• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space |OT|

Lostconfused said:
Screw spoilers, that shit looks Bad ASS.

Edit: Now that Mickey finished the game i guess i have to man up and finally play it.
I finished it a while ago but I booted up the clearsave to see the military suit, that shit is fucking awesome, one of the best space marine designs evah.

For the new page:

Hotdamn the Lvl6 suit is badass, scuze the shitty phonepics.

*edit*

Links instead:

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff287/gafpics/DSC00377.jpg
http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff287/gafpics/DSC00378.jpg
http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff287/gafpics/DSC00379.jpg

Sort of a 40K~ish skull helmet vibe.

TheFallen

Damn, you definitely need a ton of playthroughs just to get all of the weapons/equipment upgraded, achievements/trophies, etc. I feel sort of sad knowing that I'm probably playing the game very vanilla - simply as a regular third person shooter. Totally ignoring the kinesis and stasis abilities. Just started using kinesis to kill enemies with exploding barrels and whatnot.

Onix said:
Oh ... thought a lot of people found it too easy?

I take it that's only true in the earlier levels?

No, normal is pretty easy in the beginning. But on the other hand on hard some people die 20 times before they finish chapter 1.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Potentially dumb question.

Chapter 4
I am running to the asteroids now, but after the initial salvo, I'll just be running along and without any warning, I get smoked by rampant rocks. Any hints?

Just got to Ch.4 now. Not really finding the game scary so much as it is stressful (in a good way). Really enjoying it so far. Gonna need to start spending money soon though I think, I've just been hoarding money and I haven't been spending money or power nodes except when I need to.

HugBasket

Banned
Metroidvania said:
Potentially dumb question.

Chapter 4
I am running to the asteroids now, but after the initial salvo, I'll just be running along and without any warning, I get smoked by rampant rocks. Any hints?
wait until the asteroids aren't passing overhead

Spire said:
Beat the game, got my stormtroo...I mean Level 6 suit. I'll probably keep playing on my new game+ file until I max out all of my weapons. This is a pretty great game.
Yeah, I plan on doing the same thing. On my second playthrough now and using completely different weapons this time.

Zabka

fistfulofmetal said:
This is beyond stupid. Chapter 9 spoilers:

The Valeris ship is fucking horrible. I seriously can't believe the jump in difficulty that has occurred in this game. I've died more times in this single chapter than in the entire game thus far. It's not fun at. all. I don't know why game makers do this. I'm at this section where I enter a large long room, a take a few steps forward and it gets locked down in quarantine. Then I get attacked by several enemies at the same time. What's worse is that there isn't a store behind me, but directly after this room. What the fuck? The entire game they've made sure I could go back to restock on supplies if I needed to except now?
I've been on this one section all day and I can't get passed it. It's simply too hard and I don't have the fucking patience for it.

If I can't get through it by tomorrow this game is going in my "Never gonna finish pile"
I got stuck on that part with only flamethrower ammo, about 1/3 of my health and no recovery items. What I eventually did was
play the basketball game for the rewards until I got sick of it. I took the lift after entering the room, then used stasis, flamethrower secondary fired at the ground under enemies, and the small amount of plasma/line gun ammo I had to cut limbs. Barely squeaked by...just keep an eye on what the dead enemies dropped. A small med pack saved my life.

Azrael

Len1978 said:
Are the trophies hard to get?

No, but you'll need to play through the game at least three times to get them all. Once to unlock Impossible difficulty, twice on the same difficulty as the first playthrough to carry over your stuff and get the maxed out trophy, and a third time on Impossible to get the hardest difficulty trophy. With so many games coming out over the next two months, I don't think I'm going to go for this platinum anytime soon. I played through Uncharted three times to get the platinum, but this is a much longer game than Uncharted was, and that was in the middle of August.

Metroidvania

HugBasket said:
wait until the asteroids aren't passing overhead

Yeah, I missed those small flares.

Also....
Fuck the mine shooting section. I know it's not THAT bad, but seriously, it seems so...bad to me.

Flunkie

Banned
Woah, that Level 6 suit has was more health bars than the Elite suit that I'm using. Wasn't it supposed to be the cream of the crop?

Metroidvania said:
Yeah, I missed those small flares.

Also....
Fuck the mine shooting section. I know it's not THAT bad, but seriously, it seems so...bad to me.
I got seriously stressed out at that part till I realized
you don't need to shoot all of them, the ones that are coming way above and way to the sides don't cause damage. Also just calmly pointing the canons in their path and firing both barrels together.

Len1978

Azrael said:
No, but you'll need to play through the game at least three times to get them all. Once to unlock Impossible difficulty, twice on the same difficulty as the first playthrough to carry over your stuff and get the maxed out trophy, and a third time on Impossible to get the hardest difficulty trophy. With so many games coming out over the next two months, I don't think I'm going to go for this platinum anytime soon. I played through Uncharted three times to get the platinum, but this is a much longer game than Uncharted was, and that was in the middle of August.

How long is the game?

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
The game really reminds me of Doom III. So many similarities.

I find it easy so far but that's typical of me since I'm a very cautious player. Running whenever I can and trying not to use ammo.

Zeliard

I'm interested in seeing what sort of DLC they can cook up. The game was easily worth the $60 and I consider it more than good enough to be worth paying for DLC. I can see them adding new weapons or powers.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
weeeee its ridiculous how awesome it is running around with the fully equipped splitter and lvl 6 armor and full health....bitches are in pieces over me :D

as for DLC I wouldnt mind some crazier enemies or some new powers.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Upgrading stuff. You don't really need to fill out the all the empty nodes right? They are just there to link to other nodes so if you can skip them?

Flunkie

Banned
Kadey said:
Upgrading stuff. You don't really need to fill out the all the empty nodes right? They are just there to link to other nodes so if you can skip them?
Nope, you've gotta fill the empty nodes to gain access to the other ones.

fernoca

Kadey said:
You need to fill them, by using Nodes, in order to advance to the next one. You can't just skip an empty node, an use 'it' on the next one.

For example:
(Air) -- ( ) -- (Health) --( )
You can't go from 'Air' to 'Health'. You have to use a node, to fill the empty one before 'Health', then use another one to upgrade 'Health'.
In other words:
( 1 ) -- ( 1 ) -- ( 1 ) -- ( 1 ) = 4 nodes.

I'm on chapter 11, about to get back into it right now, but the difficulty is spot on. I'm playing on normal, it has its more difficult moments but they never really feel cheap. I want to use the cheats to power up everything (node and credit cheats) but I really want to beat it for the first time on my on ability.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
but take into account that you can actually bypass a few nodes when upgrading the splitter. I know I did, but I'm pretty sure that if you don't fill those in the empty non-upgrading that the one that does upgrade something doesnt connect with the rest thus negating any of the effects.

Raistlin

For the hell of it, I'm playing this in 60fps mode (motion interpolation)

0_0

This game has amongst the best graphics I've seen this gen.

Metroidvania

MickeyKnox said:
I got seriously stressed out at that part till I realized
you don't need to shoot all of them, the ones that are coming way above and way to the sides don't cause damage. Also just calmly pointing the canons in their path and firing both barrels together.

Yeah, that was my only saving grace, even though I had like
15%
at end.

Another quick question to make sure I haven't missed it, on which chapter would one locate the
level 4 suit?

Metroidvania said:
Yeah, that was my only saving grace, even though I had like
15%
at end.

Another quick question to make sure I haven't missed it, on which chapter would one locate the
level 4 suit?
Don't remember exactly but you definitely haven't missed it yet.

Has anyone hit an obstacle when doing the zero-g super jump? I just gravity jumped into a wire suspended in the air, and now Isaac is tumbling around randomly and I can't stop him! I can make him do the walk and run animations and even aim, but I'm just spinning wildly in the middle of nowhere.

Ok, actually all I had to do was aim and hit triangle to super jump back to a floor. I thought I couldn't because I already tried that and it failed, it was nearly impossible to aim at what I wanted to hit.

Cheech

I'm playing on hard, just started chapter 6. I'm going all-plasma cutter for the achievement, which I don't know if I'm going to end up regretting or not.

Anyway, I'm posting because I was very, very close to bagging it tonight and trading the game in thanks to Chapter 4's
asteroid minigame
. Those are supposed to be fun diversions from the main game, not controller-breakingly difficult.

Despite that one flaw, a more perfect game has never been released 2 weeks before Halloween. In fact, I would have made it just a bit scarier myself. :D I think I'm alone in this opinion, though. I described a couple scenes to my coworkers, and they looked pretty uncomfortable.

Beat the game. Got just over 600 achievement points on my first go. Pretty good. I hate it when games give u like 100 pts for beating the game *cough*DMC4*cough*. Not sure if I wanna play it again. Too many games to play to play it over again.

duffey

I got to the end of Chapter 6 on a friend's copy of the game last night (for whatever reason he really likes to watch games but not play them but I'm making him play this) and fought the first two bosses. Died on the first boss once until I realized how easy he was to kill but it was still really epic and the second one was holy fuck huge. This game might be my GOTY if the other big games don't quite stack up.

Of course I then realized I was playing on my friend's console so now I have to make up two hours of time on my own copy. ;_;

MickeyKnox said:
I finished it a while ago but I booted up the clearsave to see the military suit, that shit is fucking awesome, one of the best space marine designs evah.

For the new page:

Hotdamn the Lvl6 suit is badass, scuze the shitty phonepics.

*edit*

Links instead:

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff287/gafpics/DSC00377.jpg
http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff287/gafpics/DSC00378.jpg
http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff287/gafpics/DSC00379.jpg

Sort of a 40K~ish skull helmet vibe.

HOW do you get this?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Why oh why is it weekend... come on!

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Flunkie said:
Nope, you've gotta fill the empty nodes to gain access to the other ones.
You need to fill them, by using Nodes, in order to advance to the next one. You can't just skip an empty node, an use 'it' on the next one.

For example:
(Air) -- ( ) -- (Health) --( )
You can't go from 'Air' to 'Health'. You have to use a node, to fill the empty one before 'Health', then use another one to upgrade 'Health'.
In other words:
( 1 ) -- ( 1 ) -- ( 1 ) -- ( 1 ) = 4 nodes.

I understand that. What I'm saying is. Using the image and PC weapon as an example. There are two paths. Those three bottom empty nodes I skipped. Do I have to use them or what? Or can I just bypass them and just go for the upgrades still getting the affects?
2lbzx8p.jpg

Kadey said:
I understand that. What I'm saying is. Using the image and PC weapon as an example. There are two paths. Those three bottom empty nodes I skipped. Do I have to use them or what? Or can I just bypass them and just go for the upgrades still getting the affects?
2lbzx8p.jpg
Empty nodes don't do shit, they are just there to give you different choices on what upgrade path you want to take by making spacing out different attributes.

Raistlin

~Kinggi~ said:
huh? Whats 60 fps mode?

My TV offers two levels of interpolation if you wish to use it.

Obviously, it causes lag ... however, I haven't really found it particularly problematic based on the gameplay.

When interpolation is set to high, the game effectively runs at 60fps, and the motion resolution is extremely high.

Top Bottom