• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT20| HoW Comes, No Raid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the spirit of good vibrations, here's something we can all support: Phaethon getting pwned by supers.

Golden Gunned up close:

Bladedanced in the butt:

Titan Smash turns him jelly:
aw, man, those were HILARIOUS!
glad someone else is the target of historical shaming... :)

GhaleonEB

if it's kosher to divulge some of that discussion, why is this frowned upon? Was allowing future threads of a certain activity level to remain on gaming side for longer discussed?
In general, we expect all threads to roughly stay on topic and encourage this as a matter of policy, not just community threads. Community threads present a couple of unique issues. The first is accessibility: when new players pick up the game, and want to talk about it on GAF, they often turn to the community threads. Entering a topic about the game they want to talk about and seeing it filled with Bloodborn boss discussion and other random topics can be off-putting (and we've seen a few folks come through these threads recently and make posts along the lines of, "Is this community always like this?" That's not a good thing.) As a side note, Destiny is still selling; I poked into the PAL sales thread and saw it was #10 on the combined platform charts this week, 8+ months from release. Still plenty of new members coming in.

The other has to do with how communities come together and can become insular over time. This is again related to accessibility, but the side effects can be more corrosive to the forum as a whole. Close knit communities - especially gaming communities - sometimes take on this attitude that they are some kind of offshoot from GAF ,with their own identity. DestinyGAF is a thing, but the GAF part is just as important as the Destiny part. We see this from time to time when someone makes a disparaging post about those "gaming side threads". As in god, those gaming threads are awful, let's stay in here where it's safe and warm. (I've made some posts discouraging this in the past.) This kind of insularity can also be unwelcoming for new players wanting to come in. When coupled with a community that is also going wildly off topic with frequency, you have a thread that is very unwelcoming to new people, and which is no longer serving the purpose for which the thread was created: to be a place in which all active players of a game can feel welcome posting. We've seen some communities turn actively hostile to new members, especially if they come in with differing views. Our moderation policies are generally in place to prevent this kind of thing, but it's tough since there are a LOT of active community threads, but limited moderators. We do what we can.

As to leaving more active threads on the main forum, it has been discussed. The original issue the Community forum was intended to solve was, allowing the front page of the forum (which is the most widely used view on GAF) to be populated by current news topics, and so serve as a source for discussion of current gaming news. As the forum grew and there were enough members to keep a large number of OT's active at once, it was crowding out other threads and diluting that purpose. After some iteration, the current policy evolved: gaming OT's move to Community after one month, regardless of how active they are. This solves a few issues: 1) we don't need to pick and choose what threads are active enough to keep around, and 2) it sets the expectation that the Community forum is not a "junior" forum to Gaming. We don't want Community to feel like a dumping ground for unpopular or old OT's, but rather a part of GAF with a specific purpose. Imagine how some communities would feel snubbed somehow if there were not left in Gaming, but others were. (It would be a big thing we'd have to deal with.)

Hope that helps clarify things. Feel free to PM with any other moderation questions. :)

LTWood12

What did you call me?

I like it too. I also really like Dust Palace, which for some reason everyone seems to hate.

It'll be the Shadow Thief. You'll have to at the very least play all the story missions to unlock it. And for some reason, I have a feeling it will be solar burn.

Bottom post 3 pages in a row, at least for the 50ppp master race. This feels like some sort of omen.

todd360

Is it the 19th yet? I'm ready to don my robes and get my space magic on. I've been honing my force push. Its range is more OP than ever. Fig won't be able to handle its gloriousness.

Wallach

Has this list of best new vendor weapons been discussed? What is everyone eyeing?

I think when TDB came out I was too focused on using my marks for armor, especially because I was a forever-29. I'm going to buy some weapons this time.

Definitely got my eye on Deadshot Luna (New Monarchy) and Vanguard's 55A- ALLFATE and One/One Synesthete. Crucible hand cannon looks nice too. It'll be interesting to think about this stuff now that we can reroll these weapons. I want Red Hand also, but I feel like ascending some of my staple hand cannons (Hawkmoon, FB) will be a priority.

I'm mostly looking at special and heavy vendor weapons. I mostly deal in PRs for primary (based on my loot drops since day 1 I am clearly the favored disciple of the PR god) and I don't really like the look of any of the vendor PRs so far. None of them seem to fall into the high impact category. My current stable is going to be hard to beat anyway, reforging or no. Am interested to see how much of an impact Hidden Hand has on auto-aim, though.

I'm definitely eyeing the Admonisher III. If Pacifier X had Flared Magwell I'd jump on it probably.

M3Rocket

I like Dust Palace. Three smaller bosses is an interesting change of pace from the usual one huge lumbering jerk boss at the end of most strikes. The juggling of different elemental shields is a fun deal if you have a fireteam that are coordinating that in advance.

I reintroduced Dust Palace to a couple of my clanmates by telling them it's like a mini PoE with the different elemental shields on the Flayers (and the reduced XP from the last patch). They were much more receptive after we took them down without ever retreating to the top of the stairs and just attacking everything up close with shotguns, heavy and melees. It's an intense fight that way. And hella fun compared to the other strikes!

Two things made this strike one of the better ones nowadays: Shotgun PvE buff and reduced Flayer XP.

Listen here, Gjallarhorn bib..

Dude this weekend I told Ragarra to bust you because I thought you deleted me. Then I realized you weren't even in the party with your name on it.

I Loled - Party fail

I vaguely remember something about that. I wasn't on more than a couple mins this weekend. I had a buddy in town from NYC and I was trying to prove to him that Southern Alabama was almost as fun as NYC. This is of course not accurate so I basically took him on a drinking binge in a misguided attempt to convince him of said inaccuracy.

I don't even know if what I just said even makes sense. I killed a LOT of brain cells this weekend.

In general, we expect all threads to roughly stay on topic and encourage this as a matter of policy, not just community threads. Community threads present a couple of unique issues. The first is accessibility: when new players pick up the game, and want to talk about it on GAF, they often turn to the community threads. Entering a topic about the game they want to talk about and seeing it filled with Bloodborn boss discussion and other random topics can be off-putting (and we've seen a few folks come through these threads recently and make posts along the lines of, "Is this community always like this?" That's not a good thing.) As a side note, Destiny is still selling; I poked into the PAL sales thread and saw it was #10 on the combined platform charts this week, 8+ months from release. Still plenty of new members coming in.

The other has to do with how communities come together and can become insular over time. This is again related to accessibility, but the side effects can be more corrosive to the forum as a whole. Close knit communities - especially gaming communities - sometimes take on this attitude that they are some kind of offshoot from GAF ,with their own identity. DestinyGAF is a thing, but the GAF part is just as important as the Destiny part. We see this from time to time when someone makes a disparaging post about those "gaming side threads". As in god, those gaming threads are awful, let's stay in here where it's safe and warm. (I've made some posts discouraging this in the past.) This kind of insularity can also be unwelcoming for new players wanting to come in. When coupled with a community that is also going wildly off topic with frequency, you have a thread that is very unwelcoming to new people, and which is no longer serving the purpose for which the thread was created: to be a place in which all active players of a game can feel welcome posting. We've seen some communities turn actively hostile to new members, especially if they come in with differing views. Our moderation policies are generally in place to prevent this kind of thing, but it's tough since there are a LOT of active community threads, but limited moderators. We do what we can.

As to leaving more active threads on the main forum, it has been discussed. The original issue the Community forum was intended to solve was, allowing the front page of the forum (which is the most widely used view on GAF) to be populated by current news topics, and so serve as a source for discussion of current gaming news. As the forum grew and there were enough members to keep a large number of OT's active at once, it was crowding out other threads and diluting that purpose. After some iteration, the current policy evolved: gaming OT's move to Community after one month, regardless of how active they are. This solves a few issues: 1) we don't need to pick and choose what threads are active enough to keep around, and 2) it sets the expectation that the Community forum is not a "junior" forum to Gaming. We don't want Community to feel like a dumping ground for unpopular or old OT's, but rather a part of GAF with a specific purpose. Imagine how some communities would feel snubbed somehow if there were not left in Gaming, but others were. (It would be a big thing we'd have to deal with.)

Hope that helps clarify things. Feel free to PM with any other moderation questions. :)

I would like to add a suggestion for gaming side. There alot of "your favorite boss in X", or "does video game music every make you cry". Perhaps another sub-forum like GAMING GENERAL DISCUSSION or something would be able to keep the news front loaded. Its not that I dont like those threads, there quite amusing, but when I have to go back a couple pages to find a duscussion on the newest "whatever trailer" it can be frustrating.

And I wholly agree on keeping the thread on topic. we can have fun discussions and be silly, maybe a post about "hey guys have you played X" as long as it doesnt turn into an enlongated discussion about it.

rNilla

I vaguely remember something about that. I wasn't on more than a couple mins this weekend. I had a buddy in town from NYC and I was trying to prove to him that Southern Alabama was almost as fun as NYC. This is of course not accurate so I basically took him on a drinking binge in a misguided attempt to convince him of said inaccuracy.

I don't even know if what I just said even makes sense. I killed a LOT of brain cells this weekend.

Is this even English?

spyder_ur

I'm mostly looking at special and heavy vendor weapons. I mostly deal in PRs for primary (based on my loot drops since day 1 I am clearly the favored disciple of the PR god) and I don't really like the look of any of the vendor PRs so far. None of them seem to fall into the high impact category. My current stable is going to be hard to beat anyway, reforging or no. Am interested to see how much of an impact Hidden Hand has on auto-aim, though.

I'm definitely eyeing the Admonisher III. If Pacifier X had Flared Magwell I'd jump on it probably.

Can't you just reroll it for that? I feel like I am going to be a maniac with rerolling weapons at the gunsmith, especially after I get all those Motes from my leftover shards/energies.

The Luna though, I am definitely getting that - If I can get my Dead Orbit to rank 3 by next week. That shouldn't be too hard - I want to max my marks and I am leaving faction rep at near maxed right now so everything can go to DO.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
how do you skip the middle section. I dont even know what the triggers are for the next section. I just kill things until the game says I can move on. I really dont understand the pacing of the strike. granted I dont run it that often if I can help it.
For any strike (or story mission for that matter), as long as there is no physical barrier preventing you from advancing, you can just go regardless of what's left alive. So as soon as the "light wall" is down you can just run for it all the way to the boss room.
More glimmer than Ommigul? I haven't paid too close attention, but Omnigul just has soooo many adds, the glimmer just piles up.
Yeah Omnigul is great too, but the real key is all the yellows/majors that are teleported in during the boss fight. It's on the order of the Gatekeeper room in VoG, but it lasts as long as you want it to. If you just massacre the boss in 20 seconds with WoL/Gjallarhorn/shotguns, then it admittedly isn't as profitable, and Omnigul probably wins.

Deku Tree

The other has to do with how communities come together and can become insular over time. This is again related to accessibility, but the side effects can be more corrosive to the forum as a whole. Close knit communities - especially gaming communities - sometimes take on this attitude that they are some kind of offshoot from GAF ,with their own identity. DestinyGAF is a thing, but the GAF part is just as important as the Destiny part. We see this from time to time when someone makes a disparaging post about those "gaming side threads". As in god, those gaming threads are awful, let's stay in here where it's safe and warm. (I've made some posts discouraging this in the past.) This kind of insularity can also be unwelcoming for new players wanting to come in.

Thanks for all your clarifications Ghaleon. Regarding this particular point that you just made above, I think a lot of people from DGAF try to be very welcoming to new players and a lot of people respond to their posts and we invite them to add us and we try to answer all their questions.

To the point of Destiny "gaming side threads", a lot of us feel that they are all filled with mostly drive by garbage posts like "destiny sucks didn't you hear?" etc and it's a waste of time to attempt to engage in meaningful discussion about Destiny with people over there when whatever you say you mostly get bombarded with an overwhelming number of drive by posts like that...

I wonder if it's because the daily/weekly content is tied to HoW.

They promised that with HoW the NF and the weekly heroic would be different so at least one of them should be an old strike.

phen0m24

And I wholly agree on keeping the thread on topic. we can have fun discussions and be silly, maybe a post about "hey guys have you played X" as long as it doesnt turn into an enlongated discussion about it.

As the one with ADHD who started the Bloodborne discussions in question and is very frequently trying to function as forum glue by keeping us together and our spirits up with lighthearted, admittedly silly banter (I'm not today as I'm in a testy mood) I apologize for being slightly insular. I've tried to answer new folks' questions and so forth in an attempt not to be so, but you goofballs are my gaming family now.
Nilla still won't hug me
Will try to keep conversations as topical as possible - and absent some sort of chat room this is pretty much where I live on the internet.

goes back to grumbling at IRL stuff

GhaleonEB

I reintroduced Dust Palace to a couple of my clanmates by telling them it's like a mini PoE with the different elemental shields on the Flayers (and the reduced XP from the last patch). They were much more receptive after we took them down without ever retreating to the top of the stairs and just attacking everything up close with shotguns, heavy and melees. It's an intense fight that way. And hella fun compared to the other strikes!

Two things made this strike one of the better ones nowadays: Shotgun PvE buff and reduced Flayer XP.

This is so true. Those two changes turned it from one of my least liked boss fights to one of my favorites. The lack of one-hit kill AoE attack from the Flayers has a lot to do with it as well. It's a short, intense boss fight, which is how I think they should all be.

The shotgun buff is one of the absolute best things Bungie has done to the PvE game, IMO. It's totally changed up how I play about half the time.

Carl

NM Crota is much much easier. VOG people still choke on the platforming and it really sucks. It's even worse if someone chokes with the relic inside with the oracles.

Deathsinger on Normal is really the only place you could have an issue but that is more just carelessness then anything.

These fucking knights always kick my ass even on normal mode :(

spyder_ur

They promised that with HoW the NF and the weekly heroic would be different so at least one of them should be an old strike.

Good point - I forgot about that. I do wonder if they'll make a new strike the Nightfall or Weekly - they got (rightly, in my opinion) called out on that when TDB dropped.

GhaleonEB

Thanks for all your clarifications Ghaleon. Regarding this particular point that you just made above, I think a lot of people from DGAF try to be very welcoming to new players and a lot of people respond to their posts and we invite them to add us and we try to answer all their questions.

To the point of Destiny "gaming side threads", a lot of us feel that they are all filled with mostly drive by garbage posts like "destiny sucks didn't you hear?" etc and it's a waste of time to attempt to engage in meaningful discussion about Destiny with people over there when whatever you say you mostly get bombarded with an overwhelming number of drive by posts like that...
Yes, Destiny GAF is indeed a pretty welcoming Community. Certainly the most so I've ever been involved in. <3

Oh good, I wasn't aware this one was made public yet. Where was this nugget dropped at? I missed it. (If that split is a feature of the HoW update, then it might explain why the weekly strikes are not live until the HoW is.)

stb

I would like to add a suggestion for gaming side. There alot of "your favorite boss in X", or "does video game music every make you cry". Perhaps another sub-forum like GAMING GENERAL DISCUSSION or something would be able to keep the news front loaded. Its not that I dont like those threads, there quite amusing, but when I have to go back a couple pages to find a duscussion on the newest "whatever trailer" it can be frustrating.

Agree with this or the creation of a "News" forum. I read the first page of the Gaming forum for news, not opinion/editorial.

This is especially true because it seems like the 2nd or 3rd post of these "squishy" topics is frequently a link to the same topic a few weeks/months/year ago, where very similar responses were made.

P.S. I'm aware of the irony of discussing suggestions for forums as an off-off-topic aside to questions about what is or isn't on-topic for community OT.

Anyone need nightfall or weekly or roc strikes? I just need any and all stupid experience so I can get my hunters sub-class maxed. I want to be Guardian Lord 101!

Wallach

Can't you just reroll it for that? I feel like I am going to be a maniac with rerolling weapons at the gunsmith, especially after I get all those Motes from my leftover shards/energies.

You can, but it's going to toss out the two great perks it already has along with the middle column, which makes me less interested in terms of something to pick up first. The base stats are solid, it was just really close to having a great out-of-the-box set of perks. At some point I'll probably still grab one to try and reforge it, but probably after Admonisher III (unless there is a yet-to-be-discovered arc exotic launcher in HoW that isn't booty sweat, at which point I may just start there in terms of vendor weapons).

Deku Tree

Yes, Destiny GAF is indeed a pretty welcoming Community. Certainly the most so I've ever been involved in. <3

Oh good, I wasn't aware this one was made public yet. Where was this nugget dropped at? I missed it. (If that split is a feature of the HoW update, then it might explain why the weekly strikes are not live until the HoW is.)

DESTINY: MAJOR CHANGES ARE COMING TO THE NIGHTFALL AND WEEKLY STRIKE MISSIONS

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/05...g-to-the-nightfall-and-weekly-strike-missions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom