• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space |OT|

Raistlin

Elite

isaac_elite.jpg

isaac_elite_2.jpg

Obsidian

isaac_obsidian.jpg

isaac_obsidian_2.jpg

The Scorpion suit is available as DLC for both revs.

The PS3 one is garbage, has half the defense of the real lvl 5 suit and being all black makes your character near indistinguishable in the frame since so much of the game is drenched in shadow.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
MickeyKnox said:
The PS3 one is garbage, has half the defense of the real lvl 5 suit and being all black makes your character near indistinguishable in the frame since so much of the game is drenched in shadow.

The 360 one is the same defense-wise. The people doing a DLC suit run right from the start get the immediate benefit of all the inventory and extra defense, but later in the game it becomes worse than the normal suit. Being dark obviously isn't a problem for it though.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I finally got around to starting this, got to the beginning of chapter 4, and I am blown away. The atmosphere, the story, presentation and everything else is top notch. Can't wait to continue later on.

Azrael

MickeyKnox said:

I think it looks pretty good, and I have the lighting set to minimum brightness.

todahawk

Papercuts said:
The 360 one is the same defense-wise. The people doing a DLC suit run right from the start get the immediate benefit of all the inventory and extra defense, but later in the game it becomes worse than the normal suit. Being dark obviously isn't a problem for it though.

just got to the first shop and equipped the obsidian suit. can you upgrade the defense on it? or am i screwed late/end game? haven't saved yet so i could quit if it's gonna suck later.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
greenjerk said:
just got to the first shop and equipped the obsidian suit. can you upgrade the defense on it? or am i screwed late/end game? haven't saved yet so i could quit if it's gonna suck later.

Look above. :p

You're screwed, you even earn something after beating the game that you won't be able to upgrade to.

greenjerk said:
If you didn't save then reset, or better yet if you haven't gone through a door since you equipped it just kill yourself to get reset your actions in that room.

Couple of Achievement questions for you guys (reply to this post, but please PM me if you can help):

I have no idea what the "There's always Peng!" achievement is. The hint says "Find the Peng treasure" -- anybody know what the hell that is?

Also, there is a "secret" achievement (bastards...) -- any hints on these two?

I just finished the game a second time. 9:57 for the first round and around 7 hrs the second time. I got the "Maxed out achievement right before the final boss and I was aiming for that one since "go". Save your cash and sell all your air, stasis, unneeded ammo, etc if you want that one -- it took me 2 complete look-in-every-corner playthroughs to earn enough scratch for it.

The only ones I missed were Beating the game on the hardest setting, beating the game with only the Cutter, and the 2 listed above.

Can't say it enough: THIS GAME FUCKING ROCKS.

todahawk

MickeyKnox said:
If you didn't save then reset, or better yet if you haven't gone through a door since you equipped it just kill yourself to get reset your actions in that room.
Thanks, i think i'll reset as I put both nodes I had into the plasma cutter. i think i'll be better off upgrading to level 2 and putting one node into hp, unless someone has other recommendations.

Just finished Chapter 4. Really impressed with what seems to be the average length of a chapter. I move slowly so each one is taking me over an hour to complete. On the downside, though, the game did have it's first "this is stupid and not fun" moment. Most people probably know what I'm talking about. Those types of parts are few and far between, right?

~Kinggi~ said:
Oh fuck that's not fair, im stuck with the freaking Elite suit wth :(

The Elite and Obsidian DLC suits are not even close to being bad. I think everyone is really overreacting about the defense rating. The key is you can store a full 25 items from the start of the game -- and since you'll find health packs everywhere, you shouldn't die more than 10-20 times unless you really suck.

Just use the Elite/ Obsidian suits and save yourself a ton of credits.

kathode

All right, I got the engines working and everything is great, hooray! Let's fix this orbit thing and we're good to .... what? Seriously, what did you say? Asteroid defense... Asteroid-- Ok, now you're just pulling random sci-fi word combinations out of your ass. Did you really need another hour of gameplay that badly?

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
so what, I can only use the cheat codes once during my playthrough?

thats not cheat codes....thats lame.

WHOAguitarninja said:
Just finished Chapter 4. Really impressed with what seems to be the average length of a chapter. I move slowly so each one is taking me over an hour to complete. On the downside, though, the game did have it's first "this is stupid and not fun" moment. Most people probably know what I'm talking about. Those types of parts are few and far between, right?
That's the only one.

Also about movement and pacing, I think one of the most remarkable thing about this game is that it's the only game (that I can think of) that has walking as the default speed and running as a button press where I spent the vast majority of the game NOT running. The ship and it's environments have just the right amount of straight line distance, corners and environmental obstacles to sync up with the character's walk animation to make me keep my weapon drawn in order to "slice the pie" and have better situational awareness, which along with the sound and visual design helps keep the tension level very high.

todahawk

Team Klimt said:
The Elite and Obsidian DLC suits are not even close to being bad. I think everyone is really overreacting about the defense rating. The key is you can store a full 25 items from the start of the game -- and since you'll find health packs everywhere, you shouldn't die more than 10-20 times unless you really suck.

noted, but will i be able to get teh level 6 suit mickey mentioned after beating the game?

Team Klimt said:

You never get to wear this if you use them:
http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff287/gafpics/DSC00377.jpg

todahawk

MickeyKnox said:
You never get to wear this if you use them:

i'm not gonna look but i don't wanna miss the chance to get it!
any advice on how to spend my nodes?

edit: DAmmmit, did you stealth edit that? I didn't want to see the suit! it wasn't showing a second ago.

So I beat my first
brute
in Chapter 4, took the elevator down to the Atrium, and good God that
woman's scream
sent a very unpleasant chill down my neck. At least, I think it was in that elevator. Regardless, it was enough for me to save and call it a night. Great game.

MickeyKnox said:
Also about movement and pacing, I think one of the most remarkable thing about this game is that it's the only game (that I can think of) that has walking as the default speed and running as a button press where I spent the vast majority of the game NOT running.

Condemned.

linsivvi

wenis said:
so what, I can only use the cheat codes once during my playthrough?

thats not cheat codes....thats lame.

Yep, except the stasis and air codes, you can only use them once. Even if you start a new game+, you can't use them again.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Finished chapter 6. I am so in love. It's like playing through and exploring some of science fiction's best movie scenes.

your_fat_uncle

Neo Member
I don't understand the feeling that the game sucks because it quickly turns into an action game. The thing is, no one EVER did that well in a game because you will NEVER stay scared of the same setting or situation for more than an hour or two. The same thing happened with all Resident Evil games, The Suffering, Slent Hill series, every other horror game that lasted an extended length of time. Frankly, I loved when it turned into just a really gruesome action experience.

TP

linsivvi said:
Yep, except the stasis and air codes, you can only use them once. Even if you start a new game+, you can't use them again.

So it's once per save and not just once?
I'm in a really bad situation on Hard and my only option is the
money cheat and I would like to be able to use it again on Impossible

linsivvi

Team Klimt said:
Couple of Achievement questions for you guys (reply to this post, but please PM me if you can help):

I have no idea what the "There's always Peng!" achievement is. The hint says "Find the Peng treasure" -- anybody know what the hell that is?

Also, there is a "secret" achievement (bastards...) -- any hints on these two?

You can find Peng at
chapter 11 where your original ship/shuttle is parked, just look around

Not sure which secret achievement you're missing, the ones you can miss are:
play catch with a brute or leviathan - catch the ball they shoot out
avoid the grab of the lurkers 10 times - took me a while, just let them grab you and keep pressing X
finish the shooting mini-games with 50%+ health - the asteroid one is the hardest

Jeo said:
So it's once per save and not just once?
I'm in a really bad situation on Hard and my only option is the
money cheat and I would like to be able to use it again on Impossible

Well, you can't change difficulty with new game+ so you'll have to start a new game on impossible anyway.

Mindlog

Loving the game, some people even just enjoy watching with the surround cranked and lights out.

Hard was HARD, but I thought I was doing all right :[ 4-6 shots to kill a guy and I didn't know what crates and whatnot were so all my ammo was scavenged off the deceased.

So I turned it back down to normal... wayyyy too easy. Haven't died once, I have so much ammo that I'm not even picking any up anymore :]

I've skipped using the DLC suits. I was planning on using one, but decided against it. DLC suit + Hard might be a good pairing.

I'm about 1/2 way through level 2 I believe. Sticking with the first pistol thing because it seems to work well enough. Bought a level 2 suit already. Keep spending power cores on upgrading the suit good idea or bad idea? I also don't really plan on getting a different weapon any time soon. Good idea?

anyways, great game and I'm glad I bought it.

fistfulofmetal said:
I can't believe you can't remove the Obsidian suit. That is such a crock of shit. I have enough credits for the level 5 suit and I can't buy it. Bull.
that's not true at all. I traded my obsidian for the Level 6. And just for kicks switched back.

I beat it on normal and then started on Hard. I'm finding it much easier maybe because I'm now familar with the controllers and have my cutter upgraded all the way, I'm going for the "Beat with the game with only the cutter" trophy. Already took down the Final boss with just the cutter so I assume the rest should be pretty simple.

Ploid 3.0

kathode said:
All right, I got the engines working and everything is great, hooray! Let's fix this orbit thing and we're good to .... what? Seriously, what did you say? Asteroid defense... Asteroid-- Ok, now you're just pulling random sci-fi word combinations out of your ass. Did you really need another hour of gameplay that badly?

Asteroid defense is a serious business for your modern space station. Not having it is inviting death.

Zzoram

So, Chapter 4, the super annoyingly hard part

Any tips on Asteroid Defense? I keep losing, it's SO hard! If only I could use a mouse, this would be no problem. The right thumbstick aiming for this part is way too clunky.

Flunkie

Banned
MorisUkunRasik said:
that's not true at all. I traded my obsidian for the Level 6. And just for kicks switched back.

I beat it on normal and then started on Hard. I'm finding it much easier maybe because I'm now familar with the controllers and have my cutter upgraded all the way, I'm going for the "Beat with the game with only the cutter" trophy. Already took down the Final boss with just the cutter so I assume the rest should be pretty simple.
Wait, you got to carry over everything from your Normal game into your Hard game? Really?

I've noticed lately while playing Dead space that I haven't had any rumble. I tested some other titles like force unleashed and hells highway with the same results. Is anyone else having this problem? I have rumble turned on in the xmb menu but I'm not getting anything. However I do have rumble for psn games.

Zzoram

Flunkie said:
Wait, you got to carry over everything from your Normal game into your Hard game? Really?

If you can do that, this game just got way more awesome. I've been reading that you get stuck on the same difficulty in your New Game+

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I thought you couldnt carry things over to harder difficulties? besides the DL'd suits I don't think that is possible.

Zzoram

wenis said:
I thought you couldnt carry things over to harder difficulties? besides the DL'd suits I don't think that is possible.

Which is a dumb design decision, it makes more sense to be able to carry your stuff up to higher difficulties, especially since the highest one is an unlock.

HugBasket

Banned
Rated-Rsuperstar said:
I've noticed lately while playing Dead space that I haven't had any rumble. I tested some other titles like force unleashed and hells highway with the same results. Is anyone else having this problem? I have rumble turned on in the xmb menu but I'm not getting anything. However I do have rumble for psn games.
your battery is low

and some of you really make me hate gaming. cheat codes, desire for new game+, bunch of girls you are

i plan on completing the game without a weapon on impossible mode for one of my plays and here you all are using free armor and codes

sickening

Big-E

Just started Chapter 11. Man, Chapter 10 was so fucking tense. Sucks about not being able to transfer stuff to higher difficulties. I chose to play on Hard because I thought it would give me an achievement but hard isn't the hardest.

Zzoram

So someone help me with the near-end hard part of Chapter 4. What am I doing wrong? It's impossible. Starting my 11th try now...

Top Bottom