• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space |OT|

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Swedish LEVEL gave it a 9 out of 10... holy shit (that's good).

Ricker

U K Narayan said:
What's the best method for taking out small, gel-like critters? Once they swarm on you, it sucks. I've only run into them twice, though.

ALL THE TIME.

Flamethrower works well and the Pulse later on.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I hear if you beat it on a difficulty twice, you can actually carry stuff over to a higher one. Someone should confirm this.

Kadey said:
I hear if you beat it on a difficulty twice, you can actually carry stuff over to a higher one. Someone should confirm this.
I doubt it, but it would be nice. I aim to beat this game on Impossible... so I will need all of the underhanded tricks I can find. :D

hteng said:
someone spoil me, what exactly are those necromorphs? what is the "marker"? and why was it made?
Watch the online comic. Altogether, it should take you about 20-25 minutes to watch all of them.

Just go to the Dead Space website.

Then you could watch the movie. Both are really good, in my opinion. They lead you well into the game.

vilmer_

U K Narayan said:
Yeah. The thing is awesome. Ammo is very limited, though. :\

So, um, I'm confused here. Is there no New Game+ on a beaten round? What I mean is, when you beat the game, can you replay the game on that save with all your equipment and stuff?

Yes. I'm doing my Round 2 right now, with all of my previous gear and some very nice bonuses from finishing the game :)

BdoUK

So is the consensus that the PS3 version and 360 version are pretty much identical? I only own a few games for my PS3 so I'm thinking about getting that version to show my PS3 some love.

dk_

Is there a way to go back to the default suit once you changed it for the Obsidian?

EDIT: nvm :-(

And you can't cancel cutscenes?

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
fuck I thought the Euro release was the 20th, turns out it's the 24th. I really hope some store gets their copies in early

Chris_C

Wish this game had a screenshot utility, it can be very pretty sometimes. The Obsidian suit looks awesome. Also, I'm playing it on easy:lol

And yeah, the sound design is amazing.

calder

ChrisGoldstein said:
Can I equip a DLC suit once I started?
You'll see it in the store for 0 credits, so first time you find a store kiosk in game you equip it.

And yes, there are some amazingly good visuals in this game. I've never seen "blood splattered wrecked spaceship covered in gibs and debris" as good looking as this one. :lol Some of the times you step outside or see space around you are incredible, just a fantastic design to the graphics and top notch audio all around.

Zeliard

kathode said:
All right, I got the engines working and everything is great, hooray! Let's fix this orbit thing and we're good to .... what? Seriously, what did you say? Asteroid defense... Asteroid-- Ok, now you're just pulling random sci-fi word combinations out of your ass. Did you really need another hour of gameplay that badly?

Another hour of gameplay? The asteroid part is literally 2 minutes long, if not less. And it's really not as hard as people make it out to be. Slow, steady movements is the key. And alternate between the two turrets so both don't overheat at the same time.

FabCam

On a rating from 1-10 how scary is this game? 10 being so scary that you walk step by step round every single corner? I'm really hyped for RE5 and this looks like a great game to fill the horror time :D

AndresON777

shooting blanks
calder said:
You'll see it in the store for 0 credits, so first time you find a store kiosk in game you equip it.

And yes, there are some amazingly good visuals in this game. I've never seen "blood splattered wrecked spaceship covered in gibs and debris" as good looking as this one. :lol Some of the times you step outside or see space around you are incredible, just a fantastic design to the graphics and top notch audio all around.

Thanks, btw sound is incredible

calder

Zeliard said:
Another hour of gameplay? The asteroid part is literally 2 minutes long, if not less. And it's really not as hard as people make it out to be. Slow, steady movements is the key. And alternate between the two turrets so both don't overheat at the same time.
He probably means the ADS section in total, it did feel a bit tacked on to me too but it gave the game a great 'outside' sequence and it wasn't that terribly long so I was ok with it. There is definitely some quest padding going on, similar to Bioshock when you are given a pretty standard task for a chapter and then, wouldn't you know it, suddenly the one task is 3 separate sub quests. Even the characters in DS are going "I don't believe this, ____ is broken too! I'm sorry Isaac, you're going to have to ____ the ____ as well!"

Chapter 6 question:
Okay, I'm up to the Leviathan (anyone else think RE "Plant Room", btw?) and I'm having difficulties.
I've figured out that the Line Gun is the best against the tentacles. 5-6 hits to the weak spot while they're exposed and it cuts off. Cut off all 3, chuck the pods back in his mouth... but then the tentacles grow back.
I simply don't have enough Line Racks to do it again... and possibly again.

How exactly am I supposed to do this?

Zeliard

calder said:
He probably means the ADS section in total, it did feel a bit tacked on to me too but it gave the game a great 'outside' sequence and it wasn't that terribly long so I was ok with it. There is definitely some quest padding going on, similar to Bioshock when you are given a pretty standard task for a chapter and then, wouldn't you know it, suddenly the one task is 3 separate sub quests. Even the characters in DS are going "I don't believe this, ____ is broken too! I'm sorry Isaac, you're going to have to ____ the ____ as well!"

What was the "ADS section in total"? As I recall, there's the asteroid defense part, which lasts 2 minutes long. And there's the part where you have to run to the other side while asteroids are bombarding the ship, which is also very short and much easier than the asteroid defense (all you had to do was move up and get behind the barriers at intervals when the asteroids weren't hitting).

And I liked the parts where one task was split up into several sub-tasks, a lot. It made the game a lot more open-ended. You could use the in-game map to plan out the most efficient routes to take to go from objective to objective. I remember all of chapter 6 was like that, split up into several sub-objectives, and it might be the best one because of it (I'm on Chapter 10 right now, nearly 11, and most of time it's just been one objective at a time).

Revolutionary said:
Chapter 6 question:
Okay, I'm up to the Leviathan (anyone else think RE "Plant Room", btw?) and I'm having difficulties.
I've figured out that the Line Gun is the best against the tentacles. 5-6 hits to the weak spot while they're exposed and it cuts off. Cut off all 3, chuck the pods back in his mouth... but then the tentacles grow up.

If you don't have enough ammo, you're in for a tough ride. I remember I was extremely lucky when I got to that fight because I had a contact beam on me with a ton of ammo for it, and just a single charged up shot takes out an entire tentacle. If you have that weapon, you might want to reconsider reloading a save and trying to get some ammo for it. Makes things much more manageable. They eventually stop growing back after you cut them down enough. I also launched some contact beam shots at the guy's mouth when his tentacles were gone, before they regrew, but I don't remember if that was doing anything.

Draft

Revolutionary said:
Chapter 6 question:
I've figured out that the Line Gun is the best against the tentacles. 5-6 hits to the weak spot while they're exposed and it cuts off. Cut off all 3, chuck the pods back in his mouth... but then the tentacles grow back.

Cut off the first set of tentacles so that the mouth opens. Start shooting into the mouth while dodging the exploding orbs. If you are low on ammo, telekinesis the exploding barrels into its mouth.

Man, is it just me, or does the ripper basically do the same job as the flamethrower but 100 times better? And even fully upgraded the force gun seems startlingly ineffective, especially compared to say the linecutter.

Snapshot King said:
Man, is it just me, or does the ripper basically do the same job as the flamethrower but 100 times better? And even fully upgraded the force gun seems startlingly ineffective, especially compared to say the linecutter.
I suck with the Ripper. I can never get it to cutt off limbs on Hard lol. They seem to always rush me while the blade is cutting them up and knock me down or something.
I prefer the Force Gun. Knock em down and then blow them up with the Alt fire. :D

Zeliard

Snapshot King said:
Man, is it just me, or does the ripper basically do the same job as the flamethrower but 100 times better? And even fully upgraded the force gun seems
startlingly ineffective, especially compared to say the linecutter.

I think they serve different purposes. The flamethrower is more to take care of the smaller mobs and to finish off those creatures you've dismembered that are crawling towards you, while the ripper just cuts up whatever's in front of you. Having said that, yeah, I do think the ripper is a much better weapon. It's probably the best weapon in the game against a single opponent, since you need so little ammo to take someone down (usually just one saw can do it on the lowest upgrade level, at least on medium).

As far as the force gun, I love it. Might be my second favorite weapon in the game after the line gun, which is probably the best weapon overall. The force gun's pushback capabilities alone make it hugely valuable in a game like Dead Space, where the #1 priority in combat is to keep the enemies from getting to you. Plus the alt-fire's long range force grenade thing comes in handy a lot as well. It's true it's not nearly as good at dismembering as the other weapons, but if you're close enough you can still explode an enemy pretty nicely with it at times.

Revolutionary said:
Chapter 6 question:

I used the plasma gun. Went back to the store, sold all other ammo i didn't need and loaded up on plasma ammo.

Baron

All right, so if you upgrade to the Obsidian/Elite or Scorpion suit, if I understand this right, you are screwed and can't upgrade again? What if you upgrade to the Level 2 suit - can you continue to upgrade the suit from that or is it the same situation? Or is it just a restriction with the downloadable suits? Because that suit you get after beating the game is fucking cool as ice. I want that.

MercuryLS

Banned
Phthisis said:
This game is always scaring me with bodies on the floor. Every time I think it's going to be a necromorph, it ends up just being a dead human. Every time I think it's just a dead human, it jumps up right at my feet and scares the shit out of me. I can't predict this shit.

I stomp every goddamn body I see on the floor. Can never be too careful.

This game is freaking the shit out of me, it's the quiet moments that get me. When you hear some rustling in the distance, or a shadow quickly pop in and out around a corner. Those are the moments where I just freeze up.

Zeliard

Baron said:
All right, so if you upgrade to the Obsidian/Elite or Scorpion suit, if I understand this right, you are screwed and can't upgrade again? What if you upgrade to the Level 2 suit - can you continue to upgrade the suit from that or is it the same situation? Or is it just a restriction with the downloadable suits? Because that suit you get after beating the game is fucking cool as ice. I want that.

Yeah, I'm not sure how it all works. There seems to be some confusion. Like, is the suit you get for beating the game able to be carried over to a higher difficulty and found at the store, or is it tied into your inventory so it can only be re-used in the same difficulty after New Game +?

And I was planning on going through Hard with one of the DLC suits after beating it on medium the normal way, but if the DLC suits have gimped, level 2 defense and that can't be upgraded, I'm not sure if that wouldn't just make it much harder (especially in the latter half of the chapters).

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Just beat it.

-Hard mode
-Plasma Cutter run only(One gun achievement!)
-14-ish hours on saveclock.
-705 total achievements on first run.

Awesome game. I recommend it to anyone that likes stuff.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
EDIT: Nevermind.

Big-E

Just finished the game now and wow what a wonderful experience. Right its my runner up for game of the year behind MGS4. Everything about this game was awesome. Playing on Hard really upped the tension. I was a bit surprised with the final boss being so easy but the part before it I felt was really hard. Look forward to this studios next game.

jacobs34

I'm seven chapters in and I'm really loving the game. I have one question for everybody. How are you guys rolling weapons wise? I've sticked mostly to the plasma cutter, but I picked up the flamethrower a level ago just have a second option if I run out of ammo.

TP

Freedom = $1.05 said:
For the dismemberment trophies: Does dismembering a corpse count? I've been stomping anything and everything to try and get this :lol

I've heard that it does
sometimes the bodies respawn so you can stomp 'em some more

Zeliard

jacobs34 said:
I'm seven chapters in and I'm really loving the game. I have one question for everybody. How are you guys rolling weapons wise? I've sticked mostly to the plasma cutter, but I picked up the flamethrower a level ago just have a second option if I run out of ammo.

For the first half or so of the game I switched between weapons often, though I always kept and used the plasma cutter and line gun. With most of the later chapters, though, my four weapons were the plasma cutter, line gun, force gun, and contact beam. The rest I sold off at various points because I needed the credits.

I've found it to be a really good idea just to have the contact beam on hand. It's mostly useful against large enemies and bosses, or long-range enemies, but I've been getting tons of ammo for it which sells at a high price. A single bit of contact energy sells for 1000 credits, and you pick them up by twos.

theBishop

Banned
The game is obviously well-made. I can't say it's a bad game. But I'm not sure I like how I feel while I'm playing it. It's really tense, and that level of tension gets fatiguing after a short time. It also starts to feel a little gimmicky when I enter a room I know is about to spawn a bunch of demons.

It's very Doom3 in that way.

Chris_C said:
I love the fluidity of Isaac's movement, it seems a small thing, but he animates nicely and is responsive.

It's the little things that make the animation great. For instance, when Isaac is walking over that strange alien sludge, his walking animation changes to something close to what someone would actually do if they were stepping in a gooey and foreign substance. Very cool.

dk_

Zeliard said:
I think they serve different purposes. The flamethrower is more to take care of the smaller mobs and to finish off those creatures you've dismembered that are crawling towards you, while the ripper just cuts up whatever's in front of you. Having said that, yeah, I do think the ripper is a much better weapon. It's probably the best weapon in the game against a single opponent, since you need so little ammo to take someone down (usually just one saw can do it on the lowest upgrade level, at least on medium).

As far as the force gun, I love it. Might be my second favorite weapon in the game after the line gun, which is probably the best weapon overall. The force gun's pushback capabilities alone make it hugely valuable in a game like Dead Space, where the #1 priority in combat is to keep the enemies from getting to you. Plus the alt-fire's long range force grenade thing comes in handy a lot as well. It's true it's not nearly as good at dismembering as the other weapons, but if you're close enough you can still explode an enemy pretty nicely with it at times.
Thanks for the weapons guide. :D

Punch and stomp are pretty useless (at least on hard), aren't they?

linsivvi

So I started a new game on impossible, and interestingly I am wearing the level 6 suit instead of the level 1 one. Nothing else carried over except the suit because it's a totally new game. I wonder if this is intentional or a bug. It will certainly make my life a little bit easier.

Is it worth my while to buy power nodes early in the game? I'm not sure what else I should be spending my cash on (other than new weapons.)

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
linsivvi said:
So I started a new game on impossible, and interestingly I am wearing the level 6 suit instead of the level 1 one. Nothing else carried over except the suit because it's a totally new game. I wonder if this is intentional or a bug. It will certainly make my life a little bit easier.

You started with it already on? I could see it being in the store, but that would help a lot.

Top Bottom