• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT| Power was granted, so the world could be mended

GHG

I believe they can but it varies by weapon. Certain 'named' weapons cannot be enchanted while others can.

I'll just give it a go then... I have the guillotine axe and want to make it into a bit of a beast. I already have the meat cleaver which is enchantable (which one shots pretty much everything) but I love the moveset of the guillotine axe so if I can make it strong then I'll be happy.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I'll just give it a go then... I have the guillotine axe and want to make it into a bit of a beast. I already have the meat cleaver which is enchantable (which one shots pretty much everything) but I love the moveset of the guillotine axe so if I can make it strong then I'll be happy.
i wasted a lot of time testing this out the other day. anything that already has magic or poison scaling cannot be enchanted with a spell or pine resin.

Reactions: GHG

GHG

i wasted a lot of time testing this out the other day. anything that already has magic or poison scaling cannot be enchanted with a spell or pine resin.

Yep that seems to be the case however the meat cleaver can be enchanted despite having magic scaling. Once you add light weapon at it becomes ridiculously OP.

SlimySnake

I just crushes through 5-1, 5-2 and 5-3 without dying not even on any of the bosses. I nearly got beaten by the big bee guy until I found a spot I could stand and shoot him to death. Now I’ve tried the final boss of 5 a few tries its obviously a puzzle boss and will take a bit to work out. I think I know what to do just gotta be careful and then it’s on to the dreaded 4.

i am completely obsessed with this game. It is so good I can’t think about anything else I feel really lucky that I’ve had the ability to take these few weeks off to just game to my hearts content. The risk reward factor of losing souls makes this game actually feel rewarding to play rather than with other games where you know you’ll always beat it if you try enough times and you won’t really be disadvantaged if you die. Just that one simple mechanic changes everything. It reminds me of the days when games characters only had a certain number of lives.

all it took for me was the loading times to be gone. I don’t know if I could handle going back to the other games in the series if they’re going to have any kind of lengthy death loading. Anyone know I’d the DS games on pc have decent loading with a good ssd? I’ve got dark souls 3 and so I’ll have to try that I think, maybe sekiro as well. I think I can play these in back compat mode and get some higher frames. Does anyone know how ds3 runs on ps5? I just warched a video on YouTube and it looks like similar gameplay but damn the graphics update is truly mind blowing. This gen is going to be soooo good! I actually feel like I might have a back log for the first time in years!
ds3 runs at 60 fps and 1080p on the ps5. but if you have a pc with a good ssd, i would just buy the pc version instead.

sekiro does away with boss runs and has a bonfire next to every boss fight. im pretty sure the loading is instantanous on pc because its not really loading anything.

that said, sekiro has the hardest boss of any game ever so expect to die like 50 times at every boss. at least until the combat clicks.

SlimySnake

Yep that seems to be the case however the meat cleaver can be enchanted despite having magic scaling. Once you add light weapon at it becomes ridiculously OP.
awesome. i will try it out. been using northern regalia in ng+ since it effectively doubles its stats if your character is pure white. but struggling in 4-2 against those two skeletons with cleavers of their own. the game is brutal on ng+, bosses pretty much one shot you and your shields are effectively useless against larger weapons.

SlimySnake

My friend recommended after I finish 1-1 to go get Falchion from 4-1 before going back to 1-2. To my surprise as soon as I entered 4-1 there's a skeleton barrel rolling at me
lol i remember trying to do that 10-11 years ago. my friend told me the same thing. after dying to the first two skeletons i called it quits and didnt play it until this remake came out.

to my surprise, it's super easy to just go behind these guys and do a backstab. kill four of them and you can easily collect the falchion thats sitting on the hill to your left. its an amazing weapon that will make everything in the game a breeze as long as you keep leveling it up. only the 1-4 boss will require you to bring a different more powerful weapon.

once you get the falchion, go and do 2-1 and 2-2. the miners are weak to the magic in the cresent falchion. in 2-2, you will find a dragon sword which lights everyone on fire. another weapon that took me all the way till the end of the game.

if i have an issue with this game, it's that regular weapons arent as good as these two weapons. oh and do not consume any boss souls and take the 2-2 boss soul to the blacksmith and he will let you make boss soul weapons. they are pretty much the only way you are beating the final boss. (1-4)

Antelope

How is the Guillotine axe? I’m trying to decide what weapon I should bless, as a complement/ eventual replacement to the Sword of Moonlight. Currently looking at the Mirdan Hammer or the Guillotine Axe (mostly because it looks savage).

RAL1992

lol i remember trying to do that 10-11 years ago. my friend told me the same thing. after dying to the first two skeletons i called it quits and didnt play it until this remake came out.

to my surprise, it's super easy to just go behind these guys and do a backstab. kill four of them and you can easily collect the falchion thats sitting on the hill to your left. its an amazing weapon that will make everything in the game a breeze as long as you keep leveling it up. only the 1-4 boss will require you to bring a different more powerful weapon.

once you get the falchion, go and do 2-1 and 2-2. the miners are weak to the magic in the cresent falchion. in 2-2, you will find a dragon sword which lights everyone on fire. another weapon that took me all the way till the end of the game.

if i have an issue with this game, it's that regular weapons arent as good as these two weapons. oh and do not consume any boss souls and take the 2-2 boss soul to the blacksmith and he will let you make boss soul weapons. they are pretty much the only way you are beating the final boss. (1-4)

As a complete noob myself, looking at that am I not supposed to be clearing world by world? But supposed to be going 1.1/2.1/3.1 etc, might have to find a guide to show the best path for a newcomer

RAL1992

My friend recommended after I finish 1-1 to go get Falchion from 4-1 before going back to 1-2. To my surprise as soon as I entered 4-1 there's a skeleton barrel rolling at me
Looked online and apparently this is the best path for new players like us, if anybody has any changes or advice to add please do.... umbasa
QUdArUd.jpg

Giles

Not sure if it was the game update or console update but since around then this game stays on the loading splash screen and needs rebooted before it’ll work more often than not. 🙃

GymWolf

Gold Member
As a complete noob myself, looking at that am I not supposed to be clearing world by world? But supposed to be going 1.1/2.1/3.1 etc, might have to find a guide to show the best path for a newcomer
the best path is discovering the game by yourself.

you kill the pleasure of the exploration by knowing what to search and where to search.

if an area seems to difficult then switch to another one.

wOs

You have to talk to him while you have the flame lurker or other souls on you. Sometimes you have to leave conversation and start it again a few times, but eventually he'll ask you for the flame lurker soul to make upgrades. After that, those upgrade and boss weapon options will show in his upgrade menu. Oddly, you don't have to have the upgrade materials (shards, chunks, etc.) on you to upgrade weapons, but you MUST have any boss souls in your inventory when you talk to him if you want the boss weapon upgrades.

thanks :) I never took the flamelurker soul when I went. Once I took that it worked.

SlimySnake

Definitely not. 1-3 is basically end game and 1-4 is the final boss. Keep him for last.

i would say 5 and 2 are the easiest so do them after 1-1 Or 1-2 if you feel you can do that boss and after getting your cresent falchion. Then try 3-1 or 4-1 and see how you are doing.

A lot of people struggle with the 3-2 boss so if you get stuck just go do another world. I had no issues with 3-2 because i was around level 50'

Malakhov

Banned
Ok, I'm curious, because I'd think the crushing axe should be better by then. Can you list all your stats please? Also, not sure where you've been. In world 2, if you get white world tendency, you can get THE strength weapon of the game. Big and slow, but it really hits.
I just got that weapon
Dragon bone smasher
but it's slow as hell, do I need to level up for it to be effective? Seems horrible so far

Last edited:

SlimySnake

I just got that weapon
Dragon bone smasker
but it's slow as hell, do I need to level up for it to be effective? Seems horrible so far
Read the description on it. It negates fire damage. It's mostly for PvP and ng+. Stats aren't everything for these boss soul weapons.

Portugeezer

Who is the dude in Boletaria Castle thingy? With the Knight outside? I went there, after getting to 4-2, beasting the game, upgraded weapons and tank armour... Do like 5 to 10 dmg per hit... WTF...

JimiNutz

Banned
I dunno how it's happened but I seen to have pure black tendancy on 4-1 .There's now a red glowing skeleton at the beginning of the level that is defeatable for me but annoying!

How do I get rid of this shit.
I know I need to defeat a boss to return to my body form and I think that clears it?

What about if I use one of my Stone of Ephemeral Eyes - will that restore me to my body form and get rid of this black tendancy in 4-1?

SlimySnake

As a demon souls noob, I'm going to list my experience with the game and hopefully help other noobs. I'm by no means a souls noob and after crushing sekiro and nioh, i was feeling pretty confident going in.

But the game kicked my ass anyway. Bosses are piss easy but that lack of shortcuts really hurts. It's a quality of life change that was made in other souls games and it's extremely disappointing that these guys didn't bring them over. Same thing with the estus flasks resetting after every death. There is a reason why this was introduced way back in ds1. The grind for herbs really sucked early on.

Thankfully, 1-3 has enemies that drop full moon herbs like candy but that is arguably the hardest level in the game and only unlocks after you beat the 2-3 boss.

I would not recommend doing that level until after beating most other worlds. Use it for herb farming only and prepare to lose a lot of souls.

I thought the game had way too many gimmick bosses but for the first game in the series it makes sense. I think the boss runs are the worst thing about the game and they really really needed to add shortcuts in the remake. A remake is supposed to do more than just copy and paste the game logic while updating visuals. The game would've been far better if they had brought over all the quality of life changes from sekiro and the latter souls games.

Killing dragons was painful even with poison arrows and i have no idea why they weren't turned into actual bosses. For dragons, i would recommend posion arrows with an upgraded bow and magic with rings and weapons that increase your dps. Killij gives extra magic damage so have it equipped in the other hand.

Do not die when in human form. Just kill yourself in nexus and it won't hurt your world tendency. Some of the end game weapons increase dps based on how close you are to pure white and being pure white makes enemies do less damage as well. Whatever you do, don't face bosses with black tendency.

Do not invest in luck, intelligence or magic if you are a melee build. I did this and i was
struggling in the end game because nothing i had was doing good damage up the final boss.

Overall, the game is clearly a classic but feels dated at the same time. No plunging attack really limits your options and having fat rolling at 50% instead of 70% limits you to two rings that you will have to keep equipped at all times. Cling ring mechanic should've been removed period. The dumb black and white tendency should've been removed. This is the best looking game of all time but it looks like shit when you have a character glowing all the time ruining all the graphics. It looks stunning with your armor on.

I think it's still a great game but a bad remake for this reason.

SlimySnake

I dunno how it's happened but I seen to have pure black tendancy on 4-1 .There's now a red glowing skeleton at the beginning of the level that is defeatable for me but annoying!

How do I get rid of this shit.
I know I need to defeat a boss to return to my body form and I think that clears it?

What about if I use one of my Stone of Ephemeral Eyes - will that restore me to my body form and get rid of this black tendancy in 4-1?
Kill that red guy then go kill the primedevil in 4-3. Look it up. You cannot warp using the bonfires so make sure to run to the primedevil.

If you kill it, you will be very close to white tendency. Defeat a boss and you will be pure white. Make sure to never play the game on human form. Kill yourself in nexus as it doesn't affect world tendency.

JimiNutz

Banned
Kill that red guy then go kill the primedevil in 4-3. Look it up. You cannot warp using the bonfires so make sure to run to the primedevil.

If you kill it, you will be very close to white tendency. Defeat a boss and you will be pure white. Make sure to never play the game on human form. Kill yourself in nexus as it doesn't affect world tendency.

So if I beat a boss it will go back to white. Will the boss be harder if the world is in black tendancy?

Last edited:

SlimySnake

So if I beat a boss it will go back to white. Will be boss be harder if the world is in black tendancy?
No. Killing a boss gives you +1 tendency. At pure black, you are at-4 so you will only be at -3. It will get rid of the red npc but won't get you to white or even neutral which is 0.

If you kill the red npc and go kill that prime devil (easy kill) then it will go from -4 to +3 then you can kill a boss in soul form and get to +4 which is pure white.

Look up the location of prime devil in each world. Remember you cannot fast travel after killing the red npc. You have to walk there.

So if I beat a boss it will go back to white. Will the boss be harder if the world is in black tendancy?
Yeah, dying while in human form makes the world more difficult. It'd be nice if they put that in the game somehow. Have it part of the Monumental speech about how the nexus works or something.

