• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT22| Game of Thorns

Status
Not open for further replies.

ocean

Banned
What's funny is that Bungie made PVP so generous (and PVE opposite) that I started taking it seriously and now loving it! All I want to play is PVP and just keep getting better. Never thought the day would come where I play PVP over PVE in Destiny. I'm still shocked myself.

Psychologically, I followed a very primitive food trail to the "dessert." Obviously, the rewards were the incentive. Seems like as much as Bungie hates it, just make everything full of rewards and players will love it. Trials is among the best activities in the game for the rewards it offers.
There is a subtle detail in play here: this game shines when you're in a team and communicating. Whether you and your buddies are in a super serious hardcore mood or just goofing around, it's only then that this game is fun.

Have you ever run a Raid or Nightfall with a quiet team? I have...and it's not fun. Vault of Glass with no comms other than an occasional "shit I'm dead" is boring, and so is everything else in the game.

Trials of Osiris, and to a far lesser extent Iron Banner, push players towards forming teams where you're actively communicating. I always jump on PvP trains when they're available or join friends when they're on because it's great fun. Solo Crucible just isn't my thing.

Loot is the incentive to try ToO but it isn't what makes it fun. The fact that it has no matchmaking and players are highly encouraged to communicate is a common link with Raids, and the ensuing experience is similarly satisfying.

hydruxo

you're not asking in the right place, most people here will dismiss the flaws of the game and tell you to buy the game anyway.

all of the things in the angry joe review is true, all of them. non-existent story, repetitive mission design, lack of content, bullet sponge bosses, god awful rng, etc. the question is, are you willing to go through those flaws to enjoy the good parts of the game? the gunplay is great, the gear is awesome and most part of the community are helpful.

there's a demo on psn, download that and see if you like it first.

The bolded is not true in the slightest. Have you ever read through these OTs? Even the people who play the game regularly are its biggest critics.

If anything, this is the perfect place to ask because if he asks on the Gaming side he's just going to get a resounding amount of "lol destiny don't buy it" responses from people who haven't played it since September/October.

I was hovering at about a .9 ratio earlier and that was a miracle. I was finding myself wishing that Destiny had a "For Fun/For Glory" system to keep me away from people who have no other hobbies.
Lol I don't think that's always the case.
Alternatively, if you choke every sniper shot like i was yesterday, rounds will be a lot closer than they should be.

I've been on a downward spiral since March I think. I played one tryhard game back then and just choked really hard. After that, I've noticed a lot more lows than highs. Don't even know how I'm still on the Trials leaderboards.

Don't want to start blaming weapons. Obviously not having Baby Blue means my snipe isn't 100% but i'm really getting tired of losing easy fights and missing easy snipes. Start getting desperate jumping at the enemy to try and overwhelm them and that ain't good either, especially in this mode.

Had one guy in my stream calling me out lol. I think he was just messing with me though because he also called out my Hunter's shader and jeggings. ayy nobody messes with these jeggings. I don't care what Fig says, these are the best damn Hunter boots in the game and it's not even close.
Basically me. Felt like my game was a lot stronger before the last exotic patch and was just getting better. Been mostly in a holding pattern since with huge dips and decent highs once in a while.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
If you play with 2 other friends its great.
If you love running the same things over and over for a chance at a specific item (think MMO/Diablo grind) its great.
If you rate games on a hours/$ ratio Destiny is fantastic, most people here paid $50-100 for the game + both DLCs and have put in hundreds and hundreds of hours into it.
If you love run and gun games where you are just killing stuff all the time for microscopic advancement its great.
If you love collecting stuff (armor, weapons, gear) through a variety of weapons - think pokemon - its great.

If you only have a limited amount of game time per week its probably crap.
If you hate PVP its crap.
If you value stories that make sense its pretty crappy. Story is nonsensical trash although you can see bits of brilliance peak out sometimes.

aRPGs are probably my favourite genre of game, so grinding loot isn't new to me, what matters is that the grind is fun and rewarding. I'll watch a bunch of reviews and some recent gameplay footage, my PS4 is out of stock and will take 2 - 4 weeks anyway (hopefully less, please Amazon!).

Praise RNGesus!

ExiejSk.jpg

JB1981

What's funny is that Bungie made PVP so generous (and PVE opposite) that I started taking it seriously and now loving it! All I want to play is PVP and just keep getting better. Never thought the day would come where I play PVP over PVE in Destiny. I'm still shocked myself.

Psychologically, I followed a very primitive food trail to the "dessert." Obviously, the rewards were the incentive. Seems like as much as Bungie hates it, just make everything full of rewards and players will love it. Trials is among the best activities in the game for the rewards it offers.

Why's it so much better now. What kind of rewards does it offer that PvE doesn't ?

BondFancy

To anyone that has Khepri's sting fully upgraded, how worth it is it? Because I'm debating on using all my notes to try and get it. As of now I use the hunter helmet that gives me four golden gun shots, but would probably swap it for that, I can see invis being useful for PoE and that primary reload speed and DoT melee being useful for PVP.

E92 M3

There is a subtle detail in play here: this game shines when you're in a team and communicating. Whether you and your buddies are in a super serious hardcore mood or just goofing around, it's only then that this game is fun.

Have you ever run a Raid or Nightfall with a quiet team? I have...and it's not fun. Vault of Glass with no comms other than an occasional "shit I'm dead" is boring, and so is everything else in the game.

Trials of Osiris, and to a far lesser extent Iron Banner, push players towards forming teams where you're actively communicating. I always jump on PvP trains when they're available or join friends when they're on because it's great fun. Solo Crucible just isn't my thing.

Loot is the incentive to try ToO but it isn't what makes it fun. The fact that it has no matchmaking and players are highly encouraged to communicate is a common link with Raids, and the ensuing experience is similarly satisfying.

You're right communicating and developing strategies in TOO is the best. Last night, I was calling every teams move on the dot. Of course execution is the other part as well lol.

Why's it so much better now. What kind of rewards does it offer that PvE doesn't ?

Well, Trials gives a ton of etheric for 9-0, guaranteed weapon, armor, motes, and more. Regular crucible gives weapons out like candy. It's great.

Congrats - hope you like it.

You know what? I'm actually getting better with The Last Word.

Best part about daily crucible is that I just got a Low Grade Humility sniper. Now I need to rerrol this and learn to use it.

Zocano

You know what? I'm actually getting better with The Last Word.

Best part about daily crucible is that I just got a Low Grade Humility sniper. Now I need to rerrol this and learn to use it.

Once you become good with the Last Word, you just become a monster.

That gun is absurdly OP and has the lowest TTK by miles. It's both hilarious and sad.

Langy

Okay think i'll give trials a go this week. Was so close twice last week to mercury alas it wasnt to be.

Who wants to group up and give it a go with me?

Add Langoit on PSN.

Also i can only afford 1 of the boons having spent most of my passage coins last week so if you wanna buy just the one aswell so we all even just let me know which one will be best....

ocean

Banned
How good is this game now? I'm watching the Angry Joe review now and he's not painting a pretty picture of it. I ordered a PS4 today and I'm kinda interested in the game, or at least I was lol.
Most of Angry Joe's points were valid. Most have been changed to a certain extent and the game is far more friendly and less grindy than it was at launch (it was insanity I swear).

To be honest, the game is meaty in content. The issue is not quite about having little content so much as asking you to run it a lot of times. A lot. The game has a healthy selection of Story missions, 8 Strikes (matchmade, higher difficulty missions for 3 people), 2 Raids with two difficulty levels each (no matchmaking, 6 people cooperative encounters that last 1-2 hours to complete and are really fun), a "Horde Mode" arena for 3 people with randomized encounters, Daily missions with higher difficulties, Weekly Strikes at higher difficulties...

In short, clearing the game's content, even ignoring the grind, will easily take more time than the average AAA these days. The issue is, the game expects you to run these things constantly ad infinitum.

Leveling up and getting better stuff requires "reputation". To get it you'll need to run the Strikes playlist for many hours....and hours doing the same 8 20 minute events can be truly exhausting.

When I say the game expects you to do this it's because accessing the endgame where we are requires that first step. Want to Raid and run the Arena and Nightfall Strikes and compete in PvP tournaments? Cool. Grind the shit out of your rep and currency first though.

In the game's defense:
Leveling up used to be way, way harder. Vendors now sell armor at a very high level stat- as soon as you buy your armor (gotta get that rep) you can do 90% of the game's content. It used to be you buy armor...then grind to level it up...then grind raids to get better armor...then grind to upgrade that armor too. Now you just buy it and you're level 32 (enough for practically everything in the game) without (further) grind.

There's a ton of small changes we all notice and appreciate but you'll have no frame of reference to value them. Like Crucible now rewards PvP better than it used to, armor/guns are cheaper to upgrade, you don't need to farm planetary materials anymore, weapons can be reforged, upgrade materials can be interchanged, there's more bounties to help you level up quickly, there's more PvP maps and playlists, you can use apps to swap gear from your telephone, there's sound options, the UI has been refined...

I digress. The game still expects you to run the same content a million times before you can participate in the endgame, where you'll repeat harder content over and over again.

But the game is perhaps unrivaled in terms of how fun it can be when you're with a team of IRL friends or GAFers.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Most of Angry Joe's points were valid. Most have been changed to a certain extent and the game is far more friendly and less grindy than it was at launch (it was insanity I swear).

To be honest, the game is meaty in content. The issue is not quite about having little content so much as asking you to run it a lot of times. A lot. The game has a healthy selection of Story missions, 8 Strikes (matchmade, higher difficulty missions for 3 people), 2 Raids with two difficulty levels each (no matchmaking, 6 people cooperative encounters that last 1-2 hours to complete and are really fun), a "Horde Mode" arena for 3 people with randomized encounters, Daily missions with higher difficulties, Weekly Strikes at higher difficulties...

In short, clearing the game's content, even ignoring the grind, will easily take more time than the average AAA these days. The issue is, the game expects you to run these things constantly ad infinitum.

Leveling up and getting better stuff requires "reputation". To get it you'll need to run the Strikes playlist for many hours....and hours doing the same 8 20 minute events can be truly exhausting.

When I say the game expects you to do this it's because accessing the endgame where we are requires that first step. Want to Raid and run the Arena and Nightfall Strikes and compete in PvP tournaments? Cool. Grind the shit out of your rep and currency first though.

In the game's defense:
Leveling up used to be way, way harder. Vendors now sell armor at a very high level stat- as soon as you buy your armor (gotta get that rep) you can do 90% of the game's content. It used to be you buy armor...then grind to level it up...then grind raids to get better armor...then grind to upgrade that armor too. Now you just buy it and you're level 32 (enough for practically everything in the game) without (further) grind.

There's a ton of small changes we all notice and appreciate but you'll have no frame of reference to value them. Like Crucible now rewards PvP better than it used to, armor/guns are cheaper to upgrade, you don't need to farm planetary materials anymore, weapons can be reforged, upgrade materials can be interchanged, there's more bounties to help you level up quickly, there's more PvP maps and playlists, you can use apps to swap gear from your telephone, there's sound options, the UI has been refined...

I digress. The game still expects you to run the same content a million times before you can participate in the endgame, where you'll repeat harder content over and over again.

But the game is perhaps unrivaled in terms of how fun it can be when you're with a team of IRL friends or GAFers.

Thanks for taking the time, that's the problem with 9 month old reviews, you have no idea what has been fixed or improved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom