• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

You mean Dragon Long Sword? I've been using it for a while... awesome weapon :p

Edit:

Dragon God... I can't... WTF is this shit :(

I'm pretty sure I died more times to this asshole than to all the bosses in Dark Souls combined.
I can't understand how this thing works! I get the eyes part - his eyes turn red before he attacks, but I can't figure out how his eyes actually work. I can stand in front of him at a certain spot and he won't notice me, but when I walk a bit further he sees me even when he's turning his head to the other side.

I'm stuck at the part after you launch the first sword/spear - I can make it to the pillar before the stairs, but from there he can totally see me at any time.
I think I need to get his attention and attack at a different part, then run to the stairs and go up, but I wasn't able to do it so far..

Hide behind the pillars. When you're trying to get rid of the debris, run there, hit it once, then run back behind a pillar. Might be a better way but that's how I did it.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
It's a bitch to aim soul arrow at the pillar though. Use a bow to aim manually, then swap to the catalyst and aim if you're using that weapon.

I suggest two-handing your weapon (a shield won't help you here anyway) and using a fast weapon. Normally, if you run to the debris and spam a 2-handed r1 three times the debris will break. If you time it well you'll have time to run past this debris without retreating to the previous pillar in one run, but if you're not sure, do like Zombie James did.

For the second sequence, though,
do hide behind a pillar and watch the dragon god's face. When he winces... hurry and smash, then hide again. You can still win without waiting for the wince, but it's easier this way and you're pretty much guaranteed to be safe.

M.D

Thanks guys! I was able to kill him now.. tho I was nearly killed by his breath lol

It's a bitch to aim soul arrow at the pillar though. Use a bow to aim manually, then swap to the catalyst and aim if you're using that weapon.

I suggest two-handing your weapon (a shield won't help you here anyway) and using a fast weapon. Normally, if you run to the debris and spam a 2-handed r1 three times the debris will break. If you time it well you'll have time to run past this debris without retreating to the previous pillar in one run, but if you're not sure, do like Zombie James did.

For the second sequence, though,
do hide behind a pillar and watch the dragon god's face. When he winces... hurry and smash, then hide again. You can still win without waiting for the wince, but it's easier this way and you're pretty much guaranteed to be safe.

Just to make sure, you were talking about the Dragon Long Sword +1 in the 2-2 tunnels, right?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Yeah. There isn't much else to find in those tunnels beyond that sword, and the pure dragonstone in the lava (but beating the Dragon God also gives you one).

Bananimus

I played a good 20 or so hours of Demon's Souls when it came out (only downed about 5 bosses, though), but it didn't really click with me at the time for whatever reason. Dark Souls, on the other hand, completely took over my life for a month. This weekend I decided to give Demon's Souls another shot and I think that whatever clicked during Dark Souls is carrying over here. Loading up my old save, however, was a bad idea. I’m not sure what I was going for long-term, but my character had high magic/dex and sub-10 endurance/vitality. Some type of farming had obviously transpired here (lots of upgraded gear). I downed the 2-2 boss with ease, but decided that I’d have more fun starting fresh with character whose play style I actually enjoyed.

So I rerolled with a knight and it has been a blast so far. Going mostly melee with some ranged mixed in when needed. The 2-2 boss was way harder the second time around, but what’s the point if it’s easy, right? As a bonus: [Post 2-2]
There was a sweet sword that I can’t equip yet just beyond the boss (Dragon Bone Smasher). Then I got killed by the Dragon God. I have no idea what to do and it's awesome.

Some random thoughts:

- I miss the estus flask system of Dark Souls where you start with a fresh (but limited) set of heals for each boss attempt or bonfire hop. With a non-regenerating stock of grass, you need to worry about having to restock between attempts, which can break whatever rhythm you've settled into. It's also possible to cheese the boss encounters a bit if you have a large enough stock.

- Limited health in soul form is a bad idea. I feel like they should have incentivized resurrection differently. I could be wrong, but I imagine a lot of players equip the cling ring and make due most of the time.

- World tendency is a great concept. I love the idea that certain things can change or appear based on what you've done in a particular world. That said, they implemented it terribly. Tendency appears to be reset between game sessions when in online mode, and it seems that you can enter into a state where you can't reach pure white for a particular playthrough. It’s not game-breaking, but they could have done a better job here, especially with the online mode interaction.

- The level design is fantastic. There is a great amount of variety between the worlds, too.

- I grabbed the PSN version (with plus) today. Are there any issues with saves between the two?

- Closing thought: God damn this game is good.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Glad you enjoy it! And yes I agree with most of your point. Grass can make things weird, either much harder than estus when you are really low, or way, way easier when you start accumulating tons, hah.

Remember that unlike Dark Souls, there is no poise and heavy armours's defense values are not very good, so always wear light armour to stay under 50% of your equip burden. There's no reason whatsoever to not stay below it.

And yes, the 2-2 boss is much harder with melee than ranged magic that's for sure. Hell, magic is OP-broken-easy-mode in Demon's Souls. :) It's fun to play both styles, but melee is where the true challenge lies.

So I started as a magician, but I just read that it's a shitty starting class compared to royalty if I want to focus on magic.

Should I restart the game? I'm about to face Phalanx or whatever, so I didn't do much. But I'd rather not restart if I don't need to v_v

Any way to get magic related equipment quickly and painlessly? Especially MP regen related stuff.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
You can find that MP regen ring in
3-2 bottom of the swamp
. It's kinda late in the game though. Royalty is just better all around, there's literally no reason to pick Magician as starting class. Just re-roll, you're barely started, and now that you know 1-1 well you'll get back to Phalanx really fast.

You can find that MP regen ring in
3-2 bottom of the swamp
. It's kinda late in the game though. Royalty is just better all around, there's literally no reason to pick Magician as starting class. Just re-roll, you're barely started, and now that you know 1-1 well you'll get back to Phalanx really fast.

Yeah, I'll do that now.

Thanks guys!

6for8

Any way to get magic related equipment quickly and painlessly? Especially MP regen related stuff.

You can get a Crescent Falchion near the start of 4-1. One of the first things I get when starting a new character. Nice damage and will restore your magic. If you can kill the first skeleton you meet, take your time and the Falchion will be yours.

Curufinwe

I played a good 20 or so hours of Demon's Souls when it came out (only downed about 5 bosses, though), but it didn't really click with me at the time for whatever reason. Dark Souls, on the other hand, completely took over my life for a month. This weekend I decided to give Demon's Souls another shot and I think that whatever clicked during Dark Souls is carrying over here. Loading up my old save, however, was a bad idea. I’m not sure what I was going for long-term, but my character had high magic/dex and sub-10 endurance/vitality. Some type of farming had obviously transpired here (lots of upgraded gear). I downed the 2-2 boss with ease, but decided that I’d have more fun starting fresh with character whose play style I actually enjoyed.

So I rerolled with a knight and it has been a blast so far. Going mostly melee with some ranged mixed in when needed. The 2-2 boss was way harder the second time around, but what’s the point if it’s easy, right? As a bonus: [Post 2-2]
There was a sweet sword that I can’t equip yet just beyond the boss (Dragon Bone Smasher). Then I got killed by the Dragon God. I have no idea what to do and it's awesome.

Some random thoughts:

- I miss the estus flask system of Dark Souls where you start with a fresh (but limited) set of heals for each boss attempt or bonfire hop. With a non-regenerating stock of grass, you need to worry about having to restock between attempts, which can break whatever rhythm you've settled into. It's also possible to cheese the boss encounters a bit if you have a large enough stock.

- Limited health in soul form is a bad idea. I feel like they should have incentivized resurrection differently. I could be wrong, but I imagine a lot of players equip the cling ring and make due most of the time.

That's what I'm doing.

Last night I managed to cheese the 2-2 boss by finding a spot behind some bones he couldn't get to, and slowly killing him with arrows and Soul Ray.

Danneee

Received the BP edition that I bought from ebay today. Everything was in very good condition sceptic for the outer box that was ok. Not bad for just €26 though!
Can't wait to start this again.

Was I supposed to get a key from the fat friar the Penetrator kills? I'm looking for the key for the spirit-guy's — the one looking for his body — Latria cell. I've been all the way through 3-1, but haven't found any keys for it and I've killed all the friars up until the dragon in 1-4. I only need to know whether I may have missed it at this point.

Sullichin

Was I supposed to get a key from the fat friar the Penetrator kills? I'm looking for the key for the spirit-guy's — the one looking for his body — Latria cell. I've been all the way through 3-1, but haven't found any keys for it and I've killed all the friars up until the dragon in 1-4. I only need to know whether I may have missed it at this point.

Doesn't sound like you missed it. That key is in
3-2, only if you have white world tendency
. The fat guy before the one that penetrator kills does drop his hat though, which is used for something else...

M.D

Aghh, I can't believe this :(

I was about kill King Allant, he was almost dead and I thought my strong attack will kill him, but it didn't and he killed me :/

I actually really like this fight, but I can't try it again right now because I hate the way to it and the elevator ride

I'm about to finish the game, only have him and the last boss of world 3 (which I'm doing with a fellow gaffer) to kill.

I think Dark Souls is the better game, but I think I may have enjoyed this game more since I barely used wiki and discovered almost the entire game on my own unlike Dark Souls.

leroidys

Does anyone want to let me hold the friends ring so I can get the Rogues Trophy? I just realized that I'll need to do two more playthroughs to get it and I'm already on NG+ :(

I just have to get that and grind for pure bladestone. Ugh.

M.D

I finally finished the game earlier today.
Well, not everything, I didn't talk to the Maiden in Black yet.

I think I may have ruined my character for me since I used the dupe glitch to get all the spells/miracles (although I only use like 4 spells that I got without this glitch, and never invested in magic/faith) and easily upgrade some of the weapons/shields I wanted without grinding. I don't know how to feel about that :(

I'm not sure what's next.. I may do a NG+ with a fellow gaffer, but I don't feel the need to play this game again, and I'm not invested in the PVP in this game (I only really liked invading in the burg in Dark Souls)

Mike M

Nick N
My wife surprised me with a PS3 last week, so this was the first game I got for it : D

I loved Dark Souls to death, so I'm enjoying this so far, though I'm not very far in. I do think not allowing the player to restore themselves to life or level up until they beat 1-1 is a bit of a misstep, I thought I was just missing an NPC in the Nexus to talk to or something. Plus it's kind of a dick move to handicap the player like that out the gate : /

Damned Red-Eye knight is wrecking my Lv1 Royal.

EasyMode

My wife surprised me with a PS3 last week, so this was the first game I got for it : D

I loved Dark Souls to death, so I'm enjoying this so far, though I'm not very far in. I do think not allowing the player to restore themselves to life or level up until they beat 1-1 is a bit of a misstep, I thought I was just missing an NPC in the Nexus to talk to or something. Plus it's kind of a dick move to handicap the player like that out the gate : /

The red eye knight is a dead end for now, so you can ignore him. Although a level 1 royal can cheese him by guard breaking with soul arrow spam at max distance. Keep scouring the level anyways cause there's a few items lying around that will be very helpful.

Mike M

Nick N
The red eye knight is a dead end for now, so you can ignore him. Although a level 1 royal can cheese him by guard breaking with soul arrow spam at max distance. Keep scouring the level anyways cause there's a few items lying around that will be very helpful.
I saved the guy with the key from the dredglings. Ol' Red Eyes killed me, then when I came back through after resurrecting, the guy was clearing out the mobs down on the lower level, but got taken out by the Blue Eyed Knight with the greatsword. I eventually worked my way down there over a couple game sessions (saved and quit but didn't die) after going around through the bit with the dragon and opening the gate, but there was no body to loot.

Is the key just gone forever?

EasyMode

I saved the guy with the key from the dredglings. Ol' Red Eyes killed me, then when I came back through after resurrecting, the guy was clearing out the mobs down on the lower level, but got taken out by the Blue Eyed Knight with the greatsword. I eventually worked my way down there over a couple game sessions (saved and quit but didn't die) after going around through the bit with the dragon and opening the gate, but there was no body to loot.

Is the key just gone forever?

Yes, it's gone until NG+ :( Purely optional content though.

vilmer_

Wow I recently started playing again and it seems after that deal for PS+ members the game is absolutely thriving again. I'm summoning and getting summoned basically anywhere. Great stuff :)

Mike M

Nick N
I certainly seem to see a lot more white echo phantom thingies than I ever did on Dark Souls, I hadn't considered it might be because it's undergoing a bit of a renaissance with the PSN+ deal whereas I got into Dark Souls several months late.

krakov

Tried playing some Demons Souls the other night with Pvp in mind. Got invaded once and that was all for several hours. Tried invading/cooping, running around in human form. One sl 90ish and one 10ish char.

Since I bought the game about a year ago online interaction has been very sparse for me. A summoning sign in DeS feels about as rare as a vagrant in DS.

Eu version.

Soulhouf

Tried playing some Demons Souls the other night with Pvp in mind. Got invaded once and that was all for several hours. Tried invading/cooping, running around in human form. One sl 90ish and one 10ish char.

Since I bought the game about a year ago online interaction has been very sparse for me. A summoning sign in DeS feels about as rare as a vagrant in DS.

Eu version.

The Euro version is definitely dead. One of the flaw of dedicated servers in Demon's Souls is that it's region locked.
I hope Dark Souls 2 will have global servers so that we don't have this issue.

I'm trying to have a Morion Blade made. I have the storm king's soul and +8 bastard sword. The option to have it made isn't appearing though. Is there somerhing else I need?

GeekyDad

LOL Still funny to hear about folks who try to take him on early in the game. It can be done, of course, but it's usually frustrating (not to mention unnecessary) for most.

But no, the game is perfect. Not a thing that should be changed. Even its flaws are part of its perfection.

As an aside, if you've already played Dark Souls, you've probably played the more challenging game for the simple fact you don't get 100 of each grass in Dark Souls. You just have the one flask with very limited expandability.

Mike M

Nick N
LOL Still funny to hear about folks who try to take him on early in the game. It can be done, of course, but it's usually frustrating (not to mention unnecessary) for most.

But no, the game is perfect. Not a thing that should be changed. Even its flaws are part of its perfection.

As an aside, if you've already played Dark Souls, you've probably played the more challenging game for the simple fact you don't get 100 of each grass in Dark Souls. You just have the one flask with very limited expandability.

Bah, if it's there, I'm gonna kill it! I don't go for this "coming back later" shit for things I can get to now! Besides, I've got his number now and he drops a good amount of souls for the effort. I even spent forever whittling the red dragon to death (Though he kind of seemingly randomly died halfway through his circuit before I was going to take what I thought was the final shot.)

I will say that the game's not terribly hard so far, and outside of figuring out the red eyed knight, I haven't died much at all. Granted I'm only at 2-1, but I'm familiar with their tricks already. Oh, what's this? A bridge full of enemies? Why, I'll just wait for the sound of flapping wings and then run back for shelter.

So far I do prefer the MP meter over "spell ammo" from Dark Souls. Maybe Dark Souls 2 can strike a medium and have a means if upgrading spells like weapons to increase their damage or casting count or something.

Mike M

Nick N
I cheesed the Tower Knight with Soul Arrows from the walls. Guy is incredibly intimidating, but ultimately I had it figured out almost right away.

Sullichin

Bah, if it's there, I'm gonna kill it! I don't go for this "coming back later" shit for things I can get to now! Besides, I've got his number now and he drops a good amount of souls for the effort. I even spent forever whittling the red dragon to death (Though he kind of seemingly randomly died halfway through his circuit before I was going to take what I thought was the final shot.)

I will say that the game's not terribly hard so far, and outside of figuring out the red eyed knight, I haven't died much at all. Granted I'm only at 2-1, but I'm familiar with their tricks already. Oh, what's this? A bridge full of enemies? Why, I'll just wait for the sound of flapping wings and then run back for shelter.

So far I do prefer the MP meter over "spell ammo" from Dark Souls. Maybe Dark Souls 2 can strike a medium and have a means if upgrading spells like weapons to increase their damage or casting count or something.

The MP meter makes magic even more overpowered in Demon's than it is in Dark. You can just constantly cast second chance and fire storm, it's a little silly. Dark strikes a good balance but the limited ammo makes going through the levels as a caster a little more stressful, because you're tempted to save all your ammo for the bosses.

Mike M

Nick N
I never used much magic in Dark Souls, was pretty much all melee with a smattering of Pyromancy. I've clearly been missing out.

EDIT: What happens if you don't have the stats to wield a shield? Does it just affect your parry/shield bash, or does it not let you block stuff/suffer stability penalties?

Soulhouf

I never used much magic in Dark Souls, was pretty much all melee with a smattering of Pyromancy. I've clearly been missing out.

EDIT: What happens if you don't have the stats to wield a shield? Does it just affect your parry/shield bash, or does it not let you block stuff/suffer stability penalties?

You can still block but it will drain more stamina. It actually doesn't work like in Dark Souls.

GeekyDad

Bah, if it's there, I'm gonna kill it! I don't go for this "coming back later" shit for things I can get to now! Besides, I've got his number now and he drops a good amount of souls for the effort.

Ha, ha! I hear ya'.

But good luck taking on what lies behind the door he's guarding. :) Although I don't think you can enter yet.

Mike M

Nick N
Ha, ha! I hear ya'.

But good luck taking on what lies behind the door he's guarding. :) Although I don't think you can enter yet.
The key disappeared when the guy carrying it got killed on patrol and I didn't get to the body before quitting and reloading.

I didn't know. How was I supposed to know? : (

Top Bottom