• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT5| Finally out of Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Demy

I don't think that's good advice... Life Steal doesn't make much difference until you have monster DPS in my opinion.

I'd upgrade your mainhand weapon. AT your stats though, I'm not sure why you're struggling in MP1. I don't know too much about monks though :(

LS becomes better than LoH around 60k and he already has that so he's ready for LS. Only thing I'd suggest is to get a little bit of LoH to buffer the LS when your not critting. A unity with 300loh is good for that. Also look to replace your OH with a mace or spear with about the same stats, but LS instead of LoH and put it in your MH.

Vodh

LS becomes better than LoH around 60k and he already has that so he's ready for LS. Only thing I'd suggest is to get a little bit of LoH to buffer the LS when your not critting. A unity with 300loh is good for that. Also look to replace your OH with a mace or spear with about the same stats, but LS instead of LoH and put it in your MH.

AFAIK it doesn't matter which weapon is in which hand. Certainly doesn't change anything in your DPS chart.

Demy

AFAIK it doesn't matter which weapon is in which hand. Certainly doesn't change anything in your DPS chart.

True to a point. I suggested the mace/spear MH because with their slower atk speed they will have higher dmg ranges. You want the highest dmg range in your MH for SW specs.

I personally wouldn't want less than two pieces having LS. I really want it back on my offhand so I can get back up to 8-9%. Its so nice though seeing your health climb up back up so quickly.

I prefer to tank though, both my rings have 250ish LoH and my ammy has 750.

Get a solid amount of LoH ~1000 and 5-6% LS and as long as you do damage youll stay alive. Your resists should be good, with Impunity I'm at 615 and I don't think I died once last night at all doing MP3-5's.

MrDaravon

I just got lucky and snagged a boot upgrade and amulet upgrade for next to nothing (about a mil total) and a 9% Inna pants with 40+ lightning resists for 2 mil which brought my HP up to 45k and all of my resists up to 682, then as I was looking for a 1H with dex/socket/CD/LS found this completely by accident:

KRjNr.jpg

Sniped it right when it was at 1d12h for 3 mil, a very quick look around didn't show anything super comparable until double the cost, but I've got enough money right now where even if it wasn't a super amazing deal I'll still take it. I am curious if anyone has input if I actually did get a spectacular deal or not, there didn't seem to be much like it and they were all mostly waaaay more expensive.

It came with that gem in it which I'll replace, and with my upgrades I'm actually sitting at 45k health so that huge HP loss shown actually isn't that big a deal. My question is whether or not I should replace my WKL with this, or my rare offhand with this. As far as I can tell with WKL the lightning damage boost is pretty decent since I run FoT, but on WKL's you can't get dex/slot/CD AND LoH/LS. So I guess does anyone have any input on whether or not it would be worth losing the lightning damage on the WKL? That stuff doesn't show on your paper doll and I'm not familiar enough with monk play yet so I'm not sure.

For direct comparison (the gems will be replaced, just there for equal comparison purposes):

AgvCP.jpg

IkqSH.jpg

I'd go Fist/Mace. The LoH and LS will surely make up the loss of health. Having the Won Kim kind of just shoehorns you into an item you cant get out of, these two pure weapons will eventually be upgradeable. Until you are getting into that Monk weapon set Shenlong or whatever I wouldn't worry about lightning damage and whatnot.

MrDaravon

Hmmm, so according to an amazing thread over in the Monk forum on bnet regarding Monks and affixes, 25% Lightning damage on the WKL's equals ~137% CD, which makes mine equal to about 82% CD. In this case that means that taking the Mace over the WKL is about a wash damage-wise (about +400 dmg), so I'd be trading 7k HP for the LoH AND LS. Which bearing in mind that I already have 42k HP seems like it's probably worth it, so I'm going to roll with that I think. Still open to any further input though.

On the Shenlong stuff, I looked into that a bit online, but it seems like most Monks don't fuck with them ultimately because they can't CD/socket/LS. Online it seems like most Monk weapon discussions revolve around debating what combination of WKL, EF, or Rare you should use.

I just got this for 222,222 gold on the AH.

I've never played a WD, but that seems completely insane. If so congrats!

I'd go Fist/Mace. The LoH and LS will surely make up the loss of health. Having the Won Kim kind of just shoehorns you into an item you cant get out of, these two pure weapons will eventually be upgradeable. Until you are getting into that Monk weapon set Shenlong or whatever I wouldn't worry about lightning damage and whatnot.

Don't go for Shenlong. In order to maximize your DPS output you need the one random roll on each piece to roll a socket. This would prevent the ability for a monk to have any LS. I had to get rid of my old set for that reason. They're overpriced because they're a set too. The weapons I have now are comparable in price, give me more health regen and give me more DPS.

I just got this for 222,222 gold on the AH.

WFn84.png

v0v

My WD has been looking for this. 190 INT / 220 AVG DPS / 8 Crit Chance set mojos are like 40million. Maybe it's because I was looking for super high int as well, but yours has perfect crit chance. It's surely worth much muchmore than what you paid. Congrats.

MrDaravon

Awww yeah, snagged a chest piece off the AH for 2 mil right when it went up that was 85 dex / 165 vit / 40 lightning resist / 70 all resist / 3 sockets. Only dropped my damage and HP by about 1200 each, but I had no resists at all on the previous piece so now my resists are at 808.

So for somewhere between 14-15 mil total (including making Star gems) I was able to gear a 60 monk for this:

yEjpF.jpg

I am extremely pleased, and this has actually made me want to keep playing this character for a while. I specifically did not want to take any gear from my DH, I've got some gear on that character that would boost this one considerably. The only freebies were both of my rings; the Hellfire ring is kinda shit, but it had 50 LR and 33 AR, and the other ring was one that I had up on the AH when I started this character that has pretty decent dmg/dex/LR/AR/CC/CD, so that's a bit of a cheat but nothing other than that. I think the next stop is to probably start trying to get that Armor rating up along with my damage, I think I'm pretty good on Resists for now :p

Anustart

Slowly creeping towards high end gems. I'm terrible with gold and will spend it upon receiving enough for a slight upgrade, so I started just crafting gems to store my money. Up to like 6 flawless stars, and a couple loose stars.

Figure when it's time to get a big upgrade I can just downgrade my gems 1 level and pocket 10 million.

MrDaravon

Yeah, I just hopped in someone's MP4 game and got bodied against a bad combination of affixes on an elite lol. Still good times though. About to hop back into my MP1 game, let's see how this goes, my damage is only slightly higher but my survivability is way higher now.

Opiate

I'd be interested in doing some Infernal Machine runs if anyone is interested in the near future. I'm gathering my own keys for now. I have two accounts, one which I inherited from a friend; PM me and I can give both account names if interested, or you can PM me yours.

us/eu? I'm Juices#1991 on US servers. Have a bunch of machines myself, usually play later at night too. Anyone on GAF can send me a request.

pompidu

Anyone having problems with the act3 warden not showing up? Last 3 runs I couldn't find him. Looked everywhere. Did they move him?

Awww yeah, snagged a chest piece off the AH for 2 mil right when it went up that was 85 dex / 165 vit / 40 lightning resist / 70 all resist / 3 sockets. Only dropped my damage and HP by about 1200 each, but I had no resists at all on the previous piece so now my resists are at 808.

So for somewhere between 14-15 mil total (including making Star gems) I was able to gear a 60 monk for this:

yEjpF.jpg

I am extremely pleased, and this has actually made me want to keep playing this character for a while. I specifically did not want to take any gear from my DH, I've got some gear on that character that would boost this one considerably. The only freebies were both of my rings; the Hellfire ring is kinda shit, but it had 50 LR and 33 AR, and the other ring was one that I had up on the AH when I started this character that has pretty decent dmg/dex/LR/AR/CC/CD, so that's a bit of a cheat but nothing other than that. I think the next stop is to probably start trying to get that Armor rating up along with my damage, I think I'm pretty good on Resists for now :p

Hope this is not taken negatively, but you're actually better off raising your DPS by another 40k and break the 100k barrier while lowering you resists to the 500's than sacrificing all that DPS for a couple percentage points in damage reduction.

Also, it's not very effective to have high damage reduction from resists while having low armor.

I've been a monk since the game came out, just sayin'.

EDIT: I really wish there was another exp route other than doing low mp act 3 runs D= I'm gaining around 60m an hour, but man, it starts to get old at some point.

I'm currently at level 73 and heading towards 74 (half way through the bar)

MrDaravon

Yeah, the bulk of the resists came from 3 pieces I bought at next to nothing that were already DPS upgrades as-is, definitely aware those will come down as my DPS (and ideally) armor go up. The LoH/LS additions are made are probably making up the bulk of my added survivability. I'm already at the point though were upgrades are a few million each, so I'm just actually playing her for a bit and see how that goes right now. I'm sitting on 20 mil right now, but still not positive I'm going to stick with her for a long period of time so I don't want to make any relatively large investments. Just cleared Act 1 on Inferno MP1, the added resists/LoH/LS made the difference I needed previously, I can outdamage and outheal desecrator pools and death explosions (forget what they're called), etc. Only died once, and it was me in the middle of a Savage Beast Elite mob with Arcanes going and they all death exploded at once, and I was more just curious if it would kill me or not, and it only just barely did it seems. Outside of that I just need to occasionally back off if there's super crazy shit happening, like arcane, death explosions, and fire pools all going off at the exact same time or something. But so far so good, but obviously a lot of room for improvement that I may or may not make right now.

As an aside, I know I am incredibly late on this, but I decided to roll with an Enchantress on my Monk since I had never used her previously, and her with Maximus is fucking hilarious. "Oh hi, there is constantly a bigass fire demon rolling with me, also I turned you into a chicken."

Edit: Out of curiosity I pulled all of my equipment off of my DH and checked it out with my Monk; with that gear and un-equipping the Hellfire Ring I can get up to right at 100k unbuffed with about 5k armor, but my resists plummet to about 310. A few pieces are across the board upgrades (shoulders, Unity, etc), but a lot of the pieces wind up being weird trade-offs like my DH's Witching Hour, etc. Decided rather than just picking and choosing pieces and having to mess with that I'm just going to keep my Monk as-is with her gear, but I DID make the compromise of pulling off all the relevant gems from my DH's gear, which on it's own raised my damage to about 74k unbuffed.

What to upgrade next, GAF?

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Tsukihiro-1173/hero/9620653

I think at this point I can start looking at my weapons again. For it to be worth buying anything with critical damage, I tested it out, I need at least 1k DPS weapons with critical damage, otherwise the gain is minimal (2 or 3k).

I'm tempted to buy at 1.1k+ DPS weapon with 80+ dex which give me some significant DPS boost and will come much, much cheaper than a critical hit weapon.

VALKYRAY

Banned
sell tab, right click on the ring, then chose search for similiar items. if nothing comes up, then change the stats a bit. EX: removing the cold resis, change the crit chance to 5

VALKYRAY

Banned
RIP monk.
i gave up on monk. monk is too gear dependent and gears are too expensive.
I sold my monk gears in rage and bought full set of gears for wizard. guess what, with the same amount, my wizard has 210K DPS where as the monk only had 90K

sell tab, right click on the ring, then chose search for similiar items. if nothing comes up, then change the stats a bit. EX: removing the cold resis, change the crit chance to 5

(in eu)

no similar searching only for all res, int, cp, cd... :S

similar only under 30% < of CD or less

M.D

Are you guys excited when a legendary/set item drop now? I get so many of them now that I never get excited when one drops. I always expect them to be shit, and they are 85% of the time. I think the only time I'm excited is when it's an item I need to upgrade (but it always turns out to be shit)

Anustart

Finally found a legendary that doesn't just outright suck, some Ice Climbers. 241 int, 12% life, 73 ar, gold find :/, str :/ poison res :/.

Cipherr

Are you guys excited when a legendary/set item drop now? I get so many of them now that I never get excited when one drops. I always expect them to be shit, and they are 85% of the time. I think the only time I'm excited is when it's an item I need to upgrade (but it always turns out to be shit)

I get them a ton more post patch, and Im still always happy to see that brown/orange beam lol.

DirtyLary

They are the new yellows. Kinda like back when we all hit Act2 inferno for the 1st time. We got so excited to see those lvl 63 yellows drop, only to be let down. Rinse repeat.

People in D3 game chat need to realize OMG WOW it's a legendary item! it must be worth 20mill obo, stop spamming brimestone items.

M.D

Well, another one dropped since I last posted

A shitty Sky Splitter :)

I need your help guys. I know I've asked this a lot before, but now I actually have a decent amount of money :p

This is my profile

So, the main three things I'm thinking about replacing are my belt, braces and boots

Belt - I'm trying to get The Witching Hour with 70-100 STR and 40-50AR, since I'll lose 77AR on my current belt. I will also lose the life steal from my belt.

Braces - I have to get the Lacuni for movement speed. I'm so slow :(
I will lose 61AR and 44FA, since I can't afford crit lacuni with good AR (I was not wearing my usual braces when the profile updated, but was when I took that screenshot)

Boots - I have to keep the movement speed, so it's pretty much Fire Walkers. I'm trying to get ones with 200+ STR, VIT and 50+AR

Other questions - Should I get some attack speed? maybe replace my right ring?

FaidSint

File this under mildly interesting if nothing else, but a friend who hasn't played since basically launch week hopped on due to my resurgent interest and blabbering on about nothing but D3 in Teamspeak. I took a look at his gear (awful.. just awful, even for a level 52 - his main). But I did see this little treasure. I told him if the stats were a level 60 roll, it'd be worth an insane amount, as it is, I bet its still worth something. I just have no idea what. I'd say its pretty close to BiS for a level 23 Ammy, and probably would last a barb leveling up til like 50 or something.

pTkTz.png

MrDaravon

^ Man, I would have no idea how to even price that. I agree with you that it's probably worth something. I'd probably do either the price high and drop until it sells, or put it up with no buyout and see what happens.

Probably a silly question, but LoH on a ring would essentially apply to both weapons you have if you're dual-wielding, correct? So for example say you had a 1H with no LoH and your offhand had 400 LoH, but you dropped the LoH 1H and picked up a Ring with 300 LoH, wouldn't you essentially come out ahead in that scenario since you'd be getting 300 LoH with each of your weapons, or is that not how that works?

LOH work on each hit regardless of hand hitting. If you have 300LOH on one weapon, one with nothing and one ring with 400 LOH, you get 700 LOH for each hit.

MrDaravon

LOH work on each hit regardless of hand hitting. If you have 300LOH on one weapon, one with nothing and one ring with 400 LOH, you get 700 LOH for each hit.

Wait, so even if I only have say 300 LoH on one hand and that's it, I still get 300 LoH when each of my weapons hits?

Wait, so even if I only have say 300 LoH on one hand and that's it, I still get 300 LoH when each of my weapons hits?

Yes. You get that LOH for each hit. It doesn't have to be the hand that has the LOH. If you have one weapon with 250 LOH, one with 500 LOH and a ring with 350 LOH, you would have 1050 LOH each hit.

MrDaravon

Oh God fucking damn it. It's a bit of a moot point for me right now, but I would have made different gear choices previously, and I may or may not have bought the Unity I'm using now; bought it because I bought a 1H that was about a 10k damage increase but I was losing the ~500 LoH on the weapon it was replacing. The Unity itself was still about a 2k damage upgrade on it's own so not a total waste or anything, but I may have opted for a rare ring for the same cost (but I did get a steal on the Unity, had Vit and was only like 1.7 mil). Good to know for future reference, learn something new everyday -_-.

turnbuckle

Because I'm foolish, I didn't mention that I'm US. Which I am.

I'll be on later tonight and can run some ubers if you're available. I have a couple machines myself. If not tonight, I'd be down for running ubers or key farming some other time as well.

Feel free to add me: Turnbuckle#1273

Anustart

Anyone have an idea on this mojo? Looks phenomenal as an mf off hand, and it has decent damage, perfect regen, perfect dam vs elites, and 1 off from perfect on poison dart. Plus the vit on there....

No clue if it's valuable because of the mf or not.

1yfgA.png

Anyone have an idea on this mojo? Looks phenomenal as an mf off hand, and it has decent damage, perfect regen, perfect dam vs elites, and 1 off from perfect on poison dart. Plus the vit on there....

No clue if it's valuable because of the mf or not.

1yfgA.png

Now CC and low AVD DMG. Not worth as much as you want.

Because I'm foolish, I didn't mention that I'm US. Which I am.

I'll be playing this weekend and a little tonight ...

Fenderputty#1180

Anustart

Sorry for two posts like this so close together, but the only hats with similar stats to this one are a couple tals helms that have 100 mil buyouts.

Anyone know a relative value of this thing?

cV0hZ.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom