• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided |OT| We Asked For This

Nice, game still crashing going down the elevator to TF29 after the patch. Am I going to have to wait another week for this to maybe get fixed? Garbage.

Yep. Every time it cuts to CG, all of a sudden all the character models move gracefully and lip sync correctly. Then back in gameplay they look like a mess again. Probably the biggest area for improvement IMO. Lots of room for good tweaks there.

Maybe somebody with the technical knowledge can explain this to me. I assume they're done pre-rendered because the engine they're using has shitty support for animation (they said as much in the HR Director's Cut commentary). But the pre-rendered cutscenes use all the same assets and stuff. Do they just export the assets to some other program that allows them to properly animate? Sounds like a hassle, particularly if you have to remodel the entire area. Really wish the engine actually supported decent animations so we didn't have to deal with crappy low res cutscenes and awkward in game animations and lip sync.

Spoilers for Side mission 12
K is for Kadzy

So I picked to save Irenka and Edward ended up at Golem but now I just rescued him from a jail cell back in Prague. How'd he get out?

i'm gonna start a new run, after having played earlier as a pacifist and ghost (+ foxiest of the hounds). what do you recommend me to do now?

- start with ng+ and do another ghost run, this time on the perma-death mode, and only the main story?

- or start a new save file and play as a menacing, guns blazing terminator, see if i missed some side quests?

i'm inclined to do the first, for the time being. i don't know if i have the time for another 40+ hour run.

Crawl

I havent played through the whole game yet. But looking around on a few sites it seems the main story is way shorter than human revolution was. According to howlongtobeat.com ; anyone who has beaten both confirm this?

28 hours in with a few side quests remaining and less than halfway through the main quest

how the hell did anyone complete this in 12 hours?

Mindman

I havent played through the whole game yet. But looking around on a few sites it seems the main story is way shorter than human revolution was. According to howlongtobeat.com ; anyone who has beaten both confirm this?

28 hours in with a few side quests remaining and less than halfway through the main quest

There ya go!

iVHfwLc.gif

Hacking gets a bit stale after a while...so many things to hack.

Ducarmel

First run or new game+

New game + I think is doable If you have lots of resources, know what you doing and where you going. Skip all dialogue and take the easy mission clear and don't care about which outcome you get. I can see somebody doing it in 12 or less if inclined to do so.

Dead

well not really...yet
I read 12 hours originally and was afraid it'd be short, but I've put in 5+ hours already and am only at mission 3 with one side mission half way done, so the short length seems overstated I think.

It might end up shorter than HR, but still feels very meaty so far.

Okay, so I got the Calibrator, and Koller told me he has important stuff to attend to.

Do I come to him or do I have to progress into the main story?

Sorry if I posted this, but a quick thought about the game.

I really wish Megan was in this game. Some sort of revenge on her. Bitch lol.

w0s

How bad does the map market get on the the very last difficulty? Playing one step up from normal on my second playthrough and the map has been the biggest issue. Got stuck running around in circles in
Golem City
because I forgot about the other exit of the
police station
. I'm thinking about doing a final playthrough on the hardest difficult after this run but man if the map gets worse I might be out. Hell I think in general I've enjoyed the normal setting more. The game isn't that much harder at all just more frustrating figuring out where to go.

Any verdicts on the game so far?

Want to hear some impressions.

If you liked Human Revolution you will like this. One of my favourite games this gen so far (love Deus Ex, so I am biased), the side quests are great and the variety in the missions are great and level design is a big improvement over HR. The range of options at your disposal is fantastic.

..there's like 50 pages worth of impressions in this thread?

Yea but I need short form I'm too old for this shit man :(
If you liked Human Revolution you will like this. One of my favourite games this gen so far (love Deus Ex, so I am biased), the side quests are great and the variety in the missions are great and level design is a big improvement over HR. The range of options at your disposal is fantastic.

Thanks man this helps.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Any verdicts on the game so far?

Want to hear some impressions.

It's a great evolution from HR. If you love HR, you will love MD.

A few things that might disappoint you though:

1) Terrible lip sync
2) Terrible animations during dialogue sequences
3) Game ends pretty abruptly with many plots unresolved, which gives the impression that another game will probably come out in 2 or 3 years to continue the story.

Just finished the game. I enjoyed it but I did not play the previous game. I'm thinking of trading it in. Do you think it's worth it to hold out for the DLC?

Gotta say, the holes in the HRMD progression system are starting to jump out at me after starting a GMDX-modded playthrough of DX1 again.

I'll be blunt - Modern Deus Ex suffers from Bethesda Progression Syndrome. With enough grinding, you can unlock everything (
Even all the experimental augs once Koller fixes you
) irrespective of build - Which in and of itself isn't a bad thing, considering the Souls games work this way, but in Souls' case, it's a game meant for infinite replayability and multiplayer, with Bethesda'd characters taking an eternity to level up to that state and only being able to play with others in the same level range.

I really hope Eidos will consider returning to the DX1 format where Augs were handled like upgrades in a Metroidvania and were an either-or choice rather than just things you unlock with XP that you can grind until you get all of them.

mbpm1

Gotta say, the holes in the HRMD progression system are starting to jump out at me after starting a GMDX-modded playthrough of DX1 again.

I'll be blunt - Modern Deus Ex suffers from Bethesda Progression Syndrome. With enough grinding, you can unlock everything (
Even all the experimental augs once Koller fixes you
) irrespective of build - Which in and of itself isn't a bad thing, considering the Souls games work this way, but in Souls' case, it's a game meant for infinite replayability and multiplayer, with Bethesda'd characters taking an eternity to level up to that state and only being able to play with others in the same level range.

I really hope Eidos will consider returning to the DX1 format where Augs were handled like upgrades in a Metroidvania and were an either-or choice rather than just things you unlock with XP that you can grind until you get all of them.

I also hope they have les filler augs next time.

Cairnsay

Banned
Spoilers for Side mission 12
K is for Kadzy

So I picked to save Irenka and Edward ended up at Golem but now I just rescued him from a jail cell back in Prague. How'd he get out?

I was wondering the same thing
exceot in my game the roles were reversed.

Genuinely think it might be a continuity error that no one noticed till it was too late to take out.

It's a great evolution from HR. If you love HR, you will love MD.

A few things that might disappoint you though:

1) Terrible lip sync
2) Terrible animations during dialogue sequences
3) Game ends pretty abruptly with many plots unresolved, which gives the impression that another game will probably come out in 2 or 3 years to continue the story.

Thanks dude. It kind of describes HR somewhat too?

I think I will like it though, I enjoyed HR.

It speaks to just how great this game is, that I can complete a perfect ghost run through the 2nd 'mission' (ie, outside Prague), and then immediately make a new save and reload from the beginning just to see all the other ways I could have done it, and all the goodies I missed.

nOoblet16

I think it's obvious the reason they went for CGI cutscenes is that their live action scenes have horrendous lip syncing and animation.
This is true, their rigging system is just not capable to do it effectively, that's why they went CGI last game and in this game. The one real time "cutscene" we have i.e. at the start of the game but I suspect it took some effort and doing it everywhere would have been too much.

But honestly there aren't many characters cutscene, they probably are limited to single digits and none really last long.

nOoblet16

Ye i have that but it's still annoying getting around slowly whilst crouching
You don't have to, you just crouch when you are near them and then just run normally once you are at a safe distance. They aren't really everywhere instead they are spaced out at quite some distance. You can also travel far just using alleys.

mbpm1

So I'm completely stumped on what I think is a mid game mission.
How do I traverse the cloud of toxic death in the sewers on the Bank Mission?
Buy the rebreather Aug

Take like two stims on full health and run to the wheel which turns it off. Or run through it.

Buy the rebreather Aug

Take like two stims on full health and run to the wheel which turns it off. Or run through it.

Ended up finding a way around it in the end but it worked out horribly. Seems it would be easier to just go in through the front door considering you still need to get to the top. Now I've got to try and remember where the hell the vent system in there actually leads to. Gotta admit the difficulty is really getting a bit much at this point. Stealth in this game is hard as hell.

Is he even suppose to be there? I think that area is past the room that he actually needs to enter.

Seems not to be honest, it's a way in but not a very good one for where I'm going.

Kind of feels like this game isn't quite right. Going back and playing the original (with the GMDX mod though), missions have a good balance of action, social, and exploration. In Mankind Divided, you have this huge city, and at least half the quests go something like talk to quest giver, run across Prague, knock one person unconscious, talk to someone else, run to the train station, wait on the train for 60 seconds, run back, quest is finished for now. In the original, there are fights going on in the streets, you can go into the sewer and see some serious foreshadowing, there are two hostage situations you need to handle. You come out of it feeling like you really handled things and contributed, while the missions in Mankind Divided feel far too transparently like sidequests. Fill a checklist, get your exp, done. Even Human Revolution, which bombarded you with sidequests when you first reached Detroit, had two gang territories to sneak through, the police office that you can talk your way into or sneak through.

Maybe the long load times and size of the city contributed to the feeling, but the balance isn't quite right between stealth, social, and exploration. The game feels like it's leaning too far towards RPG than the mix of stealth/ action the other two games did so well. The speech battles also all feel like the same conversation, which detracts from the social aspect. Other than Otar, they're all "You have good intentions but are doing it wrong."

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Thanks dude. It kind of describes HR somewhat too?

I think I will like it though, I enjoyed HR.

Haha, yeah.

I'm not sure who Eidos have as animators during the dialogues, but they really need to get someone better at this job. If they're experienced developpers, then how can they fuck up so badly? Limitation of the engine? They spent 5 years working on this and still couldn't make something that look realistic on that side!

Holy shit does the ending hit a brick wall and fall off a cliff.

Still loved it though.

In chalking it up to this game most likely being a middle act?
Not that thats an acceptable excuse.

Holy shit does the ending hit a brick wall and fall off a cliff.

Still loved it though.

In chalking it up to this game most likely being a middle act?
Not that thats an acceptable excuse.

The first game had the same problem, really. You're in the enemy base, you've just uncovered everything and what's this, Darrow has become a Scooby-Doo villain, better fly to Antarctica to stop him! The End

Mankind Divided at least had the ramp up of weather and atmosphere in Prague.

Haven't beaten the game yet but I'm just wondering how hard would it really be to do a "give me dues ex" difficulty run on new game + (I'm doing my current run on the normal difficulty so is this even possible?) while also going for all of the other miscellaneous trophies as well. Anyone have any insight? Thanks.

Haven't beaten the game yet but I'm just wondering how hard would it really be to do a "give me dues ex" difficulty run on new game + (I'm doing my current run on the normal difficulty so is this even possible?) while also going for all of the other miscellaneous trophies as well. Anyone have any insight? Thanks.

It's a really easy game if you play stealth, even in this level of difficulty.
Playing with in Ironman would be another story, though.

Top Bottom