• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT8| Whine and Cheese

Status
Not open for further replies.
So it's Xur's Eve! What's everyone hopping for tomorrow?

Really hoping for a a nice helm for my sunslinger. I'm also hoping for a new primary for my Titan. Using the vendor version of the shadow price with the low clip is really annoying in a few different situations, having to reload to take down the Templars bubble he puts you in sucks, and using a machine gun to do it means I can't have a launcher equipped.

Suros Regime

Cømet

Banned

Really hoping for a a nice helm for my sunslinger. I'm also hoping for a new primary for my Titan. Using the vendor version of the shadow price with the low clip is really annoying in a few different situations, having to reload to take down the Templars bubble he puts you in sucks, and using a machine gun to do it means I can't have a launcher equipped.

I don't even know at this point. Ghallahorn I guess? Getting a little burnt out on Destiny now. Which is good, I have work to do.

-drivel snip-

lol okay, whatever you say buddy. My eyes don't lie. Enjoy your time on the ignore list.

Homeboyd

TBH i think mine is bugged. People never explode.

People shouldn't explode should they?
Yeah it's bugged. The first three upgrades say the exact same thing, none of which do anything. And I've yet to see the explosion headshot thing work. Works every time on my praedyth and very easy to notice.

Fix the ice breaker pls.

Edit: actually it is combust, not explode. Maybe I have seen that work sometimes.

I'm hoping for the Suros Regime. I didn't buy it that one time he had it on sale.

dB Viper

Anyone see on Bungie the post where someone changed the time on his Xbox for this week and next, and showed pictures of what Xur is selling? I'm not sure if it's legit or not, but damn, if it is how could this even be possible? What would changing your xbox time have to do with anything?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
You really think a fully upgraded Thorn beats a fully upgraded TLW?

I have both guns but havn't upgraded the thorn yet. Finding it hard to imagine it comes close, but maybe I should give it a shot...

Of course, I'm eagerly awaiting the incoming buff.
Building around stuff is cool, but it's not /that/ in depth that you can build something that really elevates the gun beyond more ammo and better reload speed.

Maybe some limited synergy so you can sort of stack dot effects, but I still don't see how the current version could get anywhere close to the efficiency and overall effectiveness of TLW.
For some guns, I assure you that you can. That reload speed for hand cannons may be a negligible asset when using most, but makes an enormous difference when considering Thorn's default. It's a massive weakness that can be deflected.

There's also the matter of how you want to use it- you wouldn't play even close to the same way with Thorn as you would with TLW or any other hand cannon for that matter.

With Mark of the Devourer:
2 headshots or 3 body shots, and disengage- unless the target gets health regen somehow from a skill or gear mod, that's a guaranteed kill from the DoT. This means that the magazine on Thorn is best looked at as a potential 3 kills before a reload if you're accurate. You aren't going to run in and pop shots off like candy as you would with TLW. You're going to plant accurate shots on target until you know they're as good as dead and then move on... never, ever reload early unless you're positive you're in the clear.

thorn played like TLW and TLW wins a hundred times over. but you can't play TLW like you can play Thorn at all.
Do you have any specific ideas how it could be done?
There are a number of class-specific builds that could maximize it: Chain of Woe on Gunslinger is the simplest choice, any headshots that kill give you license to reload at a more normal speed. War Machine on defender could be incredibly effective well- spec to be able to keep force barrier up as much as possible. And I'm still not sure if Surge on Voidwalker increases reload speed or not. But of course a reload boost can be handled by gear too. The fourth build down here focuses on essentially being the most annoying thing ever by going for the full-DoT Sunsinger approach.

Last night in the crucible I also had this idea for one (didn't think out the full build, but a playstyle): run Thorn/shotgun, and use an initial shot from range on someone to "paint" them. The floating 7s from the DoT will keep their exact location revealed to you for 5 seconds. Edge around, swap, and slide in to finish them with one shotgun shot, which wouldn't have to be perfect (they'll have no shield). Repeat until one or the other needs reloading (at which point hopefully 5 other people are dead :D). A Titan running with Blessing of Light on their ward might be really well suited for this.

