• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT20| HoW Comes, No Raid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didnt the lead writer or some important person in bungie quit when the release was pretty close? Could explain why its such a mess.

joe staten left bungie in september 2013. the bits and pieces of the story at that time that were put together painted a very different picture. we'll probably never know how it might have wound up.

Impala26

Didnt the lead writer or some important person in bungie quit when the release was pretty close? Could explain why its such a mess.

As I mentioned earlier, Joe Staten, lead cinematics director and one of the lead writers at Bungie for nearly 15 years, left the company in September 2013. It either causes the mess of a story we see now, or he decided to leave BECAUSE of the state it's in.

I highly suspect that he was crafting a more player/story driven akin to Halo or Mass Effect's story but Jason Jones and others (Activision?) wanted a more open-ended more loosely-defined experience based on how the meta-game is built.

Hold circle to skip this cutscene.

Boom.

But yeah it's more than just cutscenes. Set pieces man. Gaming side threads give this game a lot of shit about "Ghost opens door while you fight horde then go fight sponge with infinite ads" and the sad part is...they're right. That's literally every single mission and strike. Every last one.

There's no "protect x". No "capture that". No "escape this before it blows!" No nothing. I mean imagine the possibilities this game's setting, lore, engine and mechanics could offer mission variety. All of this could further be used to drive a more detailed story. Shit let me go after a rogue Guardian and question him or take an enemy prisoner or let me see some damn aftermath from a mission.

Oh you stopped a ritual draining the Traveler's energy? Don't take me to orbit damn it. Take me to a cutscene with Ikora explaining what this changes and why it's important and giving me a sense of purpose to go on to the next mission. That would be an actual campaign. I won't give a shit about that cutscene the next million times I play that mission for bounties or Daily Heroic but it would still have changed the very nature of the game's campaign and would have cut the game's deserves negative reception by a lot.

You guys are driving on all cylinders today with these posts.
Here I thought DGAF was more or less a glorified LFG message board.
Kudos to yinz.

Deku Tree

Hold circle to skip this cutscene.

Boom.

But yeah it's more than just cutscenes. Set pieces man. Gaming side threads give this game a lot of shit about "Ghost opens door while you fight horde then go fight sponge with infinite ads" and the sad part is...they're right. That's literally every single mission and strike. Every last one.

There's no "protect x". No "capture that". No "escape this before it blows!" No nothing. I mean imagine the possibilities this game's setting, lore, engine and mechanics could offer mission variety. All of this could further be used to drive a more detailed story. Shit let me go after a rogue Guardian and question him or take an enemy prisoner or let me see some damn aftermath from a mission.

Oh you stopped a ritual draining the Traveler's energy? Don't take me to orbit damn it. Take me to a cutscene with Ikora explaining what this changes and why it's important and giving me a sense of purpose to go on to the next mission. That would be an actual campaign. I won't give a shit about that cutscene the next million times I play that mission for bounties or Daily Heroic but it would still have changed the very nature of the game's campaign and would have cut the game's deserves negative reception by a lot.

Yeah Destiny is basically a flat world shooter with only minor vehicle combat. I was disappointed in the lack of mission variety in that respect.

daedalius

As I mentioned earlier, Joe Staten, lead cinematics director and one of the lead writers at Bungie for nearly 15 years, left the company in September 2013. It either causes the mess of a story we see now, or he decided to leave BECAUSE of the state it's in.

I highly suspect that he was crafting a more player/story driven akin to Halo or Mass Effect's story but Jason Jones and others (Activision?) wanted a more open-ended more loosely-defined experience based on how the meta-game is built.

You guys are driving on all cylinders today with these posts.
Here I thought DGAF was more or less a glorified LFG message board.
Kudos to yinz.

As much as I love shooting aliens (or other Spartans in other games) with friends, I'd love Destiny to have a story/universe I gave a shit about, it would make me more invested.

And if you don't care about the story, well that's fine too, but there are plenty of people that do.

Also, let me skip the terrible cutscenes when they are in the daily. Please!

Ophelion

As much as I love shooting aliens (or other Spartans in other games) with friends, I'd love Destiny to have a story/universe I gave a shit about, it would make me more invested.

And if you don't care about the story, well that's fine too, but there are plenty of people that do.

Also, let me skip the terrible cutscenes when they are in the daily. Please!

For cutscenes that happen at the end of a mission, you can go to orbit once the objective is complete but before the counter counts all the way down. No cutscene.

As for the one or two that happen, mid-mission. I got nothin'.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
there aren't even really any "break your way into this mysterious place where new enemies are" missions. the introduction of the Vex in particular is so bizarrely staged, I could go on for six hours about it.

Deku Tree

there aren't even really any "break your way into this mysterious place where new enemies are" missions. the introduction of the Vex in particular is so bizarrely staged, I could go on for six hours about it.

Why did you quote my post on the bottom of the last page and not reply to it?

GhaleonEB

Yeah Destiny is basically a flat world shooter with only minor vehicle combat. I was disappointed in the lack of mission variety in that respect.

It's for this reason that the shot in the trailer of leaping about at the top of the citadel excites me. That's the kind of thing that needs to be the future of Destiny - exploring new places not by pressing buttons and shooting, but by actually exploring. It looks like it mixes in platforming and combat.

I'm hoping there's not a single press button and fight scene in HoW's story missions. That's what PoE is for.

Deku Tree

It's for this reason that the shot in the trailer of leaping about at the top of the citadel excites me. That's the kind of thing that needs to be the future of Destiny - exploring new places not by pressing buttons and shooting, but by actually exploring. It looks like it mixes in platforming and combat.

I'm hoping there's not a single press button and fight scene in HoW's story missions. That's what PoE is for.

Yeah the citadel looks like a fantastic story environment. I glitched in there and it looks great. I am excited for it and the other HoW missions. Hopefully they are moving in the right direction.

Navid

Do you guys think there will be another vault space expansion after House of Wolves arrives..?

I'm already back to struggling for weaponry space and with all the new weapons that will be on offer from the different vendors in House of Wolves (Prison of Elders, Trials of Osiris, Queens Guard) I can see the situation only getting worse.

Deku Tree

sorry; we don't know. But yes, both, is what i'm saying.

I really hope the modifiers and the earlier waves change weekly in the level 35 PoE even if the final boss is always the same. I don't see why they would be static if all the other difficulties are not static.

M3Rocket

That would be awesome, I'm logging on now.

I'm bringing you down on Hard mode now--there is another chance on the left chest. But no need to go to the right one again.

EDIT: Oops! Got hard gorgon on my Titan. Join on me again.

Everyone is welcome if you need the Gorgon Hard CP.

Do you guys think there will be another vault space expansion after House of Wolves arrives..?

I'm already back to struggling for weaponry space and with all the new weapons that will be on offer from the different vendors in House of Wolves (Prison of Elders, Trials of Osiris, Queens Guard) I can see the situation only getting worse.

I think at some point in the games life there's going to be a part where they're going to have to drop last gen in order to give current gen players what they're asking for.

Deku Tree

Yes the situation is still pretty bad for collectors. Bungie should allow you to buy more vault space. Give me a whole additional page. Or more. Seems like a no brainier.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I really hope the modifiers and the earlier waves change weekly in the level 35 PoE even if the final boss is always the same. I don't see why they would be static if all the other difficulties are not static.
My thinking was so that it can be prepared for in advance.

i'm only speculating about this because of the absence of the "weekly rotating" language in the prison of elders page on bungie's site.
Ej0yvMH.png

Ramirez

Doubtful, the old consoles are holding these games back a lot more than people realize.

I'm bringing you down on Hard mode now--there is another chance on the left chest. But no need to go to the right one again.

EDIT: Oops! Got hard gorgon on my Titan. Join on me again.

Everyone is welcome if you need the Gorgon Hard CP.

No legendaries but it's good to know the run. Thanks for your time. Also I have no other characters so thats all I need.

Anyone want to run HM VoG?
I really only want to do Oracles for the Praetorian Foil, but we could run all the way through.

1. cloud945076

Deku Tree

My thinking was so that it can be prepared for in advance.

i'm only speculating about this because of the absence of the "weekly rotating" language in the prison of elders page on bungie's site.

That's logical. iDK for sure. Level 35 could be too hard for a lot of the double modifiers. We'll find out soon enough.

Love seeing this stuff happen on the XBOX side of the community. Congrats!

Seriously, I've never seen better drops all in one day, especially for first timers.

Toa got Black Hammer and I think a piece of gear
Insomniac a Black Hammer and some gear
And RLench got Fatebringer, 3/4 Crota Raid gear, Praedyth's Timepiece, 2/4 VoG gear, and Light of the Abyss.

Couldn't have asked for better honestly.
Maybe a Gjallarhorn or Mythoclast ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom