• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space |OT|

Zeliard

I hope they release some DLC for this game other than suits, like extra weapons or powers. I hate a lot of the DLC nickel-and-diming bullshit in this gen, most of it because it's clearly milking and was clearly purposefully held back from the retail version, but Dead Space is easily a $60 experience as it stands. I'd gobble up some DLC for it instantly.

Danielsan said:
Yeah that's pretty much my strategy but his little friends with the charred skin like to attack me from behind.

line gun is useful to just cut them off at the legs, awesome when upgraded. then plasma cutter for the vertical.

if part is hard, sell stuff and buy more ammo. its easy to be stingy with ammo to spend money on power orbs

edit- oh and use stasis (and upgrade it)

RavenFox

Banned
GuessWho said:
thank god, and when do you get the lvl 6 suit? what chapter?
When you beat the game you unlock it. Cost credits though. So original poster was right when he said you have to play through the game with the Obsidian suit.

Darunia said:
I have one complaint so far: the map is complete ass.

I never used the map other than for split seconds to see how close I was to a save point/store/upgrade station. It's completely pointless with the objective guidance system (which is an amazing feature btw).

RavenFox

Banned
The Interrobanger said:
I never used the map other than for split seconds to see how close I was to a save point/store/upgrade station. It's completely pointless with the objective guidance system (which is an amazing feature btw).
Well different strokes for different folks. I get to see where saves, stores and workbenches are. Plus extra rooms off the beaten path.

Zeliard

The Interrobanger said:

I thought the map came in handy in chapter 6 since you had multiple, split objectives. It made it easier to plot a more effective route rather than randomly going all over the map, redundantly. You can change your objective in the map when you have more than one, and the blue guidance line will point to that one instead.

Danielsan

The Interrobanger said:
I loved the game so much, I explored every area anyways, local objective or not. Half the time you try to explore, locked doors stop your path.
That brings me to one of my nitpicks with this game:
I wish I could use the tram system to freely travel back to previous areas.

The Interrobanger said:
I loved the game so much, I explored every area anyways, local objective or not. Half the time you try to explore, locked doors stop your path.

this.

explore every corner because the game is a lot easier that way, you find plenty of ammo. it was only near the end of the game I actually bought ammo, before that I sold many of more expensive ammo for power nodes. some ammo is worth a lot of money, and often you can take out an enemy with no or minimal rounds.

I just finished the first chapter, and I have to say that I am absolutely in love with the game. I hadn't seen any gameplay-footage prior to the purchase - only a few screenshots and a short trailer - and I'm both surprised and impressed by the visual and atmospherical aspects of the game. I love the fact that the gameplay reminds me of Resident Evil 4. The visual design is incredible, and hits the right notes with me personally. The Planet Cutter -ship is a sci-fi -fans' dream - they absolutely nailed the look as far as I am concerned.

Man, oh man. I kind of promised to finish off Mass Effect before I really start with this game, but I don't know if I can stop now. Can't frickin' wait to play more.

Chapter 5
on hard. the hunter gave me a SHIT load of trouble. espescially that first room you get locked in there with him. i wish there'd been some sort of clue to tell me that i had to clear out all the other monsters before i could leave that room. i was looking for a switch, or something to do with the sparking energy core that had powered up the door.

it doesn't make a great deal of sense that hunters don't set off lock down.

only gripe so far though. i was real low on ammo and had to use some real tactical shooting to get the hell out of there.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
plagiarize said:
Chapter 5
on hard. the hunter gave me a SHIT load of trouble. espescially that first room you get locked in there with him. i wish there'd been some sort of clue to tell me that i had to clear out all the other monsters before i could leave that room. i was looking for a switch, or something to do with the sparking energy core that had powered up the door.

only gripe so far though. i was real low on ammo and had to use some real tactical shooting to get the hell out of there.

heh That's exactly where I'm at. I'm deciding whether to buy more ammo or just make what little I have count (trying to save my $$$ for a level 3 suit).

Danielsan

This game also wins the award for most gruesome dead scenes ever. There is one where one of the small enemies strangles Isaac's head off and places itself in Isaac's neck. Really fucked up shit.

plagiarize said:
Chapter 5

That gave me some trouble, too. I blew through way too much ammo and health packs in those sequences.

ukas

Cornballer said:
That gave me some trouble, too. I blew through way too much ammo and health packs in those sequences.

I'm in the same spot. Now I'm starting to wonder if playing on hard was a good idea. I actually made it to the point where the door unlocks but, the monster must have farted on me and killed me right as I was running out the door. I was too pissed to load it again and shut the damn thing off.

Nose Master

I'm enjoying this game, but I find it hard to get myself to boot it up or keep playing. I'm only on Chapter 3 after having it for over a week.

Nose Master said:
I'm enjoying this game, but I find it hard to get myself to boot it up or keep playing. I'm only on Chapter 3 after having it for over a week.

Im the same way with Silent Hill. Lost total enthusiasm for it. With Dead Space, there are so many great parts, I suggest you get back into it.

ukas said:
I'm in the same spot. Now I'm starting to wonder if playing on hard was a good idea. I actually made it to the point where the door unlocks but, the monster must have farted on me and killed me right as I was running out the door. I was too pissed to load it again and shut the damn thing off.
I'm playing on medium and it wasn't that bad, but I need to be more deliberate about my decision making under pressure - I think I used way more health packs than I needed to when I was frantically hammering the X button. :lol

playing on medium, one of the top 3 games for me this year. Im on Chapter 8 and recently sold my ripper and its ammo because I rarely used it and they were giving me way too much ammo for it, i usually use my plasma or the line. Contender for GOTY for sure.

ukas said:
yeah, it was a definate difficulty spike on hard. make sure you have full stasis. stasis the hunter and cut his leg off. listen for the sound of him regrowing his bits. make sure you save at least one jolt of stasis for when the door unlocks so you can stasis him again and get the hell out of there.

worst thing for me is that i only realised on level 4 that those little panels have power nodes in them. would have saved money and been able to upgrade more stuff if i hadn't stupidly missed that on the first three missions.

right now i'm rocking the contact gun, the rifle, the cutter and the plasma torch. swarms make me wish i had the flamethrower, but apart from that i'm pretty happy.

i like the alt fire on the contact gun quite a bit. it can be a fucking life saver.

Danielsan

Nearing the end of chapter 10. I'm done for today. I need to take a breather.
Chapter 10 actually got to me in terms of fear. Being hunted by an unstoppable force always gets to me. It's also the reason why Haunting Ground (PS2) freaked me the hell out (I couldn't bring myself to finish it). Chapter 10 also has some really claustrophobic moments. Great stuff. :D

I fully upgraded my rig and plasma cutter and I'm well on my way with the rifle, I've finally upgraded it to a level where it actually seems to do damage.

Movement

Finished it last night.
Last scene was a little cliche and iffy. O scary zombie lady
was that supposed to be the lady who betrayed you? Does Issac die? Why didn't Isaac talk
dammit!!
But I absolutely adored this game. I thought they just did such a great job designing the ship
and the feeling you're in space. Not exactly scary but very tense at parts.
It's probably my favorite multi-plat game this year. Definately recommend it to anyone
unless you hate shooters.

dralla

The game seems to ramp up the scares later in the game, Chapter 9 :[ I got 2 more Chapters to go, I'll probably finish it tonight.

Has anyone downloaded the Elite Suit?
I got it and loaded up the game [was already on chapter 2], screen came up saying something like "scanning for downloaded content" but the new suit hasn't appeared and I cant seem to find it in the inventory.

Xbox 360 version btw

Movement

grounded_dreams said:
Has anyone downloaded the Elite Suit?
I got it and loaded up the game [was already on chapter 2], screen came up saying something like "scanning for downloaded content" but the new suit hasn't appeared and I cant seem to find it in the inventory.

Xbox 360 version btw

You have to go to the store and its on the very bottom, its 0 credits.

Are the zero-g portions making anyone else physically ill? I've never experienced this in a game before, but if the zero-g segments take more than about ten minutes to get through, I start to get a headache and an upset stomach.

Ricker

Just beat the game on medium,took me 15 hours...the only thing I managed to fully upgrade was my Rig but that's probably because it took me 3 levels before i realised i could kick open those big,flat looking crates with the green circle on them...man what an awesome ride,fantastic game,one of the best this year so far...I want more ;P

Danielsan

distantmantra said:
Are the zero-g portions making anyone else physically ill? I've never experienced this in a game before, but if the zero-g segments take more than about ten minutes to get through, I start to get a headache and an upset stomach.
They don't make me physically ill but they can be pretty damn disorientating, sometimes it takes a while for me to figure out what's up and what's down. It's a good thing though, it adds to the experience. The zero G parts are probably some of my favorite sections. :D

Movement

Ricker said:
Just beat the game on medium,took me 15 hours...the only thing I managed to fully upgrade was my Rig but that's probably because it took me 3 levels before i realised i could kick open those big,flat looking crates with the green circle on them...man what an awesome ride,fantastic game,one of the best this year so far...I want more ;P

Haha, same here it was like chapter 8 and my girlfriend said "what are those green things
for?" I thought I knew everything and was just like nothing! god, then I kicked one and a bunch of ammo came out. I felt like an idiot lol.

Raistlin

Ricker said:

:lol Same here.

I actually realized it at the end of the first level, but was too lazy to backtrack through the entire thing.

I've been playing this for a while now and I must say it's pretty awesome. I'm in chapter 3. I have one question, Is there are any punishment for dying or reward for beating the game without continuing? I have a weird habit of always reloading a save insteading of continuing but I'm getting my ass kicked by the
centrifuge

Danielsan

Ninja Kn1ght said:
I've been playing this for a while now and I must say it's pretty awesome. I'm in chapter 3. I have one question, Is there are any punishment for dying or reward for beating the game without continuing? I have a weird habit of always reloading a save insteading of continuing but I'm getting my ass kicked by the
centrifuge
I don't think there is any form of punishment. Just use the continue system (which is fantastic btw).

Since the PC port of Silent Hill: Homecoming seems to be delayed till who knows when, I might just have to pick up Dead Space instead for my next-gen horror fix.

Could my system play this at 1600x1200?

Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4 GHz
2 GB RAM
Geforce 7950GX2
XP Pro SP3

dk_

Just finished that
asteroids
part in chapter 4. I expected it to be really hard (on hard :D) after some comments here, but in fact it was a piece of cake. You only have to concentrate on the
asteroids
in the middle and shoot the
big ones
first.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
faceless007 said:
Since the PC port of Silent Hill: Homecoming seems to be delayed till who knows when, I might just have to pick up Dead Space instead for my next-gen horror fix.

Could my system play this at 1600x1200?

Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4 GHz
2 GB RAM
Geforce 7950GX2
XP Pro SP3
I'm more of a guru on notebook GPUs, but just going by a comparison of our stock 3dMark06 SM scores, I'm wild guessing like 45-55fps.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
In chapter 4 now. This game is really, really good. It exceeded my expectations by far. I'm off to play more. It's sucking me in completely.

Nemesis_

So, can someone answer this, is the Scorpion suit BETTER than the Elite Suit in any way?

The only reason I am not playing this as much is because I want to play it at night by myself to get the full effect :lol

Nemesis556 said:
So, can someone answer this, is the Scorpion suit BETTER than the Elite Suit in any way?

Well it has 25% armor while the Elite one has 10%, i think. Unless there are some hidden damage modifiers applied to either suit. Since the standard lvl 5 suit has 25% armor as well. Maybe lvl 5 just refers to the appearance.

jaaz

dk_ said:
Just finished that
asteroids
part in chapter 4. I expected it to be really hard (on hard :D) after some comments here, but in fact it was a piece of cake. You only have to concentrate on the
asteroids
in the middle and shoot the
big ones
first.

Bingo-le.

I failed about 3 times until I tried that and then passed it on the first try. :lol

KGKK

Banned
Chapter10 spoilers
The beginning of this chapter creeped the fuck out of me. All groggy, dark and silent in my living room, full glorious HD with 5.1 surround sound, listening to twinkle twinkle with all those dead bodies with their faces covered and the candles lit. I kept expecting them to come alive the first time:lol

i didn't have any trouble with that bit on chapter 4.

chapter 6 was a lot easier than chapter 5 was on hard. the
leviathan
went down first try without much bother. fun fun fun :) half way done. worth every penny and the extra wait for the pc version.

Top Bottom