I absolutely love the raid relic. Using a shield as a weapon? Aw yiss.

HOLY CRAP HOLY CRAP I JUST GOT HAWKMOON FROM A LEGENDARY ENGRAM. PRAISE BE TO XUR!
welcome to nirvana
MM for the raid is a bad idea, imo. Detailed reasoning here.

Weekly 100% yes.

Nightfall ok, but maybe with a warning screen that pops up letting players know about the no death rule and that the content is recommended for a pre-made party.
agreed.

there just needs to be an in-game party board where you can leave a message, specify the group's reason for forming, and set expectations for those that join. like Monster Hunter. exactly like what destinylfg.net provides but in-game.

Warlocks can just glide across in one jump at the jumping puzzle. No need to actually do the puzzle.

Titan also.

I had to make two jumps. If there's a better way, I want to know.

All three classes can make the jumping puzzle with only jumping on two platforms, then going directly to the wall. Titan and warlock are similar, only difference is the titans jetpack runs out. Luckily you can always use a small boost with the titan right before you hit ground. Hunter is also easy. Double jump to get enough horizontal distance, then blade dance right before landing. Bonus: it looks bad ass too. Also triple jump is an option.

I'd like an exotic helmet for my lock :)

BUT i need more coins / motes., only have 16 coins and 23 motes :I

for me gjallahorn
for my hunter (Wifes really) a helmet becuase they are to darn expensive to buy

LiK

I'm a Titan. I do it in one-ish jumps. Ignore the first platform. Get your timing right so you land on the second just as it appears. From the second you can jump all the way down and land safely on that skinny ledge all the way below. You don't really need to land/wait on the second platform just enough to reset your jump. You can also death from above super to land in the area in zero jumps.

Ah, guess I'll try that.

Some gauntlets to get my Hunter to 30. After that, I'll see what my alt Titan or unborn Warlock can use.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
It's faster to kill Atheon the right way than to cheese if you ask me. And to all you cheesers... What happens when this gets patched and you're a level 30 who has no clue how to kill Atheon or hold your own in or out of the portal?

Normal and hard are two different beasts, so no one can say, well I killed Atheon on normal straight up so I know how to do it on hard.

Too much cheese leads to constipation.

Honestly, there's no need to ever kill him on hard the legit way if you are cheesing him. If you already got the raid helmet, vex, or whatever it is you want from him, those folks probably won't set foot into hard mode Atheon fight ever again.

Namikaze1

Titan chest piece.

I missed out on Alpha Lupi when is was being sold. Already have a helm and gauntlet. Just need leg and chest.

void666

Banned
The "woke the hive" mission is a quick way to farm XP for weapons and armor. That's usually what I do to level weapons once I've done my daily bounty missions. Just kill most of the enemies that come from the door and leave the knight and let him kill you, just keep doing that and you rack up XP quick.

Do you get more xp if you do it in higher difficulty levels?
Also do i have to be using the weapon to get xp or i just need to have it equiped?

I know bounties xp goes to everything that's equiped. But when i'm actually shooting stuff to me it seems like i only get upgrades on the weapon i'm using at the moment.

I'm faced with a dilemma. I just got another exotic bounty, and it's Thorn, Invective or Bad Juju. I already have Invective and Juju, but I'm not sure if thorn is worth the effort. (a) it's a difficult bounty and (b) the gun is underpowered.

Help me decide, GAF.

Insaniac

Just got the Heart of Praxic Fire from the Nightfall...

W0dVW3M.jpg

(don't have a pic, just posted this one so peeps can see what it looks like)

Such an amazing looking piece of armor.

Kills two birds with one stone, I get to ditch my ugly exotic helm and my Ugly chest piece

Praise the Sun!

Definity

Bungie will take its wrath out on us via the next raid - you guys watch lol.

Exactly what I was thinking. Hopefully they don't take the easy way out and use a generic enrage timer that just kills you on the spot. Also would hate to see "turn back or die messages" everywhere at the encounters. Time will tell though and I know the guys that design the raids at bungle are all over this by now.

realcZk

So last night on VoG hard we cheesed the templar oracles with only one guy on the ground, just camping in the spirit bloom cave. This is probably well known but in case not, I was able to shoot the very far back-right oracle from spawn by jumping down onto a lower right ledge. Everyone else had full visibility of the other oracles so the guy on the ground just had to AFK and everyone at spawn took them out. Easiest oracle phase ever.

Ardenyal

The "woke the hive" mission is a quick way to farm XP for weapons and armor. That's usually what I do to level weapons once I've done my daily bounty missions. Just kill most of the enemies that come from the door and leave the knight and let him kill you, just keep doing that and you rack up XP quick.

Does the level of the mission matter? I know heroic spawns more enemies but do lvl 12 enemies give same xp as 20?

Namikaze1

I got the Titan raid helmet three times now. All three have different stats. One has +101 Strength, one has +89 Intellect, and the third has +55 Strength and +53 Intellect. I only have the +101 Strength helmet fully maxed since that was my first helmet.

I'm faced with a dilemma. I just got another exotic bounty, and it's Thorn, Invective or Bad Juju. I already have Invective and Juju, but I'm not sure if thorn is worth the effort. (a) it's a difficult bounty and (b) the gun is underpowered.

Help me decide, GAF.

I done it, wasn't too difficult tbh although i'd say it's the hardest of the 3 to complete and quite possibly the hardest exotic bounty of them all.

It's getting buffed in the future too soooo.....

W0dVW3M.jpg

Kills two birds with one stone, I get to ditch my ugly exotic helm and my Ugly chest piece

Praise the Sun!

No guardian praise the void !!

Cømet

Banned

W0dVW3M.jpg

Praise the Sun!

Warlock robes are just amazing. I have voidfang at the moment, tiding me over til I get Praxic, but even this one looks amazing. Gonna be a hard choice between the two that's for sure.

So last night on VoG hard we cheesed the templar oracles with only one guy on the ground, just camping in the spirit bloom cave. This is probably well known but in case not, I was able to shoot the very far back-right oracle from spawn by jumping down onto a lower right ledge. Everyone else had full visibility of the other oracles so the guy on the ground just had to AFK and everyone at spawn took them out. Easiest oracle phase ever.

We did a similar thing except the relic guy took care of the oracles at the far back. Still managed to do it in few wipes though

I did the daily nightfall last night and was hoping for an exotic but all I got was 5 strange coins. I was a little pissed to say the least. I guess I need a few more for Xur this weekend so hopefully he has something good. I also go to level 3 Vanguard last night and got, a mote of light, an ascendant shard, and a legendary pulse rifle bad seed down. So overall it was a good night.

I got the Titan raid helmet three times now. All three have different stats. One has +101 Strength, one has +89 Intellect, and the third has +55 Strength and +53 Intellect. I only have the +101 Strength helmet fully maxed since that was my first helmet.

How did you manage to get the helmet 3 times? Dayum

E92 M3

Suros Regime

Really? If it that's the case, I might buy it. Though, everything I like becomes nerfed eventually.

Exactly what I was thinking. Hopefully they don't take the easy way out and use a generic enrage timer that just kills you on the spot. Also would hate to see "turn back or die messages" everywhere at the encounters. Time will tell though and I know the guys that design the raids at bungle are all over this by now.

I am very curious what they do with it. Raids are the best part of the game, so I am trusting them to do it right.

Jaleel

Cømet;134584744 said:
lol okay, whatever you say buddy. My eyes don't lie. Enjoy your time on the ignore list.

He's right bro. I have The Last Word, 2 shots doesnt kill a dude. Maybe someone used golden gun or in the chaos that is crucible was hard tell. You retort is coming off very childish. ZOMG IGNORE. Cmon dude. That's not how Legends act.

EL CUCO

W0dVW3M.jpg

Praise the Sun!

You found a pic of Heart of Praxic Fire on a Voidwalker...a rookie Warlock mistake. Lol

Yeah it's bugged. The first three upgrades say the exact same thing, none of which do anything. And I've yet to see the explosion headshot thing work. Works every time on my praedyth and very easy to notice.

Fix the ice breaker pls.

Edit: actually it is combust, not explode. Maybe I have seen that work sometimes.

i've been killed by an ice breaker and my body has turned into fire, which is what I think it does.

Useless upgrade is useless! woo

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Cømet;134581996 said:
HCs though.....two shots anywhere is currently a kill. Shit is still broke.
This is wrong, with the exception of one of the two being one of Hawkmoon's ace shots or another HC mod that does random bonus damage. 4 shots anywhere is a kill, or 1 headshot and two body shots.

Not even two headshots kill a fully-shielded target with full Toughness. Two headshots still require a quick tap somewhere else (or Thorn's DoT) to finish the job.
Ok, now I'm convinced the net code is just more broken than I thought it was. I tried using a half leveled The Last Word in Crucible post patch and it was taking like four shots to put anyone down. Usually it wouldn't put them down at all.
Four shots is exactly right and while it may well have been lag, it's also not as easy-as-operational-pie weapon like something like the SUROS Regime is.
Cømet;134584045 said:
Uhuh, uhuh. I know what hit me, what hit others. I'll take what's happening in front of me over "you're wrong mang" from a stranger on the internet any day.
Well... okay, but you'll actually be at a disadvantage
Cømet;134582935 said:
Crucible is utterly fucked. I don't know how or why, considering PvE doesn't seem to have the same problems (for the most part). It really needs removing, rewriting, and putting back in.
heh, really hope that doesn't happen, i'm loving it. just needs more modes and maps, and our list of guns that need buffs :)

EDIT: The HC demolishing an entire team with no effort in my last match was a painted crucible rare. So yeah. pretty fucked.
Logical fallacy. First, attack stats are irrelevant in the Crucible, so plenty of Rare guns are completely viable if you like them (I suggest the Galahad-E to starving AR fans
myself). Second, the fact that your entire team got demolished by an HC doesn't illustrate anything other than the fact that your entire team got demolished by someone who happens to use HCs. Why you ascribe this blindly to the weapon class is beyond me? Have you spent significant time playing with one? Let me put it this way: I've come first on servers using ARs, I've come first on servers using Fusion Rifles, and I've come first on servers using Hand Cannons. guess which one took the most effort and skill o_o

Zakalwe

Banned
For some guns, I assure you that you can. That reload speed for hand cannons may be a negligible asset when using most, but makes an enormous difference when considering Thorn's default. It's a massive weakness that can be deflected.

The reload speed isn't neligable even for fast reloading types like TLW.

I would run it every time I used a HC anyway, I think most people would too.

There's also the matter of how you want to use it- you wouldn't play even close to the same way with Thorn as you would with TLW or any other hand cannon for that matter.

Of course.

TLW has the same 3 headshot kill as all HCs, but the faster rate of fire makes them come quicker at the trade off of range. Then the hipfire, of course.

TLW can do precision and fullauto body thumping.

Thorn can only do precision shots, but it can leave the target to die instead of hitting the final shot.

TLW seems slightly more versatile to me.

With Mark of the Devourer:
2 headshots or 3 body shots, and disengage- unless the target gets health regen somehow from a skill or gear mod, that's a guaranteed kill from the DoT. This means that the magazine on Thorn is best looked at as a potential 3 kills before a reload if you're accurate. You aren't going to run in and pop shots off like candy as you would with TLW. You're going to plant accurate shots on target until you know they're as good as dead and then move on... never, ever reload early unless you're positive you're in the clear.

This is a fairly obvious way to use Thorn. :p

I will try it, but all reports from people I know who have both maxed suggest its fun but not as effective as TLW.

thorn played like TLW and TLW wins a hundred times over. but you can't play TLW like you can play Thorn at all.

Both have different playstyles that maxmise their efficiency, certainly.

There are a number of class-specific builds that could maximize it: Chain of Woe on Gunslinger is the simplest choice, any headshots that kill give you license to reload at a more normal speed. War Machine on defender could be incredibly effective well- spec to be able to keep force barrier up as much as possible. And I'm still not sure if Surge on Voidwalker increases reload speed or not. But of course a reload boost can be handled by gear too. The fourth build down here focuses on essentially being the most annoying thing ever by going for the full-DoT Sunsinger approach.

See, the only proper build here is the Sunsinger one (the rest are just using obvious reload buffs), and even then I'd think TLW would add more overall effectiveness to the build. Using Thorn would be more in sync and more fun maybe, but better?

You'd have to do some testing, but I don't really see Thorn edging it at all, not in its current state and going by what I've read/seen on videos etc...

Of course, I need to try it for myself. Will upgrade next and give it a go.

Last night in the crucible I also had this idea for one (didn't think out the full build, but a playstyle): run Thorn/shotgun, and use an initial shot from range on someone to "paint" them. The floating 7s from the DoT will keep their exact location revealed to you for 5 seconds. Edge around, swap, and slide in to finish them with one shotgun shot, which wouldn't have to be perfect (they'll have no shield). Repeat until one or the other needs reloading (at which point hopefully 5 other people are dead :D). A Titan running with Blessing of Light on their ward might be really well suited for this.

This is an interesting way to use the gun for sure.

hydruxo

Cømet;134581996 said:
So I finally got a chance at the "new and improved" Crucible. Still broken, just in a different way. Instead of an orgy of ARs, FRs and shotgun sliding, it's now an orgy of HCs, FRs and shotgun sliding.

HCs should not be better at killing than a freaking heavy machine gun. The damn weapon class has gone to the other extreme now.
Scout rifles actually feel about right. Two-three-four shots to kill depending on where you're hit (haven't used em in Crucible but not felt cheated being killed by one). HCs though.....two shots anywhere is currently a kill. Shit is still broke.

Far more hunters than before in Crucible too. I can see the way it's going. Guess I'll have to get Call of Duty after all for my balanced PvP fix.

EDIT: I've only just noticed the OT title is botched. Oh Dax...

So now people are complaining about HCs?

Unlike AR's and shotguns, you have to be precise and actually aim with a HC. If you miss a shot or two, you can easily be taken down. HCs are one of the few weapons that are balanced correctly. Nothing broken about them.

rdrr gnr

So now people are complaining about HCs?

Unlike AR's and shotguns, you have to be precise and actually aim with a HC. If you miss a shot or two, you can easily be taken down. HCs are one of the few weapons that are balanced correctly. Nothing broken about them.
You feel that way about FRs?

Deku Tree

Does anyone have a preference for the best scout rifle that is sold by the Vanguard Quartermaster?? ... there are two of them and one of them has a crazy letters and symbols name... not sure what is the consensus on which one is better... thanks!

Fusion Rifles should spray more from the hip, right now they seem to be more accurate then hard aiming them.

MG's can beast in PvP but you need the right type, the super slow firing ones are the bad ones, the super fast shooting ones also suck and you want one with really steady aim, those become really strong.

That's fine I'm just letting others know that you are wrong since you are misinformed. It's for their benefit not yours. Hand cannons don't kill in 2 body shots in crucible.

I'm sure almost anyone in the thread can verify. Even youtube can verify that it's nonsense.

I believe two headshots with luck in the chamber adding 33% to one of the bullets can do it, especially if your build is not set to armour for your class.

IMO ignore anything the gun stats say and test out guns personally, two handcannons with the same impact can be quite different and it's annoying.

Bizazedo

Cømet;134582935 said:
The PvP is shockingly all over the place and seems to be getting worse with each patch. Being able to kill each other at the same time in week one was charming and reminded me of Halo, and I liked it. But today, I'm able to apparently be killed, yet run around a bend and kill two others before I actually drop.
Lag was all over the place for me last night. I pumped 10 rounds from a heavy machine gun into a guy, he killed me, walked a few steps, and then died.

So that was cool :(.

We did something similar, except we used a Sunbro to revive so he could stay up with us and assist in the shooting. No lazy people in the spirit bloom room!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom