• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT22| Game of Thorns

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's condescending, and it's a cop out in a discussion.

Well I apologize if you feel that way, in no way did I mean to be condescending. To me, the cop out is ignoring a proven viable strategy to beat the mechanics as intended within the confines of the sandbox. Yes, for the Arena bosses so far, Gjallarhorn spamming and synthing is well within the confines of the sandbox and has proven effective. It's OK if you can't do it first try, or first ten tries, or first one hundred. I didn't beat Legendary with skulls in Halo without a thousand "wipes".

But it's not impossible or broken in my opinion, just highly difficult. People have done it. It's the hardest thing in the game for a reason, as designed. There are lower difficulty versions for those that don't want to practice to make a good strategy to beat it. No one should get that loot for free, it should be earned. That said, I fully believe that most people here can do these fights - especially if they can or have done a Raid. And if they're on Xbox One, I'll even put my money where my mouth is and help out if they're stuck on 34 this week. Don't let the game beat you. Frustration is part of it and you'll come out the other side a better player, guaranteed, and some fancy new toys, too (maybe).

We did it legitly, me nami and silver. Got the cipher. Got a pistol. It was fun.

Also the bounty is dropping consistently for 2 people at a time off 35 skolas.

Well I apologize if you feel that way, in no way did I mean to be condescending. To me, the cop out is ignoring a proven viable strategy to beat the mechanics as intended within the confines of the sandbox. Yes, for the Arena bosses so far, Gjallarhorn spamming and synthing is well within the confines of the sandbox and has proven effective. It's OK if you can't do it first try, or first ten tries, or first one hundred. I didn't beat Legendary with skulls in Halo without a thousand "wipes".

But it's not impossible or broken in my opinion, just highly difficult. People have done it. It's the hardest thing in the game for a reason, as designed. There are lower difficulty versions for those that don't want to practice to make a good strategy to beat it. No one should get that loot for free, it should be earned. That said, I fully believe that most people here can do these fights - especially if they can or have done a Raid. And if they're on Xbox One, I'll even put my money where my mouth is and help out if they're stuck on 34 this week. Don't let the game beat you. Frustration is part of it and you'll come out the other side a better player, guaranteed, and some fancy new toys, too (maybe).

Oh, I don't feel that way. No, I can do the arena with or without the gjalla strat quite fine. It's that I'm calling out your tone, telling people to 'get good' isn't creating a discussion. It's you coming out and saying 'Look at these people! I told you how to do it! It's your fault you're not good enough!'. It's a cop out. It's insulting to players who aren't as skilled.

yup. there are no outstanding debuffs or disadvantages. everything just instawipes the team.

i'd like to see a debuff that disables all abilities and the players have to capture or kill an enemy to regain their supers. or maybe something that takes their weapon from them and they can only melee a target to take their weapons back.

literally anything other than insta wipes and super strong adds

Most raid bosses "wipe" attacks are not insta-wipes: they drain your super energy and then you die when it reaches zero (Crota's Oversoul, Atheon's "lost in dark corners"). For most encounters it's the same difference but Templar is a great exception (holy cow I love Templar).

If marked by oracles, the Templar's ritual drains your super but you still have time to get cleansed before it bottoms out and kills you. Another important wrinkle is that the relic holder will have their relic super drained but leave the character's super intact which allows for warlocks to still self res and save a run. Draining the Guardian's light instead of killing their HP bar is a really nice, subtle bit of mechanical storytelling.

I definitely agree with your overall point about more variety though.

Honestly I would love Bungie just to cut the crap with the burn on Skolas. Then people will have to learn the fight, but also won't have to put up with shit one shooting you. Making it overly difficult just by smacking a burn on it is not a smart way to design an encounter. I don't want to be constantly gimped everytime I peak out of cover.

CGC_YEXWAAEs1ya.jpg:large

Has ambush, but no shortgaze. I'll have to level it up first to see if it's any good.

The idea that you "earn" anything in a video game is silly to me. It's a frakkin' video game! Unless you make some money playing a video game as a pro, what are you actually earning? A bigger d*ck in a d*ck measuring contest?

Jeesh--who the heck cares whether anyone is doing it the way "it was intended?" Play the video game the way YOU want to play it. There will always be creative exploits to a game as popular as Destiny.

Hey now you are just piling up on something that I didn't even say and being mean... :/

Of course you should play it how you want. The "earning" thing is the loot that you get for beating the high level content. The new gun, the trophy, the cheevo, the high score. Whatever you want to call it that is what you are "earning".

I think people are taking their frustrations over not currently being able to complete Very Hard content and venting them at people who are trying to help. I've already written a number of posts explaining some viable strategies and somehow I'm getting called condescending for telling people to practice and get better at the game in order to beat it. What the heck, Guardians. :/

M3Rocket

Need one for POE 34.

Must have a horn.
Must be 34.
Must have a six pack.
Must have a six figure salary.
Must speak five different Fallen languages.

Uhhh--for your clan, shouldn't it read like this?

Must be horny.
Must be sexy 34.
Must have a six pack or large two pack.
Must have a sexy salary.
Must speak a minimum of five Kama Sutra "languages."

Oh so I did a Judgements chance, got a wolfslayer autorifle with a 'Does extra damage to Fallen Enemies' in general, not just a specific type.

It's a keeper.

Also the elder cipher drops from any PoE right guys? Right?

Namikaze1

Oh so I did a Judgements chance, got a wolfslayer autorifle with a 'Does extra damage to Fallen Enemies' in general, not just a specific type.

It's a keeper.

Also the elder cipher drops from any PoE right guys? Right?
PoE 34/5

Oh wait. You talking about Queen's Cipher right? Yep anyone.

