• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT25| The Taken Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ocean

Banned
My crazy theory is people keep playing Destiny because it's fun.
No, you only *think* you're having fun but you're really being manipulated and controlled by Bungie.

Gosh if anything I swear this game was minutely designed to be as controversial as possible in every facet. I feel like there's more articles on Destiny than any other recent title out there, people love to dissect it :p

Gala

After maxing my thorn and iron banner rank 5, I want to try trials for the first time. Can you give me any tips on what to look out for and tips in general?

Gosh if anything I swear this game was minutely designed to be as controversial as possible in every facet. I feel like there's more articles on Destiny than any other recent title out there, people love to dissect it :p

Which only makes it more popular lol. 😃

joecanada

All that time spent farming Hopscotch Pilgrim and I go right back to using TLW. It's a fantastic gun, but TLW is just goat for me, and it works extremely well with my play style

I love tlw since starting up with it a few weeks ago... My main problem is the new shotguns reach into its optimal range... And in long range it's not very good.
Tlw is good but thorn, shotguns is still king... Tired of shottys for months now

As god tier as the hand canons are I just can't fit them into my play style in PVP.

Red death however is amazing and i consistently win 1v1s against thorn with it.

It's a shame as I love using the hand canons in pve.

As god tier as the hand canons are I just can't fit them into my play style in PVP.

Red death however is amazing and i consistently win 1v1s against thorn with it.

It's a shame as I love using the hand canons in pve.

Red death health regain cancels poison so its great against thorn cause nothing sucks more than winning a gun fight only to die from poison seconds after.

Red death health regain cancels poison so its great against thorn cause nothing sucks more than winning a gun fight only to die from poison seconds after.

Massively. Just a shame it only heals you till the next DoT tick. Normally it's enough to keep you alive till it can fully regen. But against groups of people it can be tricky.

Also because I reload almost instantly after most kills the quicker reload helps loads

rc213

IB can be infuriating and so gratifying at the same time.

Final minutes barely losing, Opposing team decided to try and cap out last zone. Titan smash 5 guys puts us up, But my team decided to cap the zone back instead of backing off, 5 guys super blasted loss.

BTRD full clip standing at the end of a hallway and the opposing team decided to rush me 1 at a time 7 times before I ran out. Delicious!

Looking for some nightfalls wouldn't mind doing 3 in a row, BTW can anyone help me with the redbull thing they don't offer the destiny redbull here in my country

ethomaz

Banned
I love how I can't love the game in the gaming community threads...

It is hyperbole because the game is awful.

lol

IB can be infuriating and so gratifying at the same time.

Final minutes barely losing, Opposing team decided to try and cap out last zone. Titan smash 5 guys puts us up, But my team decided to cap the zone back instead of backing off, 5 guys super blasted loss.

BTRD full clip standing at the end of a hallway and the opposing team decided to rush me 1 at a time 7 times before I ran out. Delicious!

BTRD is love<3&#9825;

As far as pvp its an unbalanced mess throw in lagfest and yea just use thorn or TLW if winning is what you seek.

GhaleonEB

lol

You can. It's just that we're a bit of a bubble here; we play because we like it. On the Gaming side you get former players who have less favorable opinions. Destiny is very oddly polarizing. The core is so brilliant, but we all know it's flaws. For some, they couldn't get over them. It's fine.

Speaking of not getting over it. I do have to say, my favorite type of critique of Destiny comes from players who haven't played it in a long time, yet still pile into threads to let us know it still sucks. Destiny is an oddly moving target; so much has changed since the start of this year that opinions formed from that time have a shelf life long expired.

The crucible even that appears next to the heroics and nightfall, is it in some way different (rewards) to a standard crucible match? I did it yesterday and got this:

qfBf7Wql.jpg

Probably not great, but I can give a rest to the Nakara S5 (blue) I had been been using. I also got the Murmur from the Eris Morn Storyline, but I don't even know if it will be actually useful (Fusion Rifles feel so meh). Although I guess that being able to swap elementary damage is good.

ethomaz

Banned
You can. It's just that we're a bit of a bubble here; we play because we like it. On the Gaming side you get former players who have less favorable opinions. Destiny is very oddly polarizing. The core is so brilliant, but we all know it's flaws. For some, they couldn't get over them. It's fine.

Speaking of not getting over it. I do have to say, my favorite type of critique of Destiny comes from players who haven't played it in a long time, yet still pile into threads to let us know it still sucks. Destiny is an oddly moving target; so much has changed since the start of this year that opinions formed from that time have a shelf life long expired.
When you get in love with a woman... is she perfect? Or you account her flaws and enjoy what she has of good?

Destiny has flaws... a lot... and I love it because even with the flaws it is an awesome game.

The goods > the flaws for me.

That is my opinion but I agree with you.... I understand the hate... I just don't understand why they hate me for love the game.

GhaleonEB

When you get in love with a woman... she is perfect? Or you account her flaws and enjoy what she has of good?

Destiny has flaws... a lot... and a love it because even with the flaws it is an awesome game.

The goods > the flaws for me.

I once heard someone say, accept that no one is perfect. The secret to finding your soul mate is to find someone whose flaws don't bug you.

It's kind of like that with Destiny. Some people couldn't get over the lack of story. Some couldn't get through the repetitive mission designs. For some the grind was too steep.

For me, all those flaws are there, yet it's the most fun I've had playing a game, since....well, I don't think I have a since.

Beyond that I'm really fascinated with the passion Bungie is pouring into the detail of the game. The way the UI team keeps refining menus, the way the sound effect for collecting a bounty has been updated. Twice. They're working like mad to build out content, but they're also really sweating the small stuff along the way. I've never seen a game evolve like this before. It's not only getting larger over time, it's getting dramatically more polished. I'm really interested to see where the Taken King goes with this. I have a feeling it's not going to be a stand alone thing - some buckets of content - but more like a full reboot of the game.

traveler

Not Wario
The core of it comes down to this- I could play a game with great fundamentals, design, and gameplay and shitty content, or a game with shitty fundamentals, design, and gameplay with loads of detailed content. I'm going to choose the former every time.

which is why the Witcher will probably never get finished and I'm not sure if I'll have the motivation to truck through Batman. :/

For me, the core disappointment of this game was never its lack of content, voiced cutscenes, (seriously? I count this more a positive than a negative, and I'm kind of sad to see that Bungie heard the community and is focusing some efforts on that side of things in TTK) or mmo trappings, it's how absolutely godawful the pvp here is in comparison to Halo. What a step down. I guess CoD's success really killed that style of console fps. Ridiculous ttk in the current meta, sprint, ads, supers, heavy ammo for everyone, way more cluttered and awkward maps, trying to balance pvp at the same time as pve instead of separating the two out, the pathetic number of modes, a worse motion detector thats flaws are compounded by the more visually cluttered maps and blink, the list goes on and on. I might actually prefer CoD4 to this, and I straight up hate what it did to fpses.

Talisker

Hey Duders, member of Destiny EU Gaf here. So, I'm a level 25 warlock, played on and off since launch and have never done any of the raids. Would any of you be up for some raiding (VoG preferrably) about right now?

Cheerio!

ethomaz

Banned
I once heard someone say, accept that no one is perfect. The secret to finding your soul mate is to find someone whose flaws don't bug you.

It's kind of like that with Destiny. Some people couldn't get over the lack of story. Some couldn't get through the repetitive mission designs. For some the grind was too steep.

For me, all those flaws are there, yet it's the most fun I've had playing a game, since....well, I don't think I have a since.

Beyond that I'm really fascinated with the passion Bungie is pouring into the detail of the game. The way the UI team keeps refining menus, the way the sound effect for collecting a bounty has been updated. Twice. They're working like mad to build out content, but they're also really sweating the small stuff along the way. I've never seen a game evolve like this before. It's not only getting larger over time, it's getting dramatically more polished. I'm really interested to see where the Taken King goes with this. I have a feeling it's not going to be a stand alone thing - some buckets of content - but more like a full reboot of the game.
Totally agree.

I didn't have any gaming experience before like Destiny give me... people say game X did better but I didn't played game X.

I expect Bungie to find the right path and do better things with Destiny... I didn't like what I see in TDB but HoW was a step in the right way for me.

TTK looks (from what we knows) a even better attempt in the right way.

ethomaz

Banned
Hey Duders, member of Destiny EU Gaf here. So, I'm a level 25 warlock, played on and off since launch and have never done any of the raids. Would any of you be up for some raiding (VoG preferrably) about right now?

Cheerio!
Is it possible to have a group of newbie raiders playing VoG? I will love to watch stream and I think you will have one of the best experiences Destiny can give to you.

PS. I were one of day one players in VoG...

lol

I saw you saying you love the game and people shitting on you for it.

That's one reason I can't post in the general gaming Destiny threads because 95% of the time people just rip on the game. It's useless to argue with them. Is it perfect? Hell no. But no game is. I love the game and that's all that really matters to me.

This is coming from someone who still doesn't have a Ghallajorn after about 700 hours.

I'm in for a VoG raid today after lunch (in five hours). Also an EU newbie, I haven't been able to do the raid yet and I've been itching to play it.

PSN Figaliz, Warlock Lvl. 30

Future

People bitched about halo as well. "Copy paste level design," bad story, whatever. Played the hell at of that game because the core mechanics were so good even single player never got old for me. Destiny is that plus incentive to replay content this time. Perfect for me

That feeling when your on a 9 kill streak about to finish the 10 killstreak bounty the titan with a pixel of health fist of panics you.:mad:

That feeling when your on a 9 kill streak about to finish the 10 killstreak bounty the titan with a pixel of health fist of panics you.:mad:

Probably the same feeling as when a sunsinger keeps throwing firebolt grenades and chases you across the world through multiple teammates and none of them seem to feel like shooting them. Happened two days ago and I later got Iron Wrath in that same match but I'm still salty about it.

ocean

Banned
Editing videos is such a pain but I had a beautiful match with some highlights I wanna share.

Full clip of sniper ammo, all headshots.
1 bullet 2 headshots (without armor piercing wtf)
Razor Edged 4 people from outside a bubble. They thought they were safe!
A quickscope headshot I am nowhere near skilled enough to land, got lucky :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom