• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

Nimby

Banned
I'm currently on the Penetrator (heh
im sorry ill try to grow up
) after taking huge breaks and getting distracted with other games. I've died possibly 20 times, but this guy seems easy enough, rolling seems to go underneath some of his horizontal swings, but I got randomly one-hit-ko'd so I decided to explore some of the other worlds.

Maybe I'm playing this game wrong, but I've been aiming to complete each archstone one at a time unless directed elsewhere. I'm literally just stomping enemies here, either I was supposed to start this area sooner, or these enemies are just piss easy.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
) after taking huge breaks and getting distracted with other games. I've died possibly 20 times, but this guy seems easy enough, rolling seems to go underneath some of his horizontal swings, but I got randomly one-hit-ko'd so I decided to explore some of the other worlds.

Maybe I'm playing this game wrong, but I've been aiming to complete each archstone one at a time unless directed elsewhere. I'm literally just stomping enemies here, either I was supposed to start this area sooner, or these enemies are just piss easy.
Typically, in terms of difficulty, the first area of each archstone is closer than all the areas of one archstone, in terms of the strength of the enemies and bosses and just generally. So (excluding 1-1 which is sort of the intro, so let's start at 1-2), 1-2 would be close in difficulty to 2-1, 3-1, 4-1 and 5-1. Then you have 1-3, 2-2, 3-2, 4-2, 5-2, and finally the archdemons of each.
It varies though, for instance, 2-2 is probably the easiest of that list, probably closer to 4-1 in terms of the enemies, but the boss is considered pretty tough.

But yeah if you complete the full Boleteria archstone all the way through 1-4, 5-1 is gonna seem like a huge joke, basically. That's why 1-3, the Penetrator area, is locked off until you cleared at least one world. I'm assuming you cleared world 2 (Stonefang) as that one is probably the most accessible. But if you didn't visit worlds 3, 4 or 5 at all and are struggling against Penetrator, I would definitely suggest going to 3-1, 4-1 or 5-1 before trying again.

Celegus

I know this is probably sacrilege to most people, but I finally started a second character last night after platinuming Demon's Souls 5 years ago (has it really been that long?!) Trying a magic type, which I've never really used in any Souls game. Might need to check a general guide on which areas to hit up first to get some more spells and such, but I did find the Kris Blade already. 1-1,1-2,2-1 and half of 3-1 cleared so far without dying. Game is just as good as I remember it being!

Soulhouf

I know this is probably sacrilege to most people, but I finally started a second character last night after platinuming Demon's Souls 5 years ago (has it really been that long?!) Trying a magic type, which I've never really used in any Souls game. Might need to check a general guide on which areas to hit up first to get some more spells and such, but I did find the Kris Blade already. 1-1,1-2,2-1 and half of 3-1 cleared so far without dying. Game is just as good as I remember it being!

Next step go to 4-1 and 4-2 to get the Crescent Falchion and upgrade it. That weapon will help you a lot as a magic user.

I bought Demon's Souls from the PSN sale the other month, and played through 1-1 and killed Miralda without much trouble. I also tried 3-1 and 5-1, as well as having a fight against Tower Knight, which I was doing alright with. I reinstalled it last night and am now trying 4-1, and I've found a sword that looks good, Uchigatana, which I can't wield one handed yet, and I'm confused as to how weapon upgrading works. I'm trying to go through as blind as possible, but I had a look on the wiki at the page for this weapon, and making it sharp through bladestone seems to be good for me, but how should I upgrade it? Do I just upgrade with bladestone, or should I use sharpstone to level it up a bit first?

My character build isn't focused at all, but I'm going as a Wanderer that currently has a higher preference in dexterity and endurance, am dual wielding, wearing light armour, and am considering whether it not to use magic; I bought that basic fire spell but I'm not really feeling it, so I may leave upgrading it. I'm soul level 22 now if I remember correctly.

Up to now I'm tempted to use Uchigatana and a bow in my right hand, and Shotel and something else in my left, probably either a spell or miracle casting item of some description, or a non-curved sword weapon.

Soulhouf

I bought Demon's Souls from the PSN sale the other month, and played through 1-1 and killed Miralda without much trouble. I also tried 3-1 and 5-1, as well as having a fight against Tower Knight, which I was doing alright with. I reinstalled it last night and am now trying 4-1, and I've found a sword that looks good, Uchigatana, which I can't wield one handed yet, and I'm confused as to how weapon upgrading works. I'm trying to go through as blind as possible, but I had a look on the wiki at the page for this weapon, and making it sharp through bladestone seems to be good for me, but how should I upgrade it? Do I just upgrade with bladestone, or should I use sharpstone to level it up a bit first?

My character build isn't focused at all, but I'm going as a Wanderer that currently has a higher preference in dexterity and endurance, am dual wielding, wearing light armour, and am considering whether it not to use magic; I bought that basic fire spell but I'm not really feeling it, so I may leave upgrading it. I'm soul level 22 now if I remember correctly.

Up to now I'm tempted to use Uchigatana and a bow in my right hand, and Shotel and something else in my left, probably either a spell or miracle casting item of some description, or a non-curved sword weapon.

If you have patience -because you'll need it- go for a Sharp Ushigatana but prepare yourself eventually for long farming sessions for the pure Bladestone which upgrade that blade to +5 and gives it a S dex scaling.
If not, you can upgrade it as Quality Ushigatana which is much easier to max out but you'll need to increase your dex and str to get its full potential.

Don't worry, I've heard about how hard pure bladestone is to find, and chances are I'll upgrade it until I need to use that.

I'm definitely enjoying the game, and up to now I'm finding it fairly easy, although I'm expecting that to change. Losing soul levels isn't bothering me at all, which I guess is a good attitude to get me through it.

It's not like you won't get great damage from a +4. The +5 is just icing.

I have a +3 currently (need one more chunk of bladestone for the next level), and 25 dexterity, and I feel like I'm doing a lot of damage now. I also made actual progress yesterday, and I've now killed my first bosses; Adjuticator, who took 3 goes, Armor Spider, who I got on my first go by just running up to it, mashing R1, and healing every now and then, and Tower Knight, who I took 3/4s of it's health bar when I fought it at soul level 12, but killed it on my first go yesterday while only getting hit when it fell on me twice.

The flame toss spell has been helping me quite a bit, and I've got a bit more used to using magic now. I'm not sure how to level up my Shotel though. I'm tempted between Crescent for the MP regen, and Mercury for poisoning. Also, what's the timing on the Shotel's parry? I can parry with the Falchion no problem, but the animation for the Shotel is throwing me off.

So I just recently started playing this game, and I've run into some trouble. I did the 1st castle part first and I found that quite enjoyable. The difficulty wasn't too bad outside of the red eyed enemy knight, so I felt like that it was truly my fault whenever I died.

However, after I beat the phalanx, I tried to move on to the next area in that level and I quickly ran into problems. After dying due to the dragons a few times, I made it to the tower shield boss, but quickly died as I didn't know what to do. So when I spawned back at the beginning and died before reaching the boss with my next few attempts I was starting to get annoyed with the game.

The more I play the level, the lower my stock of health grass gets. Additionally, my equipment's durability continues to go down. It sort of feels like I have to grind on the easy part of the level before I even have a good chance on the later parts.

So is this a game where frequent grinding is required? Because if it is, then I don't know that I would find this game to be fun.

Glassboy

So I just recently started playing this game, and I've run into some trouble. I did the 1st castle part first and I found that quite enjoyable. The difficulty wasn't too bad outside of the red eyed enemy knight, so I felt like that it was truly my fault whenever I died.

However, after I beat the phalanx, I tried to move on to the next area in that level and I quickly ran into problems. After dying due to the dragons a few times, I made it to the tower shield boss, but quickly died as I didn't know what to do. So when I spawned back at the beginning and died before reaching the boss with my next few attempts I was starting to get annoyed with the game.

The more I play the level, the lower my stock of health grass gets. Additionally, my equipment's durability continues to go down. It sort of feels like I have to grind on the easy part of the level before I even have a good chance on the later parts.

So is this a game where frequent grinding is required? Because if it is, then I don't know that I would find this game to be fun.

You never really have to grind in this game. The first time I played the game I gave up at about the same spot you are at now. I started it again this year and finally went through and beat this masterpiece. That said, I may have a few tips for you. Be prepared when you go to new areas. Make sure you have the right amount of items and the right equipment depending on where you are. be patient. Learn enemy patterns. Don't rush into fights. Also, after you beat the Tower knight, I believe you can start upgrading your character. That's when I started to really get addicted to the game. Cheers

The game isn't linear. After defeating phalanx, you may now use the other archstones in the Nexus to go the first zones of the other worlds, which are easier than 1-2.

If you go back to the beginning of the first world, so the Boletaria Archstone, and head up the bridge to the room were you fought Phalanx, when you come to the first enemy there is a small staircase to your left. If you walk down it and the gate is open you can go down and fight some enemies there, who for me at least drop the basic healing grass every time, and there's around eight or so enemies down there. Once you kill them you can throw yourself off the cliff there, and keep heading back if you feel like you need more grass.

The gate only opens when you get white tendency for that world, but for me it opened up as soon as I beat Phalanx.

Tower Knight is a fairly easy one to fight, and you can get to him quickly. However, I'd say world 2 would be a good place for you to try, as it's quite easy, and you can open up a lot of shortcuts. Either that or world 4, which is a lot more difficult in comparison, but has the opportunity to get a lot of souls.

Robaperas

I just finished this, really an amazing experience, great areas, weird enemies, stupid deaths, and tricky falls; the only boss that gave me trouble was the maneater, just because of the way you get to it.
Also I really missed the jump attack from DkS at some parts, I took a ton of damage at the beginning just because I tried it unconsciously.

I tried to do a blind run, but I had to look up why I couldn't find the damn clearstone chunks, and well, they are limited per run, and I "wasted" them on a quality Estoc
the one I used it to kill the last boss, so it wasn't really a waste.

If only I had played this game when there were people to invade or coop with, I could've been hooked for months.

Soulhouf

I just finished this, really an amazing experience, great areas, weird enemies, stupid deaths, and tricky falls; the only boss that gave me trouble was the maneater, just because of the way you get to it.
Also I really missed the jump attack from DkS at some parts, I took a ton of damage at the beginning just because I tried it unconsciously.

I tried to do a blind run, but I had to look up why I couldn't find the damn clearstone chunks, and well, they are limited per run, and I "wasted" them on a quality Estoc
the one I used it to kill the last boss, so it wasn't really a waste.

If only I had played this game when there were people to invade or coop with, I could've been hooked for months.

No they aren't.
The thief/spy enemies in 1-3 and 1-4 drop them.

Anyway, congrat for beating this amazing game!

Tarkus

Why didn't From carry over the Gloom Armor set into Dark Souls? It's the best looking armor I've ever seen in a game.
Demons-Souls-Gloom-Armor.jpg

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
going to start this soon. i played a shit ton of daso1/2 but never deso. str or dex build? what are good str and dex weapons?
Both are great. But dex is slightly more annoying to make due to the rarity of the pure bladestone. You can use strong dex weapons without using the bladestone upgrade path, though, by using spiderstone for bows and the Hiltless katana (requires Colorless demon souls to upgrade of which there is a finite amount per playthrough) or making a Quality upgrade which will still be good, just not min-maxed.

For strength, the best weapon is by far the Dragon Bone Smasher. It's insanely powerful and very fast, ultra greatswords in the sequels are honestly bad compared to this. Requires colorless souls too, but worth if if you're focusing on strength. If you don't want an ultra greatsword, you can use the Crushing upgrade path on a claymore, a mirdan hammer, a knight sword, or a great axe, they're all very very good. Claymore is probably the best weapon in the game.

If you're going melee only, do try to up your intelligence high enough to get 3 spell slots anyway to memorize the Curse Weapon spell, mixed with your melee weapon you will deal insane damage.

derwalde

Both are great. But dex is slightly more annoying to make due to the rarity of the pure bladestone. You can use strong dex weapons without using the bladestone upgrade path, though, by using spiderstone for bows and the Hiltless katana (requires Colorless demon souls to upgrade of which there is a finite amount per playthrough) or making a Quality upgrade which will still be good, just not min-maxed.

For strength, the best weapon is by far the Dragon Bone Smasher. It's insanely powerful and very fast, ultra greatswords in the sequels are honestly bad compared to this. Requires colorless souls too, but worth if if you're focusing on strength. If you don't want an ultra greatsword, you can use the Crushing upgrade path on a claymore, a mirdan hammer, a knight sword, or a great axe, they're all very very good. Claymore is probably the best weapon in the game.

If you're going melee only, do try to up your intelligence high enough to get 3 spell slots anyway to memorize the Curse Weapon spell, mixed with your melee weapon you will deal insane damage.

i started with templar knight and invested in vit and end till now. will go for the claymore (i love that weapon in DaSo). thanks for the reply!

So I've discovered that a Dragon Knight sword +5 and warding make the 1st play through really easy.

What is the best way to go about manipulating world tendency? I haven't gotten any of the special world tendency events yet, for pure black or pure white, and I wanted to get them before I beat the only level I haven't completed yet: 1-4.

Soulhouf

So I've discovered that a Dragon Knight sword +5 and warding make the 1st play through really easy.

What is the best way to go about manipulating world tendency? I haven't gotten any of the special world tendency events yet, for pure black or pure white, and I wanted to get them before I beat the only level I haven't completed yet: 1-4.

There are a few ways to do it.
The easiest one is to beat all the bosses of a given level in a row, in soul form. That way you shift the WT to pure white. Once you're done with PW event, suicide in human form 7 times in a row. Come back to the Nexus and the world will be pure black.

Donos

Second worst advice ever (the first would be to tell him to invest in luck). VIT is immensely useful.

Sorry, thought he had already a bunch of lvls on his back and wasn't just starting. Of course i don't say that he should let VIT at the starting status but he should not bring it to 50. I left my VIT rather low (around 20-25) the first playthroughs. For the beginning it's obviously good to invest. Shit i think i'm confusing some stuff with Dark Souls. Have to boot up DeS again. Better disregard everything i say derwalde.

I also always pump up my luck to 99
naw, never put a soul into luck

blado

Finished playing Dark souls 1 and 2 and loved them both. Unfortunately I didn't have a PS3 so I was unable to play Demon's Souls until now. I finally said screw it and bought a PS3 specifically for Demon's Souls and a few other exclusives. Almost done with 1-1 and I'm really enjoying myself so far.

One thing I'm curious about though is the frame-rate. One thing I've noticed is that when I destroy a lot of barrels at once, it can cause the FPS to drop rather drastically for a short amount of time. I've read that this game isn't exactly perfect when it comes to FPS, but I wanted to make sure this sort of thing is normal.

One thing I'm curious about though is the frame-rate. One thing I've noticed is that when I destroy a lot of barrels at once, it can cause the FPS to drop rather drastically for a short amount of time. I've read that this game isn't exactly perfect when it comes to FPS, but I wanted to make sure this sort of thing is normal.
That's normal yeah.

blado

Just beat the game after around 23 hours played. You can definitely tell it was the first in the series, but I really enjoyed it a lot. The atmosphere was great, and the level design in Boletarian Palace and Tower of Latria were especially fun. I do feel that fully upgraded weapons are a bit overpowered in this game when compared to Dark Souls 1 or 2, but it still offered some good challenges. Hopefully Bloodborne can live up to this game atmospherically.

I was trying to work out where I knew the music from for almost the whole video then I read the description, doh. :3

So the headbutt is charged with light weapon?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Hahaha nice vid

Yeah it's casting LW on an iron knuckle or a claw, and then spamming forward+r1 which does the headbutt move on fists weapons. The stamina cost is so small that you can often spam it infinitely if you don't mess up.

It's also old news, but for some reason didn't become a meme back in the day. :p

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
If you see the warning pop and the red icon on your HUD, yes, its effectiveness is decreased. If it breaks completely, you can't use it or damage will be even lower, IIRC. Just repair them or use a grindstone.

2AdEPT

You can not really play it "wrong" although I woudl not suggest just going in order. depending on what kind of character you are there is certain equipment you will want to get first. Obviously a mage will want to visit
3-1
as soon as possible to free
sage freke
and get better access to spells. faith player will want to get
5-1, 5-2
done early to get the
moonlight
sword and
Isatrelle
spear. A lot of the levels dont require you to finsihed them completely beforeyou loot them of their items but obviously you have to complete the first one of each world before moving on. Everybody wants to get the
red hot demon soul
early however which means 2.1, and 2.2 should be earlier on the schedule.

a suggested path that I lke to promote for most melee characters who dabble in all areas is as follows (I wont spoil why but there is a logical explanation):

1-1, 1-2, (pure white world tendency), cheese
ostrava/ king doran
for his fire resist armour 2-1, 2-2, 2-3 (pure white world tendency), 3-1, 4-1, 4-2, 4-3 (pure white) 3-2, 3-3, (pure white), 5-1,2,3 (pure white), 1-3, 1-4, end game clean up, white character followed by black character, end game/cycle reset...the second round is all about grinding souls/stones etc, and buying all the different weapons and magic etc you didnt choose the first round owing to using the boss souls. Each boss soul has multiple uses.

Black tendency can be done any time but usually easier to get the white out of the way first. You need to be stronger for black regardless and this occurs naturally at the end of cycles.

Why didn't From carry over the Gloom Armor set into Dark Souls? It's the best looking armor I've ever seen in a game.
Demons-Souls-Gloom-Armor.jpg

ironically the black and silver knights were likely modelled after it ;)

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Does anyone have a ~200 level character in NG+ on the US servers that they could use to hook me up with the friend and foe rings temporarily for the trophy? The monumental isn't giving me the friend ring even though I answered yes to him and played offline the whole time and killed all 5 BPs to make myself pure white. He just keeps repeating the same line over and over.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
What the hell is this witchcraft? What is going on? What are those black phantoms? Why is the player in ghost form?

This is straight up black magic.

Edit: Just watched a bit more - giant enemies? I am extremely confused.

It's some sort of hack that replaced normal enemies with enemies that were from content cut from the game, that is, the broken archstone. Now we can see what they would have looked like. :O And even some of their animations...

Siegmeyer

It's some sort of hack that replaced normal enemies with enemies that were from content cut from the game, that is, the broken archstone. Now we can see what they would have looked like. :O And even some of their animations...

Oh wow, so there was content for that archstone all along? I always assumed it just gave them the setting for any DLC had they decided to make any. This news makes me sad.

Also, I have probably over 500 hours in DeS and never knew that there was a headbutt move with fist weapons.

The Souls games man. You think you know them inside out and then they surprise the shit out of you, time after time.

Top Bottom