• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT22| Game of Thorns

Status
Not open for further replies.

TacticalFailure

Neo Member
I've never really been for matchmaking in this game, but I'm finding the lack of it in this expansion (and the three player fire teams) make it nearly impossible to access the content aside from Poe 28. My kid was pumped about ToO, but he doesn't have anyone to play with, he is a mainly a solo player and plays on my account when I'm not around or busy.

So yesterday evening hedera_, myself and a friend played PoE 35 for the first time. We went in blind, so we were somewhat surprised how well we were doing since we got to Skolas only wiping twice on the Cabal stage (psion burn and angry is very fun with Cabal \s). Everything was challenging but doable, and we were having fun.

Then the Skolas fight just shit all over that experience. We tried legit, but Captains with shotguns and solar burn (one-shot), a fuckton of adds, poison and the mines combined with the level disadvantage just make the whole thing a frustrating, not even the least bit fun grind. This is not challenging. Something challenging is difficult but doable. This is just the game being able to cheat against the player, just a bunch of shit that will inevitably end in a wipe.

After some wipes we decided to look up strategies since it was already 2am and tried the Horn strat, but he kept teleporting every time and fucking up our hits. A couple of time we almost killed him but by then the mines had spawned and we had no way to survive. About 3am we gave up since it was late and we were tired, having spent about twice the amount of time on Skolas than on the whole 5 rounds before him.

And just to rub salt in the wound, we don't have a checkpoint to try again today (it could be a checkpoint that only worked for the same fireteam) and we had nothing to show for the 3 hours we spent on PoE 35. Even raids have section rewards, and they have checkpoints.

This and HM Crota makes me wonder who the hell curates this crap, makes me wonder if they even play their own game.

You just described my crews experience. The teleporting was complete BULLSHIT. I think Bungie eliminated checkpoints because people would be posting "I got Skolas checkpoint" and that would break their design.

My crew really couldn't cheese him with g-horns because I don't have one. Our strategy was go in clockwise, I kill the first servitor and my buddies blackhammer/g-horn him with a blessings of light. I would immediately continue around clockwise and take out the other servitor. That would give them 35 seconds of DPS. I would run back counterclockwise. Shoot some rockets as well and we would activate devouring essence (which was doable for us).

The problem was when he would teleport about 50% of the time. That would usually down one of them and we would have to run a clockwise pattern to revive the fallen guardian and all three of us would end up in a death spiral of trying to avoid the captains' solar burn.

We got to the mines multiple times, but that became even more frustrating.

I don't know if I'll go back and fight him again until I have a g-horn (or ever, but I'm feeling like I could make pounds of saltwater taffy with the saltiness I feel).

GhaleonEB

I wonder how many newbs the Queensbreaker Captain has killed, it's in a really bad spot for being such a high level.

He wreaked my Titan back when I was starting out. Ended a bounty for 100 kills without dying, twice.

I think I'm going to go and kill him now. Baby is all grown up.

nOoblet16

First try and my back broke..it's too fragile guys. I've also become very overconfident with snipers and sniper battle so my stubbornness to avoid conflict when needed leads to deaths. I need dat shortgaze....

The Osiris launcher is a freaking monster in PvP. It's actually better than the Truth on CQ maps.
Better than truth how? It's too slow Radegast fury with proximity is better.

Zakalwe

Banned
Actually, forget the PoE request.

I'd like to try for a 9-0 ToO (or the best we can do if we fail that), looking for two confident pvp players.

Level 34 Titan.

Hedera

So yesterday evening hedera_, myself and a friend played PoE 35 for the first time. We went in blind, so we were somewhat surprised how well we were doing since we got to Skolas only wiping twice on the Cabal stage (psion burn and angry is very fun with Cabal \s). Everything was challenging but doable, and we were having fun.

Then the Skolas fight just shit all over that experience. We tried legit, but Captains with shotguns and solar burn (one-shot), a fuckton of adds, poison and the mines combined with the level disadvantage just make the whole thing a frustrating, not even the least bit fun grind. This is not challenging. Something challenging is difficult but doable. This is just the game being able to cheat against the player, just a bunch of shit that will inevitably end in a wipe.

After some wipes we decided to look up strategies since it was already 2am and tried the Horn strat, but he kept teleporting every time and fucking up our hits. A couple of time we almost killed him but by then the mines had spawned and we had no way to survive. About 3am we gave up since it was late and we were tired, having spent about twice the amount of time on Skolas than on the whole 5 rounds before him.

And just to rub salt in the wound, we don't have a checkpoint to try again today (it could be a checkpoint that only worked for the same fireteam) and we had nothing to show for the 3 hours we spent on PoE 35. Even raids have section rewards, and they have checkpoints.

This and HM Crota makes me wonder who the hell curates this crap, makes me wonder if they even play their own game. I'm playing Witcher 3 on Death March difficulty and the game is hard. It took me about 5 or 6 tries to kill the griffin, but with each tried I learned and could get better at it. When I managed to get to the second part of the griffin fight for the first time, I killed it without dying once on that section because I had managed to learn and improve. None of this exists in the Skolas fight.

So yeah, HoW got me excited for Destiny again and I've been playing a lot. But shit like this is what got me fed up the last time. It seems they haven't really learned anything on the PvE side.
Oh man I'm still thinking about it... That experience last night (the Skolas part) was brutal and it definitely made me not want to touch Destiny for a couple days. You said everything I feel about that encounter.

I doubt that I'll have the patience to try that again anytime soon.

Kalamari

Gunsmith is selling rare fusion rifles if you need them

I rolled an Allfate with rodeo and headseeker, I hope it's good. I really wish it had a hand-laid stock though.

forrest

formerly nacire
Oh my, the queen cipher is not a quaranted drop.....

Got mine on lvl 34 first try, which I was counting my blessings on as I got the bounty on my first Skolas kill!

Seems silly the second drop should be random considering you need a treasure key for it. :(

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Best way to fix Skolas cheesing with horns is to prevent guardians from camping in that room to get their synths back. They already have a 'Variks summons all guardians' mechanic in place, why not just use it?

Fake edit: I did all my three 35s with horn strat because it's just not fun running around the map when 50 adds are shooting at you along with Skolas and his silly Scorch cannon.

nOoblet16

For ToS, am I right in thinking Sunsinger is the way to go for Warlock?
Yea it's good but you will lack mobility and you won't be able to nova bomb corners/heavies. Also radiance will only be useful when everyone has died and you try to make a comeback. In most cases good teams will camp the corpses to avoid being surprised by a comeback attempt. If you are able to surprise then it will work great in situations when you are only up against one enemy as soon as you self resurrect, but it becomes hard if there are two or more enemies. The first melee will probably grant you a kill but if you have to run for the melee then you are already too late for it as you will have the attention of everyone in the other team by then.

You do have the advantage of two grenades though, both firebolt and solar work well and even fusion is good, especially for a surprise quick damage which you can follow up with a gun attack.

Arrrammis

For ToS, am I right in thinking Sunsinger is the way to go for Warlock?
Pretty much, the map is terrible for nova bombs, and the self res is incredibly useful. Just remember you don't have to hit it right away. I waited until the loss countdown hit 1, then activated. The enemy had already started dancing, so they were easy kills.

gunawi

Yea it's good but you will lack mobility if you do and the super will only be useful when everyone has died and you try to make a comeback. In most cases good teams will camp the corpses to avoid being surprised by a comeback attempt. If you are able to surprise then it will work great in situations when you are only up against one enemy as soon as you self resurrect, but it becomes hard if there are two or more enemies. The first melee will probably grant you a kill but if you have to run for the melee then you are already too late for it as you will have the attention of everyone in the other team by then.
Use firebolts grenade and spam as you revived. 2 grenades will clear the enemies.

nOoblet16

Use firebolts grenade and spam as you revived. 2 grenades will clear the enemies.
Charge time isn't fast enough for close range stuff though unless you are using HoPF, in which case you might as well just spam grenades in the entire room. It works...but it can also not work.

neoism

so Ghal nice on your Titan really makes me want to crack down and make an alt but the story is sooo boring....
away anyone up for a 32/34 Poe or poO ? I have one key and I've wasted both my others on Poe 28.... I'm only 33 but if two 34s help I don't think I would die to much on a poe34 lol...
psn ne0ism- on now..

SeanR1221

I'm still going between the Red Death and Badger CCL as my primary. I know a couple people here said the Red Death is better, but my Badger does 1300 damage per head shot and my Red Death does a max of 900 if I can get all the shots to connect.

Badger also has increased range AND firefly. Plus I can then use the Plan C at the same time.

Hmmm...I hate decisions like this.

Here's a comparison. Granted, my red Death isn't maxed but neither is the Badger technically.

LtOrange

Are there any awesome ToO players that are available to carry me through one match? My trials passage is 7-1 and I really want to get the Gold Tier reward.

Zakalwe

Banned
Try this again:

ToO
Need two players confident they can hit 9 wins. Try for lighthouse or as best we can do if we lose.

1. Zakalwe (astropoff)
2:

Can go as soon as we get 3.

Agent

So, I really want the ToO chest piece. Anyone want to group up? I'm an average PvPer so certainly can't carry and I've accepted that I will probably never see Mercury haha. PSN: phantom8324

deafmedal

Wait is this the Comms I know? :)

Why yes it is! He's the only person on my GAF FL :.(

We should totally make him carry us to enough ToO wins for the chest piece :D I spent my Hunter's armor core on a Judgements Chance or whatever and got a machine gun or someshit. Bleh lol!

Edit: phantom, I suck but I'd like to try for it if you'll have me, maybe Comms is on and he could 'help' heh :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom