• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT16| Enrage is here, there, everywhere...

The actual Dying Light easter egg: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbFw9gX-7WY

The full popup text is "Your destiny is to build your legend (and get loot)"

lol. Don't think I'm gonna regret this purchase (not that $20 was a particularly high price to pay......)

Did you manage to grab it for 20 during the Gamestop fiasco? Lol I was upset I didn't get it but this game was never on my radar to be honest. Would of probably neglected it anyway

I was mostly joking, but if they really wanted to they could say "So and so is marked by the swordbearers curse" and only the person can equip the sword.

A lot of people thought they might make it random for who is the swordsman each time, which is a legitimate thought considering what they did with VoG. And yea that would alleviate that problem of dropping it. This will create a higher concentration of lag-induced bugs, yay! "Damnit nobody can pick up the sword!" and of course, higher probability of the sword disappearing haha.

I meant no offense. If any was given, I apologize.

I just find it funny that people hold the Ahteon fight as some grandiose encounter when it's just as simple and even more so in my opinion than Crota, which everyone loves to crap on the design.

I'm very hard to offend. I just don't want a conversation about a video game turning into something more than it needs to be.

Anyway, no big deal... moving on...

I don't find Atheon to be some grandiose encounter at all. I just think it necessitates more from each person, top to bottom. During a Crota encounter, half the time I find myself just watching the swordbearer and hoping he does his job.

I think we've all done the Atheon fight many times more than we've done Crota up to this point in time. Atheon may only seem trivial because we've done it so much. Maybe once we've spent months dealing with Crota, the level of triviality will be the same or more so. Guess we'll find out. One thing I can guarantee, I still won't have a Horn by then.

Steroyd

My point wasn't to make it seem like the Crota fight was complex. My point is that neither raid boss is overly complex but for nostalgic reasons maybe, people put the Atheon encounter on a pedestal.

EDIT: and having to fire rockets when a team member asks is more teamwork than Atheon requires. ;)

Disagree, if the portal team doesn't communicate and stick together, they go blind, they go blind they can't shoot oracles (no matter what level they are), can't shoot oracles it's an auto wipe for everyone, if the 3 people outside die for some reason, it's also an auto wipe.

There is no equivalent situation in Crota, if swordbearer dies, the team decides wether they've DPS'd Crota enough wether to bother to destroy the Oversoul or not, a manual wipe.

E92 M3

I must say, before TDB came out I hated fighting the Hive. Now it's a complete pleasure; not sure what changed but I love going through all of the Hive missions and killing everything. Fallen are still butt boring.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Did you manage to grab it for 20 during the Gamestop fiasco? Lol I was upset I didn't get it but this game was never on my radar to be honest. Would of probably neglected it anyway
Damnit Hawkian why didn't it work for me. I wanted it for $20 and I tried twice :(
Yeah, got tipped off in a Destiny fireteam PS Party wherein one person was actually playing Dying Light (we had to keep telling him to shut up spoiler-wise XD), tried it and it just worked, started installing immediately. Actually was planning to buy it anyway on PC, but this was too good a deal to pass up.

edit: hahaha, if you kill zombies for long enough in the cave it goes. "Enough! Patch 1.0.2 updated. Go do some quests" and they stop respawning. Well-played.... and damn, quick turnaround on including such an elaborate and topical easter egg.

edit: hahaha, if you kill zombies for long enough in the cave it goes. "Enough! Patch 1.0.2 updated. Go do some quests" and they stop respawning. Well-played.... and damn, quick turnaround on including such an elaborate and topical easter egg.

... you still haven't told me if they drop engrams...

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Wouldn't mind if you were a level 1. Just need somebody to tag along.

Add me Kadey1up and I'll get you or just join.

Jinjo

Got a Titan raid helm with Infusion and finally my Fang of Ir Yut though. Also got the raid-speeder ugh. Still need that Abyss Defiant though, but that's gotta wait 'till next week.

Boo. Hiss.

I feel like I'm the only person that doesn't like this boss.

You're not, don't worry.

If we're going to break down the fight to most basic fashion like how people are with Crota, Atheon:

People hide behind rock, only to fire when Templar shield is down. Rinse and repeat.

Fight can just be as broken as Crota glitch-wise as well.

What's the verdict on Monte Carlo?
Super useful if you have a low Strength stat, since it pretty much recharges melee every other kill. Bloom on Warlock and Discharge on Titan make for some nice chain-effects that can potentially reload your super really fast.

We're having a not so friendly competition over who can get all the exotics in the game. I'm just missing two. She's not even close to that.
You gotta let the lady win sometimes, your little Thunderlord will appreciate it.

Namikaze1

Super useful if you have a low Strength stat, since it pretty much recharges melee every other kill. Bloom on Warlock and Discharge on Titan make for some nice chain-effects that can potentially reload your super really fast.

You gotta let the lady win sometimes, your little Thunderlord will appreciate it.
She kicks my ass in Street Fighter, Yu-Gi-Oh!, Pokemon, Halo, Mortal Kombat, Dragon Ball Z, Naruto, Smash- lets just say she kicks my ass in a lot of games. I need this dammit!

rNilla

You're not, don't worry.

