• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space |OT|

Tiktaalik

RPS37 said:
Matt Leone's 1UP.com review is up.
B+

This review strongly weakens my interest in the game, but I'm still going to wait for more impressions and reviews before making my final decision as to whether I'm going to get it day one.

Leone's review sort of confirms my fears that the game is 90% what the videos have shown, which is slowly moving around sci fi corridors, taking out baddies. That is fine, and his review says it's definitely cool and fun, which is good, but I was definitely wishing that there was more to the game than that (yes I realize there is antigrav puzzle bits), and Leone's review kinda makes it sound like everything other than the action is a bit of an afterthought.

As well Leone states that the game is RE4 scary instead of RE1 scary and describes it as a "limited-ammo shooter". That's not too big of a deal for me, since I found RE4 to be great, and while it didn't scare me in the same "ahhh!!!" way that RE1 did, it certainly got my pulse racing. Still, describing it as a shooter again goes to my earlier point of disappointment that it seems like there isn't much to the game outside of the action bits.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Leone's review is exactly what I like to see from a review. Honestly, fair criticism and without hyperbole.

I can't wait. :D

HiResDes

RPS37 said:
Matt Leone's 1UP.com review is up.
B+
A lot of fair sounding criticisms, though he since he spent the majority of the review describing the games failings the score he gives the game in the end is a little surprising. I know reviews don't have to have to be long-winded, scientifically detailed descriptions filled with hyperbole and sensationalism, but overall the review sounded very weak and lacking in any true feeling...If robots could write reviews, they might sound just like Matt Leone...And what is with 1up always getting the guy that doesn't like a game's supposed genre to review or preview such highly hyped titles.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
HiResDes said:
A lot of fair sounding criticisms, though he since he spent the majority of the review describing the games failings the score he gives the game in the end is a little surprising. I know reviews don't have to have to be long-winded, scientifically detailed descriptions filled with hyperbole and sensationalism, but overall the review sounded very weak and lacking in any true feeling...If robots could write reviews, they might sound just like Matt Leone...And what is with 1up always getting the guy that doesn't like a game's supposed genre to review or preview such highly hyped titles.
This has a degree of truth to it. Look at it this way, all the criticisms and he still gave it a solid score. This is a great thing for a new IP or any game. To withstand some of the gripes and still come out with a damn good score. Hyped even more now.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I, for one, want to know what Nick Suttner thinks of the final build. :D

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
RPS37 said:
Matt Leone's 1UP.com review is up. B+

A fairly written review, though it looks like it should have been assigned to a person that actually likes horror movies/games, as I would have liked to know their opinions instead of someone that doesn't "get" them.

Having said that, he basically sold me further on it as it sounds exactly like a System Shock-esque space horror game should. Wednesday can't get here soon enough!!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
The reviews sound a bit disappointing as the game really does seem to have followed a predictable route. At the same time, it's nice to hear that the game plays beautifully and remains solid throughout. It sounds like a great game that's worth playing yet fails to leave a significant impact on gamers.

I'm still looking forward to playing it, though.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Has the bonus content gone up on marketplace yet? I keep checking :lol

As the first game in a new series, I think Dead Space is off to a great start.

Kingpen

Hmm Eurogamer review says 11 hour long on initial playthough.... I gotta say the devs hyping up 15+ hours of content and then hearing this is disappointing.

It will be a game day decision on Wednesday if I sill pick this up, or just pay off my other pre-orders.

h3ro

Y2Kev said:

It was already up in the PSN Store, I haven't checked whats new in the Marketplace since the Viva Pinata TIP demo went up... Not sure if I'm gonna pick it up yet, but I'll be damned if I miss free DLC... :D

kaskade

Kingpen said:
Hmm Eurogamer review says 11 hour long on initial playthough.... I gotta say the devs hyping up 15+ hours of content and then hearing this is disappointing.

