• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT20| HoW Comes, No Raid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
DESTINY: MAJOR CHANGES ARE COMING TO THE NIGHTFALL AND WEEKLY STRIKE MISSIONS

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/05...g-to-the-nightfall-and-weekly-strike-missions

Damn click bait! Could have just told us weekly/nightfall are now going to be different strikes :p

It isn't major but it's a welcome change. I avg coins from Nightfall 1/3 runs so I haven't done weeklies in forever, which will change for HoW so I can get Faction drops again. I hope they take them out of the Nightfall loot table but not counting on it.

ERMint13

I had to scrubbiest PvP session with randoms just before... I don't know if I have a horrible connection or its just me and I stink but I kept feeling like I was getting wrecked due to lag and even if I got the jump on my foe and tagged them enough they were still able to move in on me and take me down.

PvP is less fun when I notice how much lag is a factor in each encounter.

Are there any good destiny PvP learning videos out there?

Honestly there are times that the connection is just garbage. I'm generally a 1.2-1.5 k/d player but there are games I end up with a .2 because nothing is working. Sometimes the other team is red bars sometimes they have green connections but the hit detection is god awful.

Any video on improving PvP can help. Keep the gun aimed at head height when moving, always check radar, if you run into two or three players commit to just shooting one....

if anyone wants to post gameplay, i'll critique it and tell you what you can improve on.

knowing where to be and how to move is as much a part of the game as what you use and how you aim. it's something you have to be conscious of even when it becomes second nature.
aw, man, i will totally take you up on this, if you don't mind?

Impala26

if anyone wants to post gameplay, i'll critique it and tell you what you can improve on.

knowing where to be and how to move is as much a part of the game as what you use and how you aim. it's something you have to be conscious of even when it becomes second nature.

To me, this is the main similarity between Destiny and Halo PvP that I dig. Map movement/control and team coordination can be just as important as the individual sum of its parts in terms of a given player's skill level.

Supers in PvP are another story completely...

M3Rocket

I haven't played much in the past few months. Other than the past few days, I haven't played at all since the shotgun buff. What shotguns are best in PVE? Is it just Felwinter's Lie? What's the best roll for it in PVE and PVP?

Swordbreaker from the CE raid is great for PvE. Works especially well against those pesky void shielded Psions and Minotaurs.

Found Verdict's full auto with six rounds, Send It and Final Round is probably only second to a properly rolled/reforged Felwinter's Lie.

sure thing just go ahead and post something. doesn't have to be your "best" game.
awesome! thanks so much. it will be a couple days, as work is just slamming me atm, but i'll post and lyk!
edit: i guess i should record some sessions when i'm not playing in a DGAF train, though, or should I? I am usually the caboose in those instances. XD

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
To me, this is the main similarity between Destiny and Halo PvP that I dig. Map movement/control and team coordination can be just as important as the individual sum of its parts in terms of a given player's skill level.

meh, supers don't bother me the vast majority of the time. hell, if i'm the only person killed by a super - that's a massive win imo

its when you have a team steamrolling with orb generation... that shit is impossible to deal with. thankfully it rarely if ever happens outside of skirmish/salvage/IB

it's still a decision making game. the main difference is that halo has more gunskill, teamshooting and map control, whereas destiny is focused on exploits (mostly geometrical), baiting and switching and momentum-based pushes (chaining supers).

i wish destiny had more gunskill to it. destiny gameplay is either blink shotgun or headglitch on a ramp and the entire meta game revolves around playing cheaply with thorn, blink and felwinters. it's like halo 4 infinity slayer on steroids.

Deku Tree

Hey thanks Zoba!

Now I gotta figure out how to record my play sessions and upload them to YT... and not be embarrassed by my scrubbiness... I can do all that I just never did it before.

aw, man, those were HILARIOUS!
glad someone else is the target of historical shaming... :)

I've got the goods on all you crazy kids! At least the ones I actually game with, which is the majority. For example:

these threads have been a lot of fun and i just wanted to say thanks for making this place a friendly, active and whimsical place to hang out. there's never a dull day in destiny gaf (well, maybe mondays). even if i don't know all of you, i appreciate every one who also calls this place home.

except you. yes you with the felwinter's lie. you know who you are.

I'd salute right back at ya if all my characters weren't human females.
Also I use F'sL sometiems :-/
CESCgtlWYAAepm_.jpg:large

//////
Another example from Boguester's DGAF Historical Society:
Wait! Todd was third! Why he fifth?! And why is the K in my name capitalized?!

Because now it's chronologically accurate :p My flawless team finally finished a run 55 minutes before Todd finished grinding his last character:

Jigga was on X1 so he just didn't post until a few weeks after he got it which was before both of us. This was the "historic wrong" I referenced when taking over the OTs, just took a little while for folks to notice (I didn't change it right away).

I think that's the last old post I meant to get caught up on... *phew* FWIW I do read every post (eventually). Holy cow I've spent a lot of time here today.

edit: also I fixed your name in the GL list Nami.

As in what people purchased?

Least purchased would be NLB I'm guessing haha. Most, maybe Ice breaker? They made a huge deal about it a while back but yea that would be interesting.

I mean how many weeks anything has been avaliable for purchase. Example: void fang have been sold like 6 weeks or more? Gjallarhorn once? Etc.

M3Rocket

I haven't used a fusion rifle in forever. I was never a big user but I used to play around with them when I didn't want to equip a sniper. I see way way less of them in crucible, too, thank god.

I'm just thankful that TLW PvP wielders can't switch to a Plan C in the middle of a firefight. That would be insane.

I've got the goods on all you crazy kids! At least the ones I actually game with, which is the majority. For example:

//////

Because now it's chronologically accurate :p My flawless team finally finished a run 55 minutes before Todd finished grinding his last character:

Jigga was on X1 so he just didn't post until a few weeks after he got it which was before both of us. This was the "historic wrong" I referenced when taking over the OTs, just took a little while for folks to notice (I didn't change it right away).

I think that's the last old post I meant to get caught up on... *phew* FWIW I do read every post (eventually). Holy cow I've spent a lot of time here today.

Hmmm that "Boguester" appears fake!

;)

Deku Tree

Supers are the worst part of PvP not because supers are cheap kills (which they are) but because they make a lopsided match even more lopsided and they make it twice as hard to get a come from behind victory.

One team gets a lot of early kills which makes their supers charge much faster, then they start chaining supers and insta-killing you which then generates orbs for their team-mates, which gives them more supers, which gives them more orbs, and all of a sudden it's game over and your super isn't even charged yet the first time...

Supers are the worst part of PvP not because supers are cheap kills (which they are) but because they make a lopsided match even more lopsided and they make it twice as hard to get a come from behind victory.

One team gets a lot of early kills which makes their supers charge much faster, then they start chaining supers and insta-killing you which then generates orbs for their team-mates, which gives them more supers, which gives them more orbs, and all of a sudden it's game over and your super isn't even charged yet the first time...

i'd like to see these changes made to crucible

-reduced or removed orbs of light generation. supers are earned and not handed to players.
-heavy ammo spawning once a match at the 6 minute mark.
-decrease special ammo spawn timers and increase amount gained from crates, but nobody spawns with special ammo.

this would put more focus on the gun game and then supers would be used to turn the tide of a battle.

it'd also be followed by a targetted nerf to the top 3 hand cannons so that everyone doesn't just use thorn. on that account

-reduce aim assist on the last word and patch 111 glitch
-reduce aim assist on thorn and reduce mag size to 6 and replace snapshot with an extended mag option, so players have to decide between increased accuracy, perfect balance, or 9 rounds
-reduce aim assist on hawkmoon

these guns would still be top tier and out perform everything else, but they'd be harder to use.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
In general, we expect all threads to roughly stay on topic and encourage this as a matter of policy, not just community threads. Community threads present a couple of unique issues. The first is accessibility: when new players pick up the game, and want to talk about it on GAF, they often turn to the community threads. Entering a topic about the game they want to talk about and seeing it filled with Bloodborn boss discussion and other random topics can be off-putting (and we've seen a few folks come through these threads recently and make posts along the lines of, "Is this community always like this?" That's not a good thing.) As a side note, Destiny is still selling; I poked into the PAL sales thread and saw it was #10 on the combined platform charts this week, 8+ months from release. Still plenty of new members coming in.

The other has to do with how communities come together and can become insular over time. This is again related to accessibility, but the side effects can be more corrosive to the forum as a whole. Close knit communities - especially gaming communities - sometimes take on this attitude that they are some kind of offshoot from GAF ,with their own identity. DestinyGAF is a thing, but the GAF part is just as important as the Destiny part. We see this from time to time when someone makes a disparaging post about those "gaming side threads". As in god, those gaming threads are awful, let's stay in here where it's safe and warm. (I've made some posts discouraging this in the past.) This kind of insularity can also be unwelcoming for new players wanting to come in. When coupled with a community that is also going wildly off topic with frequency, you have a thread that is very unwelcoming to new people, and which is no longer serving the purpose for which the thread was created: to be a place in which all active players of a game can feel welcome posting. We've seen some communities turn actively hostile to new members, especially if they come in with differing views. Our moderation policies are generally in place to prevent this kind of thing, but it's tough since there are a LOT of active community threads, but limited moderators. We do what we can.

As to leaving more active threads on the main forum, it has been discussed. The original issue the Community forum was intended to solve was, allowing the front page of the forum (which is the most widely used view on GAF) to be populated by current news topics, and so serve as a source for discussion of current gaming news. As the forum grew and there were enough members to keep a large number of OT's active at once, it was crowding out other threads and diluting that purpose. After some iteration, the current policy evolved: gaming OT's move to Community after one month, regardless of how active they are. This solves a few issues: 1) we don't need to pick and choose what threads are active enough to keep around, and 2) it sets the expectation that the Community forum is not a "junior" forum to Gaming. We don't want Community to feel like a dumping ground for unpopular or old OT's, but rather a part of GAF with a specific purpose. Imagine how some communities would feel snubbed somehow if there were not left in Gaming, but others were. (It would be a big thing we'd have to deal with.)

Hope that helps clarify things. Feel free to PM with any other moderation questions. :)
Thanks a lot for the insight, I appreciate it.

daedalius

-reduced or removed orbs of light generation. supers are earned and not handed to players.
-decrease special ammo spawn timers and increase amount gained from crates, but nobody spawns with special ammo.

this would put more focus on the gun game and then supers would be used to turn the tide of a battle.

it'd also be followed by a targetted nerf to the top 3 hand cannons so that everyone doesn't just use thorn. on that account

-reduce aim assist on thorn and reduce mag size to 6

these guns would still be top tier, but harder to use.

Would love to see these kinds of changes. Orb generation in PVP is just dumb.

Ramirez

Being able to simply jump and aim accurately would add so much to the PVP. Leaving the ground in this game is so punishing if you're not doing the lame blink+shotgun.

I know there's a perk that makes it better in HoW, but that shit should just be game wide. It's stupid and adds nothing to the experience except limiting what kind of maneuvers you can pull off.

The game should also completely axe 6v6 and focus on 3v3 or 4v4.

ethomaz

Banned
Running a Titan...

Guy jump on me... I fast see I don't more any shotgun ammo... go to full melee to get his ass kicked.

WTF? I miss the melee? How? I will try again... I hit him but his melee kills me... shameful death.

I never lose a melee fight with full health before with my Warlock.

Titan melee is not melee it is a "pat".

DY_nasty

really think that void hunters are gonna get something largely AoE centered.

if only i could go into the future and taste the tears now

-reduce aim assist on thorn and reduce mag size to 6

these guns would still be top tier, but harder to use.

These all sound fine to me but not sure about heavy ammo. They already took off heavy ammo looting which was a nice addition. They definitely need to make you earn things. I'd be interested to play a mode that has something similar to ordinance drops like Halo haha

ocean

Banned
I'm imagining what a solar super for a Titan would be like. Titan jumps up, raises hands, a giant fiery ball of light forms overhead, Titan throws at the ground, there's a cluster explosion effect similar to Dragon's breath, and it has a bigger AoE than FoP.

I've been watching DBZ a lot lately.
I liked the lore theory that Titan supers are reflected in VoG relic since it was made by Kabr the Titan mastah. Relic "grenade" is like Ward of Dawn and the jump attack is like Fist of Havoc. A third super looking like the Relic super - a long straight killing beam - would be cool.

-reduce aim assist on thorn and reduce mag size to 6 and replace snapshot with an extended mag option, so players have to decide between increased accuracy, perfect balance, or 9 rounds

these guns would still be top tier and out perform everything else, but they'd be harder to use.

This would be a dream patch. Especially the Thorn nerf.

These all sound fine to me but not sure about heavy ammo. They already took off heavy ammo looting which was a nice addition. They definitely need to make you earn things. I'd be interested to play a mode that has something similar to ordinance drops like Halo haha

they could bring looting back if there's less heavy in the game.

This would be a dream patch. Especially the Thorn nerf.

yea making the mag size a choice would indirectly nerf it.

GhaleonEB

Being able to simply jump and aim accurately would add so much to the PVP. Leaving the ground in this game is so punishing if you're not doing the lame blink+shotgun.

I know there's a perk that makes it better in HoW, but that shit should just be game wide. It's stupid and adds nothing to the experience except limiting what kind of maneuvers you can pull off.

I really wish I could jump and snipe in PvE.

Namikaze1

Oh great. Just imagined a void super for Hunters.

Activate super, see enemy several yards away, knife at him even though you're not even close, travel through a void at light speeds, reappear in front / behind / besides them, instant kill, rinse and repeat till super bar depletes or you use void strike 3 times (similar to gunslinger)

This time, I blame Naruto over DBZ.

Look up Minato Namikaze and the Thunder God Jutsu

they could bring looting back if there's less heavy in the game.

Oops I meant I liked that they took that away. People having 10 truth rockets was terrible. But yea I think it would be fun to mess around with different variations/custom gametypes. Destiny 2 please!

GutZ31

//////

I think if we looked up everyone's guardian lordship, we would see a pretty mixed look at that list.
No reason to update it, but if we had to go by dates, I would be over/under todd360 at least.

i've been saying this since the alpha, but i wonder how this would sway the population towards hunters even further. everyone would want to boost their agility so that their jump would be more effective.

unless you mean that it should extend to gliding and lifting. i'm not sure how i'd feel about players flying around with accurate sniping. sounds like Reach's Uncaged all over again.

at the very least, players should retain 100% accuracy during their first jump.

DY_nasty

Running a Titan...

Guy jump on me... I fast see I don't more any shotgun ammo... go to full melee to get his ass kicked.

WTF? I miss the melee? How? I will try again... I hit him but his melee kills me... shameful death.

I never lose a melee fight with full health before with my Warlock.

Titan melee is not melee it is a "pat".

warlock melee is probably the best in the game because of its ridiculous range and on-hit effects from abilities. titan melee is basically meh for strikers (defenders... sometimes its worth selling out for the melee kill to get the ability buff, its a game changer)

shoulder charge though? lol that just shits on so many people once you learn to work the angles

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Almost got the Titan upgrade trophy. Then for the hunter :)

Quite enjoying these Eris Morn quests. Remote playing them while we watch reality TV.

Top of page :

WHATS IN THE BOX?

WARLOCKS!

WHO WEARS THE BEST SOCKS?

WARLOCKS!

WHO EATS THE FINEST CHOCS?

WARLOCKS!

AND WEARS THE BEST FROCKS?

TITANS

JUST KIDDING!

WARLOCKS!

Status