• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Democrat Debate 7 [CNN] But...the electorate refused to change

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Thank you.
Thank you.
Thank you.
Thank you.
Thank you.
Thank you.

I'm no poltics-savvy person but the vibe I have been getting from Clinton is that she is someone who is just out for power. To become powerful, to be the one in power.

If there's one thing I've learned from J.K Rowling, it's that people like that should be highly suspect.

Jesus christ so Clinton is Voldemort now?

bounchfx

"thank you"
"thank you"
"thank you"

Lol

I really wish debates were a bit more mature. at least it's not like the repub stuff but it's still kinda silly.
also, while I agree with some of the stuff hilary puts forward, my biggest issue is the fact that I simply can't trust what she says, not only how she speaks and presents herself but her actual record is full of lies. I know shes a politician, but still. argh.

foxtrot3d

Banned
Why should Clinton's foreign policy record be admired? Her biggest legacy seems to be involvement in the Libyan intervention, which I believe has shown itself to be a huge misstep.

Foreign policy is not an area that lends itself to single big achievements, it's about keeping healthy relations with our allied partners and negotiating with other countries on all issues. The majority of her achievements we probably won't ever hear about.

That's the theory, the reality is Detroit for the middle class. Capital and corporations are the ones to benefit the most of trade agreements.

It's the practice too. Free trade is a big part of why the standard of living in places like China has risen dramatically. Like I said, rough transition, one we're in the middle of.

SaviourMK2

the stream keeps stuttering on Sanders, it's like the site is trying to punk me into thinking he's having an attack while he speaks

pigeon

Banned
I'm not the one exercising that right in this exchange.

Worthwhile post!

Meanwhile, here is an example of the issue, from the Atlantic:

Bernie Sanders is pulling a sleight-of-hand here, as he castigates trade for the decline of Detroit—which, as he notes, was the wealthiest city in America on a per capita basis in 1960.

Free trade can take some of the blame for the decline of the American auto industry, for which Detroit is sometimes employed as a metonym. But Sanders is talking about the actual city. And the municipality of Detroit entered its steep decline long before Japanese auto manufacturers eroded G.M.’s profits; it fell victim to decades of state and federal policies that promoted investment in suburban greenfield factories, but prevented black workers from buying homes near the relocated jobs. As Tom Sugrue brilliantly demonstrates in The Origins of the Urban Crisis, race lay at the heart of this.

Bernie Sanders’s Twitter account has been promoting this trade-based account of Detroit’s decline. And it speaks to some of the struggles his candidacy has encountered. He tends to focus on broad economic forces that have disparate impact on minority communities, but tends not to grapple with racism itself, or the way it shapes and distorts public policy. But American inequality long antedates NAFTA—this was a country whose early wealth was entwined with slavery—and it’s hard to see how a single-minded assault on free trade alone will succeed in remedying it.

mackaveli

Bernie's faces and gesturing are disgusting me.

Show some fucking respect. Hillary never does that to him.

Exactly. Hillary is always composed no matter what. Like does Clinton ever make a face or remark or shit. Annoying as fuck like when Anderson was saying thank you you see Bernies face. Hillary never does that even if Sanders goes over.

Slayven

Bernie talking alot but ain't saying anything

Way to brag about yourself to a dude that almost lost his daughter

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Answer the question Bernie.

Speak for yourself. I'm a Democrat, but party leadership on a national level as well as a state and local level for me is a total shit show. It makes me hate my party.

Amen. There should be no reason why Democrats don't control all branches of government at the federal level and dominate the state level across the country. But the Democratic Party is a shit show that bends over backwards for their Republican friends. Might as well have an R next to most Democrats in leadership.

Damerman

Thank you! I'm seriously kinda going from liking the guy and his policies (but doubting his chance) to thinking he's being a major dick and trying to drag this debate into GOP-debate territory.
You need to find some fucking chill bro. You are being hysterical.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I gotta say, I'm really disappointed with Hillary tonight. Where's her Bladerunner clothes? I like when it feels like she arrived in a flying car.

how is he against free trade and ex-im bank?

It's so unnecessarily to paint Boeing and ex-im bank as negative, in my opinion. It is true that they are a mega-corporation, but they also employ thousands and thousands in the US, still in manufacturing (for now).

All of a sudden there's real nuance to take into consideration in legislation when it's about gun control, huh Bernie.

Stark contrast about any other issue it seems.

venne

If he dislikes the DNC so much then why not stay independent?

Because we live in a political duopoly.

Do you know how hard it is to run for any political office as an independent versus either as a Democrat or a Republican? They aren't remotely comparable.

These parties get to write the rules for elections. Small wonder that rarely anyone other than a D or R serves in elected office.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom