• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT22| Game of Thorns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Definity

Thanks guys! Had some great fun doing it too! ToO is definitely where it's at in HoW.

Our victory shot:
ANucKhJ.jpg

NICE job. Grats. I watched a bit of the stream. Looked like a fun time!

FyreWulff

Ran into a pretty hilarious bug early this morning while Ratsult and I were running Wolves and patrols and bounties. The engine lost track of me on his end, so I was talking around his world as a bunch of static . I was also marked like a pubbie on his radar, and not as a fire team member. And didn't have a nameplate. I could switch weapons and everything and I remained the weird static wireframe

BWnnasY.jpg

Feorax

Thanks for the run ipitythafool. Sorry for the scrubbiness, I'm still livid about that mine though. I was certain I had it.

ich00

How big is the difference between playing Destiny PvP on my laggy 50" Plasma and playing on a 24" 1080P 144hz gaming monitor?

Hz doesn't matter because consoles don't have that high of a refresh rate, but the reduction to input lag is definitely noticeable.

What Forerunner said.

I play on a 32" TV and my bother plays on a 22" gaming monitor, and I can definitely tell the difference. More so in crucible play because of the pacing, but it noticeable.

Depending on your TV there's some things you can do to limit input lag, I think overall it's better to be on a gaming monitor to limit that.

Deku Tree

Hz doesn't matter because consoles don't have that high of a refresh rate, but the reduction to input lag is definitely noticeable.

What Forerunner said.

I play on a 32" TV and my bother plays on a 22" gaming monitor, and I can definitely tell the difference. More so in crucible play because of the pacing, but it noticeable.

Depending on your TV there's some things you can do to limit input lag, I think overall it's better to be on a gaming monitor to limit that.

I see. Thanks!

So if I already have one of these Dell U2713hm monitors:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009H0XQQY/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Which is 27" LED and not specifically a gaming monitor... Will I get the reduced input lag over my 50" Panasonic Plasma?

I am realizing that the split second jump on your opponent in Crucible is often the difference between winning and losing....

noomi

Yes! party crasher +1!

Was looking for matador 64, but I'll take it. Heard that they are both very good shotguns. :D

nOoblet16

How big is the difference between playing Destiny PvP on my laggy 50" Plasma and playing on a 24" 1080P 144hz gaming monitor?
I will give a mathematical reasoning over why it doesn't make much of a difference.
The odds are already stacked against you:

1) 30 FPS
2) Controller input lag
3) Control system itself is not 1:1 and indirect
Edit: 4) Don't forget network lag !!!

Honestly, it's not enough to make a difference, if you turn off all the post processing in your TV (basically "Game mode") then it's even less, any "perceivable" difference should be more or less be a placebo effect since HDTV response time can be as much as 30ms....which is still less than what it takes to render one frame in Destiny (as it's a 30FPS game, so each frame lasts for 33.33ms).

So at best (if you have a really really poor TV and have tons of post processing turned on) you will barely be saving one frame in a 30FPS game and in a game like Destiny it makes no difference, especially not like it would in a fighting game.

Deku Tree

The odds are already stacked against you:

1) 30 FPS
2) Controller input lag
3) Control system itself is not 1:1 and indirect

Honestly, it's not enough to make a difference, if you turn off all the post processing in your TV (basically "Game mode") then it's even less, any "perceivable" difference should be more or less be a placebo effect since HDTV response time can be as much as 30ms....which is still less than what it takes to render one frame in Destiny (as it's a 30FPS game, so each frame lasts for 33.33ms).

So at best (if you have a really really poor TV and have tons of post processing turned on) you will barely be saving one frame in a 30FPS game and in a game like Destiny it makes no difference, especially not like it would in a fighting game.

Alright I'm gonna try to set up my universal remote to put my TV into "game mode" when I turn everything on... And I'lol see if I notice anything... Thanks!

Jinjo

NICE job. Grats. I watched a bit of the stream. Looked like a fun time!

It was great fun! Definitely the best content in HoW. PvP never really clicked with me before but I greatly enjoyed the elimination style gameplay.

Aw man that sucks Jay got disconnected, couldn't finish our runs. So far we had Kukawaki go 9-1 unfortunately and Jinjo getting a glorious 9-0.
Resistance seems to be way tougher today.

Great job once again! I seem to like that candle on the left though.
Hope we can get someone to the Lighthouse again this evening.

Shame you couldn't get the other guys there (yet)! We had some tough fights to pull through but glad we did it! Got my Hunter to lv34 & maxed my VoC. Other than that I got new MIDA & ToO heavy machinegun. Was hoping for some sweet armor, alas. Hope to play with you guys again next weekend!

Congrats, I was watching you guys play, great games.

Nice, congrats Jinjo. And thanks for getting the guys warmed up already. Don't want em pulling a muscle.

Thanks guys! Can you believe that was almost my first time PvP'ing as a Hunter? Only played like two or three matches before as Hunter ever but I really really clicked with that class in PvP so I decided to go with that one instead of my Titan last minute. Just glad I could contribute a bit to the fight too. First time trying Hawkmoon in PvP too lol (normally a Vex user), but I converted to the Church of the Hawk for sure. What a gun!

REALLY can't decide between nothing manacles or alpha lupi today, GAF. Plaese halp.

I know alpha is an investment in ToO but Nothing saves me an exotic shard and has grenade advantages that can help in both PVP and PVE.

SO TORN. HALP.

What Forerunner said.

I always prefer playing multiplayer games on my older and cheaper TV screen. I always thought that the high hertz rate caused me to play worse, but I suppose it's the input lag. Apparently the dfferent image processing modes that, for example, boost colours and dark tones are also the cause of some additional lag.

I see. Thanks!

So if I already have one of these Dell U2713hm monitors:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009H0XQQY/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Which is 27" LED and not specifically a gaming monitor... Will I get the reduced input lag over my 50" Panasonic Plasma?

I am realizing that the split second jump on your opponent in Crucible is often the difference between winning and losing....

Monitors generally have better ms than TV, so even with that monitor you should see improvement. As for the whole "gaming mode" TVs have it's a bunch of shit, it still doesn't come close to matching a monitor. There's a reason why competitive gamers (HCS for example) use monitors.

Also just try it for yourself, if you don't notice any improvements you can always just go back to your TV. For me personally, it's quite noticeable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom