• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT16| Enrage is here, there, everywhere...

GhaleonEB

I'm having a lot of fun leveling my warlock. I've settled into a cadence of having my main (hunter) run the daily story missions and the weekly/nightfalls, while the warlock is slugging through the story missions. Engrams earned on the main are going to the vault, for the warlock to party with when I hit 20. I do all missions on hard, aiming for 1 level over my current; it feels like a cross between Heroic and Legendary in the Halo games: a good challenge, always tense, but seldom unfair.

Getting a loot drop, and having it be an upgrade that is instantly useful, and finding chests with useful gear, is something I missed from the endgame grind. I'll play through a couple missions and all my gear has cycled. I just reached that tipping point in the player abilities and gear progression where I go from working through encounters to dismantling them with style, and it's exhilarating. (I did a solo Warsat event on the moon last night at level 13, and got gold by the skin of my teeth. It was awesome.)

I think the 1-20 stretch might be the most consistently fun in the game. The endgame activities reach higher highs, but they're much more spread out. I'm honestly not sure which I prefer.

gatti-man

Uh oh...getting heated in here again. But seriously, what a crap Xur week. Although there's not really that much that I need anyways. Lack of heavy ammo synth doesn't really bother me that much, but I don't hate farming exclusion zone or strikes if necessary.

I just need to get my alt warlock to 32 and I think I'm done raiding so a lack of heavy ammo doesn't bother me much either. Just going to start preparing for the next dlc. I still really enjoy strikes, vog, and the pvp.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I don't even know what's going on in that clip... But someone died so epic sax is a go
irawr is just efficiently destroying an oracle.
People like to argue that Bungie is doing all they can but simple things like xur not selling heavy ammo or the fact that heavy ammo packs still sell for 1k glimmer just shows Bungie is ignoring player issues and handling things on their own schedule.
People have really tried to argue that? doing all they can? That's lunacy. I don't even know what all they can do would look like but yeah, there's no way.

Bungie is essentially doing effectively the minimum amount they can to retain a stable playerbase based on their metrics. Unfortunately for the people at the very top end of the bell curve, their metrics are telling them that people are still playing the shit out of their game. This is good news for the average player and good news for Bungie but bad news for anyone who wants to see substantial changes implemented in a timely manner.

In the last 24 hours, this thread, the game's 16th official, has generated roughly the same amount of activity as the entire Dying Light OT, a gaming side thread for a brand new release three days ago.
Our arguments are weakened by the fact that we still play and post about this game obsessively. Our complaints are kinda moot when ultimately they can count on us to keep playing and buying dlc. Once this thread slows to a crawl and people really do quit, maybe we'll see some changes.
That's some cold and merciless truth.

Or more accurately, it's not that our complaints are moot, so much as they feel like they're a lot more pressing to us than they do to the people in charge of fixing them. I don't think it's exactly true to say that Bungie doesn't care about the vocal complaints (though it is the case to some extent), but rather that they're looking at the allocation of resources based on the objective reality of what players are doing rather than what they are talking about. The fact that they're still talking about it is a net positive even if every line of discussion is a complaint.

If activity and playtime taper off dramatically (or especially if they plummet after a particular individual event), a big quality of life patch to reattract players will seem like a better investment of time.

spyder_ur

Good, VOG gave me nothing I didn't already have on HM. Awesome!!!

What are we supposed to do with ascendant shards now?

If the new DLC light system follows the old one, then you will need them for upgrading new vendor pieces of armor which will have higher light ratings then current CE raid gear. We'll see if they do it the same though.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I would join you but you're "Invite Only" 90% of the time. Open it brah

Only time I have it on invite only is if I'm playing on my vita or my GF is over (because I have to go afk a lot). Otherwise I always love playing with DGAF, even if it's just some standard bounties.

E92 M3

I'm having a lot of fun leveling my warlock. I've settled into a cadence of having my main (hunter) run the daily story missions and the weekly/nightfalls, while the warlock is slugging through the story missions. Engrams earned on the main are going to the vault, for the warlock to party with when I hit 20. I do all missions on hard, aiming for 1 level over my current; it feels like a cross between Heroic and Legendary in the Halo games: a good challenge, always tense, but seldom unfair.

Getting a loot drop, and having it be an upgrade that is instantly useful, and finding chests with useful gear, is something I missed from the endgame grind. I'll play through a couple missions and all my gear has cycled. I just reached that tipping point in the player abilities and gear progression where I go from working through encounters to dismantling them with style, and it's exhilarating. (I did a solo Warsat event on the moon last night at level 13, and got gold by the skin of my teeth. It was awesome.)

I think the 1-20 stretch might be the most consistently fun in the game. The endgame activities reach higher highs, but they're much more spread out. I'm honestly not sure which I prefer.

The end-game is basically a search for that high from a desired loot drop. The feeling of getting what you want from a drop is unsurpassed - the problem is actually playing through the frustration of not getting it.

gatti-man

People have really tried to argue that? doing all they can? That's lunacy. I don't even know what all they can do would look like but yeah, there's no way.

Bungie is essentially doing effectively the minimum amount they can to retain a stable playerbase based on their metrics. Unfortunately for the people at the very top end of the bell curve, their metrics are telling them that people are still playing the shit out of their game. This is good news for the average player and good news for Bungie but bad news for anyone who wants to see substantial changes implemented in a timely manner.

In the last 24 hours, this thread, the game's 16th official, has generated roughly the same amount of activity as the entire Dying Light OT, a gaming side thread for a brand new release three days ago.

Or more accurately, it's not that our complaints are moot, so much as they feel like they're a lot more pressing to us than they do to the people in charge of fixing them. I don't think it's exactly true to say that Bungie doesn't care about the vocal complaints (though it is the case to some extent), but rather that they're looking at the allocation of resources based on the objective reality of what players are doing rather than what they are talking about. The fact that they're still talking about it is a net positive even if every line of discussion is a complaint.

If activity and playtime taper off dramatically (or especially if they plummet after a particular individual event), a big quality of life patch to reattract players will seem like a better investment of time.

Im not even exaggerating. There are tons of posts that buy into Bungies excuse that these bugs are buried in code and take 4 months to fix. Or my personal favorite "the game isn't designed for just you its designed for everyone". Ok yeah so fuck me right?

I'm a little bummed out that the Crota raid doesn't drop any void heavy weapons :(

Still using corrective measure, is there a good vanguard/crucible void heavy weapon that I could use?
My Warlock has a Prestige IV (New Monarchy drop) with some pretty good talents: Persistence | Flared Magwell | Reactive Reload with and 87 round mag. Love it.

Yesterday I had an Against All Odds drop that I haven't used yet. It has some pretty amazing talents, though: Spray and Play | Hammer Forged | Surplus (find more ammo). Impact is really high, so I'm looking forward to trying it out on my Titan.

e Dying Light OT, a gaming side thread for a brand new release three days ago.

How are you liking Dying Light so far? I am on the fence about it (with Destiny and all being my favorite child). I don't need a full review... just a couple sentences on your overall thoughts or whatever...

feel free to do a longer review as well... you know I'll read it.

Lima

I'm a little bummed out that the Crota raid doesn't drop any void heavy weapons :(

Still using corrective measure, is there a good vanguard/crucible void heavy weapon that I could use?

If you can get the Harms Way mg to drop with void and field scout it's exactly like Corrective Measure stat wise but with 331 attack. Long shot I know.

What I wonder is if Bungie believes all of the negativity surrounding the gas me, especially from its most active players, will not hurt potential sales of the franchise going forward. Because for me, Destiny has the potential to be a hallmark gaming franchise, possibly the next WoW (though probably just 75% at best). But Destiny launched unfinished, and the post launch support has been frustrating that I can't help but feel Destiny 2 would have show so spectacularly well for it to come close to selling as much as Destiny 1, let alone eclipse it.

I have almost every exotic in the game. I have played so much, and met some cool people. But at this point, I'd almost be surprised to get Destiny 2 because Bungie has not shown the willingness or capability to improve the small but important things in Destiny.

Why would I, or anybody, believe Bungie can make Destiny 2 markedly better?

LordofPwn

If crota doesn't enrage after 14 smashes (R2) but does after 13 and a super his enrage is between 214,214 - 216,914 damage we'll say the point of which he enrages is after 215,000. unless he does enrage after 14 in which case it's 210,000. I still have his HP at 262,500.

So using Double Bubble Trouble™ you only need 4 downs with 2 swords to kill crota.

Here's me running sword as a warlock doing Double Bubble Trouble™
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SH9z008H9Vc
we essentially do it with 2.5 swords.

spyder_ur

What I wonder is if Bungie believes all of the negativity surrounding the gas me, especially from its most active players, will not hurt potential sales of the franchise going forward. Because for me, Destiny has the potential to be a hallmark gaming franchise, possibly the next WoW (though probably just 75% at best). But Destiny launched unfinished, and the post launch support has been frustrating that I can't help but feel Destiny 2 would have show so spectacularly well for it to come close to selling as much as Destiny 1, let alone eclipse it.

I have almost every exotic in the game. I have played so much, and met some cool people. But at this point, I'd almost be surprised to get Destiny 2 because Bungie has not shown the willingness or capability to improve the small but important things in Destiny.

I don't totally disagree with your sentiments, but I don't think you can really call the game 'unfinished'. I think we should be careful with that term and I don't think Destiny applies personally. Limited? Yes. Frustrating? Sometimes.

I also think we should be reasonable about the issue of post-launch support. Bungie not doing the things you want them to do is not the same as not supporting the game. That distinction seems important to me.

gatti-man

Why would I, or anybody, believe Bungie can make Destiny 2 markedly better?

Just adding a story would make destiny 2 hugely better. Double the weapon variety, add real boss variety and actual AI increases in difficulty. These are things I realistically hope for. I still expect the same expensive dlc model and pushing of dlc.

LiK

Just adding a story would make destiny 2 hugely better. Double the weapon variety, add real boss variety and actual AI increases in difficulty. These are things I realistically hope for. I still expect the same expensive dlc model and pushing of dlc.

the Vendors need some goddamn personality

The end-game is basically a search for that high from a desired loot drop. The feeling of getting what you want from a drop is unsurpassed - the problem is actually playing through the frustration of not getting it.

Then what's the point of Xur? I agree with what you're saying btw. Just think Xur kind of ruins that feeling when you by something you always wanted instead of it dropping for you

LTWood12

If you can get the Harms Way mg to drop with void and field scout it's exactly like Corrective Measure stat wise but with 331 attack. Long shot I know.

I actually got one of those from a Nightfall last month. Fantastic gun, and even better since I can't ever seem to get Corrective Measure to drop. It's the only VoG weapon I'm missing. Gotten multiple of everything else.

I had a void one drop for me with field scout. Pretty much same as corrective measure. Doesn't have "expect to find more ammo" perk though

Vision of Confluence finally dropped. I don't care that it is a 300 weapon. I am using it dammit. Been waiting forever for this gun.

Was using it last night for the first time in a long time. I love the fang but the VoC is just beautiful. Full auto is awesome and I like the sights on it a lot more than the fang's. And yeah Full auto gets stuck once In a while but it works 99% of the time.

I'm really impressed that you can stomach the "story" on the 2nd time around.

I don't totally disagree with your sentiments, but I don't think you can really call the game 'unfinished'. I think we should be careful with that term and I don't think Destiny applies personally. Limited? Yes. Frustrating? Sometimes.

I also think we should be reasonable about the issue of post-launch support. Bungie not doing the things you want them to do is not the same as not supporting the game. That distinction seems important to me.

It's all relative. A game with content that isn't in a working state is unfinished. A game that is severely lacking in content, to me, can still be considered unfinished. I've been playing since launch, so some of the updates crystallize that systems in the game were initially just there.

As far as post launch support, I have to strongly disagree. The game, especially in the raids, have had a laughable amount of bugs and glitches. Many of them still persist, some of which have become apparent since other bugs have been fixed. And it's not a case of Bungie isn't updating the game like I want them to, Bungie is taking to long to address obvious and valid issues the game has or simply ignoring them. If the game had a lot more content, or the content was less buggy, the issues wouldn't be nearly as bad. But each problem, each bug, each longstanding "fixable" issue the game has is compounded by the poor communication or lack thereof.

We can debate whether or not Destiny was unfinished when it shipped. But I have a hard time believing one could argue that their post game support hasn't been awful.

E92 M3

Then what's the point of Xur? I agree with what you're saying btw. Just think Xur kind of ruins that feeling when you by something you always wanted instead of it dropping for you

Xur is great for a guaranteed way to get exotics and you are right, randoms drop are very satisfying compared to buying. With that said, I was speaking with a bias towards raid loot.

Wow I am the complete opposite. I only recently made a 2nd character because having to slog through the "campaign" was something I did not wish to repeat. It took me like 2 straight days, and it was brutal. I even skipped the last two story missions because I had already gotten to 20 by then. I don't see myself doing it again any time soon

Xur is great for a guaranteed way to get exotics and you are right, randoms drop are very satisfying compared to buying. With that said, I was speaking with a bias towards raid loot.

Xur is a good way to guarantee exotics but maybe he should have a selection of gear that you can only get from him. Like the weapons you can only get from exotic weapon bounties

Sure, but Bungie has had (and still does) an opportunity to do these things in DLC and the expected Comet expansion. If after all of this Bungie hasn't shown they can tell a decent story in Destiny, why would I think they suddenly could in Destiny 2? If they can't add in more varied guns and gameplay mechanics, why would I think they can by Destiny 2? If they can't prove that they can create unique looking bosses and more unique gameplay mechanics, why would I think they can with Destiny 2?

Bungie needs to prove they are capable of doing the many things fans want/expect in Destiny 2. I'm not going to assume they will figure it out. Fortunately they are in a position where they can prove they are capable of doing these things and more of they do it in their upcoming DLC and Comet expansion. But I'm no longer giving them the benefit of the doubt, and I don't think anybody else should.

Top Bottom