• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF Direct Weekly #180: The PS5 Pro Breakdown: GT7, TLOUp2, Ratchet, Horizon, Alan Wake 2 + More!

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
So it s not even the Quality mode at 60fps.

Honestly this… does not look great

This footage of Hogwarts is at 30 though
Yeah, I thought it was 60 as I'd not watched rhe video. Shame it's 30.

That's why you buy a 5090 you peasant.

Only kidding.

Just watching the video now. Last of us 2 looks great and pssr is doing an awesome job.

Last edited:

RobRSG

Even if the price was $999, I still wouldn't care. Speak for yourself not everyone. Some of us drop money on 4080's and 4090's without blinking an eye.
Probably being broke is better than thinking that are above anyone by buying a expensive console. If you are somewhat conscious about money, you wouldn’t spend this amount of money in a console.

Heck, for example I remember a dude with a 3DO living in a favela back in Brazil in 1994 bragging about it. Not a indicative of wealth or smartness in any sense. 😅

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter

Need to see benchmarks but it says this: At Native 4K/Max, the game cannot maintain 60fps at all times on the NVIDIA RTX 4090. There are areas in which NVIDIA’s GPU can push over 70fps. However, in the most demanding areas, the framerate can drop to the 50s.

If it maintains 60fps+ 80% of the time and drops to the 50s only in the absolutely most demanding scenes, I'd call this a 60fps experience.

Huh? It says

"By simply enabling DLSS 3 Frame Generation with DLAA, you can get framerates over 80fps"

Which means it's dropping to 40fps native at 80fps.
It says it drops to the 50s in the most demanding scenes. I assume frame generation gets you 80fps+ in those scenes.

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Probably being broke is better than thinking that are above anyone by buying a expensive console. If you are somewhat conscious about money, you wouldn’t spend this amount of money in a console.

Heck, for example I remember a dude with a 3DO living in a favela back in Brazil in 1994 bragging about it. Not a indicative of wealth or smartness in any sense. 😅
The 3do would have still sucked at half the price.

Senua

Gold Member
Next time, follow the conversation before jumping in. If you did, you'd understand they're speaking within the context of native frames and resolution.
He didn't say native anything
Cat Glasses GIF by Leroy Patterson

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Next time, follow the conversation before jumping in. If you did, you'd understand they're speaking within the context of native frames and resolution.
4K with DLAA is still native in both input and output. And I don't see anyone talking about native frames.

Huh? It says

"By simply enabling DLSS 3 Frame Generation with DLAA, you can get framerates over 80fps"

Which means it's dropping to 40fps native at 80fps.
So what? Game still runs above 60 if you enable frame gen.

Just say you can't afford it and play your regular ps5. The problem is since the price was announced, a whole lot of "financial advisors" were out here trying to tell us all how to spend our money. Many are concerned that a successful ps5 pro would lead to an increase in price for the ps6 and they don't want that.... I truly wish we could have honest discussion about the price instead of this facade of lies. "It not worth it", "it's too expensive", etc....

A ferrari is too expensive for me, but I don't go around trying to tell people who can afford it not to buy it. That's what a lot of the arguments sound like here. We even have one guy who bought a 4090, one of the biggest waste of money every released(i owned one) telling people not to buy a ps5 pro. Irony could slap him in the face and he'd be none the wiser.

Alan Wake 2 with RT is an extremely demanding game. On the RTX4080S with max settings, I had to run it at 4K DLSS performance (1080p upscaled) to get 45-80fps, and I also used FG to get a minimum of 70fps (the game ran between 70-110fps with FG and feel perfectly smooth). IMO the 840p on the PS5P isnt that bad if you just know how demanding this game is and AI upscaling should still give acceptable image image quality (4K DLSS performance looks much better on my 1440p monitor than 1440p native / DLAA).

As for PS5Pro performance estimations we know for a fact the PS5P GPU will be at least as fast as 7700XT (number of CUs, and flops) and this card is only 13% slower than the RTX4070 according to techpowerup benchmark chart. With RDNA4 features on top of that, the PS5Pro should be much faster than the 7700XT, so in my opinion comparisons to the RTX4070 are fair.
The Alan Wake 2 isn't a fair comparison anyways as i really doubt it's using any path tracing on the Pro.

As per the comparisons it'll depend i guess, in RT games the difference will be quite noticeable, for example a 4070 should run maxed Hogwarts at over 30 FPS, and i bet that Pro version isn't maxed.

Meanwhile, 30 FPS modes that don't use RT, or 60 FPS modes that don't use DLSS3 on the 4070 should be quite similar, and some ports like the ubisoft ones (Assassins Creed for example) or the 1st Party Sony games could even look a bit better on the Pro.
Wouldn't 80fps with framegen mean it's running at 40fps native framerate on a 4090? That's pretty shit.
80 FPS with DLSS3 FG would be 54 native AFAIK, as it creates an extra frame per each 2 real ones, basically a 50% increase.

Three

Your conclusion is incorrect. You don't just chop the frame rate of frame generation in half to get the non-frame gen frame rate.
No it's not. It's directly from nvidia

"Pairs of super-resolution frames from the game, along with both engine and optical flow motion vectors, are then fed into a convolutional neural network that analyzes the data and automatically generates an additional frame for each game-rendered frame"

It adds to frametime to generate this additional frame meaning your game rendered frame is your native framerate which is lower than when framegen isn't enabled.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife

"Pairs of super-resolution frames from the game, along with both engine and optical flow motion vectors, are then fed into a convolutional neural network that analyzes the data and automatically generates an additional frame for each game-rendered frame"

It adds to frametime to generate this additional frame meaning your game rendered frame is your native framerate which is lower than when framegen isn't enabled.
My question is: if the game runs at above 60fps and feels good to play... who gives a shit?

