• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Democrat Debate 7 [CNN] But...the electorate refused to change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even if a store follows the law and intensive background checks happen, everything comes up clear, and the store legally sells the gun.

Then later the owner of the gun later shoots up a place.

Should the gun shop be sued?

Edit: And Bernie is bringing this up now lol.

Just an observation! I picture a lot of ad material is being made here by Bernie tonight in terms of guns.

stupei

Suggesting Boeing and Wall Street are corrupt in their pursuit of money but gun manufacturers are just trying to make a living isn't a good look.

Wagram

If you hold a manufacturer responsible for someone doing something terrible with it, then where does that end. Do I sue a company if someone attacks my family member with a shovel for example?

zou

Poor Sanders just doesn't understand what's being talked about.

And what a disrespectful fuck, ugh.

Owzers

I mostly agree with Bernie, i think. It's somewhat like how republicans go after clinics that provide abortions, guns are not illegal to purchase, you can't go after gun manufacturers whenever there is a shooting. I dunno.

pigeon

Banned
how is he against free trade and ex-im bank?

It's so unnecessarily to paint Boeing and ex-im bank as negative, in my opinion. It is true that they are a mega-corporation, but they also employ thousands and thousands in the US, still in manufacturing (for now).

Yeah, it speaks to the black-and-white nature of Sanders's perspective here. The Ex-Im Bank isn't a payout to corporations -- it makes money for the government. It doesn't destroy American jobs, it funds them. But because it's a program that involves making loans for American corporations, it must be evil! No further analysis required.

SaviourMK2

To be honest. I think they are both just being realistic. You can't just say "BAN GUNS" it won't happen.

It's not impossible. The Constitution is ratifiable, the problem is that because the country is so huge now in compared to what it was when it was drafted it's almost impossible to get 100% accurate opinion to do so.

Bernies answer will not go well with alot of Dems but its the correct answer. How could the company possibly know in that situaion.

That wasn't the question though. It was specifically if manufactures should be held responsible for how individuals use their products.

That wasn't the extent of the bill is my point. It was far more extensive than that. It was the one bill the NRA wanted more than anything. Bernie voted for it. Hillary voted against it.

The guy said he doesn't want to hear about background checks and laws?

So if laws are off the table along with improving background check systems, what else is there?

It sounded to me like he just wanted a straight ban on guns. Which I know would have to be a law but not sure what else he was looking for.

foxtrot3d

Banned
Manufacturers shouldn't be held liable if they don't do anything wrong. If they do something wrong, they should be held responsible. How hard is that to understand?

I was mimicking Bernie right there because it sounds an awful lot with how he attacked Hilary for defending anything Wall St. related. Now, I don't think personally a manufacturer should be held liable for the actions of its crazy customers. HOWEVER, if you really want to curb gun sales then going after the pockets of the manufacturers is one way to ensure that they toughen up gun regulations.

Do you think a manufacturer would be against tougher regulations if they are on the line for any damage caused from their sales?

The problem isn't the content of that answer (IMO), it's the optics.

It's not a good look for Bernie to tell grieving families of murdered schoolchildren that they shouldn't be suing anyone with even a modicum of responsiblity for what happened to their children is.

It makes it sound like he's siding with guns over kids.

It was a tricky question that he should have dodged.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Suggesting Boeing and Wall Street are corrupt in their pursuit of money but gun manufacturers are just trying to make a living isn't a good look.

He seemed to bring up gun stores not the manufacturers. Again the question I asked, should a gun shop be held liable with proper background checks that are followed for someone going crazy and shooting up a place? That's the yes or no about this.

This includes anything from AR's, to pistols, and even hunting rifles.

danm999

Sorry but I can't buy Bernie's laissez faire tone with gun manufacturers given how strongly he comes out against corporate greed with Wall Street and companies like Boeing.

sk3

Banned
Holding manufacturers responsible for the misuse of their legally sold products by criminals is completely ridiculous.

No company would sell any product with those conditions, and it will never happen for guns.

He seemed to bring up gun stores not the manufacturers. Again the question I asked, should a gun shop be held liable with proper background checks that are followed for someone going crazy and shooting up a place? That's the yes or no about this.

This includes anything from AR's, to pistols, and even hunting rifles.

Gruco

Banned
Bernie on supporting the Auto Industry: WALL STREET MUST BE STOPPED

Bernie on supporting US manufacturing: WALL STREET HANDOUTS. CORPORATIONS. BILLIONAIRES.

Bernie on gun manufacturers: Can't a guy try to make a buck?

bounchfx

The people making guns are one of the most powerful political forces in the country and are one of the main reasons why it's so easy to get a gun.

I 100% agree. And thats why we need to get money out of politics and stop their insane influence.

but at the same time, that doesn't mean they're directly responsible for how billy used it that saturday morning because of his fucked up childhood or mental illness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom