• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT16| Enrage is here, there, everywhere...

I always tend to sneak in a few R1s when I'm getting to Crota. Here's a visual representation of me as the sword wielder.

sMR6Vqm.gif
hmm this is a better methods than epic sax guy!
Random teleports don't bother me. I think it actually made this ridiculously simple fight, somewhat of a challenge.

The one fact that bothered me about random teleports was that Bungie tried to call it a "bug" instead of just straight up saying "You guys made our Hard raid look like a joke, so we're going to add a touch of artificial difficulty post-patch".
Agreed. Side note, there was as "bug" with hanging out under the crystal room. Bungie fix that by placing a gatekeeper. Good thing the silly bugs such as heavy ammo, sword disappearing, etc are still working as intended.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Okay I can set up the gorgon's cp on hard for whoever needs it. PSN is Tigerheli. Will only be in there for about 10 to 15 minutes :)

zewone

Come on bro, this analysis is hardly fair. Here's what the crota fight boils down to for me if I'm on sniper duty: my job is to shoot knights in the head and hide from the ogre. That's it. If I am on shield duty, my job is to snipe a swordbearer in the head once or twice, then fire 2 rockets whenever the our sword guy says. I don't even have to think about when to fire - someone else will tell me. Then I run and hide from ogre. The only one that is doing anything remotely complex in crota is the sword bearer. This is exactly why I don't like the crota fight - it's way, way too overly simplistic.

My point wasn't to make it seem like the Crota fight was complex. My point is that neither raid boss is overly complex but for nostalgic reasons maybe, people put the Atheon encounter on a pedestal.

EDIT: and having to fire rockets when a team member asks is more teamwork than Atheon requires. ;)

Atkison04

hahaha I know exactly how that is. First day I went with 3 different groups, all disbanded after anywhere between 1.5-2.5 hours each. Finally got him down the 2nd day after some rest. 2nd and 3rd kills last week took about 3 hours and 2 hours respectively. I think this week should go smoother will all the different strats now: Bubble distraction, ogre room distraction, ogre room in general, titans blinding boomers, etc.

I do hand it to the folks i was running it with for not giving up. Two had to leave for various reasons but after 6 hours we finally got him down the second time. I couldn't help but feel like wtf did i just do with my day after that though lol. Please noooooo more of that! Good luck on your runs man! We'll be running it twice up to crota around 7pm if you don't have anyone.

E92 M3

How does the Abyss Defiant compare to the Vex Mythoclast? They seem to be pretty much the same thing (Solar Damage Auto Rifles with a medium rate of fire).

Two different beasts really (and both great).

So how does hard Crota work as far as chests/rewards? Are they completely separate from normal like VoG where you can do both normal and hard each week for a different set of rewards?

Thankfully, hard crota has a bias towards hard rewards. Very thankful for that and the loot is still doubled up if you didn't do normal.

Hey, how did you get my swordbearing video?

Pretty sure it's me. Got the footage of me getting Crota slashed while trying to fly off the platform.

tumblr_inline_nd6z15xDtX1s3mact.gif

I just hope my crew finishes crota more efficiently this time. I've spent over 8 hours on 2 completes! And yes, part of that was with grandmaster Phaethon up there running sword!

Hey. Only 2 1/2hrs were with me, and that was all lag's fault. I got down 40% of his health in two kneels to win it!

Namikaze1

GF got two Crux of Crota across 3 runs. Today is the first time she completed Hard mode and she got Crux of Crota. Twice. Yeah, she's rubbing it in my face. That's okay, I took her Word of Crota.

I'm looking to do a fresh CE HM run, or a Crota only kill. PSN is greyblade if you have a party going or if you want to join up to do it.

GF got two Crux of Crota across 3 runs. Today is the first time she completed Hard mode and she got Crux of Crota. Twice. Yeah, she's rubbing it in my face. That's okay, I took her Word of Crota.

(I'm assuming you live with her). Do you share PSN accounts or she has her own?

Atkison04

Pretty sure it's me. Got the footage of me getting Crota slashed while trying to fly off the platform.

tumblr_inline_nd6z15xDtX1s3mact.gif

Hey. Only 2 1/2hrs were with me, and that was all lag's fault. I got down 40% of his health in two kneels to win it!

Bro, bring that sword back. The Fartbringers secretary doesn't have any crota primary weapon drops yet!

I do hand it to the folks i was running it with for not giving up. Two had to leave for various reasons but after 6 hours we finally got him down the second time. I couldn't help but feel like wtf did i just do with my day after that though lol. Please noooooo more of that! Good luck on your runs man! We'll be running it twice up to crota around 7pm if you don't have anyone.

Yea thanks, you too! I'm trying to get a Crota Normal CP first to get the Hunger before attempting hard. Hopefully. Most of the people here seemed to have run everything already haha. Damn snowmageddon

Steroyd

I'd like to start off by saying that I enjoy the Ahteon fight more than the Crota fight just for the fun factor alone and the fact it seems way less bullshit.

With that said, trying to convince me or anyone else that what's going on in Atheon is somehow complex is laughable. You kill 3 trash mobs inside and shoot inanimate objects within a certain time limit. You go outside and stand behind a protective barrier and shoot a basically inanimate object in the gut. If you're outside it's even worse. Stand on this thing and shoot 6 trash mobs until your buddies are back. Rinse and repeat.

Crota at the very least require much more precise timing (which isn't a great thing with P2P connections) and shifting to different areas of the playing field. People have assigned jobs ranging from sword, shieldbreakers and boomer patrol. Sure, they aren't all glamorous as the sword runner, but it's at least more difficult than killing trash mobs.

If you want to call one simple and the other complex I don't feel you're calling it straight.

EDIT: and the fact that defeating atheon with deaths in your fireteam is easier than crota should be an example of how little teamwork is actually needed.

O_O

Crota requires precise timing to the point a p2p connection is a bad idea because he's 1 level above the cap that's it, a team of 32's can struggle against level 30 Atheon if enough people think the relic is diseased for example.

The Crota fight is pretty much 5 people on Supplicant duty while only the relic holder can take health off Atheon, which is ass backwards from their original raid philosophy now that I think about it.

zewone

O_O

Crota requires precise timing to the point a p2p connection is a bad idea because he's 1 level above the cap that's it, a team of 32's can struggle against level 30 Atheon if enough people think the relic is diseased for example.

The Crota fight is pretty much 5 people on Supplicant duty while only the relic holder can take health off Atheon, which is ass backwards from their original raid philosophy now that I think about it.

Like I said, I prefer the Atheon fight to the Crota fight. Not actually being able to hurt the raid boss with your weapons was gimmicky at best and annoying at worst.

I meant no offense. If any was given, I apologize.

I just find it funny that people hold the Ahteon fight as some grandiose encounter when it's just as simple and even more so in my opinion than Crota, which everyone loves to crap on the design.

The random teleportation factor makes it more complicated in a sense. In Crota, you literally have 5 people with static jobs where you never get attacked, but you only attack others via rockets or sniper. Other than the beginning when killing everyone in the Crystal Room. And some when you get back to the Crystal Room after Ogres. But that's all. More than 1 person usually has to carry the relic, most people have a chance at both killing oracles and supplicants. And running around blindly potentially. There really isn't any static jobs.

zewone

The random teleportation factor makes it more complicated in a sense. In Crota, you literally have 5 people with static jobs where you never get attacked, but you only attack others via rockets or sniper. Other than the beginning when killing everyone in the Crystal Room. And some when you get back to the Crystal Room after Ogres. But that's all. More than 1 person usually has to carry the relic, most people have a chance at both killing oracles and supplicants. And running around blindly potentially. There really isn't any static jobs.

Well, random teleports was added later.

We could very well have the sword auto-equip to a random fireteam member when the sword bearer dies in a future patch.

My gf tried to play Destiny once, dropped her off in the Cosmodrome for Patrol and she kept looking at the sky or the ground. 2 analog sticks are a killer

O_O

testing the waters *shrugs*

Well, random teleports was added later.

We could very well have the sword auto-equip to a random fireteam member when the sword bearer dies in a future patch.

Yea but not too far later. Well before DLC hit.

It could but I can't see them adding that any longer. That would force people to actually be L32. Or people would just easily "drop" the sword right away and another would pick it up which would just save time from grabbing it where the swordbearer dies. So I can't see them adding that.

KxoZz

Yes, there is a trick. The propulsion is basically provided by the totem top opening slightly to let the player sink into the middle, then squeezing the player when it closes back up, shooting the player straight up.

1.) Get superman in position on top of the totem
2.) Another player stands on the middle plate for maybe ~2 seconds then jumps off
3.) Make sure that no one is standing on the same totem you are using as a catapult. You want the Annihilator to activate slightly which opens up the totem and lets the player sink into it (like pulling back a sling shot).
4.)The superman should ensure he doesn't get stuck on the totem top itself, and actually falls into it. You can tell it works because your gestures/dancing won't work.
5.) If the middle plate on/off is timed correctly.... ka-boooooom! We have lift off.

Ah. I think our problem was that I was standing on the plate for too long. Thanks! Will try again tomorrow or so to get it, looks hella fun.

zewone

Yea but not too far later. Well before DLC hit.

It could but I can't see them adding that any longer. That would force people to actually be L32. Or people would just easily "drop" the sword right away and another would pick it up which would just save time from grabbing it where the swordbearer dies. So I can't see them adding that.

I was mostly joking, but if they really wanted to they could say "So and so is marked by the swordbearers curse" and only the person can equip the sword.

Top Bottom