If we're going to break down the fight to most basic fashion like with Crota, Atheon:

People hide behind rock, only to fire when Templar shield is down. Rinse and repeat.

Fight can just be as broken as Crota glitch-wise as well.

Oh wait you have to shoot this bubble first. Now you can---oh he teleported. OK let's not let him this time---oh shit angry 'taurs!

I gotta gtfo from this thread or I will never get anything done, haha. Big ups to DGAF.

Or I'll come out and there's a ton of supplicants up. What were you doing the whole time?.

That's because people very frequently forget that Supplicants spawn during the entire fight and therefore must be controlled even during Time's Vengeance. Either that or 1-2 people have died which makes it tricky for the remaining member(s) to stay alive, activate the portal and also control supplicants.

In my VoG career, I've seen waaaay more Hunters default to using GGun on Atheon (why god why) instead of realizing how important it is for T's V supp control. Conclusive proof that Hunters are dum-dums (I kid, I kid).

There's substantially more room for error in Atheon

Hypothetically: using a LAN connection to ensure no latency, compare 5 Lv31s and 1 Lv32 with 331 max attack on HM Crota with 5 Lv28s and 1 Lv29 with 300 attack on HM Atheon. Or even worse, compare 5 Lv30s + 1 Lv33 on Crota vs. 5 Lv27s + 1 Lv30 on VoG. The 30 wants to grab the relic to better help clear adds, but those 27s are going to struggle on Oracles, especially if VoG weapon/armor perks were anywhere near as bad as CE ones. How many heavy synths would those teams go through. :p

Have people forgotten what it was like being under-leveled in HM VoG? #Forever29 was a huge Destiny meme mainly because of the poor loot tables but also because of how many groups struggled with even 1 or 2 non-30s.

this isn't at face value a good or bad thing, but can make the fight an order of magnitude less frustrating if lag or glitches get in the way of execution.

Lag is unavoidable for any online game, it's just a question of degree. It's so important to acknowledge that fact in the encounter design itself, especially with the lack of dedicated servers in Destiny and players from all around the world joining up. I would consider this not only good, but essential.

I mean how many countries are represented in this community here? It really, really bums me out that I feel like the only real "requirement" for a Crota team is no red bars (disclaimer: connection bars are not always reliable and not anyone's fault).

Starting to get the impression that I should feel bad about this :-/

Not the first time I've "gotten in trouble" for this, so to speak, and I certainly understand where people are coming from with this sentiment. Just remember that my posts only reflect the feelings of <<<---- that jerk over there (edit: long post is long, jerk is ^^^ and <<<), same as anyone else. The Crota design does seriously bother me but I am in no way suggesting it should be viewed the same by anyone else.

I've been advocating from the beginning that as many people as possible should run the sword. It's an absolute blast, easily one of the most fun things to do in Destiny. Your sword school is awesome for this! ...... But that's also the exact reason I dislike it so much: the disparity between teammates. Fun for one at the expense (imo) of everyone else since it's precisely the magnitude of responsibility that makes it so exciting. Few if any people (outside Gaf) are willing to keep wiping HM runs for new assassins to learn the tricks of the trade at this point, considering how many runs are already ruined by lag+glitches.

Which means these people are locked out of the most exciting part of the highest level PvE content until the next expansion releases and makes people less inclined to bother with older content anyway. This is the part that troubles me the most. The fact that HM CE is higher than the level cap tells us everything we need to know about which encounters are more mechanically complex.

zewone

Disagree, if the portal team doesn't communicate and stick together, they go blind, they go blind they can't shoot oracles (no matter what level they are), can't shoot oracles it's an auto wipe for everyone, if the 3 people outside die for some reason, it's also an auto wipe.

There is no equivalent situation in Crota, if swordbearer dies, the team decides wether they've DPS'd Crota enough wether to bother to destroy the Oversoul or not, a manual wipe.

If 3 people die in Crotas it's basically an auto-wipe as well. I don't see how that's team work.

Cleansing someone in the portals should just be someone's job. It's equivalent to taking down Crota's shields. If you miss a shield break attempt or take too long, it can throw off the timing for the spawns of Ogres and Swordbearer or get you close to Enrage. Any of those can stop you from clearing.

bitsurugi

So, my 11th HM Crota kill, still no Crux. Meanwhile, a friend of mine, by ''mistake'' joined uor group twice. 2nd time got the Crux.

So, um, yeah, i really hope next week does the trick.

On the other side, getting good with the bastard Crota, last 2 kills were done in about 15 mins altogether, gear swapping aside.

Random teleports don't bother me. I think it actually made this ridiculously simple fight, somewhat of a challenge.

The one fact that bothered me about random teleports was that Bungie tried to call it a "bug" instead of just straight up saying "You guys made our Hard raid look like a joke, so we're going to add a touch of artificial difficulty post-patch".

It was a bug. It was supposed to work just like the detain shields on the Templar. Random.

Starfire Protocol from 2nd NF. Glad I didn't buy it from Xur.

Other NF was the Sniper The Chosen with a shitty roll. Someone else got Gjallarhorn so RNG had to tease me a little bit more.

Mythoclast was hella fun on NF and Heroic Weekly.

Top Bottom