Trakan

I think eventually Bungie is going to realize they fucked up with the POE weapons and give them a second real perk not associated with the fallen.

Probably will take a while though.

GhaleonEB

To those that call using a Defender and 3 Gjallarhorns cheesing:

I hope that you stay in the room with Omnigul and the ads the whole time for arc burn nightfalls.

I hope you never go to orbit and come back to avoid wiping in a Nightfall.

I hope you never snipe Phogoth from outside the Shrieker room in a Nightfall.

I hope you never stay up high on the Nexus and just snipe the boss.

I hope you never go behind the crates in the Valus T'auric Nightfall.

I hope you never hid under the small balcony when fighting the Archon Priest in a Nightfall.

I hope you never replenish your special ammo by switching to Ice Breaker.

I Hope You Dance...

My general approach to this kind of thing is, if Bungie is going to make things hard through those kind of means, then anything goes. The alternative is instadeath. In extreme cases, certain situations can be made so brutal that the challenge isn't so much figuring out how to play the encounter or boss, but how to stay out of the field of battle entirely. Avoiding a fight is a reasonable approach.

After last night's run on level 32 and seeing what the boss did - which was not fun - I'm all for aggressive counter measures. Fair's fair.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Hopping on now, I'm game for 32 PoE/weekly heroic, crucible stuff, whatevs. PSN Anoregon

Namikaze1

Breezy, from the video I'm uploading, it took us over 5 minutes to kill him. I'm surprised we lasted as long as we did and got it done. Damn those dregs and their arc grenade.

After last night's run on level 32 and seeing what the boss did - which was not fun - I'm all for aggressive counter measures. Fair's fair.
Is that the one that roasts the entire floor with solar burn? Gotta admit that reading about that particular boss and community workarounds makes me just want to skip on it.

I also wish that the extra armor/health afforded to certain enemies would have some counter besides just pouring on the damage. Just as Halo had certain weapons to wipe shields while others were better for armor and flesh, Destiny could definitely use some of that action.

Oh, I don't feel that way. No, I can do the arena with or without the gjalla strat quite fine. It's that I'm calling out your tone, telling people to 'get good' isn't creating a discussion. It's you coming out and saying 'Look at these people! I told you how to do it! It's your fault you're not good enough!'. It's a cop out. It's insulting to players who aren't as skilled.

Look, I think you're projecting onto my posts. I provided my strategy that worked for me. Not THE strategy. Everyone needs to practice and work together to make a strategy that can work for them. The only tone I tried to have in my posts is one of encouragement to help complete to content rather than whining that the encounter is not creative or impossibly hard when it's the most creative stuff the game has had yet. It is supposed to be highly difficult by design.

Point is, there will always be content in this game that will only reward you if you can make it past a certain skill threshold. The good news is that with enough practice and teamwork you CAN do it. We all started somewhere. Skill isn't something that just stays the same. With more experience you can get better at the game and earn the loot just like everyone else.

I'm getting tired of people calling me condescending or insulting (the real cop out that kills discussion) for trying to help or have a discussion about the Very Hard content being Very Hard, though, so I'm going to get back to playing for a bit. Good luck.

shermas

Is that the one that roasts the entire floor with solar burn? Gotta admit that reading about that particular boss and community workarounds makes me just want to skip on it.

It's not THAT bad... just jump when the floor is burning, fire rockets or black hammer. Having a titan for a shield bubble really helps.

I ran it 3 times this morning, though. We didn't wipe on the boss at all. We wiped on the stage before when he had a couple sloppy mine defuse efforts.

It's not THAT bad... just jump when the floor is burning, fire rockets or black hammer. Having a titan for a shield bubble really helps.
The stuff I read here in the previous OT talked about hunters being screwed against that boss. Is that no longer the case? Is a Void Titan in the group mandatory?

Haven't gotten a crew together to try it yet, but impressions from here also turned me off it a bit. That and the game seems dead set against me ever getting any Treasure Keys.

2 34s and a 33. This may be tough.

Did I start our run as a 33? I didn't notice that. Sorry if that was the case.

Need one for POE 34.

Must have a horn.
Must be 34.
Must have a six pack.
Must have a six figure salary.
Must speak five different Fallen languages.

You forgot a Grimoire score of 3200 and a 10 inch schlong... lol

It's actually fun... Hunter triple jump, Titan bubble and Warlock self-res. Became really easy.

RetroMG

My general approach to this kind of thing is, if Bungie is going to make things hard through those kind of means, then anything goes. The alternative is instadeath. In extreme cases, certain situations can be made so brutal that the challenge isn't so much figuring out how to play the encounter or boss, but how to stay out of the field of battle entirely. Avoiding a fight is a reasonable approach.

My personal opinion is similar to yours. This is my opinion:

It's okay to cheese the Nightfall bosses.
It's okay to cheese Crota's Bridge on normal unless someone in the team has never done it before, because everyone should do it legit at least once.
It's always okay to cheese Crota's Bridge on hard.
It's okay to Cheese a Hive round on PoE with Arc Burn, because that's just a horrible experience. (I just found out about this, thanks fireteam!)
The rest of the time, I will go with the majority of my fireteam/raid group. If they want to cheese, I'm fine. Otherwise, guns up, let's do this.

todd360

Welp I'm gonna get one and do the new story missions for the third time since my character is locked out of arena. Grumble grumble grumble

I read on reddit, but was wondering if someone can confirm, if I re-roll my spear it'll have old sniper perks (field scout, final round)? I have 3, and I want to try and get one that's arc and field scout for this weeks PoE 35. I have a solar one that I thought I'd use in trials, but the sights were just garbage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom