• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided I Review Thread I I asked for this

Regginator

It's VHQ, so maxed out. Thuugh apparently the reran benchies were made without AA, so it's not AA tanking performance. Must be some other setting.

Oh, phew. I seem to have read some reports that Ultra kinda botches the frame-rate, something with shadows and/or AA, maybe a patch could fix that. But as long as I can run it at High presets with around 40/45fps and some individual settings up or down, I'm satisfied.

Regginator

So thats the excuse for a new game having problems? "But the last game...."

Probably the safest move now. Get on console then sell, get PC version later or never.

Or wait a few more days until more reliable and expansive benchmarks are available and then make an informed decision. We don't even know if the console versions are flawless.

obeast

Where should I start if I haven't played any of the DE games?

The first Human Revolution is actually a prequel to the hallowed original, so in terms of narrative & characters you'll be fine with playing that first.

The original is an all-time classic, and it utterly enchanted me at its release, but I suspect it's aged badly. It's probably worth playing with whatever mods people have come up with at some point just for historical value.

Jim Sterling mentioned in one of his videos that the game was having development troubles, and that the story was likely to be split into multiple games.

A-V-B

Jim Sterling mentioned in one of his videos that the game was having development troubles, and that the story was likely to be split into multiple games.

That's... interesting.

Maybe the smart thing to do is wait for that other game to come out, and go all in on Dishonored 2 this year. Then when DX5 comes out, play both MD and 5.

Good thing I dont buy games for the story, a great story in a game is good, but I could careless, give me great gameplay first.

sorry for being a grammar officer, but you COULDN'T care less.

more on topic, while i agree gameplay should have priority, i kinda also play deus ex for its rich worlds and stories. i hope the story still is fine.

SomTervo

Arthur Gies
‏@aegies
Like, for real, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided gave me Halo 2 levels of "wait, that's it?" at the end. It doesn't end so much as it cauterizes.

Damn.

Shieeeeeeet.

It's frustrating how bad so many games are getting at endings; but it's understandable from a resource management point of view. A small fraction of players reach the end of any game. Like a few percent.

Regginator

Yeah, I forgot about that. Guess it could explain the abrupt ending.

Explain, but not excuse.

I'm hyped as all shit, but I would be very disappointed if the story is remotely as uninteresting as reviewers claim, even more so about its alleged abrupt ending. A few more days to experience it for myself.

Timeaisis

So the story is meh, then? Good thing I don't care about game stories, then.

I guess they didn't make huge improvements to the gameplay overall, and it's more of a tightened sequel than a big stride. Shame, they had like five years. That being said, I still really like DX games, so this is still a no brainer for me.

It is. Because the cheesiness work.

Yep. First, it had an entertaining story. Not a quality story, but it was entertaining, that's important. HR? I can't remember it now, despite having played it several years more recently than DX1.

It has some eye rolling parts but as you say, the cheese factor makes it more endearing than stupid. The mechanical apartheid is serious and stupid.

Also, the key moments were well executed. Maybe it was because I was younger, but I didn't guess I was going to join what at the start were the 'terrorists'.

ibn Saïd;214239480 said:
correct, seems like 4x msaa and soft shadows are the offenders. they reportedly tank fps. as long as the other presets are decently optimized, i dont mind.

to be fair, contact hardening shadows are always expensive performance wise, as is msaa.

It looks like the "High" preset runs in line with peoples' expectations.

Honestly, as long as the world building is good and the journey itself is as satisfying as HR, then I'll probably be happy.

I don't recall being massively blown away by the main story in HR either, but it's the little things that I remember fondly.

Plus, if decent DLC is coming then at least we have more story to look forward to.

Lister

Banned
Or wait a few more days until more reliable and expansive benchmarks are available and then make an informed decision. We don't even know if the console versions are flawless.

Hell, polygon right out states instability and issues with the console versions of the game, though this is obviously before the day one patch.

The best and most entertaining stories in HR were in the self contained side quests. It sounds like Mankind Divided continues that tradition, which I'm excited about.

Kind of interesting how these types of games often have more compelling sidequests than main quests.

I think it's because of how they're typically consumed.

A well thought out and richly written side quest will be played through to completion in a single sitting, the same can't be said for an entire main questline over 20+ hours.

For me, the main quest sometimes falls into the background a little bit - dependant on the game's structure.

Shredderi

So the story is meh, then? Good thing I don't care about game stories, then.

I guess they didn't make huge improvements to the gameplay overall, and it's more of a tightened sequel than a big stride. Shame, they had like five years. That being said, I still really like DX games, so this is still a no brainer for me.

I have to agree with you on that. After five years I'd expect more than just incremental upgrade, especially now that this is on a new generation of consoles. I'm excited to play this and I paid for it now that I know it's not a bust but would have been nice to be wowed by new "next-gen" features.

Positive scores for the most part, but lower than I expected. Seems like a common complaint is a lackluster main plot and an overall rushed product. I also think that several games over the past 5 years have raised the bar in the story and writing department. Mankind Divided apparently has not kept up (similar to Fallout 4), hence lower scores than Human Revolution. Standards are higher today.

That said, the strength of the Deus Ex franchise is its open-ended gameplay, and it seems like Mankind Divided does a good job there.

to be fair, contact hardening shadows are always expensive performance wise, as is msaa.

It looks like the "High" preset runs in line with peoples' expectations.

agreed, i hope the low, medium and high presets are much better optimised. you could argue that the ultra preset is for future hardware scaling.

I think it's because of how they're typically consumed.

A well thought out and richly written side quest will be played through to completion in a single sitting, the same can't be said for an entire main questline over 20+ hours.

For me, the main quest sometimes falls into the background a little bit - dependant on the game's structure.

it depends on the game, for example skyrim or witcher 3, i enjoyed their respective side quests more than the main story. but i think in a deus ex game, where a playthrough on average takes you around 25 hours, the main story should be the most memorable one.

yep that was it, thanks! in hindsight, and with what other reviewers are seeing, sterling seemed to make a lot of sense.

Belakor

Banned
So,apart from the main story being uninteresting,every other single aspect has been improved over Human Revolution. Seems pretty great to me

Rodin

ibn Saïd;214239480 said:
correct, seems like 4x msaa and soft shadows are the offenders. they reportedly tank fps. as long as the other presets are decently optimized, i dont mind.
Ars technica said the pc port is great. If the only things i have to turn off to have good performances on a 970 are MSAA and contact shadows, it's all good for me.

Regginator

Seems to fit in well with what we're hearing from reviews. Particularly when you consider the abrupt ending and single hub.

I've tried not to read too much, since I want to get in as fresh as possible, but there are at least two hubs that I know of though... P
rague
and G
olem City

A-V-B

Supposedly it's large and dense, with sort of a "sub hub" inside of it. I'm not sure how many missions and areas you visit outside of the hub. But yeah, that's more disappointing to me then the story criticisms.

So it's like a tiny open world?

Machina

Banned
Did HR not do as well sales wise as Square hoped? I'm starting to think this game got short handed when it comes to budget and manpower

Fbh

Gold Member
At work right now so I can't go check the specific reviews. But some of the quotes in the OP mentioned a short length

Do any of those reviews actually say how short ? The first one took me around 27 hours. I hope this isn't much shorter

Top Bottom