• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF Direct Weekly #182: Ghost of Yōtei, Horizon Zero Dawn Remaster, New PS5 Pro Titles Revealed

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

0:00:00 Introduction
0:01:16 News 1: Sony reveals new games in State of Play
0:14:04 News 2: Horizon Zero Dawn Remastered analyzed
0:33:17 News 3: New PS5 Pro Enhanced titles announced
0:44:48 News 4: Assassin’s Creed Shadows delayed
0:55:07 News 5: Dragon’s Dogma 2: how is patch 9 on PS5?
1:00:44 News 6: Monster Hunter PC specs spark concern
1:14:01 News 7: RTX 5080, 5090 specs reportedly leaked
1:35:52 Supporter Q1: Should console generations be extended further?
1:42:44 Supporter Q2: Will the upcoming Microsoft handheld rely on FSR 4?
1:45:57 Supporter Q3: Would the Series S/X divide be fine if the S came with more memory?
1:53:47 Supporter Q4: Is there a difference between analyzing provided footage and footage you captured yourself?

Senua

Gold Member
They seem deeply unimpressed with Ghost of Yotei. Shame.
jurassic park water GIF

JaksGhost

Alex is such a bitch. I'm actually tired of him now at this point. It's weird how they keep over analyzing PlayStation titles when they have a dirth of Xbox games that they could also be giving coverage too yet they don't. Xbox had a whole showcase this summer and they just glossed over the footage with 1 podcast yet the Pro announcement set them up with a 2 hour podcast of rambling and clips to flood their channel with traffic.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
That was also initial reaction of many people in graphics thread here.

It's GOT 1.5 despite new generation.

The first game came out in 2020, it's probably a Rebirth situation where they're essentially using the same tech but expanding the world.

Which is fine, the first game was carried by its really strong art style. This should be more or less the same.

What did people expect from Ghost of Yotei? Sucker Punch is not a huge team, and why wouldn't they do more of the same? The original looks amazing on PS5, so some tweaks and reusing of assets makes total sense. I'm sure this sequel will look like they spent the money in the right places to make a beautiful game. That's all that matters.

intbal

Is that "Patch 9 for DD2" a video that will be coming out in the future?
I'd like to know whether Capcom fixed the checkerboard reconstruction on Xbox.

If people aren't impressed with something like Ghost of Yotei then this industry is truly fucked.

If you need the type of realism that we can only find in games like TLOU2 or RDR2...where is this industry heading?

I love the vivid colors and the vibes from this series. It's realistic...but not really. Kinda like a less realistic version of Uncharted...but with those vivid colors that IP also has. I always loved the aesthetics from the first Ghost of Tsushima so seeing a step up from that is all i needed. Specially if there's a 60fps mode right from the start which the first game didn't have (and they failed to mention, obviously).

I hope Sony doesn't pressure most of their studios to go all in on realism. Some games such as these are great looking games as they are.

Nintendo really dodged a bullet by not going the "realistic look". You never see these guys being this picky with those titles.

kevboard

They seem deeply unimpressed with Ghost of Yotei. Shame.

the first game already wasn't technically impressive. it was entirely held up by the art direction. any closer look at any singular detail in that game will leave anyone unimpressed.

so this isn't surprising. they are a tech channel first after all. artstlye is a subjective thing, while they run a channel that looks mostly at objectively quantifiable aspects of the presentation

Last edited:

JaksGhost

I agree with Alex that Yotei is graphically disappointing. It looks like a high resolution PS4 game in a lot of shots. The mountains in distance look good. But it should be better for a game coming 4 years into the PS5’s lifecycle.
If we're being honest nothing has really looked remotely next-gen aside from Hellblade 2 and we see how that game came and went after the graphic circle jerk was over. PS4 games were already pushing the boundary at 30fps. Next-gen is more than just graphics.

Last edited:

XXL

A new DF Direct Weekly lands - as usual - today, with the team's thoughts on the recent State of Play, reaction to the most recent RTX 5080/5090 leaks and, perhaps inevitably, more PlayStation 5 Pro. However, it's actually a point raised in last week's Direct that I want to tackle in this week's blog. Many believe - with some justification - that the PS5 Pro is a step too far and that such a console isn't needed. In fact, we've made the argument ourselves. Looking back at that piece, I warned about higher costs of a Pro console, but also looked at the potential improvements it could bring - all of which have come to pass with PS5 Pro. Microsoft declined the opportunity to follow likewise, but now we have some idea of why Sony has taken a different route and perhaps more of the strategy is now understandable.

Last edited:
Alex is such a bitch. I'm actually tired of him now at this point. It's weird how they keep over analyzing PlayStation titles when they have a dirth of Xbox games that they could also be giving coverage too yet they don't. Xbox had a whole showcase this summer and they just glossed over the footage with 1 podcast yet the Pro announcement set them up with a 2 hour podcast of rambling and clips to flood their channel with traffic.
Lmao dude you need to relax. Calling someone a bitch just because he stated facts which many people have agreed with.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Yes as soon as they announced it and PSSR I thought this is as much an early access to that tech for devs as it is a benefit for consumers. If Sony and devs use this next 2-3 years to build these tools into their pipelines and PS6 uses this extensively, then it will hit the ground running with full dev support by all studios.

onQ123

DF: "do not expect PS5 Pro to run 30fps PS5 games at 60fps with that CPU"

PS5 Pro: running 30fps PS5 game around 60fps

DF: " Hey look we found a way to run the game at or near 60fps on PS5 that we didn't tell you about & there for you still shouldn't expect PS5 Pro to run other 30fps PS5 games at 60fps"

Lol

Bojji

DF: "do not expect PS5 Pro to run 30fps PS5 games at 60fps with that CPU"

PS5 Pro: running 30fps PS5 game around 60fps

DF: " Hey look we found a way to run the game at or near 60fps on PS5 that we didn't tell you about & there for you still shouldn't expect PS5 Pro to run other 30fps PS5 games at 60fps"

Lol

What game is this? I have to watch this when I get home.

Where the fuck do you guys find these pics of Alex?

hahaha, it's wild.

They probably have folders full of them and links to our posts, hahaha.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
i mean... it looks like PS4Pro1.5 Game.
It still looks beautiful. Like a work of art.

I hope Sony doesn't pressure most of their studios to go all in on realism. Some games such as these are great looking games as they are.

Nintendo really dodged a bullet by not going the "realistic look". You never see these guys being this picky with those titles.
Agreed.

Top Bottom