• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT| Power was granted, so the world could be mended

Right. I was talking about the magic spell that turns your weapon blue and applies extra damage. I was doing 72 damage before applying the spell and 159 after. And that was with the weapon at +0. I went and upgraded it to +6 and my base damage went up to 95 or something. After applying the magic spell, it was still 159. It's almost like it is broken or capped.
Oh, sorry, I misunderstood what you were saying.

Maybe it's actually replacing all physical damage with magical damage, so upgrading the base weapon wouldn't do anything?

Sinthor

Gold Member
Everybody recommends the crescent falchion from 4-1 but I found the dragon longsword from 2-2 far more useful. Once upgraded, it pretty much destroyed everything in the 4th and 5th Archstones.
Well, the Falchion is recommended for those with any magic stats, really. If you're completely avoiding magic and frankly just in general, the dragon longsword ROCKS. The difference is as well that it's much more involved and a much riskier journey for a super low level character, to get the dragon longsword. The Falchion on the other hand, is pretty much right at the beginning of the level in 4-1 and just a quicker, easier grab.

Beat all of worlds 1-4 on NG++. NG+ vs. NG is a big difference, as far as I can tell NG++ vs. NG+ is a trivial difference. I haven't even really noticed enemies taking more hits or doing more damage than NG+ was.

Now to convince myself it's worth going through World 5 again. I hate it so much.

Sinthor

Gold Member
Looked online and apparently this is the best path for new players like us, if anybody has any changes or advice to add please do.... umbasa
QUdArUd.jpg
Here's a site where you can look up all the weapons, what the boss souls are good for, etc.

Jooxed

Gold Member
What the heck whenever I zone into the place I’m working on a red person is waiting there to kill me now. How do I get rid of them

in reading online it’s because I accidentally died with a body? And I have to defeat him? I do 0 damage to him and he one shots me :(

Ogbert

Gold Member
in reading online it’s because I accidentally died with a body? And I have to defeat him? I do 0 damage to him and he one shots me :(

World 4-1?

If so, it’s Black Phantom Satsuki and he’s killed me more than any other npc in any Souls game.

Ignore him for now. Go elsewhere. Level up. Apparently he’s easier to kill with magic.

Jooxed

Gold Member
World 4-1?

If so, it’s Black Phantom Satsuki and he’s killed me more than any other npc in any Souls game.

Ignore him for now. Go elsewhere. Level up. Apparently he’s easier to kill with magic.

crap I wanted that sword.. thanks for the answer.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Honestly fuck this game in new game plus. Those miners in 2-1 are absolutely cheap and frustrating bullshit. This game is not tuned well for New game plus compared to other From games. I don't remember the original being this cheap.

It's basically one hit kill and zero room for error.
its not just the miners. its literally every boss fight. i was getting one shotted by bosses despite having the right armor for the fight. its totally broken.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Anyone else got the platinum yet? I got it and I feel like doing another playthrough just cause.

Yep. I've beaten the game 5 times now. Got as far as New Game +3 with my first character.

World 4-1?

Black Phantom Selen Vinland would eat his lunch.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I just beat Black Phantom Satsuki. The meat cleaver makes the fight easy. I didn’t even give him the chance to heal his health.

Grinchy

Banned
Flamelurker down! I was dreading the fight after my first early attempt had me doing like 25 damage per hit while taking 3/4 of my health bar in damage every time his fire burst attack barely scraped me.

But after some leveling and coming back, I figured out his patterns and slashed him to death with a dagger, no problem.

Malakhov

Banned
I spit on inner ward with disgust, fuck I hated that level. Died like 5 times before finally doing the whole level and boss without dying, stupid stupid level.

Grinchy

Banned
Man they aren't messing around with the bladestone farming. Not even the pure one. I've been trying to get just a single chunk from black and gold skeletons and I've gotten almost 40 shards without a single chunk.

Malakhov

Banned
Does Rydell servez any purpose? Does he teach something in the nexus? Or the only thing is that ring and phosphorescent drops? Don't really want to bother with him, I hated 3-1

Chiggs

Gold Member
Does Rydell servez any purpose? Does he teach something in the nexus? Or the only thing is that ring and phosphorescent drops? Don't really want to bother with him, I hated 3-1

If you want pure white character tendency, and you’re not playing online, his black phantom is necessary. Other than that, whoopty do.

Last edited:

Vtecomega

Banned
Hi guys

I have made a filter what in my opinion makes the game look far superior. I have basically altered blooming and made the blacks more black while still keeping detail in dark areas. Specular highlights and HDR bloom looks a lot better now. No more washed out blacks that plagued the original filter.

It gives it a visual style that is similar to Lord of the rings or The Hobbit. Let me know what you guys think.

go into photo mode and adjust the following

- BLOOM -
Threshold - 0.01
Strength - 0.64
Falloff - 0.31
Saturation - 1.08
Lens Debris - 1.10

- COLOUR -
Red - 1.20
Green - 0.86
Blue - 0.92

- PICTURE -
Exposure - 1.50

- VIGNETTE -
Size - 0.00

- FILTER INTENSITY -

40% - This is very important.

Make sure you enable persist in game.

Last edited:

Malakhov

Banned
Hi guys

I have made a filter what in my opinion makes the game look far superior. I have basically altered blooming and made the blacks more black while still keeping detail in dark areas. Specular highlights and HDR bloom looks a lot better now. No more washed out blacks that plagued the original filter.

It gives it a visual style that is similar to Lord of the rings or The Hobbit. Let me know what you guys think.

go into photo mode and adjust the following

- BLOOM -
Threshold - 0.01
Strength - 0.64
Falloff - 0.31
Saturation - 1.08
Lens Debris - 1.10

- COLOUR -
Red - 1.20
Green - 0.86
Blue - 0.92

- PICTURE -
Exposure - 1.50

- VIGNETTE -
Size - 0.00

- FILTER INTENSITY -

40% - This is very important.

Make sure you enable persist in game.
You can tweak visual settings and have them work in game after? Wow I didn't know that

Yooo, so I am running into a peculiar issue with the game. Demon's Souls refuses to boot from the PS5's UI. All other games boot just fine, but Demon's souls Remake wouldn't go past the box art splash screen. It's stuck there forever. What should I do?

Malakhov

Banned
Yooo, so I am running into a peculiar issue with the game. Demon's Souls refuses to boot from the PS5's UI. All other games boot just fine, but Demon's souls Remake wouldn't go past the box art splash screen. It's stuck there forever. What should I do?
Happened to me when I first installed the game, a ps5 restart fixed it

Ar¢tos

Restarting the console usually fixes it for me. Not that it happens very often.

Restarting the console usually fixes it for me. Not that it happens very often.

It never happened until yesterday. Panicked immediately. Also this never happened before the new firmware update nor the Demon's Souls game patch which came out. Could those be causing an issue here?

Bartski

Gold Member
so is this something i can get by doing invasions? i looked at the page and it says

"Killing invading or named Black Phantoms moves your character towards White."

how exactly do i do this? i don't invade or use online at all. do i need to just use a Stone of Ephemeral eyes and start lingering about in those worlds waiting for invaders? or is there a better way to get WCT?

or can i get white character tendency by plunging all my worlds to pure black and killing the black phantoms?

honestly very confused about what to do to get Friend's Ring.

The only way to infinitely change both your character and world tendency in a single playthrough towards white or black is through PvP.

Killing a human invader boosts both your character AND the world it happens towards white. That's 6-7 kills from pure black to pure white.

You eventually run out of resurrect stones, so the loop here is:

1. get summoned as a blue phantom and resurrected by another player, by either killing a boss or them using a resurrect miracle
2. in the human form get invaded by another player and win the fight.

That would be a lot of fun if it wasn't for IMO the biggest problem with the game - for some reason, it feels very hard to get connected, summoned or invaded. I think this is why so many payers are cheating to meet and trade kills, it's not about failing fights as much as about the downtime, all the waiting between joining games for PvP/PvE.

Sinthor

Gold Member
I been down to the lava pit so many times in hope for a dragonstone chunk.

It's a long road for nothing.

There are multiple chunks and a pure dragonstone as well IN the lava pool where the flying and large bed bugs are. You'll need flame resistance and water veil to survive though.

OutRun88

I’m trying to play this game without reading any tips or guides online. It’s been a challenge, but a fun experience so far. I’m on the boss “Fool’s Idol” right now.

