• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT34| Stop Hammer Time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Svartnatt

I've officially given up on trying to have randoms help me finally beat a Tier 3 CoO. Either I'm with the sword waiting for people to shoot Mini Crota, or I'm taking the shield down only to have the sword person halfway across the map doing nothing.

I may need to request GAF's help later tonight. I have a quest and a bounty riding on it.

I need this week's Tier 3 CoO as well. I've finished it before, but was not the one to put the rune in, so still need to do it for myself for the calcified fragment. I'll be on tonight around 8:30 PST if you want to hook up and do it together, maybe we can find a few more who need it and run it a few times for everyone.

Shoot me a FR and let's do it! PSN: Svartnatt

WipedOut

This weapon part situation is so much worse than I originally feared. We all joke about it but I'm not playing the game right now. Like at this moment I don't have Destiny on. Might be the first afternoon in months where I've been home and I'm not playing.
And the biggest issue I was having is that I now have 10 new weapons since Wednesday morning. And I can't infuse or level any of them up. So I can't use them at all.

I played CoO last night for an hour and got 10ish weapon parts and I broke down a bunch of year one guns but I still didn't have enough to infuse my Thread Upon Stars up to a high enough light level to use it.

Feel defeated.

I have 36 weapon parts, 36! The great weapon part drought has begun. Meanwhile I'm sitting on 1000 armor parts and almost 600 wormspore

ZOONAMI

This weapon part situation is so much worse than I originally feared. We all joke about it but I'm not playing the game right now. Like at this moment I don't have Destiny on. Might be the first afternoon in months where I've been home and I'm not playing.
And the biggest issue I was having is that I now have 10 new weapons since Wednesday morning. And I can't infuse or level any of them up. So I can't use them at all.

I played CoO last night for an hour and got 10ish weapon parts and I broke down a bunch of year one guns but I still didn't have enough to infuse my Thread Upon Stars up to a high enough light level to use it.

Feel defeated.

Yeah what the fuck is with the lack of weapon parts? So dumb. I have all these awesome legendary and exotics and I can't fucking do anything with them.

Silvard

If everything was just handed to me I wouldn´t care about Destiny. It´s the carrot on a stick that keeps me going. Drop rates in Destiny are actually really high compared to other games like wow for example.

The excitement you feel when you get a 310 drop in the raid - that´s Destiny to me.

Ugh.

I had hoped that the draw of Destiny would amount to more than skinner box techniques to keep people chasing after a high that may never deterministically arrive.

I hoped it would be more about tight gameplay and interesting mechanics, both in PvE and PvP, as well as a myriad of options in builds and guns.

I hoped that the exciting RNG would kick in not in the ability to reach 310/320 at all (which should, in my opinion, happen deterministically), but rather in the building of perfect side grade sets with the perks and stats we want to try.

matmanx1

That guy is also a really good player playing against randoms, it's probably not hard for him to make any class look good under those circumstances.

Yeah, and the video is also a bit out of date. No Backup Plans now buff on shotgun kill and most people wont be running around with as many shotgun shells as he had without seriously camping special ammo spawns.

Also, the Messenger was absolutely top of the food chain when this video hit. 41 point head shot at nearly scout rifle range? Sure, who wouldn't want a pulse rifle like that.

Not that I'm taking anything away from his game or his video. In fact it never dawned on me (pun intended) to use Ward of Dawn to block an incoming void bomb. I'd love to be able to pull that off consistently.

Huh. I didn't even think to try equipping a Y1 weapon but my other gear is high enough to offset it. Seems to go against the spirit of the event a bit but hey it's worth a try.

Thorn, here I come! (J/K!) ((might not be kidding))

Arrrammis

Well... Loaded up a match of iron banner solo... Join a game where my team was losing 12,600 to 810. I killed 3 enemies (almost doubling my team's score) and Shaxx called mercy rule. Help me Gaf, you're my only hope.

phen0m24

Feel defeated.

It really sucks. To consolidate armor into one item and then make wormspore fall out of engrams like mad.. only to have weapon parts be rarer than me getting 1st place in pvp.

WE NEED A WORMSPORE/PARTS/ARMOR CONVERSION OPTION BUNGIE! :)

matmanx1

Feel defeated.

Yeah, I'm feeling bummed as well. I haven't been able to level up any of my new Gunsmith weapons from this week or infuse my Chaperone (which I just got on Tuesday). I also have the Touch of Malice quest step where I have to give Eris Morn 50 (FIFTY!!) weapon parts to progress to the next step. Hitting that quest step this week feels a little bit like a sucker punch after the weapon parts nerf.

phen0m24

Also:

Give us an option in the menu, as follows:

Only place me in new games. (Check box toggle)

Tired of getting dropped into blowouts.

Frenden

Banned
Man, I have just totally gone to shit in PvP. Really frustrating. I was at my personal best before 2.0 hit and I think I'm doing worse than ever, even during the launch days, now.

