• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DFC Dishes Online Game Forecasts

[7/1/2004 11:36:31 AM ET]
In advance of issuing its Online Game Market 2004 report, DFC Intelligence let fly some facts and figures related to the upcoming study.
The market researcher begins by trumpeting that “the online game industry is finally here in a true mass market sense,” and “online games are growing on a global scale and attracting a broader range of demographics than the traditional video game industry.”
DFC believes that broadband penetration is the key to the online games market. They estimate that North America had 25.5 million broadband households at the end of 2003, while Europe had 19.5 million and Asia 36.1 million, leading to the statement, “the countries with the highest broadband penetration are some of the hottest markets for online games, while Europe remains relatively weak.”
In 2003 DFC approximates that online game industry revenues were $1.9 billion, with over half of those revenues coming from Asia. In 2006 the firm sees the market growing to $5.2 billion, before exploding to $9.8 billion in 2009, with Asia the largest market, but the European segment expected to be the fastest growing.
As part of its 2009 estimates, DFC expects 70.0 percent of online game revenues to come from the PC, with consoles contributing the remaining 30.0 percent. Breaking down expected online game usage in 2009 by the type of consumer, the researcher sees the “moderate gamer” contributing to 44.0 percent of all usage, followed by the “casual gamer” with 29.0 percent and the “hard-core gamer” with 27.0 percent.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
sonycowboy said:
DFC believes that broadband penetration is the key to the online games market.
This is kind of a no-brainer.

I'm all for online gaming, but I hope that developers also continue to concentrate on compelling single player and same-room multiplayer content, for those of us who prefer it. I'd hate to see aspects of single player modes decline (such as A.I. or good design) in favor of the dev team focusing on online.

Top Bottom