enemies touch me because me line gun and that other big gun that you get second is so powerful.

I don't mean upgrading, I meant purchasing new weapons. I should've been a bit more clear. Like at the store there are additional weapons to purchase, I was just wondering if I should purchase them now or will I find them for free later?

kurahadol said:
I don't mean upgrading, I meant purchasing new weapons. I should've been a bit more clear. Like at the store there are additional weapons to purchase, I was just wondering if I should purchase them now or will I find them for free later?

I don't think you will actually "find" weapon drops. I think you can only buy the new weapons from the store.

Jirotrom

kurahadol said:
dont purchase the saw, or the flamethrower or the force gun... purchase everything else.
limit your money to purchasing nodes and maybe, maybe a few air cans.

Riddler

MyEpitomeCliché said:

No your not stupid. I'm on chapter 10 playing on Hard using the default suits upgrading when I can. On my 2nd playthrough I'll use the Scorpion or Elite Suit doing a pistol only run.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Big-E said:
Just beat Chapter 4 now and my God this game kicks ass throughout. I am playing on hard and I find I am running out of ammo fairly quickly now. I predominantly use the cutter because I feel that is the only weapon that is doing something against them and has a lot of ammo around. The gun that shoots out the wide line has really expensive ammo and the flamethrower doesn't seem to work to well. What weapons do you recommend I stick with?

Tell me about it. I'm only in the middle of Chapter 2 and have already had to run my ass off to escape with my life a number of times. The best is getting hurt to the point where you can only limp along and all you can hear behind you is that sick gurgling and scraping and shuffling and you know it's right behind you and you can't look back because it's certain death and you try to maybe hide in a room hoping nothing follows you in only to stare in helplessness as a horde of nasties pops out of one of the floor vents and the music is pounding and the walls are closing in and all you can think is OHSHITOHSHITOHSHIT.

I've stayed with the cutter but made the mistake of purchasing the machine gun which is semi-useless so far because it's so weak.

What the GOD DAMNED MOTHER FUCKING FUCK?!?!

You know the part. I don't even have to spoiler it. It's the part where you try to do something at least 20 times and never get any further. You know... the part that's virtually impossible? How do you get past that part? I can't get any god damned more coordinated than I am. The movement is too slow / imprecise to do what I need to do! What cheat code did you guys use to skip this part?

Mango Positive said:

You know the part. I don't even have to spoiler it. It's the part where you try to do something at least 20 times and never get any further. You know... the part that's virtually impossible? How do you get past that part? I can't get any god damned more coordinated than I am. The movement is too slow / imprecise to do what I need to do! What cheat code did you guys use to skip this part?

Very small, precise movements. Shift from one asteroid to the next. I died about six times on it. There are three "window/panels". I rarely strayed from the central panel and kept all my focus there and managed to beat it eventually.

Not really a stellar part of the game and not sure why they didn't tighten up the controls.

i appreciate their attempt to change things up a bit, but it wasn't really executed that well.

Draft

I'm at that sequence now and it really is shitty and frustrating. Sometimes I just can't wrap my head around how these terrible, terrible game sequences make it into games. With all the playtesting these companies do now, did no one realize how clumsy and stupid the asteroid shooting was?

GuessWho

bob_arctor said:
Tell me about it. I'm only in the middle of Chapter 2 and have already had to run my ass off to escape with my life a number of times. The best is getting hurt to the point where you can only limp along and all you can hear behind you is that sick gurgling and scraping and shuffling and you know it's right behind you and you can't look back because it's certain death and you try to maybe hide in a room hoping nothing follows you in only to stare in helplessness as a horde of nasties pops out of one of the floor vents and the music is pounding and the walls are closing in and all you can think is OHSHITOHSHITOHSHIT.

I've stayed with the cutter but made the mistake of purchasing the machine gun which is semi-useless so far because it's so weak.

lol I remember in chapter 2 had little life remaining and all of a sudden three appear in front of me, I ran to as locked room, and I was like ok ok time to think about this, so I turn to face the door ready to leave guns blazing, and stasis field fully charged when I hear noises and i turn around and 2 of them are right behind me, about to slash my ass, while a third one is coming through the vent. I have never screamed fuck so loud. Hard is awesome.

bigdaddygamebot said:
Very small, precise movements. Shift from one asteroid to the next. I died about six times on it. There are three "window/panels". I rarely strayed from the central panel and kept all my focus there and managed to beat it eventually.

Not really a stellar part of the game and not sure why they didn't tighten up the controls.

i appreciate their attempt to change things up a bit, but it wasn't really executed that well.

I didn't even have to tell you the part...

Ricker

I died about 15 times at that part but what help me eventually is keeping pressure on the right trigger,at first i was hitting the R trigger for each shot,and yeah concentrate on the middle.

Stuck on chapter 5 now but i'll try a few more things before asking for help hehe...

Zeliard

I just finished the asteroid part. It wasn't very fun at all, but I managed to get through it on my second try. That's on medium, though. I'd imagine it's annoying as fuck on hard.

Mango Positive said:
I didn't even have to tell you the part...

Well...by and large it IS a solid game so when someone is losing their mind about a particular part of the game (that isn't helmet related), I was pretty sure you were talking about the same part of the game where I lost my mind.

I'm by no means a wizard when it comes to dexterity with a controller. Patience and don't let the asteroids at the perimeter draw you too far away from the center panel. :)

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
GuessWho said:
lol I remember in chapter 2 had little life remaining and all of a sudden three appear in front of me, I ran to as locked room, and I was like ok ok time to think about this, so I turn to face the door ready to leave guns blazing, and stasis field fully charged when I hear noises and i turn around and 2 of them are right behind me, about to slash my ass, while a third one is coming through the vent. I have never screamed fuck so loud. Hard is awesome.

Yup. Really makes you feel like you're scraping by and that it could all end at any moment. Makes you treat ammo like the most precious commodity in the known universe. Reading the thread, I see mention of some people turning off the music entirely. I may do this. Nothing like the eerie silence of space to scare the crap out of you even more.

Zeliard

Also alternate between the two guns, so that they don't both overheat at the same time. Only fire them both at the same time for the bigger asteroids, since they split up into more.

Ricker

Also I have the Ripper and another weapon besides the 4 on the wheel that i can change quickly to,but I can't use them...why?

Costanza

Banned
Zeliard said:
I just finished the asteroid part. It wasn't very fun at all, but I managed to get through it on my second try. That's on medium, though.
Yeah, I finished it on my second try too. Wasn't that bad.

Zeliard

Costanza said:
Yeah, I finished it on my second try too. Wasn't that bad.

It goes by pretty quickly.

Ricker said:
Also I have the Ripper and another weapon besides the 4 on the wheel that i can change quickly to,but I can't use them...why?

You can only carry and equip up to four weapons at a time. The rest you have to keep in the safe at the store.

Jirotrom

Mango Positive said:

i beat that on the first try but barely, the controls blow chunks there.

Top Bottom