• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

Soulhouf

Ah, right. I was under the impression that the numbering of the worlds (and the natural progression up the stairs in the Nexus) indicated some sort of skill/level/weapon-gating akin to the skeletons below Firelink. There you go, then.

Actually you want to start with the world that makes your build shine ASAP::
- stength/quality => 2
- dex => 4
- magic => 3/4
- faith => 5

But you do them in the order you want. It's like Megaman, you try each world and try to beat the ones you find yourself more comfortable with first.
With that said *-1 is always the easiest place. That's why it's better to do every *-1 before going further.

Actually you want to start with the world that makes your build shine ASAP::
- stength/quality => 2
- dex => 4
- magic => 3/4
- faith => 5

But you do them in the order you want. It's like Megaman, you try each world and try to beat the ones you find yourself more comfortable with first.
With that said *-1 is always the easiest place. That's why it's better to do every *-1 before going further.

Makes sense! Cheers.

Outside of the forced divergences and a short trip to 4-1 to get the Meat Cleaver, I've done everything in numerical order.

Man, so annoying that +4 Crushing only yields a B scaling as opposed to S from +5. Stoopid Pure Greystone.

My NG+ progress:

- False King Allant left
- Meph's Quest done! (hardest fight: Patches; could not beat him at all... I had to try every single weapon until I tested the Moonlight Sword from 5-2 - that did the trick!)
- 2/5 Named BPs killed: Miralda and Satsuki. Man, Satsuki... 1/10 difficulty fight before he heals himself then it is 10/10 difficulty. The only trick that worked: nail him with R2 Northern Regalia again and again, after each blocked blow. Oh and one must absolutely corner him behind the Archstone.
- every single Stone farmed (Darkmoon, Moon, Blade etc.) - everything. Upgraded and dinged Trophies.

What I do not look forward in NG++ is having to do the 5 Named BPs again for the Monumental's quest, ehh. I made a mistake in NG and now am paying consequences.

6for8

Man, so annoying that +4 Crushing only yields a B scaling as opposed to S from +5. Stoopid Pure Greystone.

Farming for a pure isn't too painful. Putting my sign down for flamelurker I will wander off and kill the 5-6 worms nearby and usually end up with at least 4 every +.

If you are on the NA server I could just drop you one. If you would prefer to earn it, how does a ng+ Satsuki fight sound? I can summon you and let you duke it out with the pure on the stairs.

Farming for a pure isn't too painful. Putting my sign down for flamelurker I will wander off and kill the 5-6 worms nearby and usually end up with at least 4 every +.

If you are on the NA server I could just drop you one. If you would prefer to earn it, how does a ng+ Satsuki fight sound? I can summon you and let you duke it out with the pure on the stairs.

Me so jelly. I forced PBWT and did about 10 rounds of the 6 Rockworms, I think; only managed a couple of chunks and plenty of shards. That being said, I have 7 Luck and no Sword of Searching, or whatever it's called.

I'm not sure how the servers work, but I'm playing on an AU account, so I'm guessing no luck there :(. Thanks for the offer, though.

2AdEPT

Makes sense! Cheers.

Outside of the forced divergences and a short trip to 4-1 to get the Meat Cleaver, I've done everything in numerical order.

IIrc you can get one from a NPC event in world 2 but you must have pure white tendency...again IIRC.

Me so jelly. I forced PBWT and did about 10 rounds of the 6 Rockworms, I think; only managed a couple of chunks and plenty of shards. That being said, I have 7 Luck and no Sword of Searching, or whatever it's called.

I'm not sure how the servers work, but I'm playing on an AU account, so I'm guessing no luck there :(. Thanks for the offer, though.

Man, 10 rounds is nothing. Keep on trying.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
I think I just saw a Message that was a commentary on a bloodstain. Remarkable, dedicated servers make this game so awesome.

Playing through this again after Dark Souls came out my most mindblowing moments were finding messages on the ground that I'd laid down years before that had accumulated 500 to 1000+ recommendations.

Dedicated servers are a bit magical.

ijed

My mage has one she aint gonna use - SL112 on the AU version if you're in range :)

pooch

Neo Member
Hi guys, got "cannot connect" messages for 2 days running - just me having this problem? need to summon help for maneater!

EDIT: cable fell out the back of the ps3, crisis over guys

YOU EMBARRASSED

So where are summon signs, normally - at the start of the level or at the end, near the boss? It was usually a bit of both in Dark Souls in my experience.

2AdEPT

Haha. If ever there were an authority on the matter... I know, I know. I'm just not in a farming mood, is all.

It wasn't meant to be, ijed :(

Colorless demons soul farming isn't as boring...maybe that DBS could use a max upgrade? I guess you will have to get PWWT first by killing a black phantom or two, either as a human host or as a blue helper. Followed by the great sword from 1-3 and you can die a good death knowing you used some decent strength weapons.

CDS farming involves invading during PBWT. You basically hit the primevil demon in each world just as the second of three warning messages that you are invading flashes...by the third you are whisked away and the primevil demon's drop is easily acquired mashing x, but its death doesn't register as you are whisked away...rinse repeat. Its fun to invade...especially in 3-2 as you get lots of monk action as well....I hate grind farming a lot actually.

You my also want to try getting a few other "signature" swords..the great sword of moonlight is such a sword but will require a bit of faith to wield, and the northern regalia is a cool sword to acquire, even of the process is more fun than the end result of having it as a strength character. These swords don't require much farming.

Soulhouf

I am in the UK (not sure what server that puts me on) and around SL40 I think. I do hope we can meet!

If your game's version is EUR, you are playing in the EUR server.
No problem. I just need to progress a little bit with my EUR character.

My PSN ID: Soulhouf

So i have had DeS for a year or so now... and I have only played a couple of hours of it (beat Phalanx iirc) recently picked up DaS Special Ed on the cheap after getting myself absorbed in several articles about the series; also because I LOVE backlogs /s. But I want to at least finish DeS before I start Dark (though from what I have heard, if I finish it I will be sucked in and won't stop until I plat it.... this is fine with me) So I was just wondering if anyone has some newbie tips? The difficulty I don't have much problem with but all these items, spells, tendency, and the ability to go to any level first is a bit overwhelming!

cj_iwakura

So i have had DeS for a year or so now... and I have only played a couple of hours of it (beat Phalanx iirc) recently picked up DaS Special Ed on the cheap after getting myself absorbed in several articles about the series; also because I LOVE backlogs /s. But I want to at least finish DeS before I start Dark (though from what I have heard, if I finish it I will be sucked in and won't stop until I plat it.... this is fine with me) So I was just wondering if anyone has some newbie tips? The difficulty I don't have much problem with but all these items, spells, tendency, and the ability to go to any level first is a bit overwhelming!

Magic is pretty broken. Do the first area, then the second or fourth. The third and fifth should be last. Also, if you go ranger build, a +5 sticky composite bow can kill most enemies before they even look at you. (Crafted from drops in the second world.)

Play it totally dark w/o knowing any hints, tips or spoilers. It's the best way to experience this game.

Leave this thread and return to it only after you beat the last boss.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Thanks to both but I think I will follow this advice... saves any stress wondering if i'm 'doing it right' :p

If you're inclined to worry about doing things right, don't. The game is designed for multiple playthroughs, and it's quite literally impossible to get everything in a single run without cheating.

Just tuck in and enjoy. Playing Demon's Souls for the first time is something you only get to do once, and it's best savored.

Booshka

If you keep trying, you can proceed...

(5 out of 10 Named BPs down, yay!)

So BP Selen Vinland in NG+... what a bitch. It was the hardest Named BP to kill (Satsuki was piss easy next to her). I am talking pure melee, no cheap/cheat tricks.

It felt so good to finally kill her after like 20 failed attempts ;_; Dragon Sword +5, Adjudicator's Shield +3 + Regen Ring, constant Warding did the trick.

I do not have to add that a fucking Wasp materialised out of nowhere and was trying to backstab me while I was busy with Selen!

This game... when it hurts - IT HURTS.

There is NO WAY I am killing her again in NG++. No thanks, I'd rather kill Satsuki instead in NG+++ for the Monumental quest.

2AdEPT

I agree that there is a lot to gain by going in fairly blind...but proper ascension can best be done after meeting blacksmith Ed in 2.1. Dont save world 2 for last is all.

I agree that there is a lot to gain by going in fairly blind...but proper ascension can best be done after meeting blacksmith Ed in 2.1. Dont save world 2 for last is all.

