• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex Human Revolution E3 demo impressions

subversus said:
previews said it's not polished enough, that's why

Again, seeing as this has Early 2011 release date I'm worried. They should have it up and running by now, polished as well. It's not like they are showing the whole game.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Linkzg said:
yeah, I will admit that hearing that it has a standard health regen system is a bit weak. I was giving them the benefit of the doubt and thinking they would have something along the lines of Far Cry 2 or Riddick where minor injuries regenerate, but any serious damage is lasting until you properly treat yourself.

Your health will regen with your aug energy receding, so it comes at some price.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Castor Krieg said:
Again, seeing as this has Early 2011 release date I'm worried. They should have it up and running by now, polished as well. It's not like they are showing the whole game.

It'll be released unpolished with "flawed-gem-old-pc-title" flavour :lol

Jenga

Banned
Pinko Marx said:
Like has been said before, if you have to use stealth, which incorporates a set of skills (patience, timing, observation, etc.), to creep up to someone without getting spotted, then its not insta-win. I could see if all you had to do was run up to someone and mash A, but that doesn't seem to be the case. These are stealth take downs, meaning the enemy can't be aware of your presence.

i'm talking insta-win compared to how it was done previously.

here, you get a prompt to (I'm guessing) either an instant silent lethal, or non-lethal takedown whenever you get behind them. In Deus Ex you had to use a baton, prod, or whatever have you, and actually aim at their head or whatever in order to properly take em out, Thief style. Unlike the instant takedown prompt, there is an actual chance at screwing up and you'd either end up with the dude turning around and shooting you in the face, or alerting the entire base, and blah blah it goes on. That's what I was referring to when I said instant-win button for stealth. It really does take out an integral part of the stealth that was a big part of the original.

subversus said:
Your health will regen with your aug energy receding, so it comes at some price.
Like I said before, it all depends on how they choose to balance it. There's more than enough development time for them to balance everything out, so hopefully we'll hear of better things regarding health regen. Do we know how aug energy recharges?

Metal B

Maffis said:
- Looking around corners/cover looked really great. You can really see a good bit down the way from where you're peeping into without exposing yourself. Again, minor, but it's one of those things that always bug me.
What this awful! If i look behind a corners or cover there should be some risk. The point is to know, hear or use abilities, so that you can make a choice to take the risk or not. They destroying the fun of stealth.

Sciz

Jenga said:
Like I said before, it all depends on how they choose to balance it. There's more than enough development time for them to balance everything out, so hopefully we'll hear of better things regarding health regen. Do we know how aug energy recharges?
Your last unit always automatically regenerates over time. All of the others have to be refilled externally.

Wallach

Jenga said:
killing four people at a touch of a button might as well be insta-win

or creeping up behind someone and get a prompt to instantly kill them

It's more interesting than creeping up behind them and getting an auto-KO by prodding them in the back of the knee like I did through quite a lot of DE.

Timekiller said:
HARD TO COMPLAIN ABOUT THAT? Oh god, this is making me puke.

And funny thing is that, when i complained about the fact that in the CG trailer you could already clearly see this coming, some guys even dealt me some sarcasm.

Releasing a ton of shells that fly and explode in the middle of four enemies? Blades out of his elbows? Oh god, this is the most PATHETIC thing i've ever heahy vrd.

Ok, does anyone have a link to the thread where we discussed wideogames are still a medium for a niche of nerds? :lol

ps. In bold, the pant-pissing moments of this sad ruffian PR-non-PR journalist

oh god, what the hell is going on? This game actually might have fun combat? Obviously then, the developer must be creatively bankrupt.

ColonelColon said:
oh god, what the hell is going on? This game actually might have fun combat? Obviously then, the developer must be creatively bankrupt.

Fun? Dude, my concept of fun goes the opposite way. I actually think that your concept of fun is more similar to some other concepts of mine, like "ridiculous" or "cheesy" or "pathetic". Good thing that this industry mostly makes games for your taste, almost never for mine :lol

Wallach said:
It's more interesting than creeping up behind them and getting an auto-KO by prodding them in the back of the knee like I did through quite a lot of DE.

I have never stealthed in DE, the games was at its best when combat was not ongoing so I did my best to make sure that I was in combat as little as possible (Sniper Rifle FTW).

As for Human Revolution, I am not looking for a Deus Ex successor, I am looking for a cool Cyberpunk game as made by Eidos and Square Enix.

I am getting that game, so it is all good.

Jenga

Banned
Wallach said:
That was never intended however. Well, as far as I was led to believe. I heard about it years later, and assumed it was a bug they didn't catch.

Wallach said:

That's exactly the same thing as the stealth kills, which I personally don't have any issue with. Hell I did something similar in the original with a silenced pistol and it was fucking fun. If you go to the effort of sneaking right up to the guy unnoticed then you should be awarded with the kill; wrist blades are pretty stupid but I'll just have to pretend they're knives. The shells room 'splode on the other hand sounds pretty ludicrous.

Wallach

Spirit of Jazz said:
That's exactly the same thing as the stealth kills, which I personally don't have any issue with. Hell I did something similar in the original with a silenced pistol and it was fucking fun. If you go to the effort of sneaking right up to the guy unnoticed then you should be awarded with the kill; wrist blades are pretty stupid but I'll just have to pretend they're knives. The shells room 'splode on the other hand sounds pretty ludicrous.

Um, right. My point is that if I'm going to be rewarded with stealth kills for being good at stealth, I'm pretty much OK with them being flashy or interesting. I always wanted it to be cooler because Denton is supposed to be a cybernetic bad ass and all I mostly did was 'taze people like I was wearing a badge.

Wallach said:
I always wanted it to be cooler because Denton is supposed to be a cybernetic bad ass and all I mostly did was 'taze people like I was wearing a badge.

Ah, why it's you and not me. :(

Why, oh why, you're a model to this industry and SquareEnix works for you rather then me :lol

Wallach said:
Um, right. My point is that if I'm going to be rewarded with stealth kills for being good at stealth, I'm pretty much OK with them being flashy or interesting. I always wanted it to be cooler because Denton is supposed to be a cybernetic bad ass and all I mostly did was 'taze people like I was wearing a badge.

Um, right. My point was I was agreeing with there though you could of just shot people in the back of the head if you wanted to be 'cooler'. To be honest I think you're forgetting the time frame here, it couldn't be any cooler with melee takedown because it would always be some shitty 1st person UE2 strike animation. My other point was that the whole "killing four people at a touch of a button might as well be insta-win" (which was also in your first quote) sounds pretty stupid.

Jenga

Banned
Wallach said:
I always wanted it to be cooler because Denton is supposed to be a cybernetic bad ass and all I mostly did was 'taze people like I was wearing a badge.
"We're taking a minimum-force approach. We're cops, after all."

Zoc

thetrin said:
Not really. Deus Ex was MUCH more an RPG than a shooter. MUCH MUCH more.

Fair point.

Anyway, I'm always surprised at how everybody always seems to have a different opinion about Deus Ex. Online forums usually form collective opinions pretty quickly, and punish anyone who strays from it. Personally, when I finished Deus Ex, the first thought I had was "I can't wait for them to fix all the huge flaws this game had in the sequel," so I'm definitely keeping an eye on this.

Timekiller said:

Why, oh why, you're a model to this industry and SquareEnix works for you rather then me :lol

Simple mathematics: There are more of 'him' than there are of 'you.'

Also, those screens look rough. There is a serious and disturbing lack of AA in those pics.

UrbanRats

I can see TimeKiller's point and, coming from the Silent Hill thread, i can put it in context and understand it even more but, at the same time, i wonder how did you(Time Killer) survived in this medium so long, man.
Videogames have always been pretty cheesy, to an extent, similar to, say, Ghost in the Shell.
Unfortunately(as i was saying in the SH thread)there's not much space for really serious stuff.

On my part, i simply can enjoy both worlds, even though i would like a more balanced share of serious games, but such is the market.

After all, the premise of Deus Ex in the first place, kinda demand some extent of cheesyness.

That said, i would like to see this finish moves with my own eyes, to understand HOW cheesy they are, before judging and don't think they can ruin the game altogether.

Wallach

Timekiller said:

I don't get it, really. Games like Deus Ex, Fallout, System Shock - I bought these games when they released because I wanted to support those types of games. Why am I the bad guy? I love quite a lot about the original Deus Ex, I just don't put it on a pedestal at all and personally think there's a lot about that game that could use fixing. It wasn't interesting to have a ton of abilities that weren't rewarding to put points into, nor did I think a lot of the gameplay aspects - particularly hacking and stealth - were fun to actually do. The ramifications of those actions was quite enjoyable and why I continued to play the game and experience the (what I thought at the time was an amazing) story. I want those options and ramifications to persist, but gameplay - and entertainment - is paramount. I derive no pleasure from filling bars or increasing numbers on a screen, even though I love RPGs - it's a means to an end to be able to fulfill a lot of satisfying gameplay elements. That's it.

Wallach said:
I don't get it, really. Games like Deus Ex, Fallout, System Shock - I bought these games when they released because I wanted to support those types of games. Why am I the bad guy? I love quite a lot about the original Deus Ex, I just don't put it on a pedestal at all and personally think there's a lot about that game that could use fixing. It wasn't interesting to have a ton of abilities that weren't rewarding to put points into, nor did I think a lot of the gameplay aspects - particularly hacking and stealth - were fun to actually do. The ramifications of those actions was quite enjoyable and why I continued to play the game and experience the (what I thought at the time was an amazing) story. I want those options and ramifications to persist, but gameplay - and entertainment - is paramount. I derive no pleasure from filling bars or increasing numbers on a screen, even though I love RPGs - it's a means to an end to be able to fulfill a lot of satisfying gameplay elements. That's it.

Very, very true.

UrbanRats

Larson Conway said:
Is the concept art look/feel to the graphics a deliberate thing? I dig
I dig it too, but lowres plu lack of AA is REALLY disturbing me.
But this is an early built and the PC version should avoid those issues easily.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
lorddarkflare said:
Those look particularly lacking though.
Some look horribly scaled, yeah. That chair by the window especially. Strange, considering the hacking UI, and surrounding environment directly after looks pretty sharp.
First impression is that its a mixed bag, but then I see the bar shot, and I know that I, at least, will be in for something quite pretty.

UrbanRats said:
I dig it too, but lowres plu lack of AA is REALLY disturbing me.
But this is an early built and the PC version should avoid those issues easily.

Same here - love the art style but wish it was a little sharper. Looks like my PC can handle this easily, but I really want to play this on PS3.

UrbanRats

Lyphen said:
I thought console peasants were used to 720p and no AA.
I was, but then i found out GaF and its PC HD Screenshots Thread, dammit. :mad:
Looks like my PC can handle this easily, but I really want to play this on PS3.
If it's for the gamepad, i think the PC ver. will support one.

Wallach said:

Hehe, don't take it too seriously - there's no good or bad guy here. You have your tastes, and noone is here to judge you. But i don't think you really understand what gameplay means - gameplay is the game played by a player, not something that is on disc. It's me playing the game. So what does exactly mean "gameplay and entertainment is paramount"? What can make the game better for you can clearly make it worse for me, and this is the case. Entertainment? I'm looking for experiences worth living, not simple superficial entertainment. For you a cool looking fun sequence is what matters? For me a wide complex array of deeper emotions is needed, and ever cheesy element kills it.
That's why i'm complaining, you don't have anything to do with it. My problem is called Square Enix, and the fact that 95% of the people support their choices so they will continue with their policy.
And so, it all starts with the characterization and the content: this DX is Marvel Comic Book material level at best, something that i would read for a second if found in a public toilet because it's just what sucks so much that is perfect to inspire a crap, when it once held the potential to be a modern landmark.

SO

I just mean that for the ones like you thinking that those takedowns are what add "stylish" and "interesting" and "bad ass" and "cool" to the DX context, you'll get your game.
Square Enix is working for you.
They take a bleak and desperate future with a deep potential and say "hey, let's make it bad ass, not desperate. Hostile, and you kick ass in it. Let's make the guy a superhero, not a beaten up human being like Rick Deckard in DADOES. You want your dystopia because it's cool, but you don't want to understand that a streetcop in that future would just be the most ignored gear in a fucked up system, the most desperate lowlife trying to make a living by dealing more violence without a way out of it.

Just to make an idea - This is the life Batou lives: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lir5kdx4neo

The killings, the terrible violence he is able to deal is something that he does because - 1st he is a mass murder weapons on legs and he realizes it - 2nd he is frustrated because he is the puppet of the system, a "robota", a product and a slave - 3rd he can't help himself but doing the work he's supposed to because it's his very same essence, his reason to be in that world, and a devil's pact as it pays for the augmentations. And when he kills 6 guys in a row, he finds himself pathetic, and souless, and can't even find the balls to tell Kusanagi he loves her.

Their reality is this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtJFSLp_sgk

But no, hey let's make it cool, Matrix style. Look at this bullshit here and watch yourself how similar it is to DX3, can you see the similarities? Do you think it's a coincidence?

---> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IBNACePYk4&feature=related

Let's show that he's a bad ass through the game animations and a rebooted characterization, we don't want this future to be depressing, or metaphorically valid, or subtly ambiguous, or engrossing and varied.

For me that that stuff is pathetic. You jump three meters up the sky to underline youre badassery? Pathetic. You want to feel like a bad ass cybernetic cop? Pathetic. You're built as a superhero like character with a cheesy clichèd effort to make his past "haunted"? Pathetic. They they ripoff a bit of BladeRunner to make the world hostile, but strange, looks like you're untouched by that reality, looks like a mere superficial veil put there to be cool.

It's funny that here people always discuss for hours every single detail like some number of pixels and the most trivial design choice, but almost none seem untouched by the weak characterization and representation and that stuff, that is of equal importance.

And we're just talking about the characterization - we can start discussing the game mechanics too if you want.

Games are still mostly pathetic things because every time they have the opportunity to put deeper layers in characterization, narrative or game mechanics, and support the power of the medium, they just don't, and just fill the gaps with that kind of stuff. I have different tastes, not better, just different, but i wonder why they always make games that you would like :lol

hclflow

I'm sorry if I refuse to believe the words of enthusiast press who repeatedly and utterly fail to provide meaningful pre-release coverage with respect to the feeling of games -- particularly high-profile titles such as Deus Ex 3. From their words, the easily impressed will do backflips in anticipation of the impending awesome. The jaded will sit back, shake their heads and perhaps hold out a tiny ray of hope for the game to not be a complete new-age piece of trash.

The outlets whose coverage is highlighted in this thread only serves to show just how little they get the intricacies of good game development, and equally how the average gamer sucks up their awful excuse for "preview" coverage as a legitimate indication of the direction a game's development is taking.

Deus Ex 3 does NOT sound impressive up to this point.

hclflow said:
I'm sorry if I refuse to believe the words of enthusiast press who repeatedly and utterly fail to provide meaningful pre-release coverage with respect to the feeling of games -- particularly high-profile titles such as Deus Ex 3. From their words, the easily impressed will do backflips in anticipation of the impending awesome. The jaded will sit back, shake their heads and perhaps hold out a tiny ray of hope for the game to not be a complete new-age piece of trash.

The outlets whose coverage is highlighted in this thread only serves to show just how little they get the intricacies of good game development, and equally how the average gamer sucks up their awful excuse for "preview" coverage as a legitimate indication of the direction a game's development is taking.

Totally agree. And i would even fix this - entusiast press? I'd say pantpissing kid-like ruffians.

Truant

Looks great for a Deus Ex game. Artstyle is killer. Shame about the low resolution, but then again those just might be some crappy shots.

If anything, the PC version should run and look great on most gaming rigs.

Feindflug

Lyphen said:
I thought console peasants were used to 720p and no AA.

Human Revolution is running at a "heavily modified" version of CD's Tomb Raider: Underworld engine which is what they used on the 360 version of TR:U and that was running at sub-HD - PS3 version used a different engine IIRC that run at 720p.

There's no way the above screens are 720p/no AA, it clearly looks sub-HD - disappointing that an engine that is "heavily modified" still runs at low resolution...on the other side TR:U's IQ on the 360 was pretty good and the object motion blur was really awesome.

1-D_FTW

Timekiller said:
Totally agree. And i would even fix this - entusiast press? I'd say pantpissing kid-like ruffians.

Enthusiast press is definitely better than journalist. Though I'm thinking maybe we should officially adapt "fanzine sites." Probably the best choice.

hclflow said:

They too are fools.

This game is 100% "new-age piece of trash."

The sooner y'all accept this and move on, the happier y'all will be.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Jenga said:
stallion free is somewhere beyond the sunset on a quest for screen whoring
<3 I can't wait to get my hands on this game so I can start dropping PC screen
bull
shots.

Also, to console peasants who bitch about IQ/resolution on multiplatform games such as this, if it is so important to you that you need to post about it, why don't you pony up the 1000$ to built a machine that can max these games out at 1080p + AA/SSAA? I mean it's your fault that you are holding yourself back when you can easily fix the problem.

lorddarkflare said:
The sooner y'all accept this and move on, the happier y'all will all be.

Accept? Look dude, what, does Square Enix pay for your food or what?
Last time i checked, having a critical mind was a plus.

hclflow

lorddarkflare said:
They too are fools.

This game is 100% "new-age piece of trash."

The sooner y'all accept this and move on, the happier y'all will be.

Oh, I take it you have the review-final copy, and have played it extensively? Please post some gameplay vids!

The setting is pure porn for me. I love big city-slum-alleys settings. That was probably my favourite from The darkness. And This seems to incorporate pretty well.

Top Bottom