• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT8| Whine and Cheese

Status
Not open for further replies.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Wow so hardcore!
Lol

In all seriousness. Atheon can be taken down in 2-3 portal runs. People don't really need to cheese him.

That's not why people are cheesing him though. It's not because they couldn't do it otherwise (he's pretty easy), it's because a person can do it by himself, in a few minutes, without doing any other part of the raid and without needing to rely on 5 other people to not totally suck.

ok but should I run the Normal version? doing the heroic modifiers in the Dust Palace just results in lv 20 gear.
The gear is only rare.

That's not why people are cheesing him though. It's not because they couldn't do it otherwise (he's pretty easy), it's because a person can do it by himself, in a few minutes, without doing any other part of the raid and without needing to rely on 5 other people to not totally suck.
True.
I find the best part of the raid is going through it with your friends. I would hate to do it alone.

Bizazedo

I feel like the discussion in this game goes in circles. A level 2 guy with any gun can easily kill a Suros user. Suros doesn't give the user some magical powers. This has been the case since the game was released. That said, some guns are better than others, but no gun gives some mythical "kill everyone!!!" ability.
Well, not anymore!

Mythoclast, RIP in peace.

/shovels more dirt onto the grave to make sure it stays dead (for PvP)

ethomaz

Banned
Sounds like you're in Striker. Defender has the sticky grenade. Titans aren't like Hunters with awesome options all in one tree :).

And yes, it was bizarre. It feels like Titan has the worst melee despite being the alleged up close and personal bruiser type.
I checked on Bungie.net... it is the default sub-class (I don't know you can use the second one on the alt char without reach lvl15)... Striker.

I just need to get used to the melee... I'm missing most of the time the first hit (the stronger)... Warlock made me lazy to close before use melee :p

realcZk

Is it? I have the Invective bounty. But I'm not really a shotgun guy... should I just trash the bounty? I'm really just after a legendary void sniper at this point anyway.

You might as well finish it for the energy shards if it turns out you don't like it. It used to be good in PvP but I'm not sure now since the range nerf you're probably better off meleeing people.

Bizazedo

I checked on Bungie.net... it is the default sub-class (I don't know you can use the second one on the alt char without reach lvl15)... Striker.

I just need to get used to the melee... I'm missing most of the time the first hit (the stronger)... Warlock made me lazy to close before use melee :p

Warlock melee is incredible compared to Striker.

Once you get used to it, the Titan will lunge and punch when it's lined up / in range, especially if you're sprinting....but yeah, Warlock range is better.

Also, our overshield comes from melee kills. Warlocks come from just hitting someone :(.

On the bright side, if you're in Striker and have Storm Fist up, if you panic and hipfire / spray bullets as someone is near you and hit one or two times, the Storm Fist will generally one hit kill if charged. Don't need to shotgun / melee, virtually any hit will allow the follow up to kill.

If Storm Fist is charged.

It's dmg and accuracy nerf make it useless against minotaurs and praetaurions(sp?)
It's only good for taking the shields down. That's how it's always been. Usually use rockets on them or fusion rifles.

I like the large mag and high rate of fire. Stability upgrade helps a lot. Wish it had more impact tho.

Wow so hardcore!
Lol

In all seriousness. Atheon can be taken down in 2-3 portal runs. People don't really need to cheese him.

Has nothing to do with "hardcore," I don't care about that. It's just boring, and I'm surprised it's taken so long to patch it out. I certainly agree with you that it's unnecessary, there just seems to be a psychological hang up when people know there's an "easy way" to do something (e.g. loot cave).

I can do Hard Raid without cheese with you want a help ;)

Haha yeah I'm up for it if we can find a group, I want to do a fresh run though.

ethomaz

Banned
Is the overshield Titan Melee gives on kill you any stronger than the Warlock one on hit?

The Striker's lightning grenade is very good if you extended its dot effect. Persists after death and can lock down an area.

Defender magnetic grenade (as described above) and suppression grenade (shut off supers) are great, too.

Never tried the flash grenade in pvp. Can anyone give an opinion on it?
I don't know yet because my Titan didn't have shield with melee yet... on Sunsinger I can choose between flame shield (just need hit... no kill) or burn damage over time (and a third that I don't remember).

In normal Crucible the full changed melee of Sunsinger is one hit kill most of time from a mid to close range... and even on Iron Banner it will burn after few seconds.... a lot of time I died doing melee to see the opponent health go zero before respawn.

I will get used to Titan... I'm just at lvl 8 yet.

My PS4 sometimes triple-beeps when it's been turned off for a while, and in occasions continually ejects when on. Unplugging during a minute or two seems solve the problem for a few days, but I hope I don't have to screw around inside the console or send it in for repairs this soon (and miss quite some days of Destiny) :C

Can someone run down what to do on first half of Aetheon fight? Specifically, once you nab relic and book it outside, conflux comes up. What is best way to manage mob and protect the conflux? We kept dying. All I can think of his using my helm of st 14 or whatever bubbleshield at top of stairs to slow them down. Is that sensible?

