• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

elohel

ive had the music from the initial start screens/character creation screens stuck in my head for almost a week now

i must play this game again

even though someone just gifted me the pc version of dark souls lol

Sajjaja

I finally bought this game. I finished it when I borrowed it from a friend before, but I've been itching to replay it for a while. Personally, I find that Demon's Souls has a much richer atmosphere and way more immersive than Dark Souls. Boss fights are glorious and more memorable.

Can't wait to replay it with a different build. Maiden Astrea's soundtrack is haunting and probably one of my favourite soundtracks of all time.

I wish there was an ENB like series that discussed/explored the storyline of Demon's Souls.

WORLDTree

Run past him, kill the archers, chop at legs, he falls over, chop at head.

General proceedings of Tower Knight fight I've seen for myself and others.

M.D

This is so weird...

I killed the first boss in the first level, then decided to go to the second level. I got to the spider boss (did not kill him), and went back to the first level and killed the tower knight.

I'm now back at the second level, but for some reason I am doing way less damage. I read a bit about the world/character tendency, so I decided to jump off to my death in The Nexus to regain my soul form, but it didn't help much. I remember doing way more damage to the enemies there, at was at least enough that I got to the first boss.

Soulhouf

This is so weird...

I killed the first boss in the first level, then decided to go to the second level. I got to the spider boss (did not kill him), and went back to the first level and killed the tower knight.

I'm now back at the second level, but for some reason I am doing way less damage. I read a bit about the world/character tendency, so I decided to jump off to my death in The Nexus to regain my soul form, but it didn't help much. I remember doing way more damage to the enemies there, at was at least enough that I got to the first boss.

Did you die in human form? If so, each time you die, the level becomes harder until it reaches pure black where black phantom enemies will be added to the regular ones.

M.D

Did you die in human form? If so, each time you die, the level becomes harder until it reaches pure black where black phantom enemies will be added to the regular ones.

I did not die in human form while I was in the level, but I killed myself in The Nexus to get into the soul form

I went into world 4, and I think I'm doing more damage here. I got to that huge demon, took a left and died in one hit to that Samurai Skeleton ;p

Derrick01

Banned
So what are the boss souls for? I'm assuming weapons or gear of some kind later in the game. I've got the small red dragon, phalanx and tower knight's so far kind of taking up inventory space (haven't died on any of them yet /brag) but I never got far enough when I played this on release to see most of the game. I know you can consume them but I've heard that would be dumb.

Also is the PSN version auto-updated when it was put on the store? I read about that world tendency stuff and they said it was patched with 1.02 so you can die in zombie form or whatever and it won't count against you now. But the PSN version says 1.00 and I don't remember being prompted for a patch when I started it. It also stays near the bottom of my trophy list too after I play it which has never happened with a game before, it always goes to the top after playing.

Joei

So what are the boss souls for? I'm assuming weapons or gear of some kind later in the game. I've got the small red dragon, phalanx and tower knight's so far kind of taking up inventory space (haven't died on any of them yet /brag) but I never got far enough when I played this on release to see most of the game. I know you can consume them but I've heard that would be dumb.

Spells and weapons. You'll have the chance to use them for those purposes from the appropriate person (the blacksmith or spell-teacher person) a little later in the game.

Tenrius

Also is the PSN version auto-updated when it was put on the store? I read about that world tendency stuff and they said it was patched with 1.02 so you can die in zombie form or whatever and it won't count against you now. But the PSN version says 1.00 and I don't remember being prompted for a patch when I started it. It also stays near the bottom of my trophy list too after I play it which has never happened with a game before, it always goes to the top after playing.

Spells and weapons. You'll have the chance to use them for those purposes from the appropriate person (the blacksmith or spell-teacher person) a little later in the game.

The small red dragon's soul is not used for any upgrades or spells though, you can safely consume it.

M.D

Is your weapon broken?

Nope, I repaired it and even tried using the weapon I used when I first went into this level. Maybe I'm wrong about the damage I was doing earlier..

Anyway, went into the level with the skeletons, and got to the first boss fight! I got an awesome Crescent Falchion on the way there (got an as well uchigatana, but I'm investing in STR)

I wanted to try and help someone with this boss first to learn how to beat him (and not lose all my souls), but I died :( I couldn't figure out how you're supposed to hit his head without a plunge attack which this game doesn't have, and he killed me with his tongue while I going up

Gotta say, I'm having an awesome time with this game.
It took me a while to get into it, I only really liked it once I got to the Tower Knight and it reminded me why I liked Dark Souls so much.

I'm not sure if I should read some things like upgrade paths and the trade crow, or keep it to the next playthrough

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
You hit the head from above with magic (avoid his attack) or hitting the sword stuck in his gut to tip him over (avoid his attack again).

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Da fuck? Derrick had never played Demon's? Damn....so much credibility lost...

Derrick01

Banned
Da fuck? Derrick had never played Demon's? Damn....so much credibility lost...

I bought it when it came out but I only completed 4 worlds before getting bored. I don't remember what numbers they were but I do remember the bosses. Phalanx, the giant knight, the spider and some ghost chick in a church-like building. I even beat them all on my 1st tries without a guide :D

But then I remember getting bored and trading it in. I've completed dark souls twice though.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
When is it coming for euro PS+ members? Itching to play it again and I think I might platinum the euro version too.

neoemonk

I've died at least once on just about every boss. I'm actually pretty terrible at this game but I'm stubborn and managed to finish it. I found it enthralling however. Never got bored with it.

Ocaso

I hit a wall at the second part of Tower of Latria and has to take a break from the game. The repetition is just too tedious.

M.D

You hit the head from above with magic (avoid his attack) or hitting the sword stuck in his gut to tip him over (avoid his attack again).

Thanks, killed that monster ;p

I went a bit further in that level, got to the second "angel of death" after opening the door, but I decided to go back to the second level with my flame resistance ring and spell and killed the huge spider, then went in both directions in the mines and got into some tunnels and got a cool sword with flame damage. I'm pretty sure I lost a shit ton of crystal lizards while exploring that place...

Where do you should think I should go from here? I have not explored Tower of Latria and Shrine of Storms yet, maybe I should go there?

I'm not sure what to do about INT/MP/FAI... I started off with Royalty, but have not invested a single stat into one of those yet. I only use magic to attract enemies or kill enemies I can't reach, but there are some useful spells like the one I used to reduce fire damage, so maybe I should invest a bit into those as well...

Tenrius

Huh? 3-2 has a significant shortcut...

I'll just put it under spoiler tag for convenience:

I just wish there was an unlockable elevator right at the beginning, so you could get down to the swamp fast. It seemed logical and I found that going through the walkways and towers to reach the elevator was tiresome, with the swamp itself also being rather big. Of course you don't have to go down there once you break the last chain, but I was talking about the point before doing that.

Ocaso

Where are you stuck? The boss?

Nah, I reached the tower after the swamp before dying by a group of gargoyles last time I played. As Tenrius mentioned, the fact that I haven't found any shortcut to the swamp section makes trudging there incredibly tedious so I decided to take a break.

lilty

Would anyone happen to have any of the following weapon types fully upgraded? I'm going for the platinum and farming for these has been a nightmare.

Grey stone
Blade stone
Marrow stone
Moonlight stone
Darkmoon stone

If you do and would be willing to let me pick it up for the trophy to pop could you let me know?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Would anyone happen to have any of the following weapon types fully upgraded? I'm going for the platinum and farming for these has been a nightmare.

Grey stone
Blade stone
Marrow stone
Moonlight stone
Darkmoon stone

If you do and would be willing to let me pick it up for the trophy to pop could you let me know?

I can't understand you people. You want the trophy, but you don't want to work for it. Why? If the trophy is boring or tedious to get, why do you even want it?

(Also lol greystone is pitifully easy to obtain. Cloudstone is a lot worse, to be honest.)

I can't understand you people. You want the trophy, but you don't want to work for it. Why? If the trophy is boring or tedious to get, why do you even want it?

(Also lol greystone is pitifully easy to obtain. Cloudstone is a lot worse, to be honest.)
Every trophy except bladestone can be gotten fairly naturally over the course of several playthroughs and some slight planning. Bladestone is the only thing that pretty much requires insane farming most likely due to oversight on the developers side (the sequel is even better in this regard, all upgrades are trivial to get). Using the social features of Demon's Souls to get Bladestone from the lucky ones (people who got it under 25 attempts or so) seems like a better idea for most people. Because of raw probability I have spent longer than I should have trying to get it alraedy. Grinding/farming is also pretty much the antithesis of the Souls experience.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I know the pure bladestone is a pain to get. I've farmed it. But not for the trophy, but because I had made a dex build and needed it (if I had known the damn thing was so rare I would have stuck to +10 or quality, haha). I would have never farmed the damn thing for a stupid trophy, that's senseless, but asking someone to give it to you makes even less sense. If you care that much about trophies, at least earn it...

I know the pure bladestone is a pain to get. I've farmed it. But not for the trophy, but because I had made a dex build and needed it (if I had known the damn thing was so rare I would have stuck to +10 or quality, haha). I would have never farmed the damn thing for a stupid trophy, that's senseless, but asking someone to give it to you makes even less sense. If you care that much about trophies, at least earn it...

I find the meta-game of getting trophies/achievements to be generally fun for games of very high quality like Demon's Souls (or Vanquish, etc). At this point I have pretty much mastered the game, seen all of the semi-hidden content and I have been having fun trying to coordinate with people to trade for a Pure Bladestone or Sharp +5 to finish off my playing of the game (until I come back to it again down the line to replay). The trophy set in the Souls games are generally pretty good as it is basically just tied to exploring everything that is in the game and doing a couple NG+ runs.

The Pure Bladestone drop was either an oversight, a joke, an excuse to trade with people online, or a giant fuck you to DEX characters like mine. I find it fun to try to coordinate with people to get this last item but I don't find it fun to attempt to farm for this drop anymore (nor do I really enjoy farming or grinding whatsoever, I generally don't go for anything that requires me to farm or grind but I made an exception to finish off the last trophy this game - bad idea). If I can't get a trade for it I will just leave it at 98%, I don't care about it that much.

lilty

Sorry I don't want to spend hours grinding for bladestone.

lilty

I don't get why you're so bothered by it. It doesn't impact you at all. I need 3 more trophies, all of which are based on getting lucky drops. I'm farming them on my own time, but if someone is willing to help speed up the process that would help me. Nothing negative happens to you.

So don't get the trophy. Problem solved.

There is probably more skill in going to random forums to try to play the dance of trying to trade for stuff that would otherwise require a random drop. You don't "earn" a random drop in a game. It is random. You could get Pure Bladestone on your first attempt or literally never. When I go for a 1CC on Ghosts 'N Goblins and some other games on the Capcom Arcade Cabinet in May, that will be something "earned" (a fairly static challenge, and will be very fun). Running up to a black phantom Double Katana Skeleton, Soul Sucking him, and waiting on a less than 1% drop is not enjoyable as it requires little to zero skill, so even if I do get it after many, many hours it will not feel "earned" no matter what. Now trading, that sounds okay. I have tried for long enough to get it that I know that I am statistically on the bad end when it comes to getting this random drop.

I don't get why you're so bothered by it. It doesn't impact you at all. I need 3 more trophies, all of which are based on getting lucky drops. I'm farming them on my own time, but if someone is willing to help speed up the process that would help me. Nothing negative happens to you.

If you can get Pure Bladestone I will give you all the trophies!

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I know there's no skill in it. But then why bother with the trophy, is my point. ;) Hence my: "don't go after the trophy, problem solved". I guess that's a topic best left for another thread though...

Soulhouf

I was able to get the pure bladestone on more than 5 characters. Farming was between 2 and 20 hours IIRC.
But it's awesome in the end because that transition from +4 to +5 completely changes the weapon. I get big satisfaction from it because it's a rare thing.

I really miss that in Dark Souls.

Alright I managed to trade with someone online to get Pure Bladestone. Considering that Pure Bladestone is pure bullshit and hell on earth, I have duplicated it and am willing to give it to anyone who asks on this forum.

To trade with me however you have to be within range of my level, which is 206 (I got like ~+40 levels just trying to get Pure Bladestone, which is pretty bad!). According to a calculator, you must be between 178 and 236 to coop with me. Just PM me and we can setup a trade. If you need any other unlocks I can help too as I have everything in the game (but you will need to give it back after you pick it up and the trophy unlocks).

M.D

There's a pretty good weapon hidden in those tunnels. In fact, when fully upgraded this weapon can carry you til NG+.

You mean Dragon Long Sword? I've been using it for a while... awesome weapon :p

Edit:

Dragon God... I can't... WTF is this shit :(

I'm pretty sure I died more times to this asshole than to all the bosses in Dark Souls combined.
I can't understand how this thing works! I get the eyes part - his eyes turn red before he attacks, but I can't figure out how his eyes actually work. I can stand in front of him at a certain spot and he won't notice me, but when I walk a bit further he sees me even when he's turning his head to the other side.

I'm stuck at the part after you launch the first sword/spear - I can make it to the pillar before the stairs, but from there he can totally see me at any time.
I think I need to get his attention and attack at a different part, then run to the stairs and go up, but I wasn't able to do it so far..

Soulhouf

You mean Dragon Long Sword? I've been using it for a while... awesome weapon :p

Edit:

Dragon God... I can't... WTF is this shit :(

I'm pretty sure I died more times to this asshole than to all the bosses in Dark Souls combined.
I can't understand how this thing works! I get the eyes part - his eyes turn red before he attacks, but I can't figure out how his eyes actually work. I can stand in front of him at a certain spot and he won't notice me, but when I walk a bit further he sees me even when he's turning his head to the other side.

I'm stuck at the part after you launch the first sword/spear - I can make it to the pillar before the stairs, but from there he can totally see me at any time.
I think I need to get his attention and attack at a different part, then run to the stairs and go up, but I wasn't able to do it so far..

Water Veil helps a lot to tank the fire attack.
If you use the thief ring it will be harder for him to see you.

Top Bottom