Okamiden

Do you guys have Latria sound bug when entering prison cells? Or you can't even hear what Sage Freek telling you when he sits in his cell?

Malakhov

Banned
Do not invest in luck, intelligence or magic if you are a melee build. I did this and i was
struggling in the end game because nothing i had was doing good damage up the final boss.
As a melee build having 10 magic and 18 int is a very good thing for cursed weapons, 50% bonus physical damage. Having 16 faith is great as well for second chance, evacuation and plague/poison cure.

Last edited:

Sinthor

Gold Member
Cheers for the info pal, I'll try and run the setup you said initially, is the kris blade worth getting aswell or just focus on the crescent ? (I would go for the moonlight sword but I heard that world 5 is a bit of a nightmare)

Thats if I can handle this game anyway 🤣 completed bloodborne but did dupe a bit to help out at first 🙃 hopefully the slower pace offsets the difficulty in comparison.

Well, you have to go thru 5 anyway, 5-2 specifically...so you'll get it unless you avoid it (Moonlight sword). I usually sneak thru low level with antidotes and cloak/thief ring to get it.

Kris is worth getting (in 2-1 and right on the way anyway). You hold it in your offhand while using a catalyst and it boosts your spells power.

Sinthor

Gold Member
Man, I'm so irritated with Latria. I wish there was a place to put your sign so you could HELP people. I don't WANT to get summoned as the Old Monk boss anymore and don't want my character tendency dark, so it's useless. Trying to get the world to white by helping people but all I get summoned by is the Old Monk and once in a GREAT while someone actually summons me and inevitably doesn't pay attention to my warnings and falls into one of the holes and dies...then I'm old Monk again for another half hour. Argh!

Ar¢tos

Don't give up, when you learn the enemy patterns it is easy to kill the skeletons at low level with soul Arrows.
I do 1-1, then get the Falchion from 4-1, then the Wooden Catalyst and Ring of Magic Sharpness from 3-1 (thief ring helps a lot here) and then the Kris Blade to use off-hand from 2-1, and the game becomes easy mode.
I just finished all worlds except 1-3 and 1-4, and I'm under lvl 60. Magic is OP!

Sinthor

Gold Member
Well, not actually as soon as you enter, but very shortly. He's by the first archway...watch out for him. You will have to fight your way thru a few of those guys to get to the Falchion. Just DODGE and DO NOT FIGHT the black skeleton by the Falchion. Not unless you're very confident. You just dodge him, run and grab the Falchion. Then whatever..

SlimySnake

Man, I'm so irritated with Latria. I wish there was a place to put your sign so you could HELP people. I don't WANT to get summoned as the Old Monk boss anymore and don't want my character tendency dark, so it's useless. Trying to get the world to white by helping people but all I get summoned by is the Old Monk and once in a GREAT while someone actually summons me and inevitably doesn't pay attention to my warnings and falls into one of the holes and dies...then I'm old Monk again for another half hour. Argh!
Add me as friend and i will invade you as a black phantom. I don't think helping people coop does anything. You have to kill black phantoms.

Sinthor

Gold Member
Add me as friend and i will invade you as a black phantom. I don't think helping people coop does anything. You have to kill black phantoms.
Cool, will do that in a bit. Helping people recover their "body" or bloodstain, killing invading or named black phantoms moves the needle mostly. Helping them kill the boss does too, or at least in the other worlds it's been working. I just can't get Latria to turn white for ANYTHING. It's staying on the lighter side, but won't go pure white for some reason.

Would appreciate the sacrifice of letting me kill you when you invade! Thanks, man! Doing this for colorless demon's souls.

Edit- Hmmm...a few there. Hopefully I added the right one! I didn't know invasions would work with the password feature. Kinda cool though!

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Cool, will do that in a bit. Helping people recover their "body" or bloodstain, killing invading or named black phantoms moves the needle mostly. Helping them kill the boss does too, or at least in the other worlds it's been working. I just can't get Latria to turn white for ANYTHING. It's staying on the lighter side, but won't go pure white for some reason.

Would appreciate the sacrifice of letting me kill you when you invade! Thanks, man! Doing this for colorless demon's souls.
Cool. I'm at my parents for Thanksgiving but i should be home tonight. Im on ng+ so hopefully it lets us connect.