It will be a game day decision on Wednesday if I sill pick this up, or just pay off my other pre-orders.
I always say you can cut 2-3 hours off what the devs say the game length is.

man was so looking forward to this game, but the 1up and especially the eurogamer reviews are making me less interested in buying it in such a busy release schedule. especially with Saints Row 2 launching same time then fallout/fable/gears etc. will probably wait till its on sale, like $30.

Truant

ThePeacemaker02 said:

I don't know, I like to explore as much as possible. I got a good 20 hours out of Bioshock.

HiResDes

ThePeacemaker02 said:
Not really, since it will almost always take the average gamer longer to complete a game then a reviewer, who has deadlines to meet...Well most of them, except for those that work for Gamespot. :D
I'm guessing it will take me around 15 hours to complete this game, since I usually like to sip at my games like a nice dark beer straight from the brewery, instead of downing them, unless the games resemble macros in quality.

HiResDes

cleveridea said:
man was so looking forward to this game, but the 1up and especially the eurogamer reviews are making me less interested in buying it in such a busy release schedule. especially with Saints Row 2 launching same time then fallout/fable/gears etc. will probably wait till its on sale, like $30.
Let me get this straight, SR2 > Dead Space, when it comes to buying priority. Both games are rehashes in some ways, and refinements in others. The difference is that Dead Space isn't releasing in the same year as RE5.

Cheech

I have this preordered, but I'm still not sold on it. I'm pretty "eh" on the gameplay videos.

The weapons look, for lack of a better word, "shitty".

Also, are you fighting that same squid creature all the time? Because that's really the only monster I've seen in the gameplay vids.

HiResDes said:
Let me get this straight, SR2 > Dead Space, when it comes to buying priority. Both games are rehashes in some ways, and refinements in others. The difference is that Dead Space isn't releasing in the same year as RE5.

no, just personal preference. I love messing around in vehicles in open world games so I love Mercenaries 2 even though it got only mediocre reviews for example.

todahawk

Y2Kev said:

Same here, although I was really hoping for a timed attack mode that you could unlock after beating the single player storyline similar to Mercs in RE4 and other games. That sort of mode adds a ton of fun, replay and value.

Based on the one review it sounds like the areas where you're trapped for a time until you clear out a certain number of enemies work really well and a mode like that wouldn't be that hard to do.

Anyone know who the developer is and if they have a history of supported their games post launch? edit: looks like EA...

The problem that I see with the lower bound of the scores so far is that people were expecting Bioshock/RE4 again. It seems like the trend of late is to proclaim a game revolutionary and original, and then expect every entry in the genre that follows it to be exactly the same. It's a bit mind boggling to be honest.

Bioshock and RE4 were both fun titles that I spent my fair share of time with, but they're both far overrated and overpraised (especially the first). I'll probably still rent Dead Space due to the absolute plethora of titles releasing in the next few weeks, but I'll play for the game it is, not the game it isn't.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Tiktaalik said:
As well Leone states that the game is RE4 scary instead of RE1 scary....

ARGH! That's exactly what I was worried about! None of the videos I watched showcased anything even remotely scary, but I was reassured by some of the other reviews.

todahawk

Freyjadour said:
The problem that I see with the lower bound of the scores so far is that people were expecting Bioshock/RE4 again. It seems like the trend of late is to proclaim a game revolutionary and original, and then expect every entry in the genre that follows it to be exactly the same. It's a bit mind boggling to be honest.

Bioshock and RE4 were both fun titles that I spent my fair share of time with, but they're both far overrated and overpraised (especially the first). I'll probably still rent Dead Space due to the absolute plethora of titles releasing in the next few weeks, but I'll play for the game it is, not the game it isn't.

Jefe: I have put many beautiful pinatas in the storeroom, each of them filled with little suprises.
El Guapo: Many pinatas?
Jefe: Oh yes, many!
El Guapo: Would you say I have a plethora of pinatas?
Jefe: A what?
El Guapo: A *plethora*.
Jefe: Oh yes, you have a plethora.
El Guapo: Jefe, what is a plethora?
Jefe: Why, El Guapo?
El Guapo: Well, you told me I have a plethora. And I just would like to know if you know what a plethora is. I would not like to think that a person would tell someone he has a plethora, and then find out that that person has *no idea* what it means to have a plethora.
Jefe: Forgive me, El Guapo. I know that I, Jefe, do not have your superior intellect and education. But could it be that once again, you are angry at something else, and are looking to take it out on me?

</obscure 3 amigos quote>

Darklord

Banned
indie85 said:
Damn, 1up and Eurogamer kill the hype once again.

Good. Whenever the hype is huge GAF'ers expect way too much, end up disappointed and over time start hating it. It started on Diablo 3 about 30 seconds after it was announced.

Just wait and see the Little Big Planet hate start to fly a week after it's released.

"10? How did it get so many 10's? This a 7 at best"
"GOTY? More like OHGOTY(over hyped game of the year)"
"Holy shit THIS is what I've been waiting for? What a major disappointment"

6 months later:

Worst game this gen thread:

"Little Big Planet. Fuck that shit"
"GTA4 or Little Big Planet. Waste of money"

ect, ect.

greenjerk said:
Jefe: I have put many beautiful pinatas in the storeroom, each of them filled with little suprises.
El Guapo: Many pinatas?
Jefe: Oh yes, many!
El Guapo: Would you say I have a plethora of pinatas?
Jefe: A what?
El Guapo: A *plethora*.
Jefe: Oh yes, you have a plethora.
El Guapo: Jefe, what is a plethora?
Jefe: Why, El Guapo?
El Guapo: Well, you told me I have a plethora. And I just would like to know if you know what a plethora is. I would not like to think that a person would tell someone he has a plethora, and then find out that that person has *no idea* what it means to have a plethora.
Jefe: Forgive me, El Guapo. I know that I, Jefe, do not have your superior intellect and education. But could it be that once again, you are angry at something else, and are looking to take it out on me?

</obscure 3 amigos quote>

<my little buttercup>

It's a male plane!

</my little buttercup>

pleth·o·ra /&#712;pl&#603;&#952;&#601;r&#601;/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[pleth-er-uh]
–noun
1. overabundance; excess: a plethora of advice and a paucity of assistance.

todahawk

Freyjadour said:
pleth·o·ra /&#712;pl&#603;&#952;&#601;r&#601;/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[pleth-er-uh]
–noun
1. overabundance; excess: a plethora of advice and a paucity of assistance.

yes, i know you used it correctly, I just couldn't pass up a chance to whip that quote out... :D

HugBasket

Banned
Why do we care about reviews? Just look at the 1up review, half of it was pictures. That is what he used to balance out his negative review, fucking pictures. "Well I could write some positive things about the game and justify the score I gave it but I'll just put pictures up instead." What the hell, does 1up have a 1up maximum for reviews? Does IGN have to have hyperbole? More importantly, why does GAF keep eating it up?

If you're uncertain about a game wait for the GAF consensus a day or two after the game comes out.

RavenFox said:
Hmm good point. Seeing as the creatures in Dead Space do mimic the Thing to a T. I was keeping it in space but yes the Thing is a winner.
Really? I didn't think the vaginamonsters and the necromorphs were very similar at all.

garath

The reviews aren't killing my hype. However, the length is killing my desire to spend $60 with back to back to back 'must haves' - Fable 2, Fallout 3, Resistance 2, GoW2.

I may try to squeeze this into a TRU deal with a friend otherwise 10-12 hours is a little short for my hard earned cash. :(

RavenFox

Banned
VeritasVierge said:
So should I get the 360 one or the PS3 one?
Unless you have suit preference to a specific system then either one 'I think' should be fine. We'll know if there are any console specific optimizations on release though.

Top Bottom