This is like complaining about the native res when using DLSS/PSSR.
Oh no, my super clean 4K image comes from a 1440p native image? Guess I'll just kill myself. :goog_relieved:

Killjoy-NL

You are the one quoting me at first, with a stupid sentence. So you get a stupid response as I'm trying to be at your level.
Classic Reaction GIF

Anyway, curious if Hunt Showdown gets a boost on PS5 Pro.

The only game out rn that I'd want to check out straight away.

Gaiff

4-p.webp

Exactly where do you see the frame rate doubling here? In fact, find me benchmarks where frame generation doubles your fps. Plus, It adds to the latency, not to your frame time. The frame time is merely the time between frames. You cannot have a higher frame time with a higher frame rate.

Three

My question is: if the game runs at above 60fps and feels good to play... who gives a shit?
This is like complaining about the native res when using DLSS/PSSR.
Oh no, my super clean 4K image comes from a 1440p native image? Guess I'll just kill myself. :goog_relieved:
Exactly I agree with you, I don't know. Native seems to be all the rage nowadays.

There is nothing wrong except that framegen is slightly different in that it comes with a slightly bitter pill of increased latency. Like you're playing a 40fps game that's displaying at 80fps.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
upscaled is a misnomer.
I mean - yes, strictly speaking the correct term is 'upsampling'. Just because the data inserted between 'real' samples is - closer to ground truth (history and jitter etc.), doesn't change it from being upsampling though - the definition says nothing about that.

Not true.
The frame-multiplication factor is entirely arbitrary - you can just as easily generate 3-4 or however many in between frames (so long as framegen is fast enough to keep up), so the performance multiplier can greatly exceed 'double'.
Sticking with 2x multiplier is just there to give synthetic frames less on-screen time (and thus minimise visible artifacts).
If you do 4x (eg: ),
you can start to notice artifacts more easily (though note this video was frame-gen on 20 year old hardware running with a tiny fraction of the processing cost of any modern interpolator).

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

Exactly I agree with you, I don't know. Native seems to be all the rage nowadays.
You won't catch me saying that lol.

I think both DLSS and PSSR are great stuff. Hope the tech keeps improving since it's basically free frames, and even better IQ in some cases.

There is nothing wrong except that framegen is slightly different in that it comes with a slightly bitter pill of increased latency. Like you're playing a 40fps game that's displaying at 80fps.
Honestly, I haven't used frame-gen too much so far so I can't comment on that. Dude in the article that Chief posted said the experience felt smooth to him, but I guess everyone has their own definition for what "smooth" means.

Last edited:

Three

4-p.webp

Exactly where do you see the frame rate doubling here? In fact, find me benchmarks where frame generation doubles your fps. Plus, It adds to the latency, not to your frame time. The frame time is merely the time between frames. You cannot have a higher frame time with a higher frame rate.
Maybe you're misunderstanding what I'm saying? You see that 112? That means it's native framerate in that mode is 56fps. That is below 72fps because of the GPU overhead that framegen adds.

Gaiff

The frame-multiplication factor is entirely arbitrary
Correct, and NVIDIA says "up to two times", but you never actually see two times in games. It's generally around 50-80%, so stating that the game runs at 40fps without frame generation based on the fact that it runs at 80 with it is incorrect.

Last edited:

Three

Correct, and NVIDIA says "up to two times", but you never actually see two times in games. It's generally around 50-80%, so stating that the game runs at 40fps without frame generation based on the fact that it runs at 80 with it is incorrect.
I didn’t say the game runs at 40fps without framegen I said with framegen it's running at 40fps native and getting doubled to 80fps. There is a difference. That's where your misunderstanding comes from.

Last edited:

Gaiff

I didn’t say the game runs at 40fps without framegen I said with framegen it's running at 40fps native and getting doubled to 80. There is a difference. That's where your misunderstanding comes from.
Ah, then yes, I misunderstood. The game runs at around 50 without frame generation and around 80 with it in the heaviest scenes. However, frame generation adds to the latency, not to the frame times.

Last edited:

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
BRO.............did you just post a picture of you buying $2800 of PC parts in a PS5 Pro thread?! :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy:

You PC Master Race guys are literally nuts! What are we doing here?
More like 5k. The card alone costed 2100e 😄

BUT a PC isn't only for games, I use it as a media center and to mess with the unreal engine 5 as I'm learning to develop my own game. Also you don't need that to do better than the PS5 Pro anyway

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
More like 5k. The card alone costed 2100e 😄

BUT a PC isn't only for games, I use it as a media center and to mess with the unreal engine 5 as I'm learning to develop my own game. Also you don't need that to do better than the PS5 Pro anyway

WHOA! 5K is nuts!!!!

Rich from the digital foundry article.. "It was somewhat disappointing to see newcomers to the DF Supporter Program share those details this weekend ahead of the show's public release and with none of the surrounding, crucial context'..... "The flexibility of machine learning-based upscaling means that 'how good the game looks' takes precedence over 'how high the pixel count is'. "Just to be clear then: if a game runs at a 'low' resolution on PS5, and an equally 'low' resolution on PS5 Pro, they are not the same thing'. "Improved upscaling makes a difference, but bearing in mind the extra horsepower of the Pro, we can imagine that the developers are doing more with those pixels."

It's a good read

Topher

Gold Member
Who is Cary Golomb

YouTuber who focuses mainly on handhelds

Last edited:

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Top Bottom