My psn is: thenegativedude

We can setup a password so only i can invade you.i helped my friend turn pure white last week in 3-1 and he was way higher than my level so hopefully it works.

Malakhov

Banned
So what's the best way to do a coop run? I'd like to try this tonight. I guess it's rush 1-1 then put out a sign, kill yourself in nexus after the other joined and then play on?

Sinthor

Gold Member
Cool. I'm at my parents for Thanksgiving but i should be home tonight. Im on ng+ so hopefully it lets us connect.

My psn is: thenegativedude

We can setup a password so only i can invade you.i helped my friend turn pure white last week in 3-1 and he was way higher than my level so hopefully it works.
Ah, ok. Appreciate it. Sweet. I've added you now...whoever "SlimySnake" on PSN is will be puzzled by my invite. :) My PSN is - Sinthor-556 so you'll know it's me.

Yeah, I think the password thing just scales you like it did in DS 3. You can be level 300 and me 20 and it would still work.

Thanks again!

SlimySnake

As a melee build having 10 magic and 18 int is a very good thing for cursed weapons, 50% bonus physical damage. Having 16 faith is great as well for second chance, evacuation and plague/poison cure.
I had 21 magic and 20 int but there seems to be a limit for magic weapon damage. It was almost doubling the damage on my weapons so i went ahead and upgraded my knight sword and uchitanga to +6 but the damage seems to be capped. I was doing 159 damage to those archers in 1-4 at +0 and then the same at +6 with the magic weapon spells. It made no sense.

I had 21 magic and 20 int but there seems to be a limit for magic weapon damage. It was almost doubling the damage on my weapons so i went ahead and upgraded my knight sword and uchitanga to +6 but the damage seems to be capped. I was doing 159 damage to those archers in 1-4 at +0 and then the same at +6 with the magic weapon spells. It made no sense.
The base weapon damage won't change as you level stats associated with them. If you hit the Square button to go in for more detail you'll see a "bonus" column. That's where the damage from your stats shows up.

So like with 43 Magic on the character I'm playing right now, the Crescent Falchion +5 does 112 Physical, 119 Magical, and +115 bonus damage from my Magic stat.

SlimySnake

The base weapon damage won't change as you level stats associated with them. If you hit the Square button to go in for more detail you'll see a "bonus" column. That's where the damage from your stats shows up.

So like with 43 Magic on the character I'm playing right now, the Crescent Falchion +5 does 112 Physical, 119 Magical, and +115 bonus damage from my Magic stat.
Right. I was talking about the magic spell that turns your weapon blue and applies extra damage. I was doing 72 damage before applying the spell and 159 after. And that was with the weapon at +0. I went and upgraded it to +6 and my base damage went up to 95 or something. After applying the magic spell, it was still 159. It's almost like it is broken or capped.

Ogbert

Gold Member
Just managed to beat Black Phantom Satsuki. Reckon I died to him nearly 100 times in total.

Got to be honest, it was bullshit fight. Ended up having to level my sword to plus 7 and endurance to make sure I had enough to stun lock him. His healing is fucking stupid.

Still loving the game, but that saga felt wholly pointless.

Malakhov

Banned
I don't know for other enchants but for cursed it's 50% and that's it. It's good to have a broken talisman as well so you will get drained only 1hp/second instead of %

Con_Z_ǝdʇ

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
I'm trying to obtain the Ally's Ring.

I have killed all 5 named black phantoms but i also killed the NPC Scirvir.

Seems like i'm missing one more point towards white charater tendency.

What to do now?

When I get summoned to help a player beat a boss it does not count towards character tendency.

I have just the last boss left.

Odinnii

Everybody recommends the crescent falchion from 4-1 but I found the dragon longsword from 2-2 far more useful. Once upgraded, it pretty much destroyed everything in the 4th and 5th Archstones.

Jooxed

Gold Member
What the heck whenever I zone into the place I’m working on a red person is waiting there to kill me now. How do I get rid of them

Vtecomega

Banned
Honestly fuck this game in new game plus. Those miners in 2-1 are absolutely cheap and frustrating bullshit. This game is not tuned well for New game plus compared to other From games. I don't remember the original being this cheap.

It's basically one hit kill and zero room for error.

Top Bottom