• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT5| Finally out of Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's meant to be easy. You can swap mp levels when u want too. Might as well increase difficulty if you think it would aid in your enjoyment.

There not much advise to give either. Experiment with skills as they become available and we can talk about builds/gear when u hit inferno.

Thanks. I figured there wasn't much concern for build too early on. I'll probably up the MP level this week to test it out.

Ok GAF. I have a dilemma. I'm bored of my monk. It's been played a long time and, now that I've played some WD I'm wondering why I never tried playing other classes sooner.

Someone best described the monk to me as "passive". None of the skills are really good at doing damage on their own and they're not very interesting with the exception of a couple. Instead, monks use a bunch of forgettable skills to increase their damage output.

MoC - Boring Mantra cast and recast 3 min later to increase damage output
BoH - A useless healing spell used for a 15% damage output increase over 45 seconds
Sweeping Wind - Another cast and forget spell. Never use it with the exception of the begining of a fight.
Thunderclap - pretty standard main attack. Good ... probably our most interesting main attack IMO.
Serenity - Standard defensive "o shit" spell.

That leaves one spell for damage attacks. Exploding palm is nice, but doesn't work well with echoing fury. SSS is OK. The bell is OK. Nothing spectacular and all beyond played out at this point for me.

THE GOOD NEWS! I'm super stoked on WD. Now to my dilemma. The WD seams cheap to gear. My WD has about 40-60 million in gear and is already almost 100k DPS. I COULD sell all my monk gear (600-800 million most likely when said an done), deck out my WD, and then cash out on the rest.

I would not have a monk to play anymore though ... which is a weird thought to me.

What say you GAF?

RivalCore

Fender, I dropped Serenity from my skills and put in WoHF with Blazing Fists for extra movement and attack speed. My play style has changed completely now that I don't have "Oh Shit" ability so I'm doing a lot of stutter stepping and managing my spirit generators. I don't know if it's enough to make the Monk more interesting, but it mixed things up enough for me.

But can I have your gear?
for free?

Dropping serenity for another spirit generator isn't what will make the class interesting again.

Maybe I've just played it too much.

Either way ... sell my monk gear for my WD or, continue on with fully loaded monk on the side just in case?

I'm leaning towards selling. Anyone else change mains?

Cipherr

Dropping serenity for another spirit generator isn't what will make the class interesting again.

Either way ... sell my monk gear for my WD or, continue on with fully loaded monk on the side just in case?

I sold my gear off my DH twice early in the game on the RMAH.... TWICE. Regretted it in the end. I have somewhat or completely replaced it all now, but I never should have done it to be honest.

I'd hold on to that gear if I were you, the journey to gearing your WD will be plenty fun anyway assuming you are enjoying it as much as you say :D The best in slot items will come in time. You might make an Alt DH one day anyhow, some of that monk gear my transfer to him well.

Sell your monk gear; then regear him from drops the wd gets.

But stuff always seems to drop for the classes you arent playing at the time! lol.

I sold my gear off my DH twice early in the game on the RMAH.... TWICE. Regretted it in the end. I have somewhat or completely replaced it all now, but I never should have done it to be honest.

I'd hold on to that gear if I were you, the journey to gearing your WD will be plenty fun anyway assuming you are enjoying it as much as you say :D The best in slot items will come in time. You might make an Alt DH one day anyhow, some of that monk gear my transfer to him well.

But stuff always seems to drop for the classes you arent playing at the time! lol.

About 80% of my gear would transfer to a DH and he would be sick from the start. I would need a helm, bow and quiver. That's about it. It's actually a reason I've been thinking about keeping the gear for now.

Still .... I think I could modestly gear my monk off what my WD finds and could both cash out and upgrade the WD now by selling my monks current gear.

I was hoping for another "SELL SELL SELL" post, but you've given me reason to pause. lol

My gear (missing the gems that are on my WD)

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/fenderputty-1180/hero/4022975

neoism

im gonna start a barb got it to 60 yesterday I loove it but me and some gaffers ubered last night I remember why I love monks it so much, plus the class has soo much room for improvement....

im gonna start a barb got it to 60 yesterday I loove it but me and some gaffers ubered last night I remember why I love monks it so much, plus the class has soo much room for improvement....

The other main issue that's giving me reason to pause. I probably would have up and sold everything already, but Bliz has stated a desire to better the monk class.

It just seems like such a waste to have hundreds of millions in depreciating Dex gear not being used.

Cipherr

They say a lot of things. I'm honestly interested what they have in store for WDs, definitely could still use a buff, but I'm not holding my breath. Who knows when the next patch will come out ?

The next patch will hopefully be pretty big. They usually have some word out about what they plan to address in it by now. But there is absolutely no word on anything except that they want to fix Monks. Im kind of hoping that they start talking about it this week some time.

MrDaravon

My Monk should hit 60 today; gear-wise anything specific I should be looking to get? Keep in mind that I'm not going to drop a ton of money into this character, at least not right now. My best guesses based on what I kind of know and from playing a DH (since there's a lot of gear overlap):

Helm - Either Andariel's Visage or Inna's Radiance
Shoulders - Vile Ward
Chest - No idea (Inna chest?)
Wrists - Lacuni Prowlers or Strongarm Bracers
Gloves - Whatever
Belt - Whatever/Witching Hour/Inna's Favor
Pants - Inna's Temperance
Boots - Not sure, guessing either Nat boots, Ice Climbers or Fire Walkers?
Rings/Amulets - Usual Dex stuff
Weapons - Not sure; Right now I have an okay reduced level WKL with decent dex and vit, and a reduced level 1h mace with dex/vit/LS. I'm using Fists of Thunder, so upgrading the WKL maybe is in order, but I'm not sure if there's a specific offhand I should be getting. An Echoing Fury is out of the question probably right now ($$$), but other than those two I really don't know much about 1h melee weapons, so outside of obviously dex/LS/LOH/CD not sure if there's a specific one I should look for.

Also serious question though: when stacking resists for OWE purposes, is there a particular resist that is either more common or I should be looking for as the one I stack?

My Monk should hit 60 today; gear-wise anything specific I should be looking to get? Keep in mind that I'm not going to drop a ton of money into this character, at least not right now. My best guesses based on what I kind of know and from playing a DH (since there's a lot of gear overlap):

Helm - Either Andariel's Visage or Inna's Radiance
Shoulders - Vile Ward
Chest - No idea (Inna chest?)
Wrists - Lacuni Prowlers or Strongarm Bracers
Gloves - Whatever
Belt - Whatever/Witching Hour/Inna's Favor
Pants - Inna's Temperance
Boots - Not sure, guessing either Nat boots, Ice Climbers or Fire Walkers?
Rings/Amulets - Usual Dex stuff
Weapons - Not sure; Right now I have an okay reduced level WKL with decent dex and vit, and a reduced level 1h mace with dex/vit/LS. I'm using Fists of Thunder, so upgrading the WKL maybe is in order, but I'm not sure if there's a specific offhand I should be getting. An Echoing Fury is out of the question probably right now ($$$), but other than those two I really don't know much about 1h melee weapons, so outside of obviously dex/LS/LOH/CD not sure if there's a specific one I should look for.

Also serious question though: when stacking resists for OWE purposes, is there a particular resist that is either more common or I should be looking for as the one I stack?

While it lasts ... check out my monks gear for some ideas. There should be crossover from your DH. A monk is cheap to play around with but expensive to farm efficiently so keep that in mind.

Your basic assumptions seem pretty on. I would get the inna's helm and pants. You can get a cheaper more effective set of bracers that way. Don't worry about laccuni or anything like that. Unless you go icewalkers instead of nats boots. You'll want 24% movement somewhere and getting that on incewalkers is expensive. If you did go that route you might want laccunis. Try and keep your AR at about 650-800 too. I tried not to drop below 33K life too.

MrDaravon

While it lasts ... check out my monks gear for some ideas. There should be crossover from your DH. A monk is cheap to play around with but expensive to farm efficiently so keep that in mind.

Your basic assumptions seem pretty on. I would get the inna's helm and pants. You can get a cheaper more effective set of bracers that way. Don't worry about laccuni or anything like that. Unless you go icewalkers instead of nats boots. You'll want 24% movement somewhere and getting that on incewalkers is expensive. If you did go that route you might want laccunis. Try and keep your AR at about 650-800 too. I tried not to drop below 33K life too.

Yeah, all of that seems about right. I'll probably just get the Monk to Inferno and be able to do MP1 okay or something and then leave it be for now, unless I really get into the character.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
The next patch will hopefully be pretty big. They usually have some word out about what they plan to address in it by now. But there is absolutely no word on anything except that they want to fix Monks. Im kind of hoping that they start talking about it this week some time.

Well, they also said they were looking at useless affixes like thorns. They want to make them useful (finally), but I think they also said this wouldn't be for 1.0.6.

Hey guys,

Trying to get back into D3.

This is my barb: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/tjohn86-1840/hero/1818746

I can run MP4 pretty easy. I would love some suggestions though. My drops in 1.05 so far have been pretty bad to say the least.

Your shoulders should be an easy and cheap upgrade for you. Your bracers need upgrading too. Maybe some Laccunis. Since your current ones don't have CC you can upgrade to some IAS / Movement Speed Laccunis for cheap. If no Laccuni, get some CC on those bracers.

tjohn86

Your shoulders should be an easy and cheap upgrade for you. Your bracers need upgrading too. Maybe some Laccunis. Since your current ones don't have CC you can upgrade to some IAS / Movement Speed Laccunis for cheap. If no Laccuni, get some CC on those bracers.

What should I look for in terms of shoulders? More STR?

What should I look for in terms of shoulders? More STR?

Yeah ... barbs can roll up to 300 STR on shoulders. You should be able to upgrade STR on yours for cheap.

EDIT ... I also notice you're running a 2H weapon with no Crit DMG. You have a lot of CC though. You would probably see nice improvement by moving to a dual wield set up, or at least getting CD on that weapon.

I think the AR might need to be ditched to get high Str shoulders. Unless youre rich I dunno.

190 STR 70AR and 100VIT shoulders are about 2-4 million. You can get 200+ STR w/ 70AR and 100 VIT starting at around 4 million.

Even 190 would be a nice 50 point boost to STR.

haven't played in a few days cuz school and pokemon, but i have made some progress in the last few weeks. what would you guys say is the next step? right now i'm experimenting with different builds to take advantage of my high crit chance (57% with scoundrel), but can't really find anything i like.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/balddemon-1627/hero/4815907

One of your rings only has one damage modifier. Rings are cheap now. You should be able to upgrade that ring pretty easy. Also ... you have a lot of life. Have you considered swapping some of those vit gems out for str ones?

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
Jay Wilson via Twitter: "We'll be doing a PVP blog update very soon. Sorry to keep you waiting."

about time! also just found this...what an amazing day

Ur5Bz.jpg

Cipherr

Its selfish, but I hope they just get the fucking PvP out there and get it over with so they can focus on the PvE section of the game for a long while. I dont care at ALL about PvP, I think the people looking forward to it are setting themselves up for tremendous disappointment.

WoW was developed as a PvE game first, and PvP was secondary, and that turned out to be a fucking mess PvP wise. I'm not expecting much difference here.

Its selfish, but I hope they just get the fucking PvP out there and get it over with so they can focus on the PvE section of the game for a long while. I dont care at ALL about PvP, I think the people looking forward to it are setting themselves up for tremendous disappointment.

WoW was developed as a PvE game first, and PvP was secondary, and that turned out to be a fucking mess PvP wise. I'm not expecting much difference here.

I'm not expecting much. I'm more or less just looking forward to some more variety.

Rufus

I think two or more PvP leagues tiered by gear would be interesting.

One that ignores paragon levels and only lets you use white and blue gear and one balls out, anything goes, P100, giant dick swinging league. Should at least let them avoid the problem of pissing off too many people at once by either invalidating the gear people have invested in or allowing those people to absolutely dominate the peasants.

Now class balance (or lack there of) is a whole other matter...

Still hoping on a never ending dungeon of sorts.
If there are two things I liked about Torchlight it's the re-rolling via the enchanter and the endless dungeon. I spent quite a lot of time in there, considering I didn't even like the game all that much. Which just reminds me that I might have a problem...

FaidSint

My e-peen would also like never ending dungeons with increasing difficulty and a scoreboard for reference.

Don't tease me like that. Now I'm going to be severely disappointed if we never see it.

But yeah, I would sink like a million hours into a never ending dungeon.

balddemon

Banned
anyone wanna help me get the hellfire plans? they are the worst

also i'm curious as to why i can't survive very well on higher MPs when my allies have no trouble. right now i'm at

55659 DPS
5123 armor (with enchantress and war cry-charge)
352 as lowest all resist
1337 life on hit
2.5% life steal

yet i die all the time lol. my build sucks? i suck? i'm totally prepared to accept the latter haha

Ok GAF. I have a dilemma. I'm bored of my monk. It's been played a long time and, now that I've played some WD I'm wondering why I never tried playing other classes sooner.

Someone best described the monk to me as "passive". None of the skills are really good at doing damage on their own and they're not very interesting with the exception of a couple. Instead, monks use a bunch of forgettable skills to increase their damage output.

MoC - Boring Mantra cast and recast 3 min later to increase damage output
BoH - A useless healing spell used for a 15% damage output increase over 45 seconds
Sweeping Wind - Another cast and forget spell. Never use it with the exception of the begining of a fight.
Thunderclap - pretty standard main attack. Good ... probably our most interesting main attack IMO.
Serenity - Standard defensive "o shit" spell.

That leaves one spell for damage attacks. Exploding palm is nice, but doesn't work well with echoing fury. SSS is OK. The bell is OK. Nothing spectacular and all beyond played out at this point for me.

THE GOOD NEWS! I'm super stoked on WD. Now to my dilemma. The WD seams cheap to gear. My WD has about 40-60 million in gear and is already almost 100k DPS. I COULD sell all my monk gear (600-800 million most likely when said an done), deck out my WD, and then cash out on the rest.

I would not have a monk to play anymore though ... which is a weird thought to me.

What say you GAF?

Do you still farm with your Monk?

From my experience I found WD quite slow in that regard despite being a lot more interesting to play. You could downgrade your Monk, selling your weapons and maybe get a cheap LS Skorn for Tempest Rush runs.

More than anything, find something you enjoy. With another 100m your WD would be in a pretty good position. I was shocked at how much I built up mine for only 40m

Get two pieces of AR Immortal Kings.

If you are low on cash cheapest would probably be the belt and the boots. The bonus 60AR helps. I think you actually get more too cause of Impunity so you really get 75?

Get more LS. Look for a better off hand with Socket + LS ~800 dps should be pretty cheap. Upgrade the 45% crit gem in your offhand to at least a Star.

I'm trying to get LS back on both my weapons but its gunna cost me a lot. I have 6% it works pretty well.

Then again I don't know about this Bash/Rend build you have. Spin to win.

balddemon

Banned
ok got IK gloves and belt. helps a lot.

AR up to 493 w/o impunity, 592 w/.
DPS up to 60985 w/ Battle Rage-Into the Fray.
Also up to 3% Life Steal.

Great suggestion on the IK stuff lol, i had no idea.

Another question, what rune do you guys use for WW? Hurricane?
And how does loh/ls scale with crits? because if i was getting 15 fury for every crit i do, i'd never ever run out, but thats not happening.

kennah

You bought a belt? Dang I had one you could have had. IK is pretty awesome. Need to finish it.

And nat's

And zunimasa's

Sigh

I really only WW large groups and use the WW where you gain fury with each hit. Should last forever. When the pack dwindles down I start to cleave because the damage is higher.

Vodh

I'm not running pierce. That value includes gems and the zunni chest I found and a pretty sweet laccuni bracer I found. I've spent almost nothing on him so far.

If you could switch to EU your WD would be wearing at least 70m worth of gear - cheapest lacunis with int, vit and 4.5% crit on EU ah are 58m right now lol.

That being said, don't sell your gear. I've sold all my (shitty) gear from my consecutive mains like 5 times now and I've regretted it every time. Finally came to my mind about that just recently and now I have a set for my monk and wiz at the same time, feels good.

And today I've just randomly spent all my money (4m lol) on gearing up a Barb. Gave him Monk's gems and weapons and I must say, plowing through inferno mp2 with a WW barb is pretty damn fun. Might even decide to stick with him for longer.

If you could switch to EU your WD would be wearing at least 70m worth of gear - cheapest lacunis with int, vit and 4.5% crit on EU ah are 58m right now lol.

That being said, don't sell your gear. I've sold all my (shitty) gear from my consecutive mains like 5 times now and I've regretted it every time. Finally came to my mind about that just recently and now I have a set for my monk and wiz at the same time, feels good.

And today I've just randomly spent all my money (4m lol) on gearing up a Barb. Gave him Monk's gems and weapons and I must say, plowing through inferno mp2 with a WW barb is pretty damn fun. Might even decide to stick with him for longer.

The bracers are funny. I found them on the very next run after I bought a pair without crit for cheap. The dps boost wasn't huge though because i also lost a chunk of int.

I'm probably not going to sell the gear. I played the monk for a second today and had fun. I'm also a giant vagina. Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom