• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT20| HoW Comes, No Raid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
I'll be available to help.

Thanks dude!

That's two! Gf has the TV for a while and we're vegging out for a bit, so if I'm online it'll be just grinding via remote play, but I'll give you a shout later!

That goes for anyone else too!

Normal vault of glass

I don't care about the story either.

I remember very little about the story in Halo, but I remember a lot about the fun encounters and how they went.

I played halo 1-3 and honestly couldn't tell you anything about the story. I never understand why people said it was such a good story compared to destiny. When in my opinion neither game has much of a story but they do have lots of lore.

I have 3 hunters, so just for one class :p

I use my other two hunter alts to get my main hunter gear quickly.

Haha I use to do the same thing before The Dark Below dropped, I highly suggest making the two other classes. It is nice to switch and the grind isn't that bad since Bungie fixed loot dropping for the raid encounters.

I played halo 1-3 and honestly couldn't tell you anything about the story. I never understand why people said it was such a good story compared to destiny. When in my opinion neither game has much of a story but they do have lots of lore.

The problem is that people are comparing the story of Halo, Halo 2, Halo 3, Halo ODST, Halo: Reach, and in some cases the extended universe, to Destiny.

When what they should be doing is comparing Destiny to Halo 1 by itself. The comparison is much much closer.

Impala26

arrghhhhhhh.... *EXPLODES*

GutZ31

Its the hipster argument of "Oh, the game? No, I mean the book!".

Halo had a bunch of books to fill people in about everything that game just completely neglected to tell you.

Thank you FRENDEN! :D Never had a Conduit before. but i'm really doing it for the XP anyway. Nice clean kill.

Grats guts!

I disagree simply because I prefer having a wide variety of disparate enemies to fight, and that's way more important to me than anything related to the story or plot.

I don't come here for the narrative, friends!

quality > quantity. There isn't really much variety because they've spread themselves between the enemy types. There are only marginal differences between the 4 races, but they otherwise fight and behave the same way.

Tthe story portion of Destiny is next to irrelevant because there's no investment - no attachment or believable motivation - behind any of the races or their involvement in these battles. All the game tells you is that they are evil and want our shit. And we just suddenly decide to help? No, that doesn't happen. I just woke up after God knows how long and it ain't my problem that you got a bunch of aliens knocking on your door.

Are the Fallen just a bunch of dull scavengers, or are they the warriors who have stolen our technology and driven us out of our cities? I don't know, all I see them do is stand around in old buildings. If the first half of the game focused on them, we would have been able to see why they're bad guys for ourselves. This would allow the game to ship with more locations per planet and an actual coherent story line that expands upon the uniqueness of the factions that occupy those worlds.

Each expansion afterwards would add a new planet - The Dark Below would have added the moon, and then the Hive would slowly start trickling onto Earth. The worlds would completely change every time and we'd really get a sense that things were evolving. Players would be able to discuss among themselves about a time "when the Hive were not on Earth".

Bungie made the mistake of dropping us in the middle of all of this. The prequel for Destiny would be a more interesting story than this current timeline because nothing is really happening right now. "Oh no, the Blades of Crota are invading?" Cool story, I kill one knight and then I get a sword. Now if the entire Hive were invading Earth with seeder ships appearing left and right, then maybe I'd go "Oh shit, I need to do something about this."

The game doesn't simply need more enemies and patrol spaces. It needs better content - things that make sense and allow players to invest themselves into what's happening. Nobody really cares about why they're grinding a bunch of aliens because there's no reason to. Everything is detatched, disconnected, and the exact opposite of compelling. Bungie is lying to themselves every time they mention "story".

daedalius

Halo has an amazing narrative compared to destiny.

The lore in destiny seems pretty cool by comparison. Grimoire cards ftw.

I also came here to ask, how much better is Thunderlord than my Swarm w/ Surplus and Hammer forged? I already bought Thunderlord, so I guess its a bit beside the point...

GutZ31

quality > quantity. There isn't really much variety because they've spread themselves between the enemy types. There are only marginal differences between the 4 races, but they otherwise fight and behave the same way.

the story portion of destiny is next to irrelevant because there's no investment - not attachment or believable motivation - behind any of the races or their involvement in these battles.

are the fallen just a bunch of dull scavengers, or are they the warriors who have stolen our technology and driven us out of our cities? if the first half of the game focused on them, we would have been able to see that for ourselves. this would allow the game to ship with more locations per planet and an actual coherent story line that expands upon the uniqueness of the factions that occupy those worlds.

each expansion afterwards would add a new planet - the dark below would have added the moon, and then the hive would slowly start trickling onto earth. the worlds would completely change every time and we'd really get a sense that things were evolving. players would be able to discuss among themselves about a time "when the hive were not on earth".

Bungie made the mistake of dropping us in the middle of all of this. The prequel for Destiny would be a more interesting story than this current timeline because nothing is really happening right now.

The game doesn't simply need more enemies and patrol spaces. It needs better content - things that make sense and allow players to invest themselves into what's happening. Nobody really cares about why they're grinding a bunch of aliens because there's no reason to. Everything is detatched, disconnected, and the exact opposite of compelling. Bungie is lying to themselves every time they mention "story".

I, for one, would welcome a fight with a house full of wolves.

Namikaze1

Huh. I never maxed out my Felwinter's Lie. Well, time to change that.

Thanks dude!

That's two! Gf has the TV for a while and we're vegging out for a bit, so if I'm online it'll be just grinding via remote play, but I'll give you a shout later!

That goes for anyone else too!

Normal vault of glass
We actually have 4. :)

Just two more and you got a team.

I'd be down for that. I am hoping to be home in a couple hours so that should work. I have checkpoints at the NM Gorgon chest and the Gatekeeper if such a need were to arise.

I'll be playing at around 11-12pm BST.

Deku Tree

the story portion of destiny is next to irrelevant because there's no investment - not attachment or believable motivation - behind any of the races or their involvement in these battles.

are the fallen just a bunch of dull scavengers, or are they the warriors who have stolen our technology and driven us out of our cities? if the first half of the game focused on them, we would have been able to see that for ourselves. this would allow the game to ship with more locations per planet and an actual coherent story line that expands upon the uniqueness of the factions that occupy those worlds.

each expansion afterwards would add a new planet - the dark below would have added the moon, and then the hive would slowly start trickling onto earth. the worlds would completely change every time and we'd really get a sense that things were evolving. players would be able to discuss among themselves about a time "when the hive were not on earth".

Bungie made the mistake of dropping us in the middle of all of this. The prequel for Destiny would be a more interesting story than this current timeline because nothing is really happening right now.

But.... The goal is to create something fans are so passionate about that it surpasses even Halo.

"We like to tell big stories and we want people to put the Destiny universe on the same shelf they put Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter or Star Wars; we've already seen they do that with Halo.

Ophelion

It was a pretty bare bones story, but it was an actual story with main characters, a conflict that gets resolved and places I could point to as being a beginning, middle and end.

Which is a whole lot more than I can say for Destiny.

Like, for Halo's story to be on par with Destiny, Cortana would have to stop explaining everything, they'd have to never tell you what a Halo even does and end the first game with the "finish this fight" ending of Halo 2.

I love this game, but as far as plot goes its like a really violent Animal Crossing. Where did your character come from? Where is he going? Who cares, do tasks and buy things, stupid.

Kal_El

Yeah do NOT do that. There will be no need to lose any progress. Of course if it's a completely unupgraded exotic in the right place, feel free to exchange it for the straight damage buff, but if you've invested anything in it just hang onto it.

Crota Grimoire card:
"Those who trade in Hive lore bicker over the exact positioning of Crota—is his world the apex of Hive power, or is it the youngest and most accessible of a string of netherworlds, each host to a more terrible Hive archentity?

The nature and possible interrelationship of the Vex gate system with Hive netherworlds remains unexplored."

Interesting.

Oh how I wish that we could read these in game. I think the lore is great but i'm not vested in it just yet. I do think that Old Accra is Old Chicago. Just an uneducated guess.

The problem is that people are comparing the story of Halo, Halo 2, Halo 3, Halo ODST, Halo: Reach, and in some cases the extended universe, to Destiny.

When what they should be doing is comparing Destiny to Halo 1 by itself. The comparison is much much closer.

Maybe it's nostalgia, but I liked that you were dropped into an alien environment that looked a bit like home, but turned out to be a huge space station. You then find out that it's a race to the end against a militarized alien race that didn't know much more about the ring than you did. Eventually you realized that it's infested with a third bug/zombie like race, and the whole space station is a doomsday device.

I still can't tell you what Destiny is about.

It had some nice supporting cut scenes, and unfolded at nice pace. It had a good balance between cut scenes and Cortana explaining things during the action. I thought her dialogue was way better than Dinklebot's both in writing and voice acting.

Deku Tree

Oh yeah... and where is Old Chicago?

1000px-Old_Chicago.jpg

Impala26

I love this game, but as far as plot goes its like a really violent Animal Crossing. Where did your character come from? Where is he going? Who cares, do tasks and buy things, stupid.

This is the most succinct and honest statement I've read about Destiny, period.
10/10

Maybe they didn't want to be so similar to Halo 1.

Fallen = Covenant
Vex = Flood "the real enemies"

Even if they basically reskinned Halo 1, it still would have been a better story than what we got.

Oh yeah... and where is Old Chicago?

1000px-Old_Chicago.jpg

This and Old Russia should have been the first two locations in the game. They're probably going to give us Old Chicago in Comet, but by then it wont really matter. It'll just be more Fallen and more bounties to kill Fallen hiding out over there. And none of it will have any impact on the narrative.

Did anything we do in The Dark Below change the game currently? NOPE! The "ever evolving world" is exactly the same as it was before TDB, except now there's a new Vendor in the tower.

Bungie had 5 years to write this shit and I really just don't understand why they didn't get it right.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I disagree, but that's fine. I'm looking for different things out of the game.

so greg figured out ow to raise the spire. he brought some friends too!
well its about time greg, we dont expect much from you but what we paying you for!
back to the prison of elders with you.

I disagree, but that's fine. I'm looking for different things out of the game.

yeah I disagree as well. I think all the enemies in the game behave differntly as well as the enemies. Vex are very robotic and will just blindly walk towards you firing. they dont seem to have any life preservation.

where as fallen are quick and agile for most part and will seek cover if thier under fire.

Hive behave very much liking swarming insect. they rely on numbers as opposed to any stategic fighting.

I think there is a wolrd of differnces between races in this game.

Maybe it's nostalgia, but I liked that you were dropped into an alien environment that looked a bit like home, but turned out to be a huge space station. You then find out that it's a race to the end against a militarized alien race that didn't know much more about the ring than you did. Eventually you realized that it's infested with a third bug/zombie like race, and the whole space station is a doomsday device.

I still can't tell you what Destiny is about.

It had some nice supporting cut scenes, and unfolded at nice pace. It had a good balance between cut scenes and Cortana explaining things during the action. I thought her dialogue was way better than Dinklebot's both in writing and voice acting.

I always felt this was a good watch regarding the story of Destiny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06iceG8QnNE

One of the things I noticed was that the side quests (or missions that aren't necessary to complete the game) are bigger distractions from the story than anything. They break up the game so that you don't realize what all is happening.

In the video above he plays through and talks about only the necessary story missions. It makes it a bit more interesting. Not great by any means, but coherent.

Jinjo

So does PoE reward multiple times in a week or is it just the once too? Since you're mostly limited to what's on offer anyway from that Fallen vendor.

Is there a list of known new exotics yet too? (With their abilities?) Haven't heard of new ps4-exclusive exotics this time around?

So does PoE reward multiple times in a week or is it just the once too? Since you're mostly limited to what's on offer anyway from that Fallen vendor.

Is there a list of known new exotics yet too? (With their abilities?) Haven't heard of new ps4-exclusive exotics this time around?

you can run each difficulty once each week for rewards. they also dont appear to be tied to each other so you can probably run the hardest 1st and finish off the lower level ones later and still get gear. you can however run the level 28 version as much as you wwant fro rewards. but it appears to be the same as roc strikes. unless I missed something on the rewards screen

Deku Tree

Apparently no PS exclusive exotics, or strikes, but one PS exclusive PvP map that looks good. There seem to be exotics that we don't yet know about... like an exotic sniper that we saw today in the new video. Probably all the new stuff will be datemined on Tuesday after the 1.2 update.

PoE has four difficulty levels

level 28 with MM and ROC strike level repeating reward

Level 32 without MM and an Armor Core as a reward
Level 34 without MM and a Weapon Core and Etheric Light
Level 35 without MM and Armor Core and Weapon Core and Etheric Light

I think all levels also have other rewards. The rewards have weekly lockouts. And The current speculation is that doing the higher levels do not give you the lower level rewards and you can do all of them and get rewards from each.

VERY LATE EDIT: oh also each of levels 32, 34, 35 have different modifiers and possibly different bosses each week so they're not "exactly the same just higher level scaling."

Kyne

Lvl 28 PoE works like roc strikes. 32, 34, and 35 you can run once a week for the special rewards.

Edit: beaten with a much better explanation :c

Apparently no PS exclusive exotics, or strikes, but one PS exclusive PvP map that looks good. There seem to be exotics that we don't yet know about... like an exotic sniper that we saw today in the new video. Probably all the new stuff will be datemined on Tuesday after the 1.2 update.

PoE has four difficulty levels

level 28 with MM and ROC strike level repeating reward

Level 32 without MM and an Armor Core as a reward
Level 34 without MM and a Weapon Core and Etheric Light
Level 35 without MM and Armor Core and Weapon Core and Etheric Light

I think all levels also have other rewards. The rewards have weekly lockouts. And The current speculation is that doing the higher levels do not give you the lower level rewards and you can do all of them and get rewards from each.

What is an armor/weapon core?

Ophelion

Probably spent too much time trying to define "mythic sci fi" genre conventions. If you watch the GDC 2014 talk it's literally all they go on about..

I kind of feel like they underestimated what people would expect from it.

In a way, a lot of my problems with Destiny's story are derived from it being a Sci-Fi world trying to play by Fantasy story tropes.

If you were in a full on magic world and they said you were up against The Darkness and you're fighting demons and monsters and shit...well, ok. The Traveler, I'd just assume is some kind of god. Fine, whatever. A mythic Collapse of civilization happened eons ago? Ok.

But because it is a Sci-Fi world, despite all its Fantasy trappings, I want more answers than I might otherwise. Fantasy has always been about faith, but Sci-Fi...well "science" is in the genre title. It demands answers. Specificity. You don't have provide that up front, but if you don't think an audience isn't going to cotton on to the fact that you're making shit up as you go, that you don't know what the fuck you're talking about, you're a fool.

Nothing about Destiny makes me think it's just a world where magic is real. It seems more like a place where Clarke's Third Law (which would be a great name for a Warlock item now that I think about it...) is pulling multiple shifts and demanding overtime pay.

And I personally don't mind making up my own answers. I'm a writer. I do that for fun. Not everyone is into that kind of thing though.

Impala26

Probably spent too much time trying to define "mythic sci fi" genre conventions. If you watch the GDC 2014 talk it's literally all they go on about..

Joe Staten, Bungie's lead cinematic director leaving the company in September 2013 probably had a big part of this. Most of the story (not lore) we see today I'm wagering was only written in about the final year/months of the game's development.

Wasn't the Queen's D-bag brother originally called "Crow" and wasn't there some plot involving non-guardians, including the Exo Stranger, that sort of formed a ragtag group of their own to fight darkness threats?

the tone of the game definitely evolved and it's understandable if it took them some time to settle into the style they felt would suit the game.

but the narrative they chose to run with is textbook "last minute draft", scrapped together from bits and pieces that had a beginning and end but no way to tie them together.

somebody should have noticed early on that there was an inherent problem with the way the story was being written that was preventing it from materializing.

Bungie had 5 years to write this shit and I really just don't understand why they didn't get it right.

Bungie did what Bungie always does. They bite off way more than they can chew. Every game they have ever made involved them having these insane grand ideas that sound absolutely amazing on paper.

Then development comes along and it's like, "Whoa whoa whoa, we've got to build all of this? Fuck, alright then."

Then about a year before release they realize, "Shit we're in way too deep here. We need to go into salvage mode and figure out what bits and pieces we can use, and what absolutely needs to be done for launch."

This is the story of every Bungie game since Halo. (I'm unfamiliar with the Marathon days to know if they are similar)

The only exception to this might be Reach, and I believe that would have a lot to do with Bungie knowing that their time with Halo was limited.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
The ways Halo's story is superior to Destiny's are numerous. Mainly, though, it had meaningful plot development, mile stones, exciting events, and a great plot twist. I don't have the time to go into this in full right now, but this isn't even an argument in my opinion. Halo is heads and shoulders superior to Destiny when it comes to story.

A new currency to buy gear from the poe vendor

Hey... we're getting rid of commendations...

Hey... we're introducing yet another currency you'll have to grind for.

Ugh.

Are you kidding? I'll take a weapon/armor core any day of the week compared to farming raid bosses for weeks on end still trying to get my Fatebringer/Black Hammer/Warlock Chest piece.

Token systems are far superior to random drops. I dare you to argue otherwise.

Edit: You realize this is the alternative to RNG. And we all know how we feel about RNG.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
mechanical gameplay variation, for me it feels very different to fight a phalanx versus a wizard versus an ogre versus a fallen walker. I liked that all of them were included in the game at launch to kill, and I care very, very little about the in-universe reasons I'm supposed to be doing so. At this point I am unconvinced Bungie can do anything to get me legitimately invested in those reasons, and they aren't what compel me to play. The narrative in the Halo games was considerably stronger and I felt exactly the same way about it nonetheless. In my opinion it simply isn't their strong suit and isn't why I play their games.

I completely agree on that. I have invested much more time on Destiny than I did the Halo games. But I still completed the story (multiple times for 2 and 3) and played a helluva lot of MP. But both stories are completely forgettable in my opinion.

Halo has an amazing narrative compared to destiny.

The lore in destiny seems pretty cool by comparison. Grimoire cards ftw.

I honestly could not tell you much of anything about the story or narrative. It may well be amazing compared to destiny. But it's not exactly difficult to be better than something that has a practically non-existent narrative. I just had a lot of fun shooting the covenant (less fun with the flood, urgh that library level almost ruined the game).

It was a pretty bare bones story, but it was an actual story with main characters, a conflict that gets resolved and places I could point to as being a beginning, middle and end.

Which is a whole lot more than I can say for Destiny.

Like, for Halo's story to be on par with Destiny, Cortana would have to stop explaining everything, they'd have to never tell you what a Halo even does and end the first game with the "finish this fight" ending of Halo 2.

Not disagreeing with you on destinys lack of story. I just think that halos was not all that memorable as I can recall very little of it. Yet I can recall some epic shootouts. Destiny I can recall it because it is fresh in my mind and I've done them to death and then some. But it's not exactly memorable is it.

When I bought Halo 2, I didn't get it for the story. I got it to do more of that great minute to minute combat that I got out of Halo.

Deku Tree

Are you kidding? I'll take a weapon/armor core any day of the week compared to farming raid bosses for weeks on end still trying to get my Fatebringer/Black Hammer/Warlock Chest piece.

Token systems are far superior to random drops. I dare you to argue otherwise.

It sounds like if you have a bunch of Armor/Weapon cores sitting around that you don't want to spend them on what is for sale then you can buy a "Judgement Chance" thing for one of each and take a roll at a random PoE reward though.

raindoc

So my oldest boy who is almost 9 has been playing solo for the most part. His armor is all blue and maxed out at lvl 25. He's home sick from school today. Anyone want to help me Sherpa him through VOG? Total fun run.

Late reply, but if you still need someone on PS4, send me an invite. PSN ID = GAF username.

Impala26

The ways Halo's story is superior to Destiny's are numerous. Mainly, though, it had meaningful plot development, mile stones, exciting events, and a great plot twist. I don't have the time to go into this in full right now, but this isn't even an argument in my opinion. Halo is heads and shoulders superior to Destiny when it comes to story.

So what you're saying is you don't even have time to uh... explain?
/kappa

GhaleonEB

Hey... we're getting rid of commendations...

Hey... we're introducing yet another currency you'll have to grind for.

Ugh.

It's a better mechanic than that. Armor / weapon cores drop in PoE, and you then trade them in at the vendor the weapon or armor item of your choice. So there's some RNG in when you get them, but not in what you purchase with them. (The vendor has a weekly rotating stock, so if you get a core and had your eye on some awesome weapon he carries...just wait and you'll get it when it turns up; no more praying to RNGesus for it.)

It sounds like if you have a bunch of Armor/Weapon cores sitting around that you don't want to spend them on what is for sale then you can buy a "Judgement Chance" thing for one of each and take a roll at a random PoE reward though.

I think that's just because Variks doesn't sell all weapons/armor at 1 time, and rotates through them.

Deku Tree

It's a better mechanic than that. Armor / weapon cores drop in PoE, and you then trade them in at the vendor the weapon or armor item of your choice. So there's some RNG in when you get them, but not in what you purchase with them. (The vendor has a weekly rotating stock, so if you get a core and had your eye on some awesome weapon he carries...just wait and you'll get it when it turns up; no more praying to RNGesus for it.)

I thought that the Armor Core was a guaranteed drop from Level 32 and Level 35 PoE, and the Weapon core was a guaranteed drop from Level 34 and Level 35 PoE... so no RNG to get them. Right?

There is however uncertainty around what will be the stock of the HoJ vendor guy each week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom