• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided |OT| We Asked For This

Amirnol

Just beat it, stealth playthrough with no enemy deaths, 29 hours.
Really disappointed in the sudden and unsatisfying ending. Adam even goes over the loose threads still left in the story during the final cutscene, I mean come on, they are acknowledging that the story is not finished? All we did was take down a henchman, we've barely scratched the surface! Even Brown tells us to climb higher when we save him. Really felt like this was chapter 1 of the game.

The gameplay was fantastic and the art/level design stellar. The ending really dampened my overall feeling of the game :(

Is upgrading the battery actually worthwhile if I'm just running on minimum juice the whole time? I'm stealth, btw.

Haha I'm doing the same. I literally only have points in hacking and extra jump right now and don't know what to do with the others. Haven't had a reason to use cloak yet.

Just beat it, stealth playthrough with no enemy deaths, 29 hours.
Really disappointed in the sudden and unsatisfying ending. Adam even goes over the loose threads still left in the story during the final cutscene, I mean come on, they are acknowledging that the story is not finished? All we did was take down a henchman, we've barely scratched the surface! Even Brown tells us to climb higher when we save him. Really felt like this was chapter 1 of the game.

The gameplay was fantastic and the art/level design stellar. The ending really dampened my overall feeling of the game :(

Just beat it today as well. I think this is basically Empire Strikes Back, ie. the second in a trilogy where some stuff is revealed but ultimately sets up the big villains for the third part where it all comes to a head.

I had already seen that reviews were mentioning it ending abruptly, so I wasn't too surprised when it did, but it was nowhere near as bad as I thought it was going to be. I had feared it was going to be on the level of Rage or MGSV, where it was blindingly obvious the devs simply ran out of time. This was more of a case of them wanting to find a place to stop the story before delving into stuff for part 3. I'm just hoping we see the third part sometime this generation, and not in another five years in 2021.

Overall, I loved my time with the game and finished with both Pacifist and Foxiest, which was a lot of fun. I'm a bit of an item hoarder, though, and at the end I decided to use some of the 50+ biocells I had been unintentionally saving up (played nearly the entire game on only the little portion of the battery that recharges). Until that point I had no idea that you could remain in stealth and pop those suckers to gain instant energy. It made doing both objectives a cinch since I was able to just waltz around like Grey Fox with perma stealth camo. I don't think I ended up using a single grenade or mine either, which I'll have to try on my next playthrough.

The world building, architecture, interior design, and little stories told through both the way locations were arranged and through cryptic pieces of info delivered through emails and pocket secretaries were all fantastic. There are entire characters with their own subplots that are delivered entirely through text and the state of the locations where you find that text. It made exploring every nook and cranny a ton of fun for someone who enjoys getting immersed in the world and characters.

One thing that I found mildly (and only mildly in the slightest degree) disappointing was that the "Conversation Challenges" were completely static this time around. I understand why they did that, as the way those social challenges were given variety on each Save/Load in HR was probably the most overlooked and underappreciated feature they implemented, but which required new sets of facial animations and recorded dialog. I just thought it was fun that, if attempting to save scum the social challenges in HR, each load provided the same character, with the same core beliefs and desires, but with a slightly different attitude - almost like approaching a person after they found a $20 bill on the ground vs. if they stepped in gum on the way to work.

I also wish they still allowed Adam to pull enemies into air ducts like in HR. It had been kind of fun roleplaying an augmented trapdoor spider, popping out and abducting unsuspecting guards, whisking them away into my metal lair. Although I did still have fun chucking sleeping guards around and throwing them into corners (necks and legs often in positions that would leave them disabled and paralyzed), all without waking them. Batman style non-lethality - concussions, broken bones, permanent physical and mental disability are all a-okay so long as their hearts are still beating.

After beating it I went through the little DLC mission, and it was fine but shorter and less interesting than I had hoped. I'm really not sure why they couldn't have socketed it into the main game either. Hopefully the future DLC included with the season pass will be more robust.

Is upgrading the battery actually worthwhile if I'm just running on minimum juice the whole time? I'm stealth, btw.
Nope, I did it at the end because I had points to spare, but I played the same way and was totally fine with the minimum amount of juice. The biocells don't even do a full recharge on whatever your maximum is either, so it's not like you miss out on extra energy by using a biocell if you only have the small battery.

Haha I'm doing the same. I literally only have points in hacking and extra jump right now and don't know what to do with the others. Haven't had a reason to use cloak yet.
The strength one to lift large items and basic remote hacking are great for exploring. Strength in particular is almost a necessity if you plan on doing lots of stealth. I played through without doing any weapon or armor related upgrades and used strength, super jump, normal hacking (fully decked out), and remote hacking (on elevators, ladders, metal awnings, and laser trip wires mostly, occasionally on cameras, and maybe once on a turret or robot). Stealth isn't ever really needed but can be useful to speed things up a bit around the halfway point - sometimes waiting for a guard to turn around can get old when 2 seconds of stealth can accomplish the same thing and get you moving on to the more interesting stuff.

Fledz

Just beat it.

That was the ending...?

13 hours easily felt like 3. Pacing was terrible and very little variety in almost everything compared to Human Revolution. Prague was horribly underwhelming compared to the hubs of HR.

If you finished in 13 hours, you almost certainly missed half the content. Side missions are way better than the main story.

Just beat it.

That was the ending...?

13 hours easily felt like 3. Pacing was terrible and very little variety in almost everything compared to Human Revolution. Prague was horribly underwhelming compared to the hubs of HR.

After 13 hours I just reached the 2nd hub.

And I am not even sightseeing THAT much.

Tizoc

I feel like lots of people playing this game by just simply following the yellow pointer..
Guilty as charged! However i only didnso because the areas are big and i didnt want to get lost :p
I did do some side missions tho
In ng+ ill spend more time exploring before soing main missions

nOoblet16

Yea the only way you finish it in 13 hour is if you follow the mission marker, you have to do pretty much no experimentation, exploration and miss out of side quests to be able to do that because it's just not possible to finish this game in 13 hours if you do those since that's like half of the game in terms of gameplay and story.

BeeDog

Wait, are you supposed to have pointers to missions/POIs? I mark quests as Active, but I get no markers on the UI while in-game. Or is that an aug you can invest in?

Fledz

The pointers are terrible anyway.

Not exploring in a game like Deus Ex defeats the purpose of even playing Deus Ex.

I just hit 15hrs and reached, well I forgot the name of the place ( this is embarrassing) um, (Google look up) TF29 office.

How far in am I?

I spent a lot of time exploring Prague.

nOoblet16

I just hit 15hrs and reached, well I forgot the name of the place ( this is embarrassing) um, (Google look up) TF29 office.

How far in am I?

I spent a lot of time exploring Prague.

lol..that's the first main mission after prologue.

Here we have you getting to the first mission after 15 hours and then we have the other dude who finished the game in 13 hours and is disappointed.

d00d3n

I feel like lots of people playing this game by just simply following the yellow pointer..

Is thankfully disabled by default on "This is Deus Ex". It works perfectly fine to play the game like this imo. The yellow dot is still visible on the map screen, so you just check that if you ever get lost.

The game is long if you do a completionist playthrough (explore everything, loot every container, non-lethal stealth takeout on every enemy). 13 hours is ridiculous. I will easily have spent 13 hours or more on the Golem city mission alone when I am done. That is a single main quest mission. Doing the early missions and exploring everything in Prague before that took me 50 hours.

If anything, fatigue is slowly starting to sink in about the game. I hope that the next couple of main quest missions are smaller in scope than Golem city to be honest. Palisade Property Bank was brilliant and the high-point of the game for me, so I am hoping for more of that kind of thing.

The Deus Ex DLC should be a mega tower that is Paths of Od Nua-esque in scope with non-hostile and hostile areas, a lot of security equipment, hackable computers and physical shortcuts between the floors. Who is with me?

Guilty as charged! However i only didnso because the areas are big and i didnt want to get lost :p
I did do some side missions tho
In ng+ ill spend more time exploring before soing main missions

I found the side missions to be well worth my time in terms of their predicaments presented to Jensen and rewards, though getting pestered by your colleagues and Miller on the comms unit, because you were ignoring the main missions, got annoying at times.

It's actually quite difficult to get lost in Prague, thanks to the well designed map you can access from the inventory screen. It even provides the layout of buildings while your inside them, so you likely won't miss any rooms or halls that are worth exploring.

nOoblet16

I found the side missions to be well worth my time in terms of their predicaments and rewards, though getting pestered by your colleagues and Miller on the comms unit, because you were ignoring the main missions, got annoying at times.

It's actually quite difficult to get lost in Prague, thanks to the well designed map you can access from the inventory screen. It even provides the layout of buildings while your inside them, so you likely won't miss any rooms or halls that are worth exploring.

It only happens once and with miller, before the first main mission...and even then he stops after a while.

Vintage

I just noticed how great is sound occlusion in this game. For example, if there's someone in the adjacent room, on the other side of the wall, you won't hear them directly through the wall, the sound will come from the door. I got confused about enemies positions a couple of times because of that, since I'm used to sounds coming straight from the source.

shiba5

I slaughtered everyone inside the bank except for two lucky civilians who somehow managed to avoid the crossfire between the robot I hacked vs the one that came down from upstairs. They stood amongst the bodies of their fallen coworkers and acted like nothing had happened.
They didn't ask for this.

d00d3n

I slaughtered everyone inside the bank except for two lucky civilians who somehow managed to avoid the crossfire between the robot I hacked vs the one that came down from upstairs. They stood amongst the bodies of their fallen coworkers and acted like nothing had happened.
They didn't ask for this.

Best map in the game. I hope that the game takes note of what you have done and "Palisade property bank will have its due"-es your ass in the next game.

Just noticed that i need 5500 xp now to reach a new level. Wasn't it 5000 xp before? Or is that new after the 1.03 patch is installed so that ist is "harder" to get praxis and maybe buy some via MT?

d00d3n

Just noticed that i need 5500 xp now to reach a new level. Wasn't it 5000 xp before? Or is that new after the 1.03 patch is installed so that ist is "harder" to get praxis and maybe buy some via MT?

I think it increases as you level up. Is 6000 for me right now, if I remember correctly.

The Deus Ex DLC should be a mega tower that is Paths of Od Nua-esque in scope with non-hostile and hostile areas, a lot of security equipment, hackable computers and physical shortcuts between the floors. Who is with me?

Had to look up Paths of Od Nua, but yes I'm with you 100%. Only thing I'd add is a few NPCs with their own side quests that intersect with whatever the main mission would be and that the non-hostile areas be relatively large and fun to explore. I enjoyed HR's Missing Link DLC, but I remember it being pretty intense the whole way through without much space to chill out, take a breather, and do some sightseeing.

My final game time clocked in at over 50 hours for my first playthrough, where I was really thorough and explored and read everything I could in addition to completing every side quest and finding every POI. I just loved all the little side this game had to tell. It also blows me away that some of the characters I found memorable in my playthrough could be completely missed based on the choices the player made.

I just noticed how great is sound occlusion in this game. For example, if there's someone in the adjacent room, on the other side of the wall, you won't hear them directly through the wall, the sound will come from the door. I got confused about enemies positions a couple of times because of that, since I'm used to sounds coming straight from the source.

Yes! I had just played FO4 (meh) a couple weeks before this and was constantly annoyed by hearing enemies on completely separate floors or through solid concrete walls as if they were standing right beside me.

It only happens once and with miller, before the first main mission...and even then he stops after a while.

It definitely happens at least twice if not three times. I remember seeing someone mention that it only happened at the very beginning and being relieved after I finally did the mission for Miller and shut him up, only to be annoyed again when Vega started periodically hounding me later to hurry up and get moving for something else.

I FINALLY finished the game and god, this
TV cutscene is the fucking worst. Who thought this was a good idea? It's STILL going!

Edit: Well I got Pacifist but missed Foxiest of the Hounds. Argh! I think I might've accidentally triggered an alarm right at the end, so I'll quickly load that save and see if it works out.

lol..that's the first main mission after prologue.

Here we have you getting to the first mission after 15 hours and then we have the other dude who finished the game in 13 hours and is disappointed.

lol ive spent about 13 hours and im still doing sidequests around prague, is the main mission not as good as this hub side content?

I'm nearing the end now and there are two things of note:

1. I preferred Human Revolution
2. I'm finding this way too easy on the hardest difficulty doing a pacifist run.

I remember finding my pacifist run on the hardest difficulty in Human Revolution being much harder. And that was after several replays of the game when I knew where certain hidden passages were located etc.

I feel that some of the hidden passages bypass far too much of certain areas making you skip what would of been like half hour of sneaking through an area. For example in the
GARM(?) facility I ended up jumping onto one of the beams on the roof and just walked all the way to the end of the hangar, dropped down, went invisible and walked into the other hanger. Bypassed a huge area.
It felt cheap and I finished that mission in like 20 minutes.

Maybe I'm just not remembering Human Revolution as well perhaps. It has been a few years since I played it last.

Apart from the shoddy facial animation, and the lack of different locales I am really enjoying the game. One of my favourites of this year. Up there with Dark Souls 3.

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
Anyone know if it is safe to store stuff inside your house, on the floor? My secret stash is full

psychotron

Anyone know if it's possible to save both
Irenka and Edward
? Feeling pretty shitty about how that turned out. I decided to save
Edward
, because
he's separated from his family and has been living with the guilt of something out of his control for years. Irenka is nuts, but I feel bad leaving her to be taken away.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
Irenka and Edward
Edward
, because
he's separated from his family and has been living with the guilt of something out of his control for years. Irenka is nuts, but I feel bad leaving her to be taken away.

I think you get the option to save them both if you have completed the
Samizdat
side mission beforehand. Even if you don't do that, you can still rescue the NPC that got taken away in another side mission near the end of the game

Cairnsay

Banned
Irenka and Edward
Edward
, because

Well...
You get another shot, but you need to help out the underground paper in both their quests.

psychotron

I think you get the option to save them both if you have completed the
Samizdat
side mission beforehand. Even if you don't do that, you can still rescue the NPC that got taken away in another side mission near the end of the game

Well...
You get another shot, but you need to help out the underground paper in both their quests.

I had already done the
Samizdat
mission. I found dirt about the
airplane and the water
. T
hen I hacked the tv screens so they could broadcast it
. That was all done before this mission and I still only had one
activation
to use. Will there be something else coming up?

Vintage

I'm finding it very hard to get into thematics of this game. The world and it's state just doesn't feel believable to me. Why? It has a pretty terrible premise.

Imo what made original and HR so believable that these games had a very solid background for events. Original DX was about corporations abusing the poor and influencing politicians to become more rich and powerful. HR was about advancements in prosthetics to the point their technology surpass human capabilities. Both of these premises are believable not only because it may happen, but because it's already starting to happen. All events in the games are extrapolated from these ideas with a handful of fiction and conspiracy theories, but they still seem real. The most far fetched one is probably the aug incident at the end of HR, but that was used to make a spectacular culmination for the events, so I'm ok with it.

Then we have Mankind divided, which has little to none premise for the story. The whole situation is built upon the worst case scenario that happened in the previous game. The whole real world connection thing that made previous games believable is thrown away. All this oppression, "mechanical apartheid" is so far fetched that it's like the opposite of believable situation. The game tries hard to make some kind of social commentary by drawing parallels to racism but it just falls flat. The idea for this world is to take worst examples of racism from a hundred years ago and pretend that it will again happen ten years from now.

Things just don't have solid ground to justify themselves. Why does the world hate augs now? What did the augs do to deserve it? It's not them who voluntarily caused The Incident, it was one asshole who used a backdoor to ruin whole civilisation. How about patching all augumentations to fix this backdoor? Since it had so much impact, I'm sure it will be supervised to the max this time and it won't happen again. Overall, prosthetics help people live, not make them into some lower-class creatures. I just can't make sense of all the post-Human revolution events.

heringer

I don't quite understand why people claim the side quests are "much better" than the main quest. I mean, don't get me wrong, they are good, better than your average RPG side quest, but I don't see a big difference inquality compared to the main quest.

Though so far I only did about... maybe 4 of them? I'm at the part just after
the watchmaker interrogation.
How far is that into the story?

heringer

I'm finding it very hard to get into thematics of this game. The world and it's state just doesn't feel believable to me. Why? It has a pretty terrible premise.

Imo what made original and HR so believable that these games had a very solid background for events. Original DX was about corporations abusing the poor and influencing politicians to become more rich and powerful. HR was about advancements in prosthetics to the point their technology surpass human capabilities. Both of these premises are believable not only because it may happen, but because it's already starting to happen. All events in the games are extrapolated from these ideas with a handful of fiction and conspiracy theories, but they still seem real. The most far fetched one is probably the aug incident at the end of HR, but that was used to make a spectacular culmination for the events, so I'm ok with it.

Then we have Mankind divided, which has little to none premise for the story. The whole situation is built upon the worst case scenario that happened in the previous game. The whole real world connection thing that made previous games believable is thrown away. All this oppression, "mechanical apartheid" is so far fetched that it's like the opposite of believable situation. The game tries hard to make some kind of social commentary by drawing parallels to racism but it just falls flat. The idea for this world is to take worst examples of racism from a hundred years ago and pretend that it will again happen ten years from now.

Things just don't have solid ground to justify themselves. Why does the world hate augs now? What did the augs do to deserve it? It's not them who voluntarily caused The Incident, it was one asshole who used a backdoor to ruin whole civilisation. How about patching all augumentations to fix this backdoor? Since it had so much impact, I'm sure it will be supervised to the max this time and it won't happen again. Overall, prosthetics help people live, not make them into some lower-class creatures. I just can't make sense of all the post-Human revolution events.

They went insane and tried to kill even their loved ones? I mean, most people aren't rational enough to consider it's not their fault.

That being said, I don't completely disagree with you. It is a little far fetched.

mbpm1

Yeah, the premise needed a little more backing somehow. It's just a little jarring to come from HR "augments are a natural and even cool part of scientific development" which is most if not all of what we see of people's attitudes on the matter to "augs are terrible, bad, and dangerous now."

I know the incident was terrible, but something still didn't add up in terms of the presentation.

heringer

It is important to point out though, that Prague IS the worst case scenario. The rest of the world isn't nearly as bad for Augs as Prague. But yeah, they could have fleshed out the backstory better.

Cairnsay

Banned
I had already done the
Samizdat
mission. I found dirt about the
airplane and the water
. T
hen I hacked the tv screens so they could broadcast it
. That was all done before this mission and I still only had one
activation
to use. Will there be something else coming up?

Keep playing. Spoiler info.
You will eventually get a request from Samizdat to help rescue K who has been locked up during the lockdown. She is locked up in the same cell.

Vintage

They went insane and tried to kill even their loved ones? I mean, most people aren't rational enough to consider it's not their fault.

That being said, I don't completely disagree with you. It is a little far fetched.

The situation was horrific, but it was a bug in the system, a microchip that was used by one person to cause everything. None of these augumented people were purposely trying to do anything wrong.

In Mankind divided, I don't see any attempt to solve the problem, only to run away from it.

Top Bottom