• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT8| Whine and Cheese

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like the weapon variety in Destiny. In Halo you got to use Alien Weapons and all that. But there weren't that many of them... in Destiny there are so many different weapons. Love it.

Really?

I find the weapon variety extremely limiting. Have you played borderlands 2?

There were different manufacturers. Each had their own design and calling card. It'd be cool if we had the same. Imagine a Suros hand cannon, rocket launcher, sniper, etc. All with the same design element and feel and sound to them.

Sullichin

I like the weapon variety in Destiny. In Halo you got to use Alien Weapons and all that. But there weren't that many of them... in Destiny there are so many different weapons. Love it.

Kinda wish Destiny had way more weapon variety honestly. Halo has more weapons that feel fundamentally different from each other.
The pulse rifle is almost redundant. I wish it was a more unique type of weapon, something crazy like the needler rather than something that's barely different than the scout rifle.

patchday

control's a lousy gametype anyway, at least on the maps in Destiny because of the zone placements and the way it influences the spawns.

But most of the maps have high ceilings where it counts, unless it's a chokepoint designed to limit movement. If there's an inherent problem in that regard, it's that these chokepoints exist in excess.

You guys all rock thank you for your responses btw

So is PvP back to being a Suros Regime fest? I guess if everyone's using the Suros, the people who are good at aiming for the head will come out on top..

I got another Suros from nightfall. I think I am not going to upgrade it, and keep the higher fire rate vs my old upgraded Suros, with it's lower ROF but higher dmg

What's the reasoning for not letting characters wear more than 1 piece of Exotic armor at a time?

To keep the playing field level. It doesn't matter how many exotics you have, people can only have one at a time. So the guy who's played 200 hours and has 8 still can only equip one, just like the person who's played 40 and just bought their first from Xur. The 200 hour person is still rewarded, tho, because they have more choices.

Grimsen

all vault of glass rewards are weekly, per character.
you can either do the raid once on normal and then again on hard and get loot
or just do hard and get normal+hard loot.

Thanks for that. I didn't know the normal and hard raids had linked loot.

In other words, if you do the hard raid first, then the normal raid, you get nothing on your normal run?

Ambitious

I would imagine this would be difficult. They would have to check every single person in the match and not select any of the maps that any of those 3-12 players just immediately played.

For each map, count how many players played it previously. From those with the lowest count - which will be a single one in the best case - randomly select one. It's not difficult.

Patroclos

Banned
Hi is anyone willing to help me out cheese atheon on hard, i am using titan right now , trying to solo it. Have been helping other people do it with my warlock at least 8 times this week , but strange when i need help no one seems to respond, experienced cheeser and ones that can do it before being teleported , any help much appriciated
edit psn on ps4 nuszka

Somebody help this man! I would but I only have a Hunter. Nuszka is a awesome, he helped us cheese it earlier this week.

MADGAME

To keep the playing field level. It doesn't matter how many exotics you have, people can only have one at a time. So the guy who's played 200 hours and has 8 still can only equip one, just like the person who's played 40 and just bought their first from Xur. The 200 hour person is still rewarded, tho, because they have more choices.

I assume you mean for PvP, since it doesn't matter in PvE. the 200 hour person probably has more weapons for each scenario and fully upgraded too for more perks, than the 40 hour person so the advantage is still there.

Seems more like a timegate to higher levels to me.

Special C

i'll add in my experience.

My regular ass stereo tv can't really output that chest hum very well but my stereo headset grabbing sound via hdmi capture card on my pc while I play can hear chests really clearly.

But i'll put that down to a headset being better for smaller sounds more then anything.

Wa whaaaat. There is a noise that indicates lootables are nearby? Mind Blown. I typically only wear my Turtle Beaches during Strikes with friends, now I'm gonna have to put them on while farming.

I believe they are random, because I got a legendary engram on my hunter and it became a warlock item.

Oh they definitely are. I had a full set of Warlock and Hunter Armor before I had even made anything besides my titan. I was just suggesting that the class/character that decodes the engram seems to have no, or minimal, impact on what the item turns out to be.

milkham

In other words, if you do the hard raid first, then the normal raid, you get nothing on your normal run?

yeah, i threw atheon off on hard tuesday morning when everyone thought it would be patched but wasnt, so when i finished normal raid I got nothing for that segment of the raid.

Zephyl

Correct because you the loot from both hard and normal, so if you ran normal afterwards you'd get nothing.

EL CUCO

Sigh, I would have rather raided with you guys than paid 130 for a meal at a fancy restaurant.

Also let me know if you will be raiding on your alts also. After I do this raid I still need to do 2 more

Yeah this weekend for sure. I'll let you know

Wa whaaaat. There is a noise that indicates lootables are nearby? Mind Blown. I typically only wear my Turtle Beaches during Strikes with friends, now I'm gonna have to put them on while farming.

chests have a noticeable hum. gold chests seem a bit louder than silver/alien ones. mats all have the same steady twinkle. you can hear them from 10-30 meters away depending on your sound mix/headset.

you can almost farm rocketyard with your eyes closed. walk along the route and you'll hear stuff just as often as you see them. have seen people skip chests in the buildings because they didn't hear them at the back of the room as we entered.

Really? I just got one from nightfall and it doesn't seem all that amazing.

It's really good in PvP. PvE? Meh.

I missed it the first time but bought it this time. It is definitely going to get specifically nerfed at some point, but with the way Bungie does things you'll probably get a good month out of before they get to it.

PSN is being lagging and kicked me off of the group I was with and on PSN. Luckily someone sent me an invite when I got back on so screw it. We all were logging.

Yeah this weekend for sure. I'll let you know

Thanks bro.

--

Also if I get legs from this raid, I'm going to go buy the Hunter chest just to level it up so I can hit level 30 (I have raid helmet but I have the mask of the third man).

I don't use Hand Cannons but I just got The Last Word from an engram. How good is it? I just bought SUROS Regime and like it so any opinions will be helpful. Thanks.

pringles

control's a lousy gametype anyway, at least on the maps in Destiny because of the zone placements and the way it influences the spawns.

But most of the maps have high ceilings where it counts, unless it's a chokepoint designed to limit movement. If there's an inherent problem in that regard, it's that these chokepoints exist in excess.
Control is so good. Every map sucks in Deathmatch, every map is at least okay in Control. Bastion and First Light for example. Ridiculously stupid when there are no zones to capture. Everyone running around the outer edges of the maps with Icebreakers.
Shores Of Time, Twilight Gap and Rusted Lands are all climbing the ranks of my all-time favorite MP maps, 100% because they are such fun Control maps.

In deathmatch there is nothing creating movement around the map. Everything is so static. In Halo you had Rocket/Sniper spawns to fight over, in Destiny the multiple heavy weapon ammo spawns means both teams can just camp their side of the map and still get Heavy Ammo.

Control is so good. In deathmatch there is nothing creating movement around the map. Everything is so static.

Control is my favorite mode, but I really really wish they had more objective-based modes. Deathmatch/Team DM hasn't been interesting to me since my first online MP experience with Unreal Tournament. I agree with you, basic DM just gets super boring for me. I want more strategies/goals to think about besides basic twitch shooter stuff. Of course there's some strategy in DM but it's not the same.

Deku Tree

I want some pew-pew guns.

me too!

Really?

I find the weapon variety extremely limiting. Have you played borderlands 2?

There were different manufacturers. Each had their own design and calling card. It'd be cool if we had the same. Imagine a Suros hand cannon, rocket launcher, sniper, etc. All with the same design element and feel and sound to them.

Nope. Never played borderlands. But I really like top notch gunplay as in Destiny.

Kinda wish Destiny had way more weapon variety honestly. Halo has more weapons that feel fundamentally different from each other.
The pulse rifle is almost redundant. I wish it was a more unique type of weapon, something crazy like the needler rather than something that's barely different than the scout rifle.

All Pulse rifles are basically crap in Destiny. They need a buff badly.

Control is so good. Every map sucks in Deathmatch, every map is at least okay in Control. Bastion and First Light for example. Ridiculously stupid when there are no zones to capture. Everyone running around the outer edges of the maps with Icebreakers.
Shores Of Time, Twilight Gap and Rusted Lands are all climbing the ranks of my all-time favorite MP maps, 100% because they are such fun Control maps.

In deathmatch there is nothing creating movement around the map. Everything is so static. In Halo you had Rocket/Sniper spawns to fight over, in Destiny the multiple heavy weapon ammo spawns means both teams can just camp their side of the map and still get Heavy Ammo.

reiterating, the problem with control is that it forces spawns too heavily and artificially controls traffic on maps. on maps where sightlines and power positions are worth fighting over (of which there are few), combat flows naturally between these areas. but throw control into the mix and suddenly a chokepoint that wouldn't (or shouldn't) see much traffic is now being heavily contested. meanwhile, players are spawning on the same spawn points for the whole game.

i prefer clash on most of the maps that support 6v6 well because the game isn't limiting the way i move around the map.

expanding, destiny's maps have a disappointing lack of power positions. players are encouraged to run around [with shotguns] chasing red blips on their radar rather than fight for control over dominant lines of sight or height advantage. it makes the maps play very linear and flat, which is ironic considering we have more mobility than other shooters, especially Bungie's past games.

There are maps I really like playing on, but their designers have a lot to learn for building future arenas.

ZangBa

I hated pulse rifles until this weeks nightfall had arc burn on it. My pulse rifle has arc damage, it was incredibly useful.

squidyj

So.... thinking about what I would do if I had gjallarhorn.....

seems like it's quite tough to get a high impact legendary sniper

i looked at destinydb seems like the best was iron banner and upcoming trial of osiris]
and probably only good then if you can get the right version

I really like Control too. Fire Base Delphi is another good one. But the control point locations are terribad on many of the maps. The worst is Blind Watch: capping A is practically auto-lose. And the maps themselves can be very lopsided. Half of Bastion isn't even used. And I despise First Light.

This is how I feel about it. Most of the maps are too large and wide open with too few players to justify just straight deathmatch and it tends to boil down to everyone running around with sniper rifles and camping harder. Plus since everyone spreads out more, there always seems to be less action and dying means having to slog all the way back to somewhere with something going on (which is an extra pain in the ass in a game with so many OHKs).

Control at least promotes hot spots and objectives that make you feel like you're contributing even when no one else is around. Blind Watch is really the only map with extremely unfair control point placement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom