• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 PC Beta Thread - Codes are redeemable, preload starts Friday 25th, 10AM PDT

nikos

Preordered on amazon about an hour ago but haven’t received a code. Am I too late, or should I contact them tonight?

EDIT: Looks like others as well, and GameStop’s page says it can take two days. Guess I’ll wait until tomorrow.

Swarna

The issue is finding a vertical mouse that's good for gaming. The ones I use for normal desktop work don't have the greatest sensors.

My point was to try to use regular mice in a different manner but perhaps the specifics of your wrist condition restricts even that (I don't know). I can guarantee based on sheer years of experience that using a regular mouse in the way I've described prevents any wrist discomfort/injury in the long term barring unusual conditions.

Great experience, ran the strike through a couple times and ran a few quick play matches. Glad that saxman stopped playing, but it lasted... maybe 30 minutes. As never played Destiny before, I am happy to feel the Halo DNA running strong through Destiny 2.

I was booted to menu a second ago with the game message telling me to restart the game, guess it had a patch.

Not seeing many Titans! Looots of hunters.

Alexious

Just got HDR working. Windows resolution has to match game resolution. Damn shame that 4K isn't supported with fullscreen.

Doesn't change anything for me. I tried selecting 1440P in both and it still doesn't activate properly.

What are your color/bit rate settings in NVIDIA's Panel?

SirNinja

Find the exe in the game directory, right click and select properties, go to compatibility options, and uncheck the checkbox relating to High DPI scaling. Fixed it for me.

That box is already unchecked, unfortunately. I'll keep trying stuff...

Swarna

Really wish they would stop controller players from using aim assist, at least in PvP

It's just cheap

I'm not convinced it's better overall but it becomes an uneven match-up.

It's like one set of players playing basketball as normal and another set playing on wheelchairs with some guy sitting on top of the backboard waiting to catch any of their shots in the general vicinity of the rim and dropping it in for them.

I personally don't care and still think raw input mouse+keyboard is better but it opens the floodgates for complaints from the primary PC audience.

Bustanen

Doesn't change anything for me. I tried selecting 1440P in both and it still doesn't activate properly.

What are your color/bit rate settings in NVIDIA's Panel?
Try 1080p. Got 1440p working first too but switching to windows made the screen go green again. 422 and 12bit works for me at 1080p.

molnizzle

My point was to try to use regular mice in a different manner but perhaps the specifics of your wrist condition restricts even that (I don't know). I can guarantee based on sheer years of experience that using a regular mouse in the way I've described prevents any wrist discomfort/injury in the long term barring unusual conditions.

Just rotating my wrist to that position causes me pain. That's the issue, not the actual movement. I used to use arm movement when I was younger anyway since it allowed for more precise aim. Had a huge ass mousepad. lol

For the record it isn't good for anyone to keep their wrist rotated in "mouse position" for years and years of gaming. That's why vertical mice exist in the first place. 😉

I got my code from Amazon finally. I ended up calling this time instead of using the web chat. Seems that their system is having problems generating promo codes. They canceled and re-ordered my game 3 times before one was generated.

23qwerty

Just tried to get my code from amazon web chat and they said they didn't know which beta run I was on and that the code would be emailed 3 days after preorder (wednesday) when of course the code would be worthless but okay thanks

feel

Unpopular opinion I know but this game would be so much better for me without sprint/ADS mechanics, they're so awkward and clunky and offer no benefit that couldn't be achieved without them.

Cmagus

Just tried to get my code from amazon web chat and they said they didn't know which beta run I was on and that the code would be emailed 3 days after preorder (wednesday) when of course the code would be worthless but okay thanks

Doesn't the beta open up to everyone without a pre-order tomorrow though? If your code doesn't come you can still play it tomorrow.I wanna pre-order but I also wanna try this first to make sure my PC is gonna handle it ok.

Unpopular opinion I know but this game would be so much better for me without sprint/ADS mechanics, they're so awkward and clunky and offer no benefit that couldn't be achieved without them.

On PC yeah but on console ADS is a must because it acts as a soft lock-on in games

nomis

ADS maybe, but i like the sprint/slide mechanic. How would you induce a slide without a sprint? Crouching at a set speed should just be a crouch.

I find it weird that the pulse rifle's range stat is lower than the auto-rifle. Isn't the pusle rifle kinda like the halo br?Shouldn't it have more range than the auto rifle lol?

Swarna

Some people argue that Destiny's flow is destroyed if you remove ADS.

Yeah, but I mean it would probably be for the better,

Wallach

I find it weird that the pulse rifle's range stat is lower than the auto-rifle. Isn't the pusle rifle kinda like the halo br?Shouldn't it have more range than the auto rifle lol?

Weapon stats in Destiny are only relative to other weapons in that same class. So the PR you have in the beta just has middling Range stat relative to other PRs.

TheRed

This game is just glorious on PC wow. I hated what I played of vanilla Destiny. But this fantastic PC version has really let me enjoy Destiny way more. Looks damn beautiful too on my GTX 1080.
It solidified me keeping this pre order with a couple friends after thinking I was just gonna try the beta and cancel it.

Weapon stats in Destiny are only relative to other weapons in that same class. So the PR you have in the beta just has middling Range stat relative to other PRs.

Really? But from the little I played of Destiny 1 and this beta almost all hand cannons have high impact, auto rifle high rate of fire, sniper high range, etc? Doesn't seem normalized to the class itself but I could be wrong

Wallach

Really? But from the little I played of Destiny 1 and this beta almost all hand cannons have high impact, auto rifle high rate of fire, sniper high range, etc? Doesn't seem normalized to the class itself but I could be wrong

They use some arbitrary ranges in the meter display but they're still only relative to their own weapon type.

Like if you find a sniper rifle that has an exactly 50% "Range" stat meter and an AR that has a 60% "Range" stat meter, the Sniper Rifle is still going to shoot a lot farther before experiencing damage falloff. The arbitrary element just gives you more reference to visually group weapons together by their type.

HowZatOZ

Banned
Fuuuuuck this game is so damn pretty.

MdSaHS2.jpg

I gotta say, this game was meant for PC. The controls are much more fluid and far easier to deal with, its just so damn good.

Even with aim assist you will get shit on by keyboard and mouse, every time.

I haven't been getting shit on at all, I've been first on my team in like half of the matches I've played thus far. I've said it before and I'll say it again, it totally depends on what kind of shooter it is (in addition to how they balance the controller). With Destiny's high kill times and focus on maneuverability, the advantage of mouse accuracy and twitch aiming are less (strafe precision over time takes the lead), and when you add aim assist to the controller it makes the advantage even less. DOOM and Titanfall 2 are other examples of controllers excelling with a gamepad...especially DOOM, I destroy in multiplayer.

I haven't been getting shit on at all, I've been first on my team in like half of the matches I've played thus far. I've said it before and I'll say it again, it totally depends on what kind of shooter it is (in addition to how they balance the controller). With Destiny's high kill times and focus on maneuverability, the advantage of mouse accuracy and twitch aiming are less, and when you add aim assist to the controller it makes the advantage even less. DOOM and Titanfall 2 are other examples of controllers excelling with a gamepad...especially DOOM, I destroy in multiplayer.

I agree with you... when there's an engagement in which you're not flanked. The moment you're shot at the back with a pad though you absolutely cannot hope to defend yourself and have to flee to cover, you just can't pivot on a dime like a mouse can. That's the biggest dynamic shift I've notice when trying fpses on consoles.

HowZatOZ

Banned
Oh, one gripe so far. When selecting your character class don't make it select straight away on click. I was alt tabbed and tabbed back in only to click on a class thinking it would give me more details or something. Accidentally chose Hunter but seems I'm not the only one haha.

I agree with you... when there's an engagement in which you're not flanked. The moment you're shot at the back with a pad though you absolutely cannot hope to defend yourself and have to flee to cover, you just can't pivot on a dime like a mouse can. That's the biggest dynamic shift I've notice when trying fpses on consoles.

That's true for sure, but higher kill times definitely mitigate that issue. If you have good player awareness to match, I don't think it's a huge problem. Not to mention I personally believe other than quick turns, controller has a movement advantage over PC. Thumb for movement> 3 fingers.

Holy shit this plays amazing on PC. unfortunately the only way ill buy it is if console characters data transfers over. Too many friends that play destiny that only game on PS4.

But damn if it isnt buttery smooth on my 1080 and an ultrawide monitor.

ViciousDS

Banned
oh my lord.....no way in hell am I keeping the console pre-order

I can easily wait.....the matches are so much more fun, intense and a blast to play.

Controls are so smooth and everything feels more natural.....this game was born for PC baby!

JMizzlin

I'm having a weird issue with my mouse. It's super choppy and unresponsive playing D2 beta but in every other game/general use it works perfectly.

Any tips?

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I'm pretty much done with the beta, I've done the story mission with each character, the strike a couple of times and a bit of PvP but I don't really feel the urge to keep playing. I will keep my pre-order though as the game is fun, and it runs great on PC but most of my interest is in the campaign and PvE content so the beta is tapped out for me.

I feel the super's and grenades have far too long of a CD, it feels like you never get to use them.

Man this PC beta is amazing, fixes all of the little things I had issues with (Grenade damage, ability charge times, power ammo drops ect..) and just runs and plays like a dream. Playing at max 1440p 60fps on a 980ti and i7 6700k, seems like only the in-game cut scenes makes it drop frame rate.

I REALLY wish this was launching the same day as console or only 1/2 weeks away. Not a whole month and a half :/ I might just go physical on PS4, then trade that in and move over to PC where I'll stay for the DLC. Also don't plan to do the Raid till PC either.

harrytang

Wow my 680 still holding up! This plays buttery smooth at 100/60.... Way better than my PS pro.... Going to double dip on this.

I also have to say that my original wired 360 controller with the rubber worn off the sticks still the best controller I've ever had... Outlived two ps4 controllers and original Xbox 1 controller. Killing it.

Playing warlock using auto rifle and smg... Two supers in my first crucible match of control. Much better! Wow the Nerf on the fusion rifle is real..... That's good I guess.

Tovarisc

Does ADS provide any meaningful accuracy bonuses apart from zooming in a little?

Significantly tighter cone of fire.

Always ADS with anything that isn't shotgun and even with them.

Man this PC beta is amazing, fixes all of the little things I had issues with (Grenade damage, ability charge times, power ammo drops ect..) and just runs and plays like a dream. Playing at max 1440p 60fps on a 980ti and i7 6700k, seems like only the in-game cut scenes makes it drop frame rate.

I REALLY wish this was launching the same day as console or only 1/2 weeks away. Not a whole month and a half :/ I might just go physical on PS4, then trade that in and move over to PC where I'll stay for the DLC. Also don't plan to do the Raid till PC either.

Cutscenes are pre-rendered and to 30FPS.

trembli0s

I didn't see it in the OT but does anyone have a condensed GUI guide to Destiny and all the interface elements?

This is my first time ever playing and while the game is gorgeous I'm definitely lost. I notice there's a ton of ammo options/weapon classes but I have no idea what enemies are supposed to be weaker to what.

Top Bottom