We did this last night:

3 people go into Red gate, get Gatekeeper to 10%.
Fall Back
3 people into Green gate, kill Gatekeeper.
Bring Relic out
2 people go into Red gate, kill Gatekeeper.
Bring Relic out

This way prevents you from having to worry about the sacrifices for very long. It's also no where near as complicated as it sounds, or is explained. My first raid, someone suggested this, and it sounded like a complicated mess. Last night we did this and it was super easy.

On normal. yes. We've done it in 2 portal runs. Time taken was 3 minutes.

Cheese time = 2 minutes approx.

The issue is lag and glitches. You do it the normal way and sometimes the wrong players get teleported, players get stuck in portals, or the relic drops on its own.

Don't even get me started on the glitchy gameplay in the gatekeepers phase. These are things bungie needs to fix instead of cheesing and loot caves.

And fuck hard Atheon for giving shards, ships and shaders over and over again. There must be a dedicated loot drop with chance for shards and cosmetic shit.

Sorral

It's dmg and accuracy nerf make it useless against minotaurs and praetaurions(sp?)

No, just used it yesterday. It is a bit more annoying to use at mid-range, but it is definitely fine against these enemies.

I thought it was just precision damage modifier reduction on ARs from 1.5 to 1.25 and a little bit more recoil. Both mean nothing on minotaurs and praetorian.

Ramirez

Has nothing to do with "hardcore," I don't care about that. It's just boring, and I'm surprised it's taken so long to patch it out. I certainly agree with you that it's unnecessary, there just seems to be a psychological hang up when people know there's an "easy way" to do something (e.g. loot cave.

I don't think its a hang up, majority of groups wouldn't be abLe to do the whole raid on hard without cheese.

Here's my question...once you get that gear from cheesing, what's the point in playing? Are you going for a Mytho to run Tiger strikes? Just seems pointless to me if you don't want to actually complete the hard content without cheesing it.

We did this last night:

Fall Back
Bring Relic out
Bring Relic out

This way prevents you from having to worry about the sacrifices for very long. It's also no where near as complicated as it sounds, or is explained. My first raid, someone suggested this, and it sounded like a complicated mess. Last night we did this and it was super easy.

We prefer doing it one portal at a time, it's much faster and less chances of screwing up in the portals due to glitching and cleansing. Especially on hard, managing both portals at once is tough.

Bizazedo

We did this last night:

Fall Back
Bring Relic out
Bring Relic out

Probably the best way as it doesn't rely on specific weapons / gear.

When we did it on hard, we had a Gjallahorn or two and that ripped the Gatekeepers apart. So we'd send 3 into one, unload on the Gatekeeper. One would leave early to help outside / get out before the Gatekeeper died to avoid the debuff. Gatekeeper died, relic obtained, the two guys then exited and went to the next gate and killed the Gatekeeper while 4 of us defended on the outside.

Gjallahorn is what really felt like what made it feel so easy, though. Again, the posted method above is probably better for most squads.

Pillville

Just finished the campaign.

I never thought another AAA game could give Rage competition for most "non-story" and "non-ending". There's not even an achievement/trophy for finishing the campaign.

Seriously, there was ZERO story/ending.

I don't think its a hang up, majority of groups wouldn't be abLe to do the whole raid on hard without cheese.

Here's my question...once you get that gear from cheesing, what's the point in playing? Are you going for a Mytho to run Tiger strikes? Just seems pointless to me if you don't want to actually complete the hard content without cheesing it.

Yeah I definitely agree with what you are saying. I've played with some people who were Lv 25+ but had basically only done the loot cave and were absolutely terrible at the game. Oh well, to each their own.

On normal. yes. We've done it in 2 portal runs. Time taken was 3 minutes.

Cheese time = 2 minutes approx.

The issue is lag and glitches. You do it the normal way and sometimes the wrong players get teleported, players get stuck in portals, or the relic drops on its own.

Don't even get me started on the glitchy gameplay in the gatekeepers phase. These are things bungie needs to fix instead of cheesing and loot caves.

And fuck hard Atheon for giving shards, ships and shaders over and over again. There must be a dedicated loot drop with chance for shards and cosmetic shit.

I believe we wiped once due to lag during that run. Clearing Atheon in 2 runs was exhilarating.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
We did this last night:

Fall Back
Bring Relic out
Bring Relic out

I didn't even know you could do this. Waow.

Bizazedo

Just finished the campaign.

I never thought another AAA game could give Rage competition for most "non-story" and "non-ending". There's not even an achievement/trophy for finishing the campaign.

Seriously, there was ZERO story/ending.

Smartass Answer = The story never ends, so why make a trophy for it? Roflcopter etc. :(.

I don't know how this happened but I just got matched into a control game where it was 6 vs 2 from the start. Took another minute or so to find the other 4 people for my team.

How does that happen?

Booties

Banned
hahahaha Holy shit $35-$40 for the two DLC? Get the fuck out of here bungie. Gonna sell this game while I can still get a decent return.

bargeparty

No, just used it yesterday. It is a bit more annoying to use at mid-range, but it is definitely fine against these enemies.

I thought it was just precision damage modifier reduction on ARs from 1.5 to 1.25 and a little bit more recoil. Both mean nothing on minotaurs and praetorian.

Yeah so did i and it wasn't worth equipping over my shadow price.

So, 3 go to Green and 2 into Red Simultaneously? Gates won't close

I did not know this!

So if you're in the gate after you kill the keeper, you get the debuff and have to be cleansed?

No, not at the same time. 3 people are outside defending the appropriate sync plates at all times.

3 people go into first gate, and reduces the gatekeepers health to 10%. Then all 3 leave.
All 6 people shift to the other side, with 3 defenders still and 3 going into the portal. The 3 in the portal now kill the second gatekeeper and pull the relic out of the 2nd portal. The 3 leave the portal.
5 people shift back to the first portal, 3 defenders, 2 going into the portal. The current Relic holder just does whatever, mostly, staying safe.
The 2 people who are now in the first portal should be able to take the Gatekeeper down in seconds. They grab the second Relic and run out.

This lets you avoid the minotaurs trying to sacrifice themselves. As I understand it, it takes 4 minotaurs to sacrifice causing a wipe, so you can ignore the first 1 or two of them.

When both relics are out, everyone falls to the center and kills the big minotaurs that start coming through the portal.

dengatron

I didn't even know you could do this. Waow.
A lot of wasted effort on hard. We have 2 people go in to left portal first and go to the back right of the room and icebreak the gatekeeper until hes nearly dead then someome speedily runs along the right side while the one that stayed kills the keeper and runs out. First dude grabs the shield and exits. Same 2 go into right venusy portal and use shield super and rockets to kill everything in 10 seconds and get the second shield in less time than opening 3 different portals

LiK

I don't suppose my Raid crew tonight will be willing to change their clan tags so I can get the clan trophy? Most likely not.

Bizazedo

No, his team opens Green. They then exit Green with Gatekeeper at low life and then go open Red. Then they go back and finish off Green once Red is done. It makes it so the central conflux doesn't have to deal with the minotaurs from Atheon's spawn point for long / if at all, depending on your speed.

I did not know this!

So if you're in the gate after you kill the keeper, you get the debuff and have to be cleansed?

Once the gatekeeper dies, that's when the debuff kicks in that requires the cleanse from the Relic, yes. So you can go in, fire off a few rockets, drop a bubble, and jump out before the Gatekeeper dies and never have to be cleansed.

I don't know how this happened but I just got matched into a control game where it was 6 vs 2 from the start. Took another minute or so to find the other 4 people for my team.

How does that happen?

A pre-made of 4 dudes could've left or been hit by Bee / Zebra bugs.

I was in a Crucible match where all of a sudden all 11 guys got kicked, leaving me alone. Free top score medal I guess.

I did not know this!

Do left (Mars/red) portal first since it has Praetorians. Just hang back and snipe / use rockets. Call when you are coming out so that the outside team can move to the other vex plate.

The first relic carrier and one more player then go into the right (Venus/green) portal. Use the relic super and rockets to quickly deal with the gatekeeper, other player grabs the relic and both exit as quickly as you can. Call when you are coming out so everyone can move to the middle and protect the conflux.

Relic guys bash the Praetorians while rest of the team assist with adds. The final part is time based so even if one player makes it, you'll beat it and get the loot + checkpoint.

On hard today, our team died at the very end but as soon as we got to the mission score screen, everyone received loot :p

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
A lot of wasted effort on hard. We have 2 people go in to left portal first and go to the back right of the room and icebreak the gatekeeper until hes nearly dead then someome speedily runs along the right side while the one that stayed kills the keeper and runs out. First dude grabs the shield and exits. Same 2 go into right venusy portal and use shield super and rockets to kill everything in 10 seconds and get the second shield in less time than opening 3 different portals

Yep, this is my preferred method.

The stability can be nearly maxed and it's like a rock, or charge time can be almost doubled. It has great overall stats, too.

fantastic gun, dominant during arc burns. don't forget to roll around with your primary out to be able to take advantage of the swap charge

That's the best fusion rifle in the game right now IMO since the other exotic one (pocket infinity) got nerfed. I got one almost fully upgraded. Fantastic.

Thanks for the info. The Pocket Infinity is still great imo. 8 rounds in PvP was a bit of a hassle anyway so I stopped using it before the patch. One round can kill at decent range, 3+ in 2 secs can kill or clear out a room.

gatti-man

No obfense, but i think you guys are just bad. I started my alt level 2 titan and i wrecked every single suros guy with the first rifle in the game and k/d > 1. I honestly think that being a loot game these gubs must be much stronger, i shouldn't even get a kill. Not to talk about that ridiculous Iron Banner thing, straight up lying from Bungie about level differencies.

I think the next iron banner will be far more hardcore.

Sure this can work, but what you suggested above would work better for people more familiar with all the encounters.

What I suggested is something I would use more for people who've never done the raid before. It's more of a slow and steady, take your time approach. Plus, it prevents having to deter someone from having to worry about job reassignment halfway through.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom