• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deadly Premonition: Director's Cut |OT| Day One, there's no but. So says Mr. Stewart.

2aKA5HG.gif

George is creepy

Personally, I didn't find the framerate unbearable at all. I had bigger issues with the framerate in Tomb Raider PS3 to be honest, because those frame drops came at the worst possible times (in the middle of firefights).
In Deadly Premonition, nothing is ever happening when the frames drop (which makes them more baffling, really), except for the PIP sequences.. but those require minimal controller input anyway.
This. The framerate is nowhere near as bad as some people are making it out to be. Yes it does drop from time to time, but when it does, it doesn't affect gameplay in any way, it won't have you chugging along in combat, you won't die from it, maybe it'll be an eye sore for a few seconds then it's gone. I'm primarily a console gamer so maybe my standard is low/tolerance is high. if you're used to silky smooth 60fps on PC then I guess it could be insufferable for you; but if you're used to gaming on the PS3, it's not much worse than any other game. The only game I would deem unplayable due to framerate issue is Skyrim on the PS3, it was practically a slideshow near the end of the game, and Deadly Premonition's framerate never gets anywhere near that level of awfulness.

It's still shameful to release a game in such a state and claim that it is an "improved" version though.

ironcreed

Banned
It plays fine to me. A few stutters here and there, but it always smooths out. Overall, it plays much better than the 360 version with that ridiculous camera.

I just got this game a few days ago without knowing what I was getting into. I'm really enjoying it so far!

The driving is my only issue, because it's hilariously bad. It reminds me of EnviroBear for some reason.

Himself

So disappointed in this apparently shitty port. Should I just return it before opening it and try hunting down a 360 copy?

Himself

The gameplay is actually much better with the new camera, so maybe try it for yourself? It's fine for me so far.

Cool. I'm usually not that much of a stickler for performance unless it's drastic like PS3 Bayonetta/Skyrim levels of shit.

I played Zone of the Enders 1 HD on PS3 and wasn't really bothered.

ironcreed

Banned
Cool. I'm usually not that much of a stickler for performance unless it's drastic like PS3 Bayonetta/Skyrim levels of shit.

I played Zone of the Enders 1 HD on PS3 and wasn't really bothered.

There are a few hitches here and there, but it always smooths back out so far. Of course I am usually tolerant of frame drops anyway, but I do notice it when it affects gameplay. That has not been the case here for me.

god damn it willie if you steal my evidence one more time
Oh you'll be thankful that he steals your evidence every time you run into him, otherwise you'll be locked out of a quest reward if he only does it once when you don't have all necessary evidence on you.

MBison

About to start this, I'd rather just play on easy to enjoy the story and missions. I assume I don't lose any gameplay on easy just enemy difficulty?

My first Platinum trophy! :D

I completed this yesterday and loved it exactly like the first time I played it on 360.
It sure is amazing how despite it being called "Director's Cut" is kinda worse than the original in some aspects... especially the bad driving, I was hoping that at least that could have been fixed.
And the map not being able to zoom out is flat out unexcusable. Good thing that I won't need it anymore! I got Greenvale impressed in my brain now!

I haven't had many problems with the frame rate apart from the area in the world map around the Milky Barn and the occasional new item glitch, solvable by just spamming the start button.

Here are some bugs I encountered:
Driving upside down - It happened with
York's car
, I was driving uphill when I hit something and my car overturned, I kept driving upside down for a few meters/yards before the car straightened out by itself. Harmless and hilarious.
Sound glitch - A noticeable very small pause before a couple dialogue lines throughout the whole game.
Fishing rod missing - This one was quite bad as it could potentially lead to a broken sidequest, and therefore render reaching 100% impossible. I read earlier that it hit someone here too. I was lucky enough to not have the
Legendary rod
in my inventory, but my regular rod definitely disappeared, I had to rebuy it from Polly.
Checkpoints not working correctly - Playing the Map C sidequest, I got killed during the third room and the second room once, both times respawning more than 1 gameplay hour before during another sidequest and well before several more recent gamesaves. I was able to recover the lost progress simply returning to the game title and reloading the save.
Brian disappearing - He's supposed to be at the cemetery at all times with all weather conditions, and yet sometimes he just wasn't there, sleeping didn't fix that. Going a few miles away, entering a building and coming back did.

I'm sure I'm forgetting something, I'll follow up tomorrow if I remember more.

Locke_211

I was reading a novel yesterday that I'm thinking of doing some serious academic work with, and it described how the main character had been so badly treated by his interrogators that a cloud of flies was surrounding him. It just reminded me I should be playing Deadly Premonition some more.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
So in order to get the platinum, I just need to complete all the side missions (which also involves collecting all the cards) and complete the game?

Bittercup

I finished the game and have to agree with the positive reputation the game has. Really amazing and one of the most interesting games I played.
Fortunately I didn't have many technical problems like glitches and bugs and only one scene where the fps dropped to an unplayable level (unfortunately during a timed puzzle). And I'm not sure limiting the difficulty to a very easy level was the best decision. For the first hours I would have said yes, because there was very little fighting and mostly story, driving around, talking to people etc and the combat has easily the weakest gameplay. But towards the end there was a lot more fighting and no more side missions and the game became a bit boring to play and medikits were for 99% of the game unnecessary.
But I have no problem to overlook the flaws because the game shines so much with its story and the characters. In the end I really cared about them, especially the main protagonist.

@ULTROS!
Yes exactly.

TheGrue

My Amazon code finally worked today. You guys should be able to start redeeming now. Guess they forgot to put it up before.

Is it hard to find all the trading cards? I just started the game (just met Mr. Stewart for the first time) and all I've been worrying about is finding them.

I thought you guys were exaggerating regarding the trading cards spoiling stuff, since I've gotten quite a few and I've reading them all and until yesterday there was nothing I'd consider spoilers (at least nothing too bad), but today I got
Carol's card and found out she dies later (4th victim? WTF!). :(

So yeah, I'm done reading them.

My first Platinum trophy! :D

I completed this yesterday and loved it exactly like the first time I played it on 360.
It sure is amazing how despite it being called "Director's Cut" is kinda worse than the original in some aspects... especially the bad driving, I was hoping that at least that could have been fixed.
And the map not being able to zoom out is flat out unexcusable. Good thing that I won't need it anymore! I got Greenvale impressed in my brain now!

I haven't had many problems with the frame rate apart from the area in the world map around the Milky Barn and the occasional new item glitch, solvable by just spamming the start button.

Here are some bugs I encountered:
Driving upside down - It happened with
York's car
, I was driving uphill when I hit something and my car overturned, I kept driving upside down for a few meters/yards before the car straightened out by itself. Harmless and hilarious.
Sound glitch - A noticeable very small pause before a couple dialogue lines throughout the whole game.
Fishing rod missing - This one was quite bad as it could potentially lead to a broken sidequest, and therefore render reaching 100% impossible. I read earlier that it hit someone here too. I was lucky enough to not have the
Legendary rod
in my inventory, but my regular rod definitely disappeared, I had to rebuy it from Polly.

Checkpoints not working correctly - Playing the Map C sidequest, I got killed during the third room and the second room once, both times respawning more than 1 gameplay hour before during another sidequest and well before several more recent gamesaves. I was able to recover the lost progress simply returning to the game title and reloading the save.
Brian disappearing - He's supposed to be at the cemetery at all times with all weather conditions, and yet sometimes he just wasn't there, sleeping didn't fix that. Going a few miles away, entering a building and coming back did.

I'm sure I'm forgetting something, I'll follow up tomorrow if I remember more.

Is the
Legendary Rod
used in something else other than the
Legendary Tabatha Quest?
Because after doing that it disappeared from my inventory.

I'm still trying to find out how to unlock the Emily catsuit. I really hope it's not pre-order only.
Mostly because stores would not take a preorder. Everywhere I went I was told that it didn't have a hard release date so they would not take money Even GS said that, and then they got it the next day. WTF

Is the
Legendary Rod
used in something else other than the
Legendary Tabatha Quest?
Because after doing that it disappeared from my inventory.

You don't need it anymore but it shouldn't disappear from the inventory.
I used it later to fish for other stuff, but you can do that with the normal rod that you can buy from Polly anytime no problem.

Good thing you already did that, you would have been locked out of that quest otherwise.

I believe we have enough sightings of this problem to consider it a bug, Persona7 would you mind adding this to the OP?

Fishing Rod disappearance bug - It seems that an item necessary to complete a sidequest has a tendency to disappear from the inventory, making it impossible to complete that particular quest as the item cannot be obtained by other means. This item is not required to finish the story, you only need it if you want to complete the game 100% and obtain the Platinum trophy. To avoid the problem do the quest in one sitting without saving until you finish the quest.

I used it later to fish for other stuff, but you can do that with the normal rod that you can buy from Polly anytime no problem.

Good thing you already did that, you would have been locked out of that quest otherwise.

Thanks! I did the quest while replaying a chapter, after resuming my game the rod wasn't in my inventory anymore (normal rod was there though, so were all the other items I got while replaying the chapter). Hmmm.

And congrats on your 1st Platinum. :)

I just watched someone in a stream 100% this game, and the game goes until the credits, but the post credits scene is skipped, instead, it shows
your mother and father standing there, and Xander does the whole "Purge what mustn't exist" line. Then he gives you revolver bullets and a doughnut.
Then if you reload your save, you just fall through the world. What. Anyone got any ideas on this?

I just watched someone in a stream 100% this game, and the game goes until the credits, but the post credits scene is skipped, instead, it shows
your mother and father standing there, and Xander does the whole "Purge what mustn't exist" line. Then he gives you revolver bullets and a doughnut.
Then if you reload your save, you just fall through the world. What. Anyone got any ideas on this?

As I recall, the post credits scene changes every time you beat the game on the same file.

Disappointed at the lack of Deadly Premonition avatars on PSN today. EU has apparently had them for quite some time. I just want the Raincoat Killer avatar. :(

Frazley

Got my copy Friday due to shipping issues. My DLC code worked today finally! I am enjoying it so far, if you think of it as a B movie and not a AAA it actually is fun! Got me started watching Twin Peaks on NetFlix!

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Got my copy Friday due to shipping issues. My DLC code worked today finally! I am enjoying it so far, if you think of it as a B movie and not a AAA it actually is fun! Got me started watching Twin Peaks on NetFlix!

0p1SLlM.gif

I did the same with the original. Now it's probably my favorite show of all time.

Frazley

0p1SLlM.gif

I did the same with the original. Now it's probably my favorite show of all time.
I know the best place for pie!

This game is starting to grow on me even more. I truly think the Devs realized their budget couldn't do AAA so they did the best they could to make a game that feels like a B movie. Maybe I'm a sucker for cheese, but this game is like mozzarella pizza! I may need to get Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon next to continue this campy feeling.

I believe we have enough sightings of this problem to consider it a bug, Persona7 would you mind adding this to the OP?

Such a bummer, my desire to play the game kind of plummeted after I experienced this. Was looking forward to getting 100% in it. Oh well, I'll finish it of course within the next few days.

oldmario

i have a question about the last chapter/episode

when i'm laying in bed zach starts trying to talk to york and he asks if he's ready to go yet, if i go can i come back to my save? still need to do some things and don't wanna screw it up

Exr

Just bought this after jealously reading about it for years and I'm liking it so far. For some strange reason I can easily see myself killing hours at a time just driving around and listening to Yorks conversations with himself. Am I alone in thinking this is strangely addicting?

Iph

Banned
Just picked this up the other day. I started reading about the original game a few months ago only to find out a director's cut was coming out for the PS3! Very impressed so far. <3

ironcreed

Banned
Man, I totally forgot just how fucked up playing this game can be. Creepy, insane, immersive, charming and hilarious all in one package.

Mubbed

How does replaying battle encounters for the sole purpose of acquiring trading cards work? Are the cards missable, can you grab the card and somehow exit the other world?

SmithnCo

How does replaying battle encounters for the sole purpose of acquiring trading cards work? Are the cards missable, can you grab the card and somehow exit the other world?

Yes, You can grab the cards and exit from blue exit points throughout the level. It's pretty easy to just run through and get them.

Bittercup

Is it hard to find all the trading cards? I just started the game (just met Mr. Stewart for the first time) and all I've been worrying about is finding them.
No need to worry. Most cards aren't hidden and even marked on your map, or are given as a quest reward. Few are in houses in a drawer so just make sure to open everything.
Only few aren't obvious but you can always find them later or with replaying.

I caved on the game after saying I wouldn't. Is there a 100% guide anywhere telling you what do in the right order?
I don't know if there's such guide, but this might help:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/xbox360/943397-deadly-premonition/faqs/59531
Just scroll down to the side mission section. There they are listed in chronological order so you can always check if you have done everything you could so far.
That's the only thing that has a order.
The main game is pretty much straight forward and the rest like fishing can be done every time you can walk around freely.

Top Bottom