• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space |OT|

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
HugBasket said:
your battery is low

and some of you really make me hate gaming. cheat codes, desire for new game+, bunch of girls you are

i plan on completing the game without a weapon on impossible mode for one of my plays and here you all are using free armor and codes

sickening

i already beat the game without cheat codes, cheat codes have always been apart of gaming. get off your high horse :lol

SonComet

Zzoram said:
So someone help me with the near-end hard part of Chapter 4. What am I doing wrong? It's impossible. Starting my 11th try now...
It took me a couple of tries. I think I finished it with a pathetic 8% life left, lol. I just aimed better on my second try than my first. Other then that, I don't think there's any secret.

Phthisis

This game is always scaring me with bodies on the floor. Every time I think it's going to be a necromorph, it ends up just being a dead human. Every time I think it's just a dead human, it jumps up right at my feet and scares the shit out of me. I can't predict this shit.

Big-E

Zzoram said:
So someone help me with the near-end hard part of Chapter 4. What am I doing wrong? It's impossible. Starting my 11th try now...

You know you can fire using both triggers right? Just make sure the guns don't overheat and just just shoot them. The guns have a long range so as soon as you see them appear just starrt shooting. I was able to complete it on my fist try though I only had 10% hull strength left.

Phthisis

Big-E said:
You know you can fire using both triggers right? Just make sure the guns don't overheat and just just shoot them. The guns have a long range so as soon as you see them appear just starrt shooting. I was able to complete it on my fist try though I only had 10% hull strength left.

Wait, what? Both triggers? I bet it on my first try using just RT :lol

SonComet

Big-E said:
I did not know that, lol. I guess it's a miracle I beat it.

Butane123

Got up to chapter 7 today. Glad I picked up this game, especially since I was doing a "yes, no, yes, no" with the game up until I actually saw it in a store and just bought it.

Had the bass up too high tonight since my neighbors started calling me up to tell me that they could hear a low, deep, continues rumble. I just can't play this game on low volume though, so I called it a night.

MorisUkunRasik said:
I traded my obsidian for the Level 6. And just for kicks switched back.

I beat it on normal and then started on Hard. I'm finding it much easier maybe because I'm now familar with the controllers and have my cutter upgraded all the way

Both of your points seem to contradict what everyone else has said in this thread (i.e. you can't take off the DLC suits once applied, and you can't take stuff from a completed game onto a different difficulty level). Are you sure?

HugBasket

Banned
wenis said:
i already beat the game without cheat codes, cheat codes have always been apart of gaming. get off your high horse :lol
but .. ruining the experience! not playing the game as intended! no manning up!

oh well, atleast i'll enjoy the difficulty of the game

TP

Phthisis said:
This game is always scaring me with bodies on the floor. Every time I think it's going to be a necromorph, it ends up just being a dead human. Every time I think it's just a dead human, it jumps up right at my feet and scares the shit out of me. I can't predict this shit.

I use Kinesis, if the body stays on the floor I run up to it and stomp before it can get up

Chapter 10:

I need help trying to reach the singluarity core. WTF am I supposed to do, exactly? I keep getting fried by the engines...HELP

Big-E

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Chapter 10:

I need help trying to reach the singluarity core. WTF am I supposed to do, exactly? I keep getting fried by the engines...HELP
I believe that is Chapter 9 but anyway, what you got to do is cut 6 panels to shut off the engines. There are 3 on each side. What you got to do is push the engine on wach side up and stay close to them as they protect you from the blast. You just basically move the engine on one side up to the wires, cut them, move to the other side and move up then cut the wire. Just repeat this till all of them are cut and the core is yours.

Big-E said:
I believe that is Chapter 9 but anyway, what you got to do is cut 6 panels to shut off the engines. There are 3 on each side. What you got to do is push the engine on wach side up and stay close to them as they protect you from the blast. You just basically move the engine on one side up to the wires, cut them, move to the other side and move up then cut the wire. Just repeat this till all of them are cut and the core is yours.

Yes you're right, Chapter 9, my bad.
And dammit that's what I thought but I kept getting blasted, must need to be very precise about it. Thank you for the response.

endlessflood said:
Both of your points seem to contradict what everyone else has said in this thread (i.e. you can't take off the DLC suits once applied, and you can't take stuff from a completed game onto a different difficulty level). Are you sure?

I think I was confused when I posted that. I have started playing again using my completed game file as a base. After I beat the game and started again on the same file, I bought the lvl 6 suit. When I go to the store I can choose the obsidian, pay 0 credit and I go into the store, it closes and switches my suit. I can go back to the store and select the Lvl 6 suit and pay 0 credit and it switches.

switching difficulty is not an option when starting again off of a completed file. I misspoke.

linsivvi

HugBasket said:
and some of you really make me hate gaming. cheat codes, desire for new game+, bunch of girls you are

i plan on completing the game without a weapon on impossible mode for one of my plays and here you all are using free armor and codes

sickening

Eh what???

You need to go out more dude.

MorisUkunRasik said:
I think I was confused when I posted that. I have started playing again using my completed game file as a base. After I beat the game and started again on the same file, I bought the lvl 6 suit. When I go to the store I can choose the obsidian, pay 0 credit and I go into the store, it closes and switches my suit. I can go back to the store and select the Lvl 6 suit and pay 0 credit and it switches.

You can switch between the 2 DLC suits and the level 6 suit. But once you equipped the DLC suits, you can never buy the level 1-5 suits.

Big-E

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Yes you're right, Chapter 9, my bad.
And dammit that's what I thought but I kept getting blasted, must need to be very precise about it. Thank you for the response.

You just have to stay close to them as they only cover you if you are directly behind them, You also need to time it precisely. It's important to only do one wire cut per side and then switch or else you will get burned. Do on one side and the do one on the other.

Big-E said:
You just have to stay close to them as they only cover you if you are directly behind them, You also need to time it precisely. It's important to only do one wire cut per side and then switch or else you will get burned. Do on one side and the do one on the other.

that part pissed me off, sometimes you get burned when you're directly behind it, only the left side gave me troubles.

linsivvi said:
Eh what???

You need to go out more dude.

You can switch between the 2 DLC suits and the level 6 suit. But once you equipped the DLC suits, you can never buy the level 1-5 suits.

isn't the Obsidian/Elite basically a slightly upgraded lvl 5 suit? why would you want to go anywhere but lvl 6 after using the DLC suit?

linsivvi

MorisUkunRasik said:
isn't the Obsidian/Elite basically a slightly upgraded lvl 5 suit? why would you want to go anywhere but lvl 6 after using the DLC suit?

For aesthetic reason. And because I got the Scorpion suit for free, I tried it on the first moment I could. Now I will never know what the level 2-5 suits look like, unless I start the game from scratch.

linsivvi said:
For aesthetic reason. And because I got the Scorpion suit for free, I tried it on the first moment I could. Now I will never know what the level 2-5 suits look like, unless I start the game from scratch.

they add more and more armor as you would expect. I did enjoy watching the progression. I didn't use the obsidian til I got the level 4 suit, but lvl 6 really is awesome.

linsivvi

MorisUkunRasik said:
they add more and more armor as you would expect. I did enjoy watching the progression. I didn't use the obsidian til I got the level 4 suit, but lvl 6 really is awesome.

Yeah level 6 looks great. Anyway, it's not a big deal.

MorisUkunRasik said:
They are downgraded lvl 5 suits, max inventory but their armour rating is the equivalent of the lvl 2 suit.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
MorisUkunRasik said:

They're actually downgraded, the armor defense is lower than the normal level 5 suit.

Beaten...is it seriously only level 2 defense?

I understand the complaints, its not a huge deal but should not have been over looked cause people will nit pick. I managed to beat the game with the obsidian at about 10 hours, so I don't think the rest of gaf will have a problem, the difficulty doesn't really spike towards the end. I actually had a harder time beating the leviathan than I did fighting the last boss.

linsivvi

Papercuts said:
They're actually downgraded, the armor defense is lower than the normal level 5 suit.

Beaten...is it seriously only level 2 defense?

They have an armor rating of 10%. Normal suits have defense of 5% x level.

Scorpion is 25% though. :D

Azar

Just beat the game. On the whole, it was really awesome. I look forward to playing it again with more badass weapons. And I'll probably play through on hard or insane at some point, too.

I wish there'd been something after the credits showing what happened to Isaac. :(

Azar said:
Just beat the game. On the whole, it was really awesome. I look forward to playing it again with more badass weapons. And I'll probably play through on hard or insane at some point, too.

I wish there'd been something after the credits showing what happened to Isaac. :(

Not exactly a spoiler but could give away Azar's spoiler:
It was my understanding that EA plans on making DS a franchise so I'm sure we'll find out what happens to Isaac. Also how freaky was the whole Nicole showing up thing!

Halvie

Banned
Big-E said:
Just started Chapter 11. Man, Chapter 10 was so fucking tense. Sucks about not being able to transfer stuff to higher difficulties. I chose to play on Hard because I thought it would give me an achievement but hard isn't the hardest.

Do you open up a harder difficulty after beating it on hard?

Halvie

Banned
Anyone have a clue what to do on chapter 9?
the section where you toss the green balls into space...did that and can't figure out what to do next. I don't have any oxygen tanks so I have to stick sort of close to those refillers on the bottom of the level.

Halvie said:
Do you open up a harder difficulty after beating it on hard?
You unlock impossible mode, I unlocked it after I beat it on normal. Not sure if you can unlock impossible after beating easy or if there is any higher difficulty setting than impossible.

Halvie

Banned
MorisUkunRasik said:
You unlock impossible mode, I unlocked it after I beat it on normal. Not sure if you can unlock impossible after beating easy or if there is any higher difficulty setting than impossible.

I take it there is a achievement for beating it on impossible? Don't even think I am gonna try that. Having a hard enough time on hard.

Halvie said:
Anyone have a clue what to do on chapter 9?
the section where you toss the green balls into space...did that and can't figure out what to do next. I don't have any oxygen tanks so I have to stick sort of close to those refillers on the bottom of the level.

there's an entrance that becomes unlocked after you get rid of all the radioactive weapons, its the entrance to the other ship that received your distress signal. its a bit towards the left and upward

I like the plasma cutter a lot. It works in all scenarios, makes getting the trophy for only using the cutter less burdensome and more fun, for me at least. Mine is upgraded to the max so that probably has something to do with my infatuation with it.

It does lose a lot of that "oh crap I wonder whats gunna happen" obviously. Its a lot like watching a horror movie multiple times. I'm playing through again mostly for the trophies. How awesome a sequel could be is a thought that lingers in the back of my mind throughout my second play through.

What's the best method for taking out small, gel-like critters? Once they swarm on you, it sucks. I've only run into them twice, though.

Currently on Chapter 3. I've been playing in the dark, and am using surround sound. So far, I don't think the game is very scary. I'm finding it a bit predictable. I won't lie that I end up panicking when I'm surrounded and can't see shit, though. ("OHHH FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK!")

For the sequels, they should rely on psychological horror. They should study System Shock 2 and Silent Hill. Those games are the only ones that ever scared the living shit out of me, and it wasn't this surprise horror that Dead Space uses on the most part. I was afraid ALL THE TIME.

Darklord

Banned
Sigh. It seems I won't be getting this for PC after all.

http://whatifgaming.com/dead-space-...-control-problems-and-issues-not-fluid-enough

"The controls are 2nd to the worst controls we've seen ever since Path of Neo came to the PC platforms. The smoothness compared to consoles is just not there, and from what we can tell it doesn't seem like a patch can fix most of the issues. Inventory stack access becomes frustrating when fighting with monsters and aiming for on-the-fly changes. The controls just aren't smooth."

Shitty port confirmed. :\

Raistlin

Darklord said:
Sigh. It seems I won't be getting this for PC after all.

http://whatifgaming.com/dead-space-...-control-problems-and-issues-not-fluid-enough

"The controls are 2nd to the worst controls we've seen ever since Path of Neo came to the PC platforms. The smoothness compared to consoles is just not there, and from what we can tell it doesn't seem like a patch can fix most of the issues. Inventory stack access becomes frustrating when fighting with monsters and aiming for on-the-fly changes. The controls just aren't smooth."

Shitty port confirmed. :\

Even when using a controller? Wow, that sucks.

Compared to many games though, it shouldn't be a big deal to get the console version. I'm sure the PC version would have looked a bit better, but this was born as a console game ... and it shows (not just talking about control).

The graphics are certainly not hurting on PS3/360. Quite the opposite actually.

Halvie said:
how do you beat the leviathan?

If nobody's answered yet,:

Shoot the yellow sacs on the tentacles, when it lands on your side it's going to do a sweep, jump to the ceiling, then continue shooting.

When it opens its mouth, use kinesis to grab the balls it throws and shoot it back into its mouth.

PC Gamer UK review: 86%

Onix said:
Even when using a controller? Wow, that sucks.

The fact isn’t a matter of customization as much as it’s just not feasible to do most of the mapped controls on the keyboard and still maintain a fluid transition between interface and gameplay.

He is talking about KB/M.

Zzoram said:
The Line gun seems to work so much better than anything else I've tried.
Yeah. The thing is awesome. Ammo is very limited, though. :\

So, um, I'm confused here. Is there no New Game+ on a beaten round? What I mean is, when you beat the game, can you replay the game on that save with all your equipment and stuff?

Top Bottom