• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT| Power was granted, so the world could be mended

Malakhov

Banned
Fecking miners are destroying me in the tunnel city. Think I need to try a different arch stone
Just finished that level, miners were annoying but the boss is a real pain in the ass. He took me 4 tries to finally beat him, worst boss i've encountered so far.

Today i finished 2-2, 3-1, 4-1 and 5-1. I'm calling it a day, I'm totally drained. This game beats the shit out of you emotionally

2AdEPT

Anyone got any tips for killing mantas? I hate those suckers
Yup, in the old days I used ot kill them all with my compound long bow or even sticky (much better range and damage using if you pump a little dex and use spiderstone upgrades.) Now, I kill the first two close ones then put on the theif ring. Zero deaths after theif ring add.
Fecking miners are destroying me in the tunnel city. Think I need to try a different arch stone
No, just get used to them. Any world x.1 is doable from the start of the game with strategy. They are slow but then attack quick so just know you have to take out one at a time. They hide around corners on purpose. If you do magic, soul ray (so ok yeah kill the 3.1 boss first) will go through more than one enemy at a time...in the tunnel of 2.2 you can one shot all the miners on each side in virtually one shot. Otherwise use a spear (or any piercing like rapier and estoc) as was mentioned. You can hide behind a shield and attack at the same time. When I learned that in 2009 the whole game was toast, not just Stonefang. The heater sheild is 100% if you still want one that can parry, or the purple flame is a bash shield that will block any melee and lots of fire (which you will benefit from in this world at the end hint hint.) Purple flame shield dropped all over world one for me (red eye knight and even regualr mobs) and is a treasure item near dragons in 1.1.

Last edited:

Malakhov

Banned
or the purple flame is a bash shield that will block any melee and lots of fire (which you will benefit from in this world at the end hint hint.) Purple flame shield dropped all over world one for me (red eye knight and even regualr mobs) and is a treasure item near dragons in 1.1.
Purple flame shield is insane, I could block the 2-2 boss's attacks with it!

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Yup, in the old days I used ot kill them all with my compound long bow or even sticky (much better range and damage using if you pump a little dex and use spiderstone upgrades.) Now, I kill the first two close ones then put on the theif ring. Zero deaths after theif ring add.

No, just get used to them. Any world x.1 is doable from the start of the game with strategy. They are slow but then attack quick so just know you have to take out one at a time. They hide around corners on purpose. If you do magic, soul ray (so ok yeah kill the 3.1 boss first) will go through more than one enemy at a time...in the tunnel of 2.2 you can one shot all the miners on each side in virtually one shot. Otherwise use a spear (or any piercing like rapier and estoc) as was mentioned. You can hide behind a shield and attack at the same time. When I learned that in 2009 the whole game was toast, not just Stonefang. The heater sheild is 100% if you still want one that can parry, or the purple flame is a bash shield that will block any melee and lots of fire (which you will benefit from in this world at the end hint hint.) Purple flame shield dropped all over world one for me (red eye knight and even regualr mobs) and is a treasure item near dragons in 1.1.

I’ve beat the spider so am on 2-2. I’m using the bastard sword so think that’s why I’m not doing much damage to them but it’s +4 so thought it would. Backstabs get them down a fair bit but apart from that once there is a few of them it’s picking them off by one by one and taking quite a while. I’ll try using a spear. Thanks for the tips everyone. See the section with all the gems to the left and down the tunnel, can you use a pick axe to get any shards or is that just for show!

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Purple flame shield is insane, I could block the 2-2 boss's attacks with it!

That’s what I used throughout my first playthrough. I did get killed by fire lizard that dropped on my head.

I got through NG today. Bravo. I did happen to get Pure Black in 4-2, but I took out the Prime evil and it worked itself out. I tried doing the event and botched it up big time.

Ten_Fold

Just beat fools idol, never played demon’s soul on ps3, even though I brought the game lol, anyways, had to beat her twice cuz I forgot to kill that one guy smh. That boss isn’t tough unless u get caught in the trap an get hit. Also I picked royalty class, so the magic makes things a bit easier.

vpance

Leechmonger was kind of annoying until I stood somewhere safe, and close too.

Ranged auto targetting was dumb as hell though. I’d keep tossing flames into the ground. Had to manual aim.

Leechmonger was kind of annoying until I stood somewhere safe, and close too.

Ranged auto targetting was dumb as hell though. I’d keep tossing flames into the ground. Had to manual aim.

I just crushes through 5-1, 5-2 and 5-3 without dying not even on any of the bosses. I nearly got beaten by the big bee guy until I found a spot I could stand and shoot him to death. Now I’ve tried the final boss of 5 a few tries its obviously a puzzle boss and will take a bit to work out. I think I know what to do just gotta be careful and then it’s on to the dreaded 4.

i am completely obsessed with this game. It is so good I can’t think about anything else I feel really lucky that I’ve had the ability to take these few weeks off to just game to my hearts content. The risk reward factor of losing souls makes this game actually feel rewarding to play rather than with other games where you know you’ll always beat it if you try enough times and you won’t really be disadvantaged if you die. Just that one simple mechanic changes everything. It reminds me of the days when games characters only had a certain number of lives.

all it took for me was the loading times to be gone. I don’t know if I could handle going back to the other games in the series if they’re going to have any kind of lengthy death loading. Anyone know I’d the DS games on pc have decent loading with a good ssd? I’ve got dark souls 3 and so I’ll have to try that I think, maybe sekiro as well. I think I can play these in back compat mode and get some higher frames. Does anyone know how ds3 runs on ps5? I just warched a video on YouTube and it looks like similar gameplay but damn the graphics update is truly mind blowing. This gen is going to be soooo good! I actually feel like I might have a back log for the first time in years!

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

I just crushes through 5-1, 5-2 and 5-3 without dying not even on any of the bosses. I nearly got beaten by the big bee guy until I found a spot I could stand and shoot him to death. Now I’ve tried the final boss of 5 a few tries its obviously a puzzle boss and will take a bit to work out. I think I know what to do just gotta be careful and then it’s on to the dreaded 4.

i am completely obsessed with this game. It is so good I can’t think about anything else I feel really lucky that I’ve had the ability to take these few weeks off to just game to my hearts content. The risk reward factor of losing souls makes this game actually feel rewarding to play rather than with other games where you know you’ll always beat it if you try enough times and you won’t really be disadvantaged if you die. Just that one simple mechanic changes everything. It reminds me of the days when games characters only had a certain number of lives.

all it took for me was the loading times to be gone. I don’t know if I could handle going back to the other games in the series if they’re going to have any kind of lengthy death loading. Anyone know I’d the DS games on pc have decent loading with a good ssd? I’ve got dark souls 3 and so I’ll have to try that I think, maybe sekiro as well. I think I can play these in back compat mode and get some higher frames. Does anyone know how ds3 runs on ps5? I just warched a video on YouTube and it looks like similar gameplay but damn the graphics update is truly mind blowing. This gen is going to be soooo good! I actually feel like I might have a back log for the first time in years!
Puzzle? There is no puzzle there.

RAL1992

Just wanted to say this community has provided so many tips over the past few pages that are so helpful, its my first time playing through demon souls.

Going for a pure magic build and from what I've gathered is the item's i should grab are -
Talisman of beasts
Crescent falchion
Compound bow

Currently running a mana regeneration ring and boletarian royalty armor, also I'm assuming I should stack my souls into intelligence/magic/faith and vitality ?

GymWolf

Gold Member
Amazon finally delivered my copy

tenor.gif

2AdEPT

i am completely obsessed with this game. I actually feel like I might have a back log for the first time in years!
This game was the first to grab me but the others are all worth palying even with load times, that said, I got a PC in 2014 or so and never played any souls games on console until now. Only Bloodborne LOL. I honestly dont notice load times as being negative on PC so I would say ALL the games are worth it in your case.
Just wanted to say this community has provided so many tips over the past few pages that are so helpful, its my first time playing through demon souls.

Going for a pure magic build and from what I've gathered is the item's i should grab are -
Talisman of beasts
Crescent falchion
Compound bow

Currently running a mana regeneration ring and boletarian royalty armor, also I'm assuming I should stack my souls into intelligence/magic/faith and vitality ?
Dont consume any boss souls, save them for spells and weapons. You may want to use a wiki and figure out which boss souls do which miracles or magic, you catually have to choose between what you make for spells. The crescent falchion is good and requires less materials than starting from scratch but the Moon upgrade path give more damage in the long run. That said you will probably end up using a faith weapon in the end, most do.

If you dont mind getting spoiled a bit I could give my recommendations on which spells are my favourite, but lets see which vendors you save from the world first....there is no guarantee you will have access to all of them!!! LOL

I’ve beat the spider so am on 2-2. I’m using the bastard sword so think that’s why I’m not doing much damage to them but it’s +4 so thought it would. Backstabs get them down a fair bit but apart from that once there is a few of them it’s picking them off by one by one and taking quite a while. I’ll try using a spear. Thanks for the tips everyone. See the section with all the gems to the left and down the tunnel, can you use a pick axe to get any shards or is that just for show!
BAstard sword goes to plus 10 doesnt it? So +4 isnt that great honestly. If you like the bastard, I know lots who do the whole game with it, but if you wnat to try a few different strenght wepons dont bother upgrading it too much more until you make it throught he level....if you get pure white tendency in world 2 there is a shiny prize at the end for strength characters!

Last edited:

Antelope

I finally got the Sword of Moonlight and I rolled 4-1 with it. I did a double take when I saw that ugly ass boss was the same as the picture on my shield. Anyway, after a million arrows I finally took him down.

I warped back to the Nexus and saw a new NPC. I welcomed Patches, bought some beefier arrows, and then I realized I had never been to the arch stone behind him.

Finding out you have a whole new world to experience is like Christmas in July.

Sinthor

Gold Member

Talisman of beasts
Crescent falchion
Compound bow

PURE magic build, you don't get talisman of beasts. It is stronger when your faith and magic levels are equal. If you're just leveling magic and no faith, stick with a crescent weapon and the silver catalyst and coronet or the insanity catalyst.

I like the talisman of beasts route myself because it starts outdoing the insanity catalyst at 30/30 magic and faith. Besides, large sword of moonlight is FAITH based in this game and I have a thing for the moonlight swords. :messenger_winking_tongue: But otherwise stick with just magic stat and pump your INT and MAG while using crescent or moon weapons (different from large sword of moonlight) Also, for a pure magic build if you're going to use a bow, I recommend long bow. Upgrade it to +7. It will do decent damage till you get past flame lurker and then turn it into the lava bow with 14 strength and 16 dex and it hits HARD.

Last edited:

wOs

Can someone tell me how to make the sword of searching? I have the soul and a +8 scimitar. When I go to have it made I only srr
+9 scimitar

wOs

Oh, my bad. For some reason, I read that as your scimitar being +9. If you have the Hero Demon's Soul, you should be able to do it at Blacksmith Ed.
Do I have to do anything special with the soul? I'm just going to him and asking for upgrades. This is not the blacksmith at the nexus.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
had a rough time yesterday, watched my Pure White World Tendency game fall apart. im trying to get the Friend Ring from the Monumental Pain In the Ass and it's just hell trying to get every world to WT.

i had it on all world except world 4. i finally got it on world 4 and did the events, found the sword, then ran into the new NPC at the start. he tried to fight me and i killed him. FUCK! WT goes back down.

i figure, oh well, i'll go do the events on 1-1. go through the new door, fight the spawning red dreglings, run into an aggro NPC who tries to kill me. i took her out. FUCK! WT went down.

so now i have world 1 and world 4 at about neutral again and im at the last boss. i got to King Doran but discovered killing him lowers your WT even more, so i put that off for next go round.

i hear that WT carries on to NG+, in which case hopefully i can just beat 1-1/1-2 again to get world 1 back to PW then do the same for 4-1/4-2, then get the Friend's Ring ASAP. does that sound do-able?

Do enemies give the same amount of souls no matter what level you are, or do they give less as you level up?
Enemies give the same amount of souls per enemy, but note that the same enemy in a different zone might give a different number.

Do I have to do anything special with the soul? I'm just going to him and asking for upgrades. This is not the blacksmith at the nexus.
Did you give him the Searing Soul? Until you do so special soul upgrades will not work. You must have defeated 2-2 in order to do so.

had a rough time yesterday, watched my Pure White World Tendency game fall apart. im trying to get the Friend Ring from the Monumental Pain In the Ass and it's just hell trying to get every world to WT.
I don't think WT has anything to do with the Friend's Ring, I think it's based on your character tendency being pure white which is a related but different thing.

i had it on all world except world 4. i finally got it on world 4 and did the events, found the sword, then ran into the new NPC at the start. he tried to fight me and i killed him. FUCK! WT goes back down.

i figure, oh well, i'll go do the events on 1-1. go through the new door, fight the spawning red dreglings, run into an aggro NPC who tries to kill me. i took her out. FUCK! WT went down.

so now i have world 1 and world 4 at about neutral again and im at the last boss. i got to King Doran but discovered killing him lowers your WT even more, so i put that off for next go round.

i hear that WT carries on to NG+, in which case hopefully i can just beat 1-1/1-2 again to get world 1 back to PW then do the same for 4-1/4-2, then get the Friend's Ring ASAP. does that sound do-able?

You need white character tendency. http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/character-tendency

If you've already given him the searing soul from flamelurker, the option should be there.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
so is this something i can get by doing invasions? i looked at the page and it says

"Killing invading or named Black Phantoms moves your character towards White."

how exactly do i do this? i don't invade or use online at all. do i need to just use a Stone of Ephemeral eyes and start lingering about in those worlds waiting for invaders? or is there a better way to get WCT?

or can i get white character tendency by plunging all my worlds to pure black and killing the black phantoms?

honestly very confused about what to do to get Friend's Ring.