This was the first place I went after 1-1 (natural progression of numbers for me :p) so I was chipping away at this last night. Thanks though!

So I beat NG+ yesterday. Here are my NG++ starting stats (after losing 5 levels to Old King Allant...):

img_3107o7cz8.jpg

For reference here are my NG+ starting stats:

img_30506vsfk.jpg

The hardest boss for me was False King Allant without a question. Because of the "mistakes" I made in NG0 (playing without any FAQs) I was locked out of Poison Cloud, Arrows and a high damage weapon in the Allant fight, here's why: I did the Mephistopheles quest in NG+ so I had all Spell and Miracle merchants killed and could not remember Poison Cloud for a cheap kill. I also had Patches killed so no high damage arrows for cheating the fight. Finally, I had a Neutral Character Level (after Meph's quest I killed all 5 Named BPs) so my Northern Regalia did ubercrap damage (even lower than Crescent Falchion or Dragon Sword +5).

So there I was facing Allant hand to hand with a weak weapon (Dragon Sword +5).

Let me tell you that after 120 hours of playtime I had enough during this fight. He killed me again and again, souldraining me in the meantime a couple of times *BELOW* my END level so I had to remove even more equipment :/ First battle: I hit him only 3 times for a total of 360 damage (lol) before he annihilated me. Second and next battles were even worse. I wanted to give up, seriously. I was thinking "you've already beaten the game... he will souldrain you back to SL100... it is not worth it...". I did my best, my really, really best and he was destroying me. I was this close to leaving the game. And yet I kept on... I wanted to overcome the fear of losing levels, the fear of having a very long fight with him due to my miniscule damage output, the fear of losing again and again.

This is what Demon's Souls is about. About being better than your "best". About trying again after losing all hope that you can ever succeed.

And I did just that. I said "I have to beat him now, I did it in NG so I can do it again".

My biggest problem was rolling out of his way when he does the "lunge". I would always get hit for 75% of my health. So I decided not to roll. I always blocked the lunge attack (eating normal HP damage) and the hit him once for 130 damage with heavy Dragon Sword +5 attack. When he was casting God's Wrath I would roll back and grass. Now as you can imagine the battle took AGES. I had this mental voice in my head CONSTANTLY telling me "keep calm, he is almost at 50% HP left... keep calm, his health is already under the 'Allant' word... keep calm, his health is already under the "Old" word...". The temptation to just RUSH AND KILL THIS FUCKER ONCE AND FOR ALL when he had like 5-10% health left was OVERWHELMING but I knew that would be suicide. So I kept calm. I never dodged my strategy - I was blocking and eating hits even when he had 1% of health left waiting for that final blow opening.

It was amazing... NG+ Old King Allant was the most exhausting, tiring and yet EXHILARATING battle I fought in Demon's Souls, even more than NG+ Maneater.

Thank you, based From.

(already 30% done with NG++)
(I want to Poison Cloud this bitch in NG++ end... but maybe I will melee him idk)

Soulhouf

@StoppedInTracks: Your problem is a poor stats distribution.
Only 21 vitality against Allant in NG+ is suicide. Why did you waste all these points in int, mag and fai?
With your 30 str, you can do a lot of damage 2 hands with crushing upgraded weapons (Claymore, Guillotine Axe, Halberd...).
Also, with your current stats you can use the Meat Clever to do a solid amount of damage.

I really don't understand why do you use Dragon weapons. It's like you threw away 60 levels or something like that...

Anyway, congratulations for your achievement. At least you won't forget that fight ;-)

@StoppedInTracks: Your problem is a poor stats distribution.
Only 21 vitality against Allant in NG+ is suicide. Why did you waste all these points in int, mag and fai?
With your 30 str, you can do a lot of damage 2 hands with crushing upgraded weapons (Claymore, Guillotine Axe, Halberd...).
Also, with your current stats you can use the Meat Clever to do a solid amount of damage.

I really don't understand why do you use Dragon weapons. It's like you threw away 60 levels or something like that...

Anyway, congratulations for your achievement. At least you won't forget that fight ;-)

I think you misunderstood the stats screens. 21 Vit is beginning of NG+ (Phalanx), 50 Vit was ending of NG+ (Allant) :)

Silex

I'm thinking of buying the game.. I understood that the discs are locked to different servers.
So what region, ideally, should I buy? Which regions are more active? I usually buy from the PAL region, but I understood that that's the least active region. Should I buy US or Asia? Or is PAL not that bad too?

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
So i finally beat maneater! I used the arrow trick tough but i don't give a shit lol. Anywayi have beaten most of the the worlds except 1-4 and 5-2. Im pretty sure 1-4 is the end of the game but i still feel somewhat weak, im still using the starting weapon and armor after all but upgraded, theres gotta be better stuff in the game but im too dumb to find it.

So i finally beat maneater! I used the arrow trick tough but i don't give a shit lol. Anywayi have beaten most of the the worlds except 1-4 and 5-2. Im pretty sure 1-4 is the end of the game but i still feel somewhat weak, im still using the starting weapon and armor after all but upgraded, theres gotta be better stuff in the game but im too dumb to find it.

Anywayi have beaten most of the the worlds except 1-4 and 5-2.

except 1-4 and 5-2.

LOL good luck mang.

Toxi

Banned
Oh my God.

Look at this map. Look at how many floors, how many cells, how many pieces of treasure From Software included in this wonderful gorgeous map. Look at the use of space, from the massive open space before the boss room to the cramped, repetitive floors of the endless prison cells. Look how a seemingly clear path taunts you with treasures while hails of arrows force you to find another route. Look at how cleverly they pace the iron maidens so that you only open up a dangerous one after you become used to safe ones.

And the best part is, despite how complicated the map is, it's still a totally simplified version of 3-1's majesty.

31_en_toweroflatria.gif

Demon's Souls has the best level design of any game I've ever played.

#truthfact

Although I much prefer Latria 3-2 to Latria 3-1. It's the verticality of the level that blows my mind.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Almost done with NG++ with only Maneater, Old Monk and Allant remaining. Finally did the Monumental quest as well, yay!

NG++ is very, very easy with PWCT and Northern Regalia. After almost 150 hours I finally switched from my trusty old Dragon Sword +5 to NR :lol.

I recently bought a PS3, and this is the first game that went in. I've been playing it this past week. I'm a veteran of Dark Souls on Xbox 360, though I played offline (no XBL Gold).

I'm enjoying the online functions, seeing the bloodstains and messages. I've summoned and been summoned, fought a couple bosses co-op, really fun.

What's not fun, I've discovered through a little investigation, is how being online in body form and susceptible to invasion can wreck your world tendency for a player like me who isn't into twinking out builds; I beat 3-1, and as I walked up the stairs towards the archstone, a player black phantom bull rushed me off the steps to my death. :mad:

I didn't even like being the Old Monk. :/

I had considered playing offline for the remainder, but now I think I'll just stay in soul form so I can still have some of the online features but not worry about invasions and messing up the world tendencies by dying.

I recently bought a PS3, and this is the first game that went in. I've been playing it this past week. I'm a veteran of Dark Souls on Xbox 360, though I played offline (no XBL Gold).

I'm enjoying the online functions, seeing the bloodstains and messages. I've summoned and been summoned, fought a couple bosses co-op, really fun.

What's not fun, I've discovered through a little investigation, is how being online in body form and susceptible to invasion can wreck your world tendency for a player like me who isn't into twinking out builds; I beat 3-1, and as I walked up the stairs towards the archstone, a player black phantom bull rushed me off the steps to my death. :mad:

I didn't even like being the Old Monk. :/

I had considered playing offline for the remainder, but now I think I'll just stay in soul form so I can still have some of the online features but not worry about invasions and messing up the world tendencies by dying.

That's a big part of what makes the Souls games so fun and tense. But yeah if you're worried about tendency stay soul form. Also, what type of world tendency you have can effect what weapons you can get, and can increase drop rate. Can be pretty though to control on a first playthrough without a guide.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Oh my God.

Look at this map. [...]
Dark Souls is up there (not every level, but overall it's pretty awesome) , but yes, I agree. And you get to appreciate it even more after playing other aRPGs with such bland, generic, thoughtless dungeons in comparison.

Calibus

Still stuck on Maneater myself. I guess I'll have to farm arrows and check into this arrow trick you speak of.

Top Bottom