My question is, having never played this game before, should I enable online play? I’ve been thinking about trying to call on some help for this boss. The current plan is to play through exclusively offline as I don’t have PS+.

Malakhov

Banned
I’m trying to play this game without reading any tips or guides online. It’s been a challenge, but a fun experience so far. I’m on the boss “Fool’s Idol” right now.

My question is, having never played this game before, should I enable online play? I’ve been thinking about trying to call on some help for this boss. The current plan is to play through exclusively offline as I don’t have PS+.
I'd say look up on some tips for fool's idol instead of summoning someone for help. I can give you some if you want

Sinthor

Gold Member
The only way to infinitely change both your character and world tendency in a single playthrough towards white or black is through PvP.

Killing a human invader boosts both your character AND the world it happens towards white. That's 6-7 kills from pure black to pure white.

You eventually run out of resurrect stones, so the loop here is:

1. get summoned as a blue phantom and resurrected by another player, by either killing a boss or them using a resurrect miracle
2. in the human form get invaded by another player and win the fight.

That would be a lot of fun if it wasn't for IMO the biggest problem with the game - for some reason, it feels very hard to get connected, summoned or invaded. I think this is why so many payers are cheating to meet and trade kills, it's not about failing fights as much as about the downtime, all the waiting between joining games for PvP/PvE.

This is an interesting thought. I wonder how many people are actually playing the game? Normally with Souls like games for the first few weeks, just about every location you go to is smothered in summon signs. Like all over. This gradually filters down over time. However, I haven't gone ANYWHERE thus far, in all the -1 worlds where I've seen more than two summon signs ready for me to summon them. Not what I'm used to seeing. So either fewer people are playing right now, or there are issues with the game server and matchmaking systems.

On a related note, though I haven't seen more than two signs at a time to summon people into my game and am usually lucky if after some waiting I finally get ONE...if I put my sign down in Latria, I will get summoned within 10 seconds 99% of the time to be the Old Monk boss. That would indicate to me that there ARE a lot of people playing the game as this indicates people hitting that boss steadily in either their first game or NG+. So I'm not sure. Some areas where I get summoned quickly and constantly as a summon for someone else to beat the boss, show no signs for ME, when I get my human body and then look for them. Is anyone else seeing this? Has anyone come to an area that had a virtual carpet of summon signs to bring into their game?

Last edited:

OutRun88

I'd say look up on some tips for fool's idol instead of summoning someone for help. I can give you some if you want
I think I’ve generally figured out how she works,
but unfortunately I’m skilled in magic so I can’t get a lot of damage in before she creates illusions. So by the time I get her to half health there is a lot of illusions and it’s hard to find angles to avoid all the magic attacks, while simultaneously trying to get an angle on the real one to deal damage.

Malakhov

Banned
but unfortunately I’m skilled in magic so I can’t get a lot of damage in before she creates illusions. So by the time I get her to half health there is a lot of illusions and it’s hard to find angles to avoid all the magic attacks, while simultaneously trying to get an angle on the real one to deal damage.
always hide behind the pillars while protecting yourselves from the clones. Also, did you kill a guy in the chapel up there before going to her? If you didn't she will keep coming back to life. At the start of the fight kill all praying creatures and destroy all chairs to have enough room to maneuver as well

Sinthor

Gold Member
Use flame toss to do more damage to her and/or use a bow to figure out which one is the "real" idol. Also the worshippers tend to face and 'worship' the real idol. Just use the numerous pillars for cover and remember to avoid the floor patches that are electrified! If you have the ring of magical dullness, it will help make the idol's magic blast do far less damage. Of course that ring will lower YOUR magical damage output so you may went to rely on the bow...or figure out the safe way around the electrified tiles, to the correct idol so you can give her a few good whacks! :)

OutRun88

always hide behind the pillars while protecting yourselves from the clones. Also, did you kill a guy in the chapel up there before going to her? If you didn't she will keep coming back to life. At the start of the fight kill all praying creatures and destroy all chairs to have enough room to maneuver as well
I learned the hard way you should kill him first lol. Well after countless attempts I learned about this anyways. So luckily I didn’t go through the entire process of killing her yet!
Use flame toss to do more damage to her and/or use a bow to figure out which one is the "real" idol. Also the worshippers tend to face and 'worship' the real idol. Just use the numerous pillars for cover and remember to avoid the floor patches that are electrified! If you have the ring of magical dullness, it will help make the idol's magic blast do far less damage. Of course that ring will lower YOUR magical damage output so you may went to rely on the bow...or figure out the safe way around the electrified tiles, to the correct idol so you can give her a few good whacks! :)
Thanks for the input guys.

Last edited:
Ive just completed 4-2 and 4-3. Wasn’t as difficult as I was expecting it’s a little tricky to have to run through the whole level again to get to the hero but I beat him on my second try. Got all worlds complete now except for 1-5(I can’t remember if it’s 1-4 or 1-5 but I think it’s 1-5 the part after
penetrator

I think I’m nearing the end but I’m definitely going to want to finish the game again on NG+. Just undecided if I should go for some pvp and black world tendacy stuff this run or wait until ng+ I’ve been running through every world from start to finish again when I get full white to make sure Im getting everything. Gawd I am in love with this game. Level design is so impressive.

Salmon

Those
Maneaters!!
God damn! I can't kill them, and I'm going crazy about it. The whole game has been a breeze until I hit this wall, HARD! There's no pattern what so ever. Just random attacks and nothing works for me!

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
This is an interesting thought. I wonder how many people are actually playing the game? Normally with Souls like games for the first few weeks, just about every location you go to is smothered in summon signs. Like all over. This gradually filters down over time. However, I haven't gone ANYWHERE thus far, in all the -1 worlds where I've seen more than two summon signs ready for me to summon them. Not what I'm used to seeing. So either fewer people are playing right now, or there are issues with the game server and matchmaking systems.

On a related note, though I haven't seen more than two signs at a time to summon people into my game and am usually lucky if after some waiting I finally get ONE...if I put my sign down in Latria, I will get summoned within 10 seconds 99% of the time to be the Old Monk boss. That would indicate to me that there ARE a lot of people playing the game as this indicates people hitting that boss steadily in either their first game or NG+. So I'm not sure. Some areas where I get summoned quickly and constantly as a summon for someone else to beat the boss, show no signs for ME, when I get my human body and then look for them. Is anyone else seeing this? Has anyone come to an area that had a virtual carpet of summon signs to bring into their game?

what the game would greatly benefit from is a quality of life feature where you would see presence indicators of players at your compatible soul levels on archstone areas in the spawn menu, just like in Dark Souls 2 or 3.

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

It never happened until yesterday. Panicked immediately. Also this never happened before the new firmware update nor the Demon's Souls game patch which came out. Could those be causing an issue here?
It happened to me yesterday for the first time, but I've heard it happened to other people before the patch and before the new OS update.

Rolla

Banned
So I'm having some beginners problems.

I started with the "Temple Knight" Class. I got a feel for the movement, piercing blow, and timing. But the starting weapon is an AXE and on Boloteria I reach an overpass with a flaming eyed, gold armoured, spear wielding foe that I can't get pass. Either my AXE hits the wall despite being locked on or it's a one hit kill from him.

I need a sword but all I have is the time letter opener types and now my weapons are all dull and not effective. Any advice?

So I'm having some beginners problems.

I started with the "Temple Knight" Class. I got a feel for the movement, piercing blow, and timing. But the starting weapon is an AXE and on Boloteria I reach an overpass with a flaming eyed, gold armoured, spear wielding foe that I can't get pass. Either my AXE hits the wall despite being locked on or it's a one hit kill from him.

I need a sword but all I have is the time letter opener types and now my weapons are all dull and not effective. Any advice?

I think I can help you out here. I am a newbie at Souls and have got past that and even defeated around 6 bosses so far started the game as a temple knight. So here's what you should do, you're not supposed to engage that spear wielding foe. Don't go there as that area is a dead end at the start of the game. Instead try to progress other section of Boletaria to get the main palace door opened for your debut boss fight. Once you beat the debut boss, you'll earn your souls to level up your character and halberd(the spear weapon which you seem to say, the one Ive been using since the beginning).

rob_araujoo

Neo Member
I'm seriously thinking about buying Demon's but I'm in REAL doubt ...

I've never played, I'm afraid I don't know how to enjoy it and you know the games are expensive hahah ... But seeing the analysis, everyone is talking very well about the game which is very good ...

is all this really?

Top Bottom