Last edited:

Sinthor

Gold Member
Sorry.l, What do you mean? It is a scimitar +8?
If you have the hero's soul, only Ed the blacksmith in 2-1 can upgrade you to this weapon. Also, you have to have given him flamelurker's soul to unlock upgrades for special effects like strength, magic, faith, or make boss weapons like the large sword of searching.

so is this something i can get by doing invasions? i looked at the page and it says

"Killing invading or named Black Phantoms moves your character towards White."

how exactly do i do this? i don't invade or use online at all. do i need to just use a Stone of Ephemeral eyes and start lingering about in those worlds waiting for invaders? or is there a better way to get WCT?
The easiest way to get to pure white character tendency is unfortunately the opposite of what you've been doing. Get a world to pure black and a bunch of named black phantoms will show up around the world. Killing them gives + character tendency.

regawdless

Banned
I really don't want to buy a PS5 yet, but fuck me do I want to play this game.
I loved OG Demon's Souls, Dark Souls is my GOAT, DS2.... Meh, but 3 was good and Bloodborne was amazing. (Didn't like Sekiro though).
Seeing how good this looks makes me thirsty for some classic souls.

Have to stop looking at videos of this game.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
The easiest way to get to pure white character tendency is unfortunately the opposite of what you've been doing. Get a world to pure black and a bunch of named black phantoms will show up around the world. Killing them gives + character tendency.
thanks so much! guess this is what i'll do. i've done all the WT events anyways, so all those rings/etc are mine!

Sinthor

Gold Member
how do you give him a soul?
You have to talk to him while you have the flame lurker or other souls on you. Sometimes you have to leave conversation and start it again a few times, but eventually he'll ask you for the flame lurker soul to make upgrades. After that, those upgrade and boss weapon options will show in his upgrade menu. Oddly, you don't have to have the upgrade materials (shards, chunks, etc.) on you to upgrade weapons, but you MUST have any boss souls in your inventory when you talk to him if you want the boss weapon upgrades.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Getting the secret armour behind the previously perma-locked hidden door is an insane ordeal, I don't know who has the time for this shit

sounds like you can get all the coins in ~2 playthroughs if you know where they are. there are plenty of videos showing all locations.

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
sounds like you can get all the coins in 2 playthroughs if you know where they are. there are plenty of videos showing all locations.

Still, getting them sounds ridiculous, you have to get to pure White and Black tendencies for each world it just sounds like such a grind for an item you clearly don't need at that point.

I'm glad it's there for those that want to seek it out though. That guy's YT channel is fucking legit, he has a good voice for narration and just produces some stellar analysis videos.

Last edited:

Salmon

I warped back to the Nexus and saw a new NPC. I welcomed Patches, bought some beefier arrows, and then I realized I had never been to the arch stone behind him.
Wait what? A hidden arch stone? They're all lined up in an arch. I killed him, so he´s not available in the Nexus.

Man, fuck Latria. I shouldn't have opened all the cell doors as a passed them. Now I have to worry about demented freaks surprise shanking me as I make my way through it. Other people's ghost always running past freaking me out too.

Wait what? A hidden arch stone? They're all lined up in an arch. I killed him, so he´s not available in the Nexus.
Pretty sure he's just referring to Latria, he just didn't notice it until Patches showed up right in front of it.

Killing Patches is understandable, but his prices on goods are so nice that I would rather keep him around as a merchant than enjoy the brief pleasure of the kill.

Antelope

Hidden from me, because I didn’t look for it. 😜 It’s in plain sight for anyone who actually looks around.

I walked up either side of the ramp, but never to the top. I keep crossing over the beam in the mid to see Ostrava had new dialog. Then I would run to an arch stone and go on my way.

RAL1992

PURE magic build, you don't get talisman of beasts. It is stronger when your faith and magic levels are equal. If you're just leveling magic and no faith, stick with a crescent weapon and the silver catalyst and coronet or the insanity catalyst.

I like the talisman of beasts route myself because it starts outdoing the insanity catalyst at 30/30 magic and faith. Besides, large sword of moonlight is FAITH based in this game and I have a thing for the moonlight swords. :messenger_winking_tongue: But otherwise stick with just magic stat and pump your INT and MAG while using crescent or moon weapons (different from large sword of moonlight) Also, for a pure magic build if you're going to use a bow, I recommend long bow. Upgrade it to +7. It will do decent damage till you get past flame lurker and then turn it into the lava bow with 14 strength and 16 dex and it hits HARD.

Cheers for the info pal, I'll try and run the setup you said initially, is the kris blade worth getting aswell or just focus on the crescent ? (I would go for the moonlight sword but I heard that world 5 is a bit of a nightmare)

Thats if I can handle this game anyway 🤣 completed bloodborne but did dupe a bit to help out at first 🙃 hopefully the slower pace offsets the difficulty in comparison.

Top Bottom