I just have no feel for where my spots are and what the safe play is--I keep overexposing myself because I'm used to being able to gun my way out of encounters more readily than the current meta will allow, I guess.

I was so reliant on TLW that I am left totally inept when faced with the pulse rifle meta. The only pulse rifles I ever felt great with were the Messenger/Hopscotch/Spare Change class, and the only one of those I have that's year 2.0 ready is the Lyudmila-D and I can't stand the four shot Hakke pulses. Unless a Spare Change drops for me during Crucible, I dunno, I'm doing so poorly that it discourages even trying.

sad-panda.jpg

Is anyone up for a fresh KF raid? Need my fix of those sweet ass shards!

1. MrAnderson (greyblade)
2.aanx10uss
3.AMiL3GENDx
4. RickyRobertson
5.ManThatYouFear

Edit: full. Sorry if I missed anyone

Kyne

Man, I have just totally gone to shit in PvP. Really frustrating. I was at my personal best before 2.0 hit and I think I'm doing worse than ever, even during the launch days, now.

I just have no feel for where my spots are and what the safe play is--I keep overexposing myself because I'm used to being able to gun my way out of encounters more readily than the current meta will allow, I guess.

I was so reliant on TLW that I am left totally inept when faced with the pulse rifle meta. The only pulse rifles I ever felt great with were the Messenger/Hopscotch/Spare Change class, and the only one of those I have that's year 2.0 ready is the Lyudmila-D and I can't stand the four shot Hakke pulses. Unless a Spare Change drops for me during Crucible, I dunno, I'm doing so poorly that it discourages even trying.

doesn't the IB pulse fit the Hopscotch archetype?

Try to jump on an IB train if you can to see if you can rank faster. IB's Pulse should feel better.

Arrrammis

The IB pulse is the same as the Villainy from FWC (exact same stats, some hidden stats are different though). If you don't mind spending marks and want to try it out you could pick that up (you get 75 marks from weekly IB bounties, so you should be able to get the marks back pretty easily).

Wall of Text incoming. This is what a slow Friday afternoon in the office yields.

Even if you're in hard mode raid, you will not need 320, the same way you don't need 310 for normal raid.
From the Weekly Update:

Recommended Light for Hard Mode is 300 – 320. The loot that will drop will be between 310 – 320​

There are enemies at 320, unlike Normal, where the spread was 290-300, with gear going up to 310.

This is the game you're playing. If you don't actually enjoy the act of grinding each light level up to 310, why are you doing it? Going above 295 or whatever provides little to no appreciable change to your gameplay experience. When the next expansion or Destiny 2 comes out, all the work you put in to painfully crawling to 320 will be completely trivialized as everyone else quickly jumps to 380 or whatever the new limit is.

That's the game. If you enjoy the grind, awesome. If you don't, there's literally no reason to subject yourself to it. Play the game for fun. End up at 313 or whatever. It's fine.

I don't mind grind, but I don't play for the grind. Destiny in the past has had grind, and a lot of it. At times, it felt overbearing, even hostile, but they've gotten better about it. Especially compared to Vanilla. The crazy thing is Bungie used to make glorious games without any grind. I played the hell out of Halo, both Campaign and PvP and I did so happily without XP, without gear drops, without unlocks. And Destiny is still that kind of game. It doesn't need the grind. Which is why I'm frustrated that they increased it so much with Taken King's Raid.

They've literally doubled the grind from what it is before, and blergh does that feel bad. There are a lot of reasons:

1) This kind of grind is the laziest and worst kind. Rather than having unique incentives to hard mode, it's literally the same stuff with a higher number.
Maybe KF Hard will have unique perks, or elemental power, but my guess is probably not. Just a different color of gear.
Before there was something at least interesting with the Hard Mode grind, crucially, one that didn't invalidate your previous grind. First they had powerful weapons in the Vault, but that wrecked the sandbox. Then they had elemental primaries, and I thought this worked well. Skolas gave out exotic quests, but nothing else, so that didn't work either. What is being advertised as the incentive for King's Fall Hard is just 310-320 gear. That's what's in the Weekly Update. Not exciting new perks or weapons, just higher light. That's not enticing in and of itself. And this is the real problem with having the Hard Mode be 300 to 320.

2) King's Fall Hard Mode Light change basically resets the power for the entire game by changing the cap. This used to only happen with new expansions, now it's happening within one. You thought you were at the cap, surprise! (This could have been avoided if we had known earlier about what the "real" cap of Taken King was.) From a player perception standpoint, that's no good, even with infusion. It makes me feel less poweful than I was before, even if the damage differences are slight.
Now we know why Luke was saying don't chase 310. The odds of getting 310 were super-low in Normal. Normal mode is to get you to 300+. Hard mode will get you to 310+.

3) It makes Hard Mode hard in what I consider the wrong way. Past history has always had it where Normal Mode got you the armor that you needed for the Hard mode challenge. Now Hard mode is challenging not just with extra mechanics and higher level enemies, but also because we'll be underleveled while doing it. (Remember that enemies are already Level 42 in the Raid, and that while we could outlevel Oryx on Normal, we won't be able to on Hard.)

4) There's yet another soft cap. Before you had one limit (raid/not raid). Now there's a whole 'nother one top of it. And worse, there's RNG mixed in. Year One Raid gear had fixed levels, and you would always get a piece that advanced you if you didn't have raid gear in that slot. It feels poopy to get a 300 shotgun when I already had one. How's that going to advance me? If gear dropped at a fixed 310 for normal and then at 320 for Hard, that'd be different, but there's already vastly more grind than before because of light variance.
And even if you're blessed with 320 light drops, and you like your old gear, you're only getting 80% of that, thanks to Infusion taxes.

So you're right, I don't have to grind for each light level if I don't like it. But there's little incentive to do so. It makes the penalty for not doing it steeper for things like IB and Trials. It increases the challenge in Hard mode by introducing un-fun challenge through undergearing. And it doesn't change that there's more grinding to do, both within each soft cap and now that there's a totally new softcap. Everyone has the amount of grind they find acceptable and this crosses my line.

That's a lot of words, and it's not *that* big a deal. But it is fascinating. Careful, thoughtful discussion by the community is what helped make Year Two of Destiny so much better than Year One. I had time on my hands to tease out what it meant, so I wrote it up. Please don't take this as a freak out.

(And for reference, yeah, Vault of Glass drops were terrible, but Crota's End was good. I thought both we as a community and Bungie were happy with that.)

matmanx1

Ok my last post was fairly negative regarding the weapon parts nerf so here's something positive:

I love the change to No Backup Plans. Such a fun little exotic that defines a very valid way to play the Defender sub-class. Kudos, Bungie.

I also really dig Red Death in the 2.0. It looks better than ever and it's really effective both in PVP and PVE. I jumped out of IB and into a raid last night and was able to kill adds and stay alive because of its unique perks. Unflinching (I don't think this perk gets as much love as it should) + Heal on kill is a fantastic combination. Great gun!

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
I have 36 weapon parts, 36! The great weapon part drought has begun. Meanwhile I'm sitting on 1000 armor parts and almost 600 wormspore

Yeah what the fuck is with the lack of weapon parts? So dumb. I have all these awesome legendary and exotics and I can't fucking do anything with them.

It really sucks. To consolidate armor into one item and then make wormspore fall out of engrams like mad.. only to have weapon parts be rarer than me getting 1st place in pvp.

WE NEED A WORMSPORE/PARTS/ARMOR CONVERSION OPTION BUNGIE! :)

It baffles me that either a person or a group of people at Bungie sat around and thought that this needed to be implemented.
That they needed to adjust the amount of weapon parts that we were getting from our guns.

I bought the five guns from the gunsmith packages this week. Haven't touched a single one.
Was that their goal? They wanted us to test weapons and then place orders for new guns at the gunsmith and then just have the weapons in our vault?

* Every time people come in here and complain about the game and say that they are done with it I think they are overreacting. Being babies etc.
But if I can't upgrade my weapons and play with my new loot there is no point for me to play this game.

I had the Iron Banner sidearm drop for me after a match last night.
After the initial excitement I felt from getting the drop I realized I couldn't use the gun right now because I couldn't level it.

Sane_Man

Anyone else looking to raid? We need two more. We've all done it many times before and would prefer experienced players to get it down quickly. Preferably (a) titan(s) cause we've got 2 hunters and 2 warlocks right now,

PSN: SaneManPritch

Feorax

They are full....wanna party up?

1. Gdt5016
2. Tigerheli

Anyone else down for a fresh raid?

Anyone else looking to raid? We need two more. We've all done it many times before and would prefer experienced players to get it down quickly. Preferably (a) titan(s) cause we've got 2 hunters and 2 warlocks right now,

PSN: SaneManPritch

This seems convenient :)

ZOONAMI

They are full....wanna party up?

1. Gdt5016
2. Tigerheli

Anyone else down for a fresh raid?

Edit quoted wrong post -

I would go but I have never done KF, only VoG and Crota. 290 Hunter. If that's cool with you I'm in.

Psn Patatatinahat

Frenden

Banned
The IB pulse is the same as the Villainy from FWC (exact same stats, some hidden stats are different though). If you don't mind spending marks and want to try it out you could pick that up (you get 75 marks from weekly IB bounties, so you should be able to get the marks back pretty easily).

I have the vendor roll. Rank 5s and all that. Playing like shit with it. The slower RoF, higher impact pulses are the only ones I ever liked.

It doesn't seem to matter much--I'm just sucking across the board. Not even feeling super pumped about firing Destiny up between the weapon parts and the 2.0 hand cannon changes. I am at an all time low on my personal Destiny sine wave. Thoughts of quitting for a while. Going from consistent top of the leaderboard matches to consistent bottom of the leaderboard matches